PDA

View Full Version : Home video monitoring system

DCP
07-16-2014, 08:50 AM
What to monitor my front door. It is in a unheated sunroom

I thought about a trail camera. Lots of different ratings I swear manufacturer goes into the others manufacturer’s ratings and give them negative ratings.

Thought about a baby monitor or may be a home video monitoring system, reviews are just like on the trail cameras.

Wi-Fi would be nice

Regardless of what system I use I know I have lots of options. Hopefully it won’t break the bank and be reliable.

So what are you guys using or recommend?

Thanks

fastfire
07-16-2014, 11:44 AM
I use motion detectors with a receiver in the house.
http://www.drivewayalarmproducts.com/site/1313933/product/60-500AS this can use up to 4 motion detectors for 4 locations. When it goes off it says which location has detected motion.
If you shop around you can get better prices than this.

DCP
07-19-2014, 07:44 AM
I use motion detectors with a receiver in the house.
http://www.drivewayalarmproducts.com/site/1313933/product/60-500AS this can use up to 4 motion detectors for 4 locations. When it goes off it says which location has detected motion.
If you shop around you can get better prices than this.

Thanks

Petrol & Powder
07-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Do you want a hidden camera or an obvious camera?

Do you want to record the images or just monitor them?

Do you need low light capability?

My advice is to decide what you want to accomplish first and then seek the equipment needed rather than seeking the gear first.

If you just want to monitor the door an obvious camera is fine. If you want to record the images for future use as evidence of criminal activity, I would suggest a hidden camera and a hidden DVR located inside to store the video.

MaryB
07-19-2014, 10:56 PM
If you want low light capability make sure the IR illuminators don't put off a glow. That can alert experienced criminals to the presence of a camera and they will use a different door or a window.

DCP
07-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Thanks to all that replied

PB234
07-26-2014, 10:53 PM
I just purchased and set up a Dropcam brand camera which is owned by Nest company and Nest is owned by Google. Easy to set up and decent video quality and IR video quality. Can view what is happening on a smart phone or computer anywhere you are hooked up to the web. Also a microphone so you can listen in on the space. Email alerts when motion is detected. For extra $ you can have the video recorded on a cloud and available for you to play back. Has a bunch of other features too. Worth looking into.