PDA

View Full Version : Zinc bullets and mold size

Animal
07-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Okay folks, in an attempt to not thread-jack another members thread, I'd like to ask a few questions here. I'd like to attempt a cast zinc bullet for a 7.62x39. I understand that the bullets tend to drop under-sized and about 65% of the weight of its lead counterpart. Before I go any further, if anyone here is anti-zinc, this thread is probably not for you. Remember, A/C current was bashed by some of the worlds greatest minds while D/C was the norm, yet you are using it to power your computer.

If I want a zinc bullet to drop from a mold at approx .313 and weight about 122gr, would it be worthwhile to look into a .329 dia 200gr mold? And are Lee molds out of the question due to high temps? I've read some mixed reviews on Zinc with aluminum molds. Can a Lee die size these hard bullets without too much trouble?

It doesn't look like there is a lot of good info out there, so I understand I'm going to have to do a lot of experimenting. I've got lots of Zn, so that is okay.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/941952/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-c329-205-1r-8x56mm-rimmed-hungarian-329-diameter-205-grain-round-nose-1-ogive-radius-gas-check?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I'm hopeful that this mold will drop a zinc bullet that can be used as .312-.313 around the 122gr mark... Buy it and try it? or walk away?

runfiverun
07-14-2014, 06:18 PM
zinc should be fairly close in diameter..
if you look at it's melt temp and what you need above that to make it pour properly, you are still under 900-f your LEE pot should get you there.
you might have to play with the contact strip inside the cover to get it that hot but it's doable.
you just need the pot to cycle longer.
I'd go with a mold that is a good fit to the gun with lead and start there, if you need .001-2 more than lap the mold out a little.
once you get things figured out then have a good mold cut.
remember zinc's hardness.
you'll have to work around cutting the sprue, or squaring the base, as much as anything else.

it must be doable, they used to sell zinc bullets by the hundreds [company called jugular] in the 50's.
but I don't think they had aluminum molds back then.