PDA

View Full Version : Fed Licenses Required?

nooneimportant
01-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Gentlemen,

While reading on another board I ran up on an individual who clams one must have a "FFL of some sort" to sell cast lead bullets commercially.

That "Commercial casting is in the realm of ammunition manufacturing"

Now I was a FFL ammo manufacturer some time back. and selling cast bullets was not mentioned.

Has something change I am unaware of?
I realize you would need Stat/local business licenses
But is there now a Fed licenses to make and sell cast bullets?

johnho
01-21-2008, 11:37 PM
I think there was a discussion on this on this site some time ago. Based on that discussion, where ever it was, there was a link to a site that had the forms and information which I got and now can't find. In short, yes, you need a FFL of some class to sell "components" of ammunition which include cast bullets.

John

garandsrus
01-22-2008, 12:33 AM
nooneimportant,

Yes, you need a Type 6 FFL since a cast boolit is an "ammunition component"...

John

Adam10mm
01-22-2008, 12:55 AM
According to the GCA, ammunition is complete cartridges and any component of ammunition.

The FFL type is a 06 FFL like mine here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/Boolit%20Casting/DSC03040.jpg

hammerhead357
01-22-2008, 01:23 AM
Well for some reason I thought that the laws had changed and if a person or company was selling only cast lead bullets that they did not have to have an FFL. Perhaps I am wrong and that is more than likely....Wes

Adam10mm
01-22-2008, 02:29 AM
I'm heading off to bed right now but if you go to the ATF's FAQs they define what is ammunition under the Gun Control Act.

mastercast.com
01-22-2008, 03:48 AM
Yes indeed, you must have a type 6 FFL to sell cast bullets. They are a "component of ammunition" and require that license. It is a "Whopping" $30.00 for a three year license. It also covers manufacture and remanufacture of completed ammunition. Why? You are making some money in the eye of the Feds, the State, etc., and they want a piece of your pie, for lack of a better way to say it.

If you plan to manufacture or remanufacture(reload) ammo at some point, do not fail to get Product Liability Insurance.

Get a load of this....I just got an e-mail that notified me that the not so great state of Illininazi(Illinois) is attempting to pass a law that bans the possession, manufacture, use, etc., of "Assisted Opening Knives"...you might think that applies to "Switchblade knives" that are already banned/prohibited under our Unlawful Use Of Weapons law. Nooooooooooooooo! It also applies to "Knives that require manipulation of the blade"...can someone tell me how in the hell you can open a folding knife without manipulation of the blade? I am not the sharpest tack in the box, but I can't seem to figure that one out! No more folding knives in Illininazi if that one passes. Good God in a gunnysack!

Jim
01-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Mastercast,
I wonder if they're talking about knives with the thumb lug on the blade close to the handle?

wiljen
01-22-2008, 08:41 AM
I have an assisted-opening knife - they are still spring driven like a switchblade, the difference is that the spring is not strong enough to do the whole job. If the spring propels the blade to 75% and the pressure applied by your thumb to the back edge (initiator) produces the other 25% of the movement then it is not a switchblade because spring tension alone would not have locked the knife open. Its a game of semantics really. For all practical purposes, the assisted openers are switchblades, take the spring out and its just an ordinary liner lock.

Wayne Smith
01-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Yes indeed, you must have a type 6 FFL to sell cast bullets. They are a "component of ammunition" and require that license. It is a "Whopping" $30.00 for a three year license. It also covers manufacture and remanufacture of completed ammunition. Why? You are making some money in the eye of the Feds, the State, etc., and they want a piece of your pie, for lack of a better way to say it.

Back in the 1920's sportsmen taxed themselves to support conservation. I've forgotten the name of the act - Pittman something, or something Pittman? Anyway, this is the 'excise tax' that they are wanting from us. This tax has, over the years, funded every state's fish and game department, has funded reams and reams of research on game management, and is largely responsible for modern game management. Something in the back of my mind tells me it's a 17% assessment, but I'm not sure. We pay it every time we buy a gun, ammo, components (?), or other sporting goods. Fishermen pay it as well. I think it's well worth it and would vote for it again if it came to a vote.

Yes, you need an 06 FFL to make and sell ammunition or it's components. This includes Boolits. If you sell them the government, reasonably, expects you to collect that excise tax, the one we put on ourselves, or rather our grandfathers did for us, thank God!

happy7
01-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Do you have to collect the tax on bullets, or just loaded rounds? I know reloads are exempt.

Adam10mm
01-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Complete loaded cartridges, whether from new components or reloaded (like the Black Hills Blue box or Ultramax ammo). The tax rate is 11% of the sale price. Ammunition loaded for demonstration or sampling purposes is subject to the tax.

There is no excise tax on components, just loaded ammunition. Personal handloads are exempt from licensing and FET, commercial ammunition is subject to the tax. An exception is if a customer give me shells to be reloaded, they retain title to said shells, and the identical shells are used for that customer. All three have to apply.

Certain government agencies are exempt from the excise tax. Federal law enforcement agencies are NOT EXEMPT FROM THIS TAX no matter what they try to tell you. I spoke to a woman who works for the ATF's Tax and Trade Bureau and we went over the federal excise tax in great detail as it applies to a manufacture of ammunition. The law is very specific of whom is exempt, federally speaking. Believe it or not, the railroad cops are exempt but the FBI and DEA aren't. They both have to pay the tax. There are a few specific units amongst the Department of Justice that are exempt but not the entire department as a whole.

Local goverment police and public safety departments are exempt from the tax, but there can be no middle man (except common contract carrier for shipment, etc). I can sell to my village PD directly and not collect the excise tax. But if I sell to my local gun shop who sells it to them, I have to pay the tax on the ammo I sold to the gun shop but they would not have to pay the tax because they are going agency direct. If I sell to LE, it will be agency direct.

http://www.ttb.gov/firearms/faqs.shtml#Ammunition

mastercast.com
01-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Jim and Wiljen:

The new knife law proposed in Illinois specifically mentions "spring assisted folding knives" and any other folding knife "that requires manipulation of the blade to open it"..."spring assisted knives" as stated, start to open with the assistance of a spring and require "manipulation" with the users thumb or other finger to open. Folding knives that are opened with a thumb stud is still manipulation of the blade. Any time you move the blade on a folding knife to open it by any method, you are still manipulating the blade. Soooo, if that totally unnecessary little law passes, there will be no more legal folding knives in Illinois. Possession, of course, will be a felony. The concocted pretext being used to justify the passage of this new law is "the prevention of sneak knife attacks"...we must have had quite a spate of those lately that did not make the news.(At least in the minds of those pushing the passage of that silly law.)