PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning black powder fire arms!

Fly
07-12-2014, 05:26 PM
This tread will be long but It's fun any way.Yes I have used hot soap & water for YEARS.
But I noticed after cleaning my guns on my back deck, our French doors where turning
black from my hands.

Welp my wife came down on me AGAIN.I tried everything in effert to clean them.What
I found to remove it BEST from the doors was housewhole ammonia.That got me to thinking?What the heck
so I tried it on a clean swab in a gun I just cleaned with soap & water.WOW you could
not beleave what I missed.

Let the replieys begin, for this topic will never stop.But I,m saying this.JUST try it.

Fly:bigsmyl2:

swathdiver
07-12-2014, 05:46 PM
So you added ammonia to your soap and water routine?

country gent
07-12-2014, 06:18 PM
As a range cleaning wiping soulution I have been using windex with vinegar or windex multi surface cleaner. You havent got hammered by your wife until you get caught running the ruger old armies through the dishwasher LOL

pworley1
07-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Ammonia works great, but don't let it be the last thing you use. It will promote rust.

Zymurgy50
07-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Equal parts rubbing alcohol, 3% hydrogen peroxide, and Murphys oil soap. 1 wet patch, followed by 2 or 3 dry patches.

Whiterabbit
07-12-2014, 07:54 PM
sure, any rust getter will work. Vinegar will do it to. So will hydrochloric acid. But if you let it drip on your finish, there goes your browning....

There is such a thing as too clean.

roverboy
07-12-2014, 09:22 PM
I've never used ammonia but, have used a bunch of rubbing alcohol(90% or higher). Of course I've used a lot of soap and scalding hot water over the years too. I've been meaning to try Murphy's oil soap.

Bodean74
07-12-2014, 09:32 PM
As a range cleaning wiping soulution I have been using windex with vinegar or windex multi surface cleaner. You havent got hammered by your wife until you get caught running the ruger old armies through the dishwasher LOL

Soap and water for me until today....Thanks country gent!!

Fly
07-12-2014, 09:41 PM
I can tell you this.I scrubed those doors with everything we had, even simple green I thought
well I,m going to paint it.Then I found the house whole ammonia as the last resort.That black
powder grud just melted & started running down the door.It's amazing.

I just say try it, for your self.It really does work.
Fly

swathdiver
07-13-2014, 01:13 AM
So try it on our doors or sixguns? :bigsmyl2:

Does it speed up the cleaning process of your sixguns while you still clean them with soap and water?

waksupi
07-13-2014, 01:26 AM
Equal parts rubbing alcohol, 3% hydrogen peroxide, and Murphys oil soap. 1 wet patch, followed by 2 or 3 dry patches.

I posted a picture some time ago of a barrel section I put hydrogen peroxide on, and left to it's own devices. Excellent browning solution, for inside or out.

Tatume
07-13-2014, 06:49 AM
Household ammonia (5-10%) is an excellent solute for various salts.

dondiego
07-13-2014, 10:42 AM
I have used windex with ammonia to good effect. You need to remove any traces of that with water followed by dry patches and then apply a good rust preventative to finish off.

2ndAmendmentNut
07-13-2014, 04:50 PM
Maybe it's just me, or the particularly dry area I live in. When I am done at the range I spray the bore with a coat of Ballistol. Once home just plain old hot water and the bore is clean. After the bore is clean I swab it with a patch lubed with a natural grease such as pork fat.

Plastikosmd
07-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Using it for years and years
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/r%20l%20morris/379c7e24.jpg

Tatume
07-13-2014, 06:44 PM
I clean with ordinary cold tap water. Here in Eastern Virginia it is quite humid too, and I've never had the slightest problem with rust in my bores. I am very particular about making certain the bore is completely dry and coating the bore with a good rust preventative.

Col4570
07-19-2014, 03:37 PM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/001-34.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/001-34.jpg.html)
I use Mr Muscle Kitchen,it cleans Black powder guns like Billy ho.

pdgh59
07-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Thorough cleaning with Ed's Red followed up hot soapy water and then a final oiling.

Geezer in NH
07-20-2014, 08:50 PM
I posted a picture some time ago of a barrel section I put hydrogen peroxide on, and left to it's own devices. Excellent browning solution, for inside or out.
Yep you left it to it's own. You have to use a water displacing oil and then a protectant like RIG then it won't brown rust or eat the metal.

gnoahhh
07-21-2014, 10:26 AM
I take easily de-mountable barrels (shotgun, musket, etc.) along with a cleaning rod and a fistfull of patches into the hot shower with me. Kills two birds with one stone.

Rifles that are a PIA to remove their barrels, I use the alcohol/oil soap/peroxide solution followed by thoroughly oiling. 20+ years of that I never got a trace of rust.

pietro
07-21-2014, 10:54 AM

FWIW, in 1985 I bought a (then) new T/C .45 Cherokee.

The first thing I did with it was heat the bbl a bit in my household oven, then treat the bore with BoreButter (I know, I know - save it).

Every year, from then to last, I always fired it to check zero before the start of my state's muzzleloading deer season, then fired it again (almost every year) at a deer.

After EVERY day's use (if the rifle was fired), I would flush out the bore/patent breech/nipple with MooseMilk (T/C #13 Bore Cleaner) and a few patches on the ramrod; followed by several dry patches (until the dry patches came out a light gray).

One pass of a BoreButtered patch after the cleaning, and the Cherokee was good to go.

After 29 years and zero rust/corrosion, with the rifle retaining the same accuracy as when it was new, I think it's good enough for me.

K.I.S.S. - if it ain't broke, I don't "fix" it (my cleaning method).

If YMMV, good - after all, they're your guns.

John Boy
07-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Fly ... take off the nitrile gloves before you open the French Doors! Most folks take off their muddy boots before they go into the house also!

End of Thread - End of Being Yelled At

johnson1942
07-21-2014, 04:32 PM
pietro, cant get any better than that, if you ever want to sell that pristine gun, let me know.

pietro
07-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Fly ... take off the nitrile gloves before you open the French Doors! Most folks take off their muddy boots before they go into the house also!

? ? ? ? ? ?

Fly
07-22-2014, 11:45 AM

Who knows???? I must have pissed him off in the past.Sorry if I hurt your feeling.

Fly

SSGOldfart
07-22-2014, 12:01 PM

yep kinda what I was thinking Humm never know it might just work

dondiego
07-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Who knows???? I must have pissed him off in the past.Sorry if I hurt your feeling.

Fly
I think that John was saying that if you use nitrile gloves you wouldn't mess up the door and the wife would stop yelling at you.

Boogieman
07-23-2014, 01:00 PM
I use 2 easy to make products to clean & protect my ML's. the cleaner is 1 part oil soap, 1 part NAPA water soluble cutting oil & 8 parts water. It cleans good & works as a patch lub. on the range't. For rust protection & a patch lub. for hunting I mix bee's wax & olive oil 50/50 to start & add more oil as needed. It works like Bore Butter but it's cheaper & doesn't smell.

Lunarphase
08-06-2014, 08:51 PM
I boil up a pot full of water in my cast iron pot, add Dawn Soap ( because they save oily ducks, otters and pelicans : ) let it cool a bit then put the barrel in it and run a waded jag through it a buncha' times, then turn the barrel upside down, let it drain and dry. Usually bone dry in minutes cuz of the heat. Then run a patch of bore butter down it.
I'll try some Windex next time to see what else comes out.

Beagle333
08-06-2014, 09:01 PM
I have been using Windex to clean my ML revolvers since 1990. 'Great stuff. :D

XinTX
08-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Maybe it's just me, or the particularly dry area I live in. When I am done at the range I spray the bore with a coat of Ballistol. Once home just plain old hot water and the bore is clean. After the bore is clean I swab it with a patch lubed with a natural grease such as pork fat.

Don't have the Ballistol. So I just do the same thing. Hot water with a little bit of soap.

doc1876
08-13-2014, 07:54 AM
I have tried the Windex, and have not been happy with it. I am of the hot water and Dawn method, and real grease afterwords. them guns have been laying around for over 150 years, and still show up in good condition, and that is all they had. (soap I mean, I know they did not have Dawn)

Fly
08-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Doc when I started the tread I said housewhole ammonia.But windex "WITH" ammonia is better than just plain windex.
All I,m saying guys is try it if you have not.I still hot soap & water, but I think you will find you did not get it all if
you follow up with housewhole ammonia.

Fly