PDA

View Full Version : Old mold new to me

gunshot98
07-12-2014, 04:24 PM
110452 These are from a mold i got a while back and tryed it this morning. Its a Lee 90381 for the 44 blackpowder pistols. Had some trouble with wrinkles at first but read some posts of the great members on this forum and it now casts great. Did 40 of these babys before getting called out and i'm happy. Thanks for all the great posts here to help us needy folks.

bedbugbilly
07-12-2014, 06:22 PM
They look nice! Great job!

I just got the Lee mold for the .36 cal C & B. I have always shot round ball in my C & B revolvers for close to 50 years. Yesterday, I cast up around 100 of them along with about 400 WC and RN for38 spl. Today, I pulled my 1858 Remington "Navy" and my 1851 Colt Navy out to see how they would work as far as loading in the cylinder. I was surprised to find that they won't! I have a Pietta Remie and a Uberti Colt Navy - neither have clearance enough to get the conicals under the loading lever to load. The length of the conical is too long to fit. Another disappointing thing on this mold is that I was hoping that the base would have a chamfer to it to get it started in to the chambers.

I don't take my cylinders off to load them - I load them on the pistol and always have. I thought the conicals would be fun to try out . . . now, I have a mold that will be "sitting" and I'll stick to the round balls like I always have.

My .36 Lee conical mold did cast up some nice looking boolits and I have no complaints on the mold as far as how it cast. And, it's my fault . . . I should have done more research on the mold and the length of the boolit the mold cast. If a person loads the cylinder off the pistol I would imagine they'd work just fine.

If you are going to use those in a revolver . . you may want to check to see if they clear to get under the loading lever unless you load the cylinder off the pistol. Good luck and let us know how they shoot!

Tatume
07-13-2014, 06:36 AM
Nice looking bullets.

gunshot98
07-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Yeah, going to try them Monday just because of what you said. I think if they won't fit under the arm i will look at chucking the arm up in the old lathe and trim it down to fit. Will let you know the out come.

dondiego
07-13-2014, 11:08 AM
I have both the .36 and .44 cal Lee molds. They will fit if you seat the smaller base of the bullet slightly before rotating it under the ram to fully seat. The .36 fits my Colt 1851 and the .44 fits my 1858 Rem just fine.

gunshot98
07-13-2014, 11:53 AM
But we have the clones. Are they any different?

dondiego
07-13-2014, 12:10 PM
But we have the clones. Are they any different?

My revolvers are reproductions out of Italy.

gunshot98
07-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Ok, maybe i wont have to do anything. Cross my fangers and hope for the best. They say the conical boolits are more accurate.

HangFireW8
07-13-2014, 06:28 PM
If you have a lubrisizer, try flat pointing the conicals with a top punch. Then maybe they'll fit.

gunshot98
07-13-2014, 09:58 PM
thats a good idea. Thanks. I'm gonna try them out tomorrow morning when i get off.

gunshot98
07-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Well, I loaded up the old fireball today and shot a few groups. I started at 20 gr. and went up from there. 23 gr. shot good at 25 yds. About a 3/4 in. group. gonna do some more testing on another day but am happy, happy, happy for right now, As Phil would say. Oh, and the boolits fit easily under the ram arm.