PDA

View Full Version : Spacer metal used in lynotype set up

Grandpa Dolan
01-21-2008, 03:48 PM
I looked all over but could find no information on, "what is the alloy content of the strips of spacer material used between the rows of type set (lynotype) in the printer set up"? I came by a lot of type set used or ready to use in the forms for the printer. These strips are about .025 thick, 3/4 inch wide and long. I was told they were pure tin but I measure the Specific Gravity of the strips to be closer to Lynotype than the 7.36 SP of pure tin.Mabey there is an "old " printer man out there could give some Info on this???? Thanks fellow Boolet Casters,, Grandpa Dolan.

hammerhead357
01-21-2008, 04:42 PM
GPD, I think what you are describing are probably Elrod strips and would be lino. But without seeing them I can't be sure. If they are Elrod strips there will be wavey marks on the flat sides of them. The Elrod strips were made in a large assortment of sizes. I think if you will search around here you will be able to find pictures. In fact if you search for, picts of different types of type metal, you may find some pictures that myself and others have posted...Wes

fecmech
01-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I have some strips of new material that was used as the spacers in printing. I bought it from a print shop in the original boxes about 30 years ago and the owner told me it was new type metal. I have used it over the years and that appears to be just what it is. Most of mine are thicker than .025, about .080" but you could check by seeing if you can bend it back on itself. I break mine into shorter pieces by folding it 180 degrees, when you try to crease it it will snap. Mine has the wavy lines as per hammerhead.

Ohio Rusty
01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Those strips are the same metal as used in the moveable type. It is hardened just like the type was, but I can't say for sure that it is linotype. Those strips were cast as spacers, or cast also type-high to be used as underlines or border lines. You just cut them to the size you needed and locked them in the type-chase. I used to be an old letterpress man years ago .....
Ohio Rusty

Grandpa Dolan
01-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys for the Info. I have never failed to get good, Info and help from this place....We'l have a few days of rain here in So CA they say, so I'l have some time to realy check this alloy out......Grandpa Dolan