PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about Pewter

DeputyDog25
07-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Okay, my wife brought the mail to the house the other day and had a couple of boxes of ww lead that I had purchased online. She didn't know what it was for, so I told her I was going to start casting boolits. This conversation lead to her asking about how you go about doing that and what you use to do it. I don't really know a whole lot but told her what I know so far. Somehow the subject of pewter came up because I remember reading that you can add pewter with lead to harden. Well, here is the question, today she came home from a trip to the local Goodwills and had a very large box full of pewter items, most all of it is marked on the bottom, she said it was very cheap. What can I do with this? Can I melt this and cast into ingots to use in a mixture or what?

IraqVet1982
07-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Sounds like a good wife.

DeputyDog25
07-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Sounds like a good wife.

She has always been very interested in the reloading process and often comes in my gun room and sits with me while I reload. I have not casted my first boolit yet, so she hasn't had the opportunity to see that process yet, but I bet she will like it more.

NVScouter
07-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Yes pewter is mostly tin. Cast it all in small ingots first and add in as a % to your alloys. You may want to do this outside, some of the pewter I've gotten has had paint/varnish/unknown on it that smokes up a lot on first cast leaving lot of impurity behind.

imashooter2
07-11-2014, 03:13 PM
You use pewter as tin. It is best cast into small ingots to be convenient for adding at the small percentages we use. Check out the pictures and hallmarks thread in my signature below.

DeputyDog25
07-11-2014, 03:38 PM
You use pewter as tin. It is best cast into small ingots to be convenient for adding at the small percentages we use. Check out the pictures and hallmarks thread in my signature below.

Thank you for the link and the information. I didn't have any pieces that had the weighted bases, it is all pure pewter, probably 30-40 pounds worth, she said she paid about $20 for all of it give or take a dollar.

guncheese
07-11-2014, 03:46 PM
probably 30-40 pounds worth, she said she paid about $20 for all of it give or take a dollar.

OMG!! now that right there boy's is a example of a KEEPER!!!

but seriously the amount of pewter will let you cast 61,250 top notch 200gr LSWC!! if added at 2%. but if you do it like me it will go twice as far, you my friend have a many year supply

DeputyDog25
07-11-2014, 03:54 PM
OMG!! now that right there boy's is a example of a KEEPER!!!

but seriously the amount of pewter will let you cast 61,250 top notch 200gr LSWC!! if added at 2%. but if you do it like me it will go twice as far, you my friend have a many year supply

Well, I guess I will tell her that I don't need anymore. I will try and cast this and if anyone needs any they can let me know.

waksupi
07-11-2014, 03:54 PM
I think there is a sticky somewhere with ID marking on pewter, so you have an idea what it is. Some ain't. I picked up a large platter at a garage sale, that turned out to be a real mystery metal. I'd got it for sand casting, rather than boolits, but the melting temperature is WAY above lead or tin.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-11-2014, 03:56 PM
When I have a sizable amount of Tin (pewter or whatever), I smelted it into small ingots, either using a Lee ingot mold and pouring in the 1/2lb cavities, which is about 5 oz when tin is poured. Or short pours into 1lb ingot molds.

DeputyDog25
07-11-2014, 03:59 PM
When I have a sizable amount of Tin (pewter or whatever), I smelted it into small ingots, either using a Lee ingot mold and pouring in the 1/2lb cavities, which is about 5 oz when tin is poured. Or short pours into 1lb ingot molds.

Well, I don't have any moulds of any kind. I ordered some boolit moulds from Midway but have not got them yet. I was thinking about using a muffin tin to cast this pewter. I don't even have a hot pot yet, I thought I would use an old cast iron skillet on my fish cooker and see if it would melt that way. What do you guys think. I'm telling you, I am a realllllll NEWBIE when it comes to melting any kind of metal and making boolits.

imashooter2
07-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Thank you for the link and the information. I didn't have any pieces that had the weighted bases, it is all pure pewter, probably 30-40 pounds worth, she said she paid about $20 for all of it give or take a dollar.

30-40 pounds in one scrounge is an incredible score! Congratulations!

imashooter2
07-11-2014, 04:01 PM
One of our members casts tin or pewter into small "coins" using the bottoms of beverage cans as a mold.

You can easily melt pewter in a skillet on a fish fryer. Plenty of capacity. Be careful not to overheat the metal. It will oxidize quickly and be difficult to pour clean ingots.

DeputyDog25
07-11-2014, 04:03 PM
One of our members casts tin or pewter into small "coins" using the bottoms of beverage cans as a mold.

So, i can just cut a coke can and cast in it? It won't melt the can? What I mean is once the pewter melts in the skillet, I can just pour it in the bottom of a coke can. I told you I was stupid about all this.

gray wolf
07-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Don't try to lift any kind of pot with hot molten metal in it, ( Danger Will Smith ) One wrong move and you will spill it and get a bad burn.

Use some kind of ladle small enough to control what you are doing, a casting ladle works fine also.
Make sure your tin does not stick to the coke can, it's a smitch trying to rip off the Aluminum.
You shouldn't need more than 500*F to melt the pewter.

I would not be in a Hurry to start melting it down, get your feet wet with some bullet alloy first.
Take a little time to see what is going on and what melting metal is all about, it's not hard but you truly sound kinda Green ( NEW-B ) and that is no slam on you, fact is we were all there at one time, and welcome to the Hobby.

Keep asking questions, and question what you do not understand or anything that does not sound correct.

NOW !!! take that sweet lady out to dinner

DeputyDog25
07-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Don't try to lift any kind of pot with hot molten metal in it, ( Danger Will Smith ) One wrong move and you will spill it and get a bad burn.

Use some kind of ladle small enough to control what you are doing, a casting ladle works fine also.
Make sure your tin does not stick to the coke can, it's a smitch trying to rip off the Aluminum.
You shouldn't need more than 500*F to melt the pewter.

I would not be in a Hurry to start melting it down, get your feet wet with some bullet alloy first.
Take a little time to see what is going on and what melting metal is all about, it's not hard but you truly sound kinda Green ( NEW-B ) and that is no slam on you, fact is we were all there at one time, and welcome to the Hobby.

Keep asking questions, and question what you do not understand or anything that does not sound correct.

NOW !!! take that sweet lady out to dinner

No slam taken whatsoever. I am very new at this and kinda nervous about starting it at my age. I will take your advice and start slow by melting some lead that I have and just getting use to handling it. Thanks very much for the advice it is truly appreciated. I am sure there will be many more questions, but as a sticky that is posted says: Always read the stickies before asking any questions because it has probably already been asked a million times before me.

gray wolf
07-11-2014, 05:29 PM
I don't think we have a sticky that covers apprehensiveness.
You will be fine, BTW what are your plans for casting equipment if I may ask ?

R.M.
07-11-2014, 05:34 PM
Make sure the can is 100% dry or you'll get one h#$% of a surprise.

DeputyDog25
07-11-2014, 05:44 PM
I don't think we have a sticky that covers apprehensiveness.
You will be fine, BTW what are your plans for casting equipment if I may ask ?

Well, that is a whole nuther (is that a word) animal. I really have to go slow on this one, as I am on a fixed income. I became disabled last year. No sob story, just the facts. I have ordered a .38/.357 mold from Midway, some of that Frankford Arsenal flux powder, and a book on casting. I am going to use an old ladle I have and a iron skillet to melt the lead. I found a Lyman 450 with some lube, some dies, and top punches at a garage sale. I have to figure this one out. I think you can download a manual for it online. I really can't afford anything else at the moment, but this should get me started.

DeputyDog25
07-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Make sure the can is 100% dry or you'll get one h#$% of a surprise.

Thank you, I will be sure and do that. I read somewhere that you can dust the can with talcum powder and them blow it out and it will keep the lead from sticking. Does anyone do this or is it necessary?

imashooter2
07-11-2014, 06:14 PM
So, i can just cut a coke can and cast in it? It won't melt the can? What I mean is once the pewter melts in the skillet, I can just pour it in the bottom of a coke can. I told you I was stupid about all this.

No, turn whole cans upside down and pour little coins in the curved outside bottom recess.

Pewter (or lead) won't stick to aluminum cans. No need for talc or any other release agent.

imashooter2
07-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Well, that is a whole nuther (is that a word) animal. I really have to go slow on this one, as I am on a fixed income. I became disabled last year. No sob story, just the facts. I have ordered a .38/.357 mold from Midway, some of that Frankford Arsenal flux powder, and a book on casting. I am going to use an old ladle I have and a iron skillet to melt the lead. I found a Lyman 450 with some lube, some dies, and top punches at a garage sale. I have to figure this one out. I think you can download a manual for it online. I really can't afford anything else at the moment, but this should get me started.

Don't use the flux powder. It is a mess and hygroscopic besides. Go to the home center and pick up a few wooden paint stirrers. They give them away for free. Stir your melt with the stick and it will char and flux as you stir.

500MAG
07-11-2014, 06:22 PM
I get my pewter from thrift stores. My biggest score in one day is 18 pounds. Definitely check those markings that Imashooter. Oh, and be careful RWP or Royal Wilton Pewter is NOT pewter.

William Yanda
07-11-2014, 11:22 PM
DD25
You will find that pewter will melt on a good hot plate-1000 or 1250 W. I use an old stainless steel 1 Qt. saucepan and an aluminum mini muffin pan for molds. A full mini muffin weighs about 6 ounces-enough for 300 ounces of lead or a full 20 lb Lee pot.
Bill

Bullwolf
07-12-2014, 12:07 AM
See if you can find a Cast Boolits member who lives close by to help supervise or mentor your early casting and reloading efforts.

It's much easier to teach this sort of thing hands on in my experience.

- Bullwolf

srd
07-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Welcome to the site and becoming a bullet caster. As you will read and learn you do not have to spend a fortune to pursue your new rewarding hobby. In my opinion you are already more than half way there due to your spouse being interested and helping. A lot of us do not have that ! Does she have a sister ??
Your cast iron pan and ladle will serve you well for a while. Check with some tire stores or garages in the area about wheel weights you can have or purchase reasonably. Saw dust..paraffin wax etc work good as a way of cleaning your melt. I wish we lived closer..I would be more than happy to help you out. I have been doing it for almost 30 years and helped several people get started.

DeputyDog25
07-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Welcome to the site and becoming a bullet caster. As you will read and learn you do not have to spend a fortune to pursue your new rewarding hobby. In my opinion you are already more than half way there due to your spouse being interested and helping. A lot of us do not have that ! Does she have a sister ??
Your cast iron pan and ladle will serve you well for a while. Check with some tire stores or garages in the area about wheel weights you can have or purchase reasonably. Saw dust..paraffin wax etc work good as a way of cleaning your melt. I wish we lived closer..I would be more than happy to help you out. I have been doing it for almost 30 years and helped several people get started.

I wish we lived closer as well. I could really use some hands on guidance in this process. The mixing of the metals is what is so confusing to me. I bought 17 pounds of lead from a fellow on another board, it tested at 5bh, I was ignorant as to what I needed and didn't realize this was not to good to use for boolit casting without adding other metals, the part that is confusing. By the way, if anyone has some spare equipment sitting around or know of someone getting out of the hobby, I have a little stash that I could use to purchase another mold or a melting pot. I am just limited per month as I guess most are.

By the way, my wife does have a sister but believe it or not she is the exact opposite of my wife, my wife is just a one a kind country girl that likes all things outdoors. I am truly blessed to have woman like her, standing by me in this rough spot of disability I am going through. It is tough to not be able to do the things you could do before. I know many of you know what I am talking about.

Landshark9025
07-12-2014, 04:17 PM
FWIW, I am anew caster as well. I know you just got a bunch of lead and there are some constraints to deal with, but the next time you order, ping Jetsfan here. I have been using his COWW(clip on wheel weight) lead for .38 out of a $20 Lee mold. Works like a champ and goes straight from postal box to furnace to mold. No mixing. I'll prob start adding tin at some point just to see.

He's def. a "Straight Shooter" vendor as far as I am concerned.

DeputyDog25
07-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Thank you very much, I will do that.

Lead Bandit
07-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Youtube is your friend. Watch a few hours will teach you a ton. There's some pretty cool 'explosion' videos, by cool I mean very uncool by person experience. Once you hear that shotgun blast go off you will never forget that. As a new caster wear eyeglasses and all other safety equipment!

Lead Bandit
07-13-2014, 01:59 AM
I think there is a sticky somewhere with ID marking on pewter, so you have an idea what it is. Some ain't. I picked up a large platter at a garage sale, that turned out to be a real mystery metal. I'd got it for sand casting, rather than boolits, but the melting temperature is WAY above lead or tin.

The mystery metal is generally called pot metal. Its usually composed mainly of zinc and some other smaller percentages of other things like antimony, tin, lead, cadmium, bismuth. Generally NOT what your looking for to cast boolits. But Sounds like you still made something cool in the sandcasting anyway.

runfiverun
07-13-2014, 02:08 AM
or white-metal,, I have seen some trinket jewelry made with it.
it initially acts like tin then it suddenly don't and mucks things up.

kens
07-13-2014, 08:48 AM
you don't need to smelt your pewter into ingots.
I just chop off a piece the weight I need for a batch of lead alloy. A pair of tin snips will handle your pewter nicely, just toss some into your melt.
It doesn't take much to do good either, as little as 1% pewter makes your molds fill out much better, with fewer rejects.
Tin doesn't make lead harder like antimony does, tin makes lead tougher.
High antimony content makes lead hard to the point of being brittle.
High tin content makes lead moderately harder but more malleable.

imashooter2
07-13-2014, 10:51 AM
I have put well over 350 pounds of pewter into ingots in the last year. It has a surprising amount of dirt / old polish / crud in it. I would never add it straight to a casting pot. Your mileage may vary.