PDA

View Full Version : bullet sizer question

Battis
07-11-2014, 11:02 AM
I searched for the answer with no luck...
I want to size a .358 cast bullet down to .352. Can it be done with one die or do I need to go to .355, then .352?

Buzz64
07-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Probably have to step it down. Usually, about .003 per sizing stroke is all you can do without damaging the boolit. BTW, if you have drive bands or lube grooves, you won't by the time you size down that far.

Poygan
07-11-2014, 11:59 AM
IIRC I had less reduction in the lube grooves by lubing the boolit first and then beginning the sizing down process.

gray wolf
07-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Lubing with the first die is pretty much standard operating procedure
for maintaining the integrity of the lube grooves.

williamwaco
07-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Conventional dies or Lee push through?

If those are tumble lube bullets, you will probably lose your lube rings.

I Have sized bullets that much in a single die with good results but they were conventional lube grooves.

If you are sizing rifle bullets for a competitive match, I would not do it in a single step.

bangerjim
07-11-2014, 12:30 PM
That lead has to go SOMEWHERE! Usually into the grooves. Lube will help minimize the distortion, but lead is harder than grease. Both are non-compressible "fluids" and one has to give.

IMHO I would do it in at least 2 steps and keep a sharp eye on the quality of what you are getting. I usually only size .002 max.

If you are trying to make the new no lube groove PC boolits......good way to start! Leave the grease out of that process.

bangerjim

Battis
07-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Actually, I don't have a particular bullet in mind yet. I'll be making bullets for the .351 Winchester, sizing down from .358. I hadn't thought about the lube grooves - good point(s). I plan on using Lee push-through dies. I called Lee and the tech said you can try with one but it might deform the bullet too much. Two makes sense.

williamwaco
07-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Actually, I don't have a particular bullet in mind yet. I'll be making bullets for the .351 Winchester, sizing down from .358. I hadn't thought about the lube grooves - good point(s). I plan on using Lee push-through dies. I called Lee and the tech said you can try with one but it might deform the bullet too much. Two makes sense.

If you try it with one Lee die, be sure to liberally lube both the bullet and the inside of the die before you start.

You can easily push a bullet into the Lee die that you can't push through it. ( Don't ask me how I know.)

This will necessitate driving the bullet back out with a large rod and a heavy hammer.

bangerjim
07-11-2014, 10:05 PM
If you try it with one Lee die, be sure to liberally lube both the bullet and the inside of the die before you start.

You can easily push a bullet into the Lee die that you can't push through it. ( Don't ask me how I know.)

This will necessitate driving the bullet back out with a large rod and a heavy hammer.

"Reverse sizing"! Been there......done that!!!!!!! Actually INCREASES the size and makes a nice hunk of lead to throw back in the pot.

banger

Shiloh
07-11-2014, 10:09 PM
You can lube first, it'll help. There will be a smear of lead that will partially close the lube groove with the lube inside.

Shiloh

Battis
07-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Would the blowback cycling of the action change with a lighter bullet?

williamwaco
07-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Would the blowback cycling of the action change with a lighter bullet?

Yes.

Only testing will determine how much.
( Probably not enough to cause trouble. )