PDA

View Full Version : seduced out of a gun

olafhardt
07-11-2014, 01:18 AM
Since my wife passed about two years ago, my daughter and I have become much closer. I also have three sons but she has done more of the going through stuff. My wife was somewhere between a collector and a hoarder. Many a truck load has been hauled to the dump and boxes of treasures have been packed and stored in the garage. She has discovered that I have some neat stuff too. She has developed a particular fondness for Old Beater my beloved 94 Winchester which I customized to my desires. What she really likes is the engine turning I did on the receiver and tang. But I love this gun! Well today I stopped by a LGS and in the back corner they had a 94 with a case of measles just ripe for engine turning. It came home with me. Who else has been seduced out of a gun?

shooterbob
07-11-2014, 02:55 AM
I had a Dan Wesson 357 mag that I had removed from my gunshop inventory. I had a nephew who had just married and he fell in love with that gun. At there 1 st anniversary he asked to shoot it and the look in his eyes was enough for me....I couldn't resist giving it to him. He was hooked on wheelguns.

500MAG
07-11-2014, 06:54 AM
I have purchased firearms for family but ain't no one getting any of mine until I'm in the ground and then it's still a maybe.

Whiterabbit
07-11-2014, 07:06 AM
Hypothetical situation: I have, in one hand, a beloved rifle that quite frankly I want to be buried with. In the other hand, I have a daughter whom I am very close with who has also fallen in love with my treasured rifle and will love it as I have.

Despite wanting to be buried with that rifle, I would have to let it go.

Sounds like you've done good in life, olafhardt.

turmech
07-11-2014, 07:40 AM
I have three sons, so I have lost my fair share of guns lately. I dose not bother me but then again they have not reached the age yet where thy have moved out (still school aged). And really ½ my guns came from my father anyway( who is still living)so it is only fitting.

Pereira
07-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Sorry for the loss and cograts on you and your daughter gettin closer.And yes I lost/gifted a few to my children in the past couple years. I just like the fact that they want to shoot.
Good luck with your project.

Hardcast416taylor
07-11-2014, 11:43 AM
An old friend of mine that did 2 tours in `Nam as a Marine sniper usually drops by about once a year. He replenishes his loading supplies out of my stores of material. Last Dec. he stopped by for X-Mas. He needed .22 ammo by Rem. (don`t ask why) for his plinking. He spotted my Ar-7 .22 cal. Air Force survival rifle. When he left it went with him along with 1,325 rounds of Rem. 22 ammo. He has since had his Left leg amputated at the knee to stop a bone degeneration caused by Agent Orange that was in his AO in `Nam. Robert

AlaskanGuy
07-11-2014, 12:15 PM
My wife has a ton of guns.... Most of which she seduced me outta.... Or got me to buy for her... And she seduces me regular...

TenTea
07-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Yep, a real nice WWII surplus Stevens 416, heavy barrel 22LR (see below for facsimile).
The woman I was dating at the time (now my wife) enjoyed killing groundhogs on her daddy's back 40 with it.
Lately, she is enamored with a CZ452.
http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/422613/10147472/2%20stevens%20416%20big.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

NVScouter
07-11-2014, 03:09 PM
I lost a pistol and gained the best dog I've even had to a bat guanno crazy Ex. Fair trade to say the least.

My wife doesnt seduce, downright theft is more like it. I've been working my original Austrian Glock back from her for almost 10 years now. I got my .300WBY back two years ago! All I had to do was buy her a Khar CW9, 12GA and a new .308. Her 17HMR keeps my CZ527 safe for now.

My son is facinated by my reloading room and safes...I've already premeptively stuck and bought him a Cricket .22LR.

bstone5
07-11-2014, 03:58 PM
I have two sons that started shooting at an early age.
I put together rifles of increasing calibers as they grew. T
The sons are approaching 40 now.
I have given them most of their early guns for their children.
Now when I try to give them more guns they say their gun safe is full they will wait until they get a bigger or an additional gun safe.
I made cut down small caliber muzzle loaders for them when they were 9 to 10 years old and still have the muzzle loaders, funny how things seem to accumulate in the gun storage area.

runfiverun
07-11-2014, 08:12 PM
lose, borrow, or appropriate is more like what happens here.
it took me three AR type rifles to actually have my own, and it still hasn't been built in the caliber I bought it for.
then there was the tokarov pistol, and the 98/11, the Charles daley 7x57,the ruger tang safety, the browning 45-70, the 44-40 model 92 [maan]
plus various amounts of ammunition, camping, and fishing gear "I have no idea about".

SawmillJack
07-11-2014, 08:33 PM
I lost a pistol and gained the best dog I've even had to a bat guanno crazy Ex. Fair trade to say the least.

My wife doesnt seduce, downright theft is more like it. I've been working my original Austrian Glock back from her for almost 10 years now. I got my .300WBY back two years ago! All I had to do was buy her a Khar CW9, 12GA and a new .308. Her 17HMR keeps my CZ527 safe for now.

Ditto on the bat guanno crazy Ex; mine took every single gun I had and claimed she didn't know where they went. My wife now doesn't like to shoot but insists that I have whatever I like that we can afford. She has purchased several nice guns for me as surprise gifts. Never has said one syllable against me spending money on guns, reloading equipment or casting equipment. My son when he was grown and moved out into the world left his .22 and shotgun I bought him as a boy and his wife refuses to have them in her home. Out of five kids I have one daughter who has started to show interest and at present has "borrowed" my old Ranger target .22. I wonder if she plans to bring it back?

jimb16
07-11-2014, 08:44 PM
My wife decided she needed the security six more than I did......

mpmarty
07-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Mine has "adopted" my PP and PPK clones in 9X18 Mak.

Scharfschuetze
07-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Well I don't know if I was seduced out of it, but here's the story.

Back in the mid 70s I had a Ruger revolver stolen out of my pick up truck in my home state of Colorado. During my police career, I was working the swing shift and was in the dispatch office when a call came through for me from the ATF. I answered and the agent told me that they had recovered the revolver following its use in an armed robbery in Raton, NM. The robber, headed north and was intercepted by a Colorado State highway patrolman (now called troopers). The robber used the revolver to fire on the patrolman who then returned fire and killed the armed robber.

I had just been involved in a similar incident and didn't get to keep the High Power that the robber used, which I would have liked to have. With that in mind, I told the ATF agent to give my revolver to the patrolman as soon as it wasn't needed as evidence. I never heard anymore about it.

olafhardt
07-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Evidently a gun is not enough. I have been trying to make the perfect walking stick. This has led to lots of prototypes. One.of the best was made from a 3/4" poplar dowel with contrasting dark and light grain. I hand wrapped the handle, added rubber tips and sanded and gave it a hand rubbed oil finish. She was sitting in my hide out looking at it with twinkling blue eyes talking about how pretty it was and saying it was her favorite. She goes back home and a few days later she let's me know she was dancing the funky chicken in her kitchen while cooking supper and threw her knee out. Could she borrow one of my canes?. Recon I'll ever get that one back? Recon I care? Years ago I realized that having a lot of good stories to tell was one way to be truly wealthy.