PDA

View Full Version : Recovered Mosin Boolit

1911cherry
07-10-2014, 08:19 PM
I found one of my Mosin boolits in my berm ,its a plinking load-Lee 150 gr 2 lube groove over 7 gr of longshot. The boolits measure .311 but the rifling isn't deep, should I go for a .313 or .314? Is that flame cutting at the base into the lube groove? I'm still trying to learn to load cast for a rifle, any advice is greatly appreciated.

runfiverun
07-10-2014, 09:01 PM
I don't think you have gas cutting there.
I'd try the bigger boolits though, it looks like MAYBE some skidding and a rough stop.

longbow
07-10-2014, 09:32 PM
I'll go with gas cutting.

I shoot and recover lots of boolits and my .303 Lee Enfields needed "fat" boolits. I got similar "gouges" in many of my boolits before upping the diameter to 0.315" to suit my 0.314" groove diameter.

I also found that with some loads I got skidding as well and it looked as though when the lead swaged on the edges of the lands gas leaked by cutting grooves similar (though smaller) than your boolits. Even with the "fat" boolits I found if I used fast powders they tended so skid a bit but oven heat treating fixed that... as did slower powder. Wasn't pushing them hard at all but I suspect the rapid acceleration in 1:10" twist was responsible when ACWW was used.

You should slug your bore and throat to determine the size then get a mould that will cast a couple thou over that.

My experience anyway.

Longbow