PDA

View Full Version : S&W JM625 and lead boolits?

Jayhawkhuntclub
07-10-2014, 10:59 AM
I hear a lot of negative talk about shooting lead in the JM 625 (not the pro series or the non-JM model). I've been thinking about getting one, but not sure. If you have one, what is your experience? Thank you.

Stonecrusher
07-10-2014, 08:16 PM
I have a JM 625-8 and a standard 625-8 with a 5" barrel. They both thrive on cast. I can't decide which I like better. I still remember the first time I shot my JM. I had had some surgery right after getting it and wasn't able to take it out due to recovery and some nerve damage to my hands. The first two cyliderfuls of mixed 230 grn LRN and 200 grn SWC all went into the same 1 3/8" group at 15 yds. I expected much worse due to my hands. They will handle anything from light loads that won't cycle an auto to heavier loads that would not be healthy for an auto. I haven't pushed it too far but you can easily equal .45 colt ballistics with 255 grn boolits. A little over 5 grns of Universal will push a 255 grn at about 850 fps with good accuracy. Could go higher but haven't tried. I love the MP 452-200 in both guns. Pushed around 900fps, groups are great with no leading and recoil is very, very manageable. My wife loves to shoot them. At first I wasn't sure about the JM grips, but now I love them as well as the Pachmayrs on my 5 incher.

The throats in both are right on .4525" and I size to .452" with Carnuba red. Only leading of any kind I have experienced was with some old commercial cast 230grn LRN, and that was only a little around the edge of forcing cone in the JM.

Get one, you will love it!

fredj338
07-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Not a JM but an early M625-2, it runs 100% on lead bullets, in fact all of my revolvers do. Why shoot anything else?

Dale53
07-10-2014, 08:55 PM
I have a 625-8 JM Special and it shoots my home cast bullets by the thousands with NO leading. I use WW's+2% tin and size to .452". I mostly shoot the Mihec proper copy of the H&G #68 but have also used NOE's copy of the Lyman 454424 (250 gr Keith) ahead of 7.0 grs of Unique (900+ fps chronographed) with excellent results.

These are WONDERFUL revolvers and mine is my most shot (5000-7500 rounds per year).

FWIW
Dale53

harley45
07-10-2014, 11:57 PM
I have a 4 inched that I shoot the Lyman 452423 out of at about 900 FPS it is an amazing combo, and one I intend to use on a Texas hog someday!

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-11-2014, 09:47 AM
I hear a lot of negative talk about shooting lead in the JM 625 (not the pro series or the non-JM model). I've been thinking about getting one, but not sure. If you have one, what is your experience? Thank you.

I can't imagine you will find any negative comments on this website about shooting Boolits in any 625, unless it has some tolerance issues.

I'd love to hear the reasons offered by those that have negative things to say. I suspect those reasons will be some of the most interesting myths, to say the least.
Jon

Eutectic
07-11-2014, 10:15 AM
I can't imagine you will find any negative comments on this website about shooting Boolits in any 625, unless it has some tolerance issues.

I'd love to hear the reasons offered by those that have negative things to say. I suspect those reasons will be some of the most interesting myths, to say the least.
Jon

I have to agree with JonB here.

I have a 625-6 which is SUPERBLY accurate with cast boolits! Especially the Saeco 058.

I too would love to hear these reasons......

Sometimes some only want to 'blame' from the grips forward... never even considering from the grips back!

Eutectic

Jayhawkhuntclub
07-11-2014, 10:50 AM

Jon
I don't know that they are "myths". Of course some consider " you're not supposed to shoot lead in Glocks" a myth too (although the factory disagrees). The JM has a different rifling than the standard 625. Many on the S&W forum will tell you that they have issues with lead. I'm just trying to get as many firsthand accounts as possible.

Jayhawkhuntclub
07-11-2014, 10:53 AM
I have to agree with JonB here.

I have a 625-6 which is SUPERBLY accurate with cast boolits! Especially the Saeco 058.

I too would love to hear these reasons......

Sometimes some only want to 'blame' from the grips forward... never even considering from the grips back!

Eutectic

Well, that's not a JM model is it? If not it doesn't really factor in to the conversation as it has a different rifling. The non-JM models are known to do very well with lead.

Eutectic
07-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Well, that's not a JM model is it?

Snarling like a guard dog is not going to get you much help.

I reviewed a little on your S&W 'site' and MOST of the reloaders were mighty green!

One however, had excellent cast boolit results! He is Dale53 who posted above on your thread! Read both of his threads (here and there)

If gun dimensions and timing are correct....I stand behind a "behind the butt" problem. Load development (correct load development) will overcome the problem!

Eutectic

Jayhawkhuntclub
07-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Snarling like a guard dog is not going to get you much help.

Eutectic

You think that was "snarling like a guard dog"? Seriously? It was a simple straight forward question (which you chose not to answer).

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Jon

I don't know that they are "myths". Of course some consider " you're not supposed to shoot lead in Glocks" a myth too (although the factory disagrees). The JM has a different rifling than the standard 625. Many on the S&W forum will tell you that they have issues with lead. I'm just trying to get as many firsthand accounts as possible.

I'll gladly listen to any and all reasons why the different style of rifling (whatever type that is?), in a JM 625, will have problems with boolits. While I 'suspect' I will be hearing myths, I will keep an open mind.

While I have a 625 (I don't recall the dash #, it loves boolits), it isn't a JM. I am curious what type of rifling a JM has.

BTW, I shoot Cast in my MR Baby Eagles (I have one in 40 and one in 45) both have polygonal rifling, just like the Glocks...No problems with accuracy or Lead fouling.

M-Tecs
07-11-2014, 09:52 PM
The JM has a different rifling than the standard 625.

Just compared my friends JM to my two 625's. Same rifling. All three have the standard 6 groove 45 acp S&W rifling. Most, if not all other non 45 acp, S&W's are five groove. The 6 groove is not unique to the JM model. It is standard with the 45 acp S&W's. Not sure why.

Ammohouse
07-14-2014, 07:36 AM
I shoot cast in my 625JM all the time. I use my JM for IDPA and the only issues I have is the loose nut on the trigger. Im using a 230 RN with 4.5grns of Titegroup.

denul
07-14-2014, 08:54 AM
I got my 625 JM from the man himself - free! I was out with the family, they were putting up with my gun shopping in a Louisville store, and the salesman asks if we'd like to watch Jerry Miculek shoot, says the exhibition is going on at a range in Indiana, and they're having a prize drawing for a 625 JM. We headed on over, got there late, and watched as this man amazed everyone with his skill and charm. It was drizzling rain, and he apologized repeatedly for the weather, and was afraid some of us might get sick, but we all cheered him on anyway. Finally, it was time for the drawing , and he pulled out and called my name! I was shaking as I approached him, and he handed me the paperwork needed to complete the transaction back at the store.
Just to avoid the accusation of thread drift, I recall that I asked him if he had a favorite cast load for the revolver named for him. He seemed surprised and delighted that i was a caster, and he told me a Bullseye load with an H&G bullet; I was too nervous to remember it. He also commended me on casting, and expressed regret that his shooting schedule had limited the time that he could cast personally; he said that he had been sending 2 1/2 tons of lead from his molds downrange per year, and that he really missed it. He shook my hand, and let me tell you, no one need imagine they'll top his grip! Back at the store, while I was still trying to get back to Earth, they reminded me that while I had won the 625 JM, I could select any of the N- frame Smiths, instead. Right. I took that 625JM, and like most folks here, and Jerry Miculek, found that it was made for cast. I also have a non JM 625, and I can't tell by looking about any rifling differences, but the JM chambers are a little tighter, though not enough to have any effect on accuracy.

I'm sorry for the run on, but if I can't brag about good luck here, where can I?

dondiego
07-14-2014, 09:51 AM
You are a lucky dog denul! Good for you. I would have chosen the same revolver! Duh!

Ammohouse
07-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Denul thats an awesome story. I talked with Jerry at SHOT show and never thought to ask him about cast through the gun...I'll have to bring it up next year.

Jayhawkhuntclub
07-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Just compared my friends JM to my two 625's. Same rifling. All three have the standard 6 groove 45 acp S&W rifling. Most, if not all other non 45 acp, S&W's are five groove. The 6 groove is not unique to the JM model. It is standard with the 45 acp S&W's. Not sure why.
Well thanks for setting me straight. Good to know!

Denul: Good story. Of course we all hate you now.:kidding:

denul
07-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Yeah, some fellow from Arkansas said he'd come all that way just to win that pistol. When I told him I hoped it was as good as my 625-2, he allowed it looked like a feller with 2 of 'em that much alike was just plain selfish; I couldn't disagree, but I told him that it would seem ungrateful of me to give it up. Not sure he was altogether satisfied with that.
BTW , I got it out today just to be sure about this purpose of this thread, loaded the 200 gr MiHec HP in 45 ACP brass, and they shot as good as ever, with 6.5 gr. of surplus pistol powder, and CR lube , sized to .452. No leading.