PDA

View Full Version : Moly coat Cast>

Shooter6br
01-21-2008, 11:56 AM
I have moly coated copper bullets with Moly powder. Do people coat lead with moly powder?[smilie=1:

Buckshot
01-22-2008, 03:36 AM
I have moly coated copper bullets with Moly powder. Do people coat lead with moly powder?[smilie=1:

..............Possibly after regular lubing, but not by itself I don't think. Maybe, but I've never heard of it. Usually moly coating of cast boolits is a dip type application with a volatile carrier which evaporates leaving the coating behind.

..............Buckshot

denul
01-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Absolutely! I used Moly powder at first to help resize oversized bullets to prevent strain on the sizer-lubricator. Then I decided to try it on cast tumble lube bullets, in 45 automatic, to help cut down on vapor deposited grease based lubricants accumulating in the action. The moly powder does accumulate in the action, but that actually helps rather than hinders, at least in the case of the Mac 10 sub machine gun. I have also tried it with good results in the 38 super, as well as the 10 mm, and really like the ease of application. The powder sticks to everything, so I handle the bullets with latex or vinyl examination gloves, to keep my fingers from turning silver gray. The powder is also extremely handy to use in sliding parts for the reloading presses, which otherwise might tend to gall.

I know that there are different procedures for applying the moly powder, that include things like tumbling with steel shot, and spray on preparations. In my experience simply putting a teaspoon or so in a Lyman tumbler, which is dedicated to moly powder only, with about 300 bullets, requires very little time until they are ready to load. (I do not think it would be a good idea to try to use the same tumbler with corncob, or walnut hull polishing media, because the Moly powder would probably accumulate onto that media and destroy its effectiveness on brass).

I still run the powder coated bullets through a sizing die, although I know that the tumble lube design is intended to avoid having to do that. I believe that sizing after tumbling with the moly powder results in that powder being burnished into the surface of the cast bullet. The micro-lube grooves retain a small dusting of the powder, which probably helps with lubricating the barrel. Many people object to that coating in the barrel, but I have never found it harmful.

I also have tumbled a lot of 25/20 cast bullets, coated with moly powder, and sized them without applying a gas check; they fired from a Winchester model 92, over moderate loads of Accurate Arms No. 9 with very good results.

shooter93
01-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Merril Martin actually used cast bullets first when he developed the stuff. I had a very early kit from NECO and used it on both cast and jacketed...rather extensively....what can I tell you...try it if you want...Molt does some things very well and others not.