PDA

View Full Version : Step Down Sizing

Themoose
07-09-2014, 04:36 PM
I know that this would not be the peferred method, but poor folks do have poor ways.... I want to try to use some existing bullet molds that I have by sizing down the bullets to paper patch in a couple of muzzleloaders that i own.

First I want to use an existing .50 Mountain Mold 460 grain plains bullet in two TC Hawkens(one a caplock and the other a flintlock)... thinking I need to get them down to .492 for the paperpatch...I'm thinking two steps... first sizing down to .496 and then down to .492.... does this sound right?

The next is for the Lyman Gould bullet cast a 330 gr HP @ .458... to shoot in 45 cal paperpatched Knight and Hawken style parts gun... first size down to .454. then down to .451, then down to .446 or .447.

I know it would be easier to buy new moulds or just buy the right sized bullets, but I have limited funds and like to make do with what I have.... I have some blank sizing dies I got from the Perfessor and a friend who has a machine shop... just need ideas for the correct dimensions.

Anyone have experience... good or bad in a similar venture?

Thanks in advance for your help

idahoron
07-09-2014, 05:55 PM
I didn't have good luck going from .459 to .451 I am thinking going to .446 might end up just smearing the grease grooves and not giving you much in the line of accuracy.

I wrap a .501 with two wraps of 9# onion skin. I then size them to .501 with a lee push through. These bullets go down very tight in my Green Mountain barrels and my knight. The bullet it's self is .496 if I take the paper off after sizing and measure it. I know guys using this method for several different guns and they all say it works well. I tried sizing the patched bullets down to .496 and this far down was too much. The bullets would actually slide back out of the barrel. I should try sizing the bullet naked to .496 then sizing after wrapping to .501 and see how I like them. But to be honest I love the way mine shoot now and don't plan to change.
Don't forget to keep the thickness of your paper in mind when figuring out the amount of sizing you need.

johnson1942
07-09-2014, 08:45 PM
today i took some .440 swaged bullets and reduced them to .338. then i wrapped them with 2 wraps of number 9 paper. then i lubed them and pushed them through the .338 sizer again. they fit snug in my .44 but not with diff. they shoot really accurate. try down sizeing with a good lube and in two steps. should work if lead isnt to hard. the dumb thing i did today was get the butt of the rifle too close to my collar bone. i dont think it is broke but their is one heck of a hematoma on my right collar bone.

idahoron
07-09-2014, 10:10 PM
YOur Swagging them right? A cast grease groove bullet just doesn't like to go that far down. And it really is two different animals.
THat collar bone thing sounds painful!! take care of it.

johnson1942
07-09-2014, 11:17 PM
mine are swaged and not very hard. i did try to bring one down too much in a .440 reduceing die and it stuck solid. a propane torch melted it out. the doc in town probably thinks im nuts with what i go in for. 10 years ago i poured some melted lead in my shoe by accident. if i wake up tomorrow and it is even more swollen ill have to get a xray. every one learn from me, dont put the butt of your gun on your collar bone. boy that smarted.

idahoron
07-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Man I bet, Keep me posted how it is. I broke both of my collar bones when I was a kid.