PDA

View Full Version : Beeman Kodiak 2x dual barrel preliminary thoughts

Texantothecore
07-09-2014, 11:16 AM
I just picked up a Kodiak at Walmart over the weekend and I am shocked at the power and accuracy of this gun.

We were shooting Crosman Premier lead .22 pellets and we couldnt cram enough cardboard into the target box to stop the pellet. So I have some filling of of marks in the red cedar fence to do now. Lol.

The last time I shot a pellet gun was in the fifties and these guns are a real improvement over the old ones.

One of our guys shot at at a tree at about one hundred yards and you could hear a loud thwap when the pellet hit the trunk (maybe 18 inches in diameter). I had no idea that pellet guns were as good as they have become. Wow.

The gun is a replacement for my .22 as I have no intention of paying the going price for ammo. It appears to me that this my squirrel rifle from here on out.

I have a Williams FPTK target sight which is coming off my .45-70 in the next week as well as a Lyman globe sight which has a 3/8 inch mount. Any ideas how might be able to mount these peep sights on the gun? I am having trouble looking up the ring mount for the front sight in particular.

Any help would be appreciated.

One of the best 100 bucks I have ever spent. Just flat out fun.

plmitch
07-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Did it come with a wood or synthetic stock?

35remington
07-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Take a look at the BC's of pellets for 22 airguns and realize if it's a replacement for a .22.....it's a close range replacement, and no raccoons and such! Rabbits, squirrels, and smaller only, and the stopping power on squirrels unless head shot is a bit lacking.

For example, the BC for the popular .22 Silver Jet (16 grain) is 0.012. With an 850 fps starting velocity extreme range is 250 yards, and at fifty yards the pellet is down to 494 fps and 8 ft/lbs.

HARRYMPOPE
07-09-2014, 03:42 PM
My 22 airgun springers
shooting 14.3's at 700-780 are good for squirrels and Pigeons to about 50 yards.
It’s not near a 22LR or even 22 short in power though but up to the task. I admit
to not shooting 22 rimfire much since i go into pellet guns as most 22 RF shooting
is just plinking/target shooting anyhow. An average $100-$150 Chinese airgun
shots ¾-1” at 25 yards and some much much better.Thats not bad for the price.

W.R.Buchanan
07-10-2014, 06:56 PM
My Beeman R1 will put a 22 gr H&N Barakuda pellet 1" deep into a dry phone book at 50 yards. However The trajectory is somewhat Rainbowesq?

I hit a 75 yard .22 Rimfire Silhouette Turkey with the gun. It took 3 shots and I was holding 2 full mils to the left and 2.5 mils high. Sandy Kofax Curve ball, and it spun the turkey with authority. it would knock down 50 yards pigs easily.

Point being 50 yards is about it with the Springers. You probably can hit things further out but it is blind luck past a certain point and you wouldn't want to shoot an animal bigger than a Mocking bird or similar because you just don't have the power to cleanly kill them.

A .22 Short has a 29 gr bullet at 950 fps. My gun is a 22gr pellet with worse aerodynamics at @750 fps. so I would rate it at about 60% of a .22 Short in power which by no means makes it an elephant gun.

Inside of 30 yards I know it would kill a Raccoon however the shot would have to be dead center between the eyes or you'd risk not killing the thing and the likelihood of you getting a second shot would be low. Anything but a perfect brain shot and you'd have a wounded animal on your hands, and I can attest that Raccoons are particularly vindictive.

Here's what happened to my backyard the night after I trapped one female's kits. She literally tore up half of my back yard! That was 3 years ago and I still haven't been able to trap her (duh?) and have never even seen her, let alone got a shot at her.

She just dug a hole in my front yard just last night!

Very vindictive creatures! Use a big enough gun! I don't know if anyone would survive a charge?

Randy

Texantothecore
08-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all the good tips. It is a synthetic stock which is ok with me. I am used to a rainbow trajectory on my 45-70 so it is not a problem.

The next project will be to put a Williams FPTK receiver sight with a nice Lyman barrel sight on the front.
The gun is basically a bird, squirrel, rabbit and can killer and I am really looking forward to being able to shoot every night if I wish.

It is a really a nice gun for a measly hundred bucks.

Bored1
08-07-2014, 11:12 AM
I have been thinking about getting one of those myself. Couldn't make up my mind though since I know absolutely nothing about airguns. Didn't want to find out I wasted 100$. Thanks for the information!

Texantothecore
08-07-2014, 12:26 PM
It is a good buy. I am glad I did so.

crazy mark
08-12-2014, 10:12 PM
I just bought a Beeman R1. So far using the .177 barrel I have scared my neighbor as he thought I was shooting a .22 Tomorrow the .177 comes off and the .22 barrel goes on so I can see what the noise level is. Bought 4 different type of 22 pellets to see what it likes the best.

It is a R2. The box said R1 but the rifle says R2.

mj2evans
09-16-2014, 12:16 AM
I have had squirrels run around after a body shot with a non-HP 22 LR. Head shots with 22 springer makes clean kills - get a heavy pellet for best results (I like the Beeman Kodiak). Pellets are a lot cheaper and easier to find than 22LR. I am done with 22LR ... even looking at casting 22 bullets for a 223 or maybe get a 22 Hornet.

rbuck351
09-17-2014, 01:54 AM
I bought one of the R-2 switch barrel guns recently and although it has pretty good power the best I can get for accuracy is about 1" at 20yds with RWS match pellets at $15 for 250. My hornet and my 223 shoot cheaper, faster, more accurate and hit a lot harder for less money per shot using cast boolits. It's not bad for the money but accuracy isn't what I had hoped for. One of these days I'll bite the bullet and buy one of those PCP guns but right now it's not in the budget.