PDA

View Full Version : Help with 30 Luger load

Stephen Cohen
07-09-2014, 04:45 AM
A good mate of mine has two wonderful Lugers in 30 cal, does anyone know of a nice accurate load with cast. It is hard to get 30 Luger ammo in this country and he would like a load that will allow him to use these pistols without battering them to death.

WILCO
07-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Page 235 of this book:

runfiverun
07-09-2014, 12:55 PM
the lugers need fairly hot ammo to function.
that toggle link system is heavy and requires energy to get into motion.
if I were going to pursue this operation and had only one stab at it I would go with a gas check design, or a plain base gas check system.
I'd also see how much neck clearance I had in the chamber [brass thickness and chamber slop] and try to fit a larger than 308 boolit in there.

Stephen Cohen
07-10-2014, 12:49 AM
My Lyman cast handbook seems to have grown feet and walked off, that was the first place I told him to look but he is not a hand loader yet. Yes runfiverun I was wondering if the Luger needed a warm load to function, when he comes down my way I will ask him to bring it and we will do a chamber cast first. Thanks guys seems all is not lost yet.

fatelk
07-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Years ago I helped a friend work up a load for his Luger pistol in .30 Luger. We were using jacketed bullets, not cast, but I have never had so much trouble developing a functional load as we did for that gun. As I recall, it had to be fairly hot and just the right powder and charge to make it cycle reliably.