PDA

View Full Version : BPCR Boolit Lube

SharpsShooter
09-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Ok, there is a fine recipe for smokeless boolit lube on the board, but does anyone have a concoction for Black Powder that they have used sucessfully? The commercial stuff is not inexpensive and it would be a blast to brew my own lube from scratch.

Junior1942
09-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Try my "Junior Lube." http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/lube.htm It's easy to make and works as advertised. Bunches of guys use it.

SharpsShooter
09-13-2005, 03:55 PM
Try my "Junior Lube." http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/lube.htm It's easy to make and works as advertised. Bunches of guys use it.

Junior,

That looks good to me. One question though; will it firm up enough for pan lubeing ?

Thanks

Junior1942
09-13-2005, 04:18 PM
That looks good to me. One question though; will it firm up enough for pan lubeing ?Yep. If it isn't firm enough, stick the pan in the fridge for a few minutes. But to me, finger lubing is easier thanpan lubing.

13Echo
09-13-2005, 05:29 PM
At the moment I'm using 6 parts Beeswax, 4 parts peanut oil or castor oil and 4 parts anhydrous lanolin by weight. It's working well in my 45-90 even in hot and relatively dry weather keeping the fouling soft and moist and it panlubes easily, but is a bit sticky.

Jerry Liles

Blackwater
09-14-2005, 12:04 AM
I've had better luck with my Emmert's with lanolin than I have with SPG. Emmert's is, as I understand it, an old Schuetzen lube, and it's simple and easy to make - always a plus. It's 50% beeswax, 40% white Crisco (like Mama used to make biscuits with) and 10% canola cooking oil. To that I've added about 6-7% anhydrous lanolin. The lanolin is a good high temp, high pressure lube and it's sticky. It helps the lube stick to the bullets, and helps make it better for pan lubing. Sure has seemed to keep the fouling softer than the SPG seemed to, or at least in my gun it has.

The anhydrous lanolin can be ordered from your local pharmacy, but it'll probably be cheaper to order it. Try a search for Majestic Mountain Sage. Can't remember the url at the moment. It'll probably save you some money. The beeswax can also be had there, if you have trouble finding a local bee keeper to get it from. The Crisco and canola oil are at your local grocery.

Good lube, IMO. I shoot it in a Saeco #745 bullet, and that bullet is oft criticized for barely carrying enough lube. Works in my 30" barrel, anyway. FWIW?