PDA

View Full Version : Leading near muzzle.

JeffinNZ
01-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Team.

My No4 Mk2 Lee Enfield shoots like a house on fire however my current load is depositing a little lead in the last 2 inches or so of barrel.

Is my bullet (CBE, similar to 314299) running out of lube??:confused:

If so would lubing the nose of the bullet help?

Bass Ackward
01-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Team.

My No4 Mk2 Lee Enfield shoots like a house on fire however my current load is depositing a little lead in the last 2 inches or so of barrel.

Is my bullet (CBE, similar to 314299) running out of lube??:confused:

If so would lubing the nose of the bullet help?

Jeff,

If your leading is on the lands, then lubing the nose might help.

If it's a solid wash in the grooves, then you just need more, a better grade of lube, or a harder bullet. Or a good hacksaw.

Three44s
01-20-2008, 09:51 PM
I have never had to do this but other shooters have had good luck with the following quick fix:

Try Lee Liquid Lube ...... LLA ........ on your already lubed and sized slugs ......... it may not help but trying might help and sure won't break the bank.

I have used LLA quite a bit on revolver loads with the Lee micro grooved slugs and at moderate velocities ...... I have never been disappointed.

Others rave on it for the above supplement.

Best of luck

Three 44s

JeffinNZ
01-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Or a good hacksaw.

Now THAT's funny. :-D

Does appear to be on the lands only so I will give the rounds a slippery nose and try again.

The lube is good. I shoot it well in excess of 2000fps in my .303's and .223 and it holds up well. This load is doing only in the region of 1600fps.

MtGun44
01-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Any possibility that the muzzle is worn from improper cleaning and the
boolit is undersized at the last couple of inches and you are getting
leading due to gas cutting? If so counterboring may salvage things
without a significant change in overall appearance, and the need to
move the front sight, etc.

Bill

Bass Ackward
01-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Now THAT's funny. :-D

Does appear to be on the lands only so I will give the rounds a slippery nose and try again.

The lube is good. I shoot it well in excess of 2000fps in my .303's and .223 and it holds up well. This load is doing only in the region of 1600fps.

If it were a lack of lube or pressure, the leading would be flash 360 degrees. Try the extra lube. Cheap and easy option. Analyze it one thing at a time if that don't take care of it.

Had a handgun that I shoot periodically. Had been well over a year since I shot jacketed in it and I was using PB. I cleaned initially with Hopes Elite stuff until I got what I saw. Then the rest of the week I use Hoppes Bench Rest, soaking for 24 hours rotating the gun position and usually by Thursday, I have no more color. Friday is polish day for new handguns when they get the JB treatment to help expedite the break-in process process. This is the same exact treatment all my guns get.

Well, this handgun would not shoot PB without leading. Usually in the same spots. I shot and cleaned all this time with standard Hoppes to get lead over the course of that week just as I described above and I was about to give up on PB. I had tried everything from harder bullets to lower pressure, to sizing, 7 lubes, etc.

For no logical reason, in went some Sweets and I got white foaming in spots. Thinking I had discovered something, I ran the dry patch later and got absolutely no color. This is after a year of shooting and cleaning with Hoppes where no copper was used. Waste of time I guess and an act of desperation. Next time out, no leading. Hasn't been any since.

Now that is probably cleaning over kill. And after one year and at least 500 lead test rounds, I still had some (enough) copper. While some guns can shoot cast over light copper, evidently, this one wouldn't.