PDA

View Full Version : What a morning thoday has been

country gent
07-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Just need to let this out. Got up this morning looking forwrd to going to Camp Perry for first shot cerimonies and commercial rows opening day. I woke up feeling pretty good and got around waited a little bit to head out to catch my ride with the guy I was gong with. I left and got about 6 miles from home and the Bird overheats. I pulled over and didnt see anything obvious. Let it cool down and turned around for home. I made a couple miles and it was pushing the high end so pulled over and let it cool out. This time I saw a hole in the housing under the radiator cap mount. Hoping this isnt going to be to super expensive to get fixed. What a day. CAr is being towed to the shop and waiting for call from them.

jmort
07-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Hope it is a quick/ inexpensive fix and you get to see some of the action. That is a great event to be sure.

country gent
07-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Well heard back from the garage today. I was right in what I seen. Housing for thermostat and radiator cap ( Plastic casting) broke. Replaced housing thermostat and radiator cap. Oil change just to be sure no water got in the crankcase either. Totaled out 417.00 including the tow bill which Ill get reimbursed for by my car insurance. So not to bad all the parts had to come from Fords blue oval for it. CAp is due in tommorow. Unfortunatly I missed the ride to the first shot cerimonies and commercial row. Buddy called last night telling how much powder, primers and everything there. We may go down in 2 weeks.

runfiverun
07-08-2014, 08:55 PM
$417? in the old day's 2 minutes with some 3 dollar j.b. weld,, and you'd have been back on the road.

dakotashooter2
07-10-2014, 10:41 AM
The way things are built today I'm suprised they didn't have to replace the entire radiator...........

Also suprised they didn't just dump in a bottle of stop leak and charge you for the housing anyway, like I got burned on my water pump repair be a local dealership.

osteodoc08
07-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Glad you got her up and running for under $1k. Seems like radiator work is becoming more and more expensive. Just ask all the diesel owners replacing their radiators from not maintaining them with this new nitrate free coolant mess.

country gent
07-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Owner of the garage is a friend and fellow shooter, He showed me the housing the "hole" that broke out was almost 3/4" in dia in the housing. Thermostat comes in peices and is assembled into the housing. The last piece is a lock you push in place and turn 180* to lock in place. No other damage to the motor and had oil changed just in case and coolant got in the crankcase. Its running good. Just sorry I missed the first shot cerimonies at Camp Perrys starting of the National this year.