PDA

View Full Version : Craziest thing you have witnessed on the range.

Silfield
07-07-2014, 07:20 AM
Following on from the "Odd things you have found at the range" post.

I just wanted to share this with you.
Her in the UK my shooting club has the use of a 1200 yard range that is about a 45minute drive from my house and we get to use it a couple of times a month. It is in a rural location surrounded by farm land with woodland on one side but the only problem is that there is an ancient right of way (footpath)across the range at about the 300 yard point. Needless to say that we have to post sentries on both sides of the range with radios to halt shooting if anyone wants to cross , which is a rare occurrence. One particular day we were shooting from back @ 1000yards and the "Stop, Stop, Stop!" signal was squawked from the radios, we made safe our rifles and waited, only to see a man staggering across the range with a large roll of carpet on his shoulder! Apparently the sentry had seen him coming down the footpath and informed him there was live firing on the range ahead but the detail was due to finish in approx 5-10 minutes so why doesnt he have a breather from his heavy load (the sentry even offered to make him a coffee). This guy was in no mood for small talk and was very insistent that it was his right to carry on unhindered and the risk to his well-being did not even come into the equation, so off he trotted.
We just sat there totally bemused from what we were witnessing and wondered how far this chap had to go with his precious cargo!
Deer wandering across the range and Pheasants walking across the sand trap are a fairly regular occurrence but the man with the carpet was hopefully a one-off:confused:

imashooter2
07-07-2014, 08:22 AM
At USPSA, I was ROing and the stage was El Presidente (start facing up range, turn draw and fire). Of course you load and holster facing down range, then turn and prepare to shoot. This guy was right in the middle of the pack and had seen at least 5 before him do just that. I got him in the box facing down range and told him to make ready. Idiot turns up range and starts to pull his gun facing the whole squad. I got my hand on his before he cleared leather, but that is the single stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Janoosh
07-07-2014, 09:21 AM
People sweeping the firing line with their firearms....scope on backwards...scope turned so adjustment dial on left side....sighting in "New" firearm w/scope at 100 yds ( two boxes of ammo gone before he asked for help, although we offered beforehand)....

phonejack
07-07-2014, 09:36 AM
We were half way thru a high power match at Camp Robinson, Arkansas when 3 people on horseback suddenly rode out of the woods between us and the pits. Tongue lashing would not describe what the army range officer gave them for being so ------ !

texassako
07-07-2014, 09:43 AM
A couple of months back I was down range when an old man decided he did not need a cease fire anymore. The RO's got pretty tense when he started waving his loaded pistol around trying to make his point that he was a good enough shot to not hit anyone down range. He stomped off hollering he would never be back, and I am pretty sure they would not let him in if he did.

bob208
07-07-2014, 09:57 AM
I have seen many. guy loading a muzzle loader with a cig. in his mouth. guy had a bubbaed type77 jap rifle, of the last ditch type. I told him it was safe to shoot. he laughed and said he knew what he was doing. the third shot sounded different. he came off the line with half his beard smoking and ear bleeding.

Hickok
07-07-2014, 10:03 AM
I was locked in on the bench, ear plugs in, focused in the scope set at 12x (narrow field of view) and suddenly I could faintly hear an engine sound through the ear plugs. Lift my head up off the rifle, and down range there are two atv 4 wheelers that have come down over a step bank right into the shooting range.

The cosmonauts on the 4 wheelers suddenly realized they were in a bad place and raced off.

Jack Ripper
07-07-2014, 10:28 AM
I was next to a guy with an ar 15 with no rear sight shooting at 100 yards. Bullets were hitting everything but the target. He just couldn't figure out why he wasn't hitting the target. I offered my advice to stop shooting until he acquired a rear sight, but he didn't want my advice.

500MAG
07-07-2014, 10:35 AM
I was next to a guy with an ar 15 with no rear sight shooting at 100 yards. Bullets were hitting everything but the target. He just couldn't figure out why he wasn't hitting the target. I offered my advice to stop shooting until he acquired a rear sight, but he didn't want my advice.
When I was about 18 I use to go to a small indoor range near my house. Let's just say this place would not pass today's safety requirements. Because of ricochet problems, they only allowed cast boolits and sold only wadcutters to shoot. It was just me and the guy in the next lane, who happened to be a paraplegic in his wheelchair. Suddenly, this guy pulls out his 357 and I don't know what he was shooting but they were ricocheting all over the place. I dove on the floor and he cracked up laughing.

Jack Ripper
07-07-2014, 10:39 AM
He would of been a paraplegic with a busted jaw or black eye.

brtelec
07-07-2014, 10:52 AM
I was a range officer at a range in Virginia for a few years. I had a number of people come out and just walk down range while it was hot to hang a target.

I had a LEO demonstrate to his friend how his 1911 will not fire if you push the slide back slightly and blow a hole in his own hand.

I watched a guy wrap his hand around the frame of his S&W 29 at the flash gap and pull the trigger. That was interesting.

I watched two Japanese fellows mount their own scope on their brand new Weatherby rifles because they were too cheap to let our smith do it. That resulted in both of them getting a third eyebrow, that was actually funny.

I threw numerous drunks off the range and had one that was about 75 to 80 years old rip me a new ******* about how long he had been shooting and what a prick I was. When I told him Prick or not he was out of there. He reached for his single action army on his hip and I stuck my 686 in his sternum and told him to turn around and leave. He never flinched, he just gave me a look that would kill and nodded his head, turned on his heel and left. I spent the rest of that day watching over my shoulder.

I got a bunch more.

jcwit
07-07-2014, 10:53 AM

You are joking, right?

That kind of action would really been great when it hit the media.

What gives people the idea they have the right to beat of others.

jcwit
07-07-2014, 10:57 AM
I threw numerous drunks off the range and had one that was about 75 to 80 years old rip me a new ******* about how long he had been shooting and what a prick I was. When I told him Prick or not he was out of there. He reached for his single action army on his hip and I stuck my 686 in his sternum and told him to turn around and leave. He never flinched, he just gave me a look that would kill and nodded his head, turned on his heel and left. I spent the rest of that day watching over my shoulder.

Now that I understand.

500MAG
07-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Wouldn't want to go hit a paraplegic especially if he got that way defending my freedom.

1Shirt
07-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Was at a range with Btroj a few years back, when a guy showed up with an AK and a couple of 30 round mags. He asked if he had to shoot at a target, or if he could just shoot at the birm. With that in mind, we kept an eye on him, and he proceeded to pull off a few founds at a time from one of the 30 rd. mags. When he finished with the first mag, he put in the second, and fired off the whole mag about as fast as he could pull the trigger. Then for some reason, he reached forward and grabbed the barrel just behind the front sight. Did not touch the bbl, but grabbed it! You could almost smell the meat of his palm burning, and he packed up and left. Has to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen done on a range!
1Shirt!

Jack Ripper
07-07-2014, 11:06 AM
What gives that guy the right to risk my life and laugh about it. I don't give a flip if your handicap, you do something that risks my life and laugh about it, you deserve what you get. I would expect to be punched if I did something like that on purpose.

Jack Ripper
07-07-2014, 11:13 AM
So you guys are saying that a person is held to different standards because they can't use their legs. Sorry if I offended anyone, but that rubs me wrong.

Love Life
07-07-2014, 11:26 AM
I agree with Jack Ripper. I wouldn't throw the crippled man a beat down, but I would have choice words with him. Does not matter that he is crippled nor does it matter how/where he got crippled. A man puts your life at risk, and laughs about it, deserves no respect. Fact.

500MAG
07-07-2014, 11:32 AM
I agree with Jack Ripper. I wouldn't throw the crippled man a beat down, but I would have choice words with him. Does not matter that he is crippled nor does it matter how/where he got crippled. A man puts your life at risk, and laughs about it, deserves no respect. Fact.
I agree, I did give him a piece of my mind and on my way out, alerted the range personnel. Around that time, many of the handicapped were Vietnam Vets. Being that my Stepfather and 3 Uncles served in Vietnam I have a lot of respect for them. Besides, one of my Uncles is just the type to pull something like that. Lol

Love Life
07-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Being a vet does not give you a free pass to endanger the safety of others and run roughshod over range rules. It does get you discount at Lowes though.

youngmman
07-07-2014, 11:38 AM
My first job, outside of lawn mowing, was pulling traps at the range where I took the NRA hunter safety course at age 13. I used to go to that range and shoot later in life and have gone to the Fish Canyon range, now closed, here near Pasadena, CA many years ago.

The general experience I have had is that there are just enough *** holes at ranges that I don't want to be around them which is unfortunate because there are some great people too. So for the last 30 years or so, I drive 100 miles or so to an isolated area of the desert to a remote canyon, when I want to shoot targets, so I won't have to deal with the BS. Or I walk a 10 or 12 mile rout looking for jack rabbits to pop on the run with a handgun. That develops much better, more practical, skill than targets ever will. The downside is that my partner who went with me all those years recently died of cancer. It's really a bitch to lose a good shooting buddy.

I do cast a variety of bullets and you get to see first hand the practical killing power of them vs. all the theoretical stuff.

jcwit
07-07-2014, 11:39 AM
I agree with Love Life, a tongue lashing informing him how disrespectful and stupid he was is in order.

Taking it to the level of beating on him is uncalled for. Your right with your fist ends at the tip of my nose, and his also.

Having legs or not having legs has nothing to do with it.

doc1876
07-07-2014, 12:41 PM
back around 1977, I was at a CW reenactment, and was struggling with a hang over while on the field, and a guys arm and a cannon ramrod went flying through the air across the field. Seems he was loading a 6lb howitzer with plastic bags of 1/2 lb bp, and one kind of melted and went boom while he was ramming it down.
I haven't seen much to top this since.

hornady308
07-07-2014, 12:48 PM
I done seen a housefly, a horse fly, a deer fly, even an elephant fly, but I ain't never seen no arm fly. I bet that's an image that sticks with a man.

bdicki
07-07-2014, 01:08 PM
The town that I live in has a public range that you can use for a $5 a year fee. We showed up to sight in a couple of rifles and were waiting for 3 guys with muzzle loaders to finish up before putting or targets out. Two guys shot and the third guys cap went off but not the powder charge. With a puzzled look on his face he proceeded to put the muzzle to his eye and look down the barrel. We left.

doc1876
07-07-2014, 01:31 PM
I'd be gone too.

Yes it sticks with me when I am out with the guys and the guns, so I may be a little over conscious as far as safety, but it don't affect my sleeping none. I think his kids, who were his crew, probably don't sleep much, tho.

MarkP
07-07-2014, 01:35 PM
I saw a guy blow up a Spanish O/U 20 ga while shootingskeet. After the shot he was still holding the forearm and stock / receiver, but the bbl'sflew forward about 10 feet and the side of the receiver was found on the nextskeet field. Double charge ofGreendot. It sounded like a 300 Mag.
Also saw the aftermath of a double charge in an IthacaM-37 20ga, the barrel burst at the chamber and mangled the magazine tube. I do not recall for certain if it damaged thereceiver.

Dave C.
07-07-2014, 02:20 PM
While competing in the Pistol phase of the national matches had to stop firing due to eagles in the impact zone and also water craft!

Dave C.

Hickok
07-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Was at a range with Btroj a few years back, when a guy showed up with an AK and a couple of 30 round mags. He asked if he had to shoot at a target, or if he could just shoot at the birm. With that in mind, we kept an eye on him, and he proceeded to pull off a few founds at a time from one of the 30 rd. mags. When he finished with the first mag, he put in the second, and fired off the whole mag about as fast as he could pull the trigger. Then for some reason, he reached forward and grabbed the barrel just behind the front sight. Did not touch the bbl, but grabbed it! You could almost smell the meat of his palm burning, and he packed up and left. Has to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen done on a range!
1Shirt! I got a good laugh on that one!

"Hey bud, where you going, you dropped your mags here in the grass!!!" :bigsmyl2:

I did have one incident at the range where I didn't know wether to laugh or feel sorry for the guy. I was just finishing up shooting and gathering up my gear when two fellows showed up. A little chit chat and they were shooting in a Browning Abolt 30/06 with 180gr ammo. The fellow throws his coat down on the bench, and bends at the waist while standing up, places the 30/06 on his coat and gets ready to shoot. I then offered to let them use my Hart front benchrest and my rear leather bag to shoot in their rifle. "Naw, we can get it zeroed like this just fine."

OK.

When the fellow pulled the trigger, he tucked in and hunched up, and while still remaining in the "standing, bent at the waist" position backed away from the bench. When he finally got into an erect position, he had a nice cut above the eye brow and down the bridge of his nose. Some snot, some tears and some blood.

That was the only shot fired from the 30/06 that day, as he and his buddy loaded up and left.

Gator 45/70
07-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Best story today ! +1

back around 1977, I was at a CW reenactment, and was struggling with a hang over while on the field, and a guys arm and a cannon ramrod went flying through the air across the field. Seems he was loading a 6lb howitzer with plastic bags of 1/2 lb bp, and one kind of melted and went boom while he was ramming it down.
I haven't seen much to top this since.

Gunslinger1911
07-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Well, can't beat the flying arm......... Back in late 70's, Dept Natural Resources range (no RO), things were pretty loose.
Guy walks up to 25 yd range, scruffy BDU's, HUGE beard, red Keds sneakers. Carrying am M1 carbine.
"OK to pop a few ?"
Sure, we sez. I offered him the silhouette I had just hung - figuring this should be good !
Wails away 20 rounds. Target, virgin.
Upset guy proceeds to pull a bayonet and throws it at the target !
Dead center thru the heart.
Figured out later he was using the "wing" of the front sight instead of the post.

Gunslinger1911
07-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Nother one, Eccentric older guy came to the range most Sundays, must have been wealthy - always had the coolest guns. Semi-auto Thompson, 44 Automag, Hammerli free pistol, to name a few he brought over the summer. Always super nice, let us shoot his toys.
Shows up one day with this nice oak pistol box. Inside, two 6 1/2" model 29's, "A" engraving, zip tied. NEVER been cocked, we figured.
Nice we sez, thanks for sharing, those are beautiful !
Sly grin on his face, he holds up a pair of wire cutters.
No way, we sez.
Way.
Cuts em, loads em, and proceeds to shoot both, one in each hand.
Turns around when done, holds them out butt first and says "next?"
He came with 6 full boxes, left with 6 empty boxes !

**oneshot**
07-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Watching another shooter sighting in his 243 rifle at the 100yd line. He fired one group, made his corrections, proceded to shoot another group and as he fired his 3rd shot a bird(we think a catbird) swooped in at about 75yds and popped like a pillow when he fired. He looked up from his scoped only to see the puff of feathers.
Myself and one other shooter saw it happen and couldn't stop shaking our heads.

doc1876
07-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Nother one, Eccentric older guy came to the range most Sundays, must have been wealthy - always had the coolest guns. Semi-auto Thompson, 44 Automag, Hammerli free pistol, to name a few he brought over the summer. Always super nice, let us shoot his toys.
Shows up one day with this nice oak pistol box. Inside, two 6 1/2" model 29's, "A" engraving, zip tied. NEVER been cocked, we figured.
No way, we sez.
Way.

yea, when I get ready to go, I want to go out in style too!!

clintsfolly
07-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Was at a DNR range and it was full so the brainchild goes over and shoots the cellser bales for bows with his 12ga with both slugs and buckshot! Stuff flying everywhere and the DNR RO was real inpressed with him. So was the deputy that gave him a ride to the county seat. :) clint

btroj
07-07-2014, 06:16 PM
1Shirt!

This was the guy who asked if he had to shoot a target or if he could just shoot the berm.

His brass was hitting me badly so I moved a few benches over.

I damn near near fell over laughing when he grabbed the barrel, the mirage coming off of it was unreal.
What a maroon

garandsrus
07-07-2014, 06:41 PM
I love the guys at the range trying to get on paper at 25 yards. Their first shot will be about 8" from center and they adjust the scope "2 clicks" and shoot another shot, thinking that the impact point will change.

GT27
07-07-2014, 06:56 PM
I was there when this happened,has had a effect on me that will be with me for the rest of my life... RIP my friend Glenn DeRuiter
...:sad:

http://www.msgunowners.com/t22036-a-firearm-accident-that-killed-a-friend

wallenba
07-07-2014, 07:01 PM
A young newbie next to me was frustrated about not getting on paper. I offered some advice about removing the bolt and bore sighting it first, and that I thought he might be adjusting the windage the wrong way. "I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!" he replied. When shooting resumed I put my next three rounds through his bullseye. He was happy for a while about 'his' success. But strangely he was unable to repeat it.

Not crazy, but it's what I got.

Yeah... I'm evil in a funny way.:bigsmyl2:

flyingmonkey35
07-07-2014, 07:13 PM
GT7 sad.

For me I was out shooting clays with my son and brother in law when a car comes screeching off the road And slams on their breaks infront and to the left of us. I didn't shoot the target that was in the air

A woman gets out of the car and starts pulling out gear. And kids. Husband is still behind the wheel.

I yelled at them that they were in my line of fire the driver flips me off drives in front of the whole firing line and parks further down.

More cars pull up and little tikes start coming out.

Targets go up. Ar15 come out bullets and kids start to go down range at the same time. Parents wanted to shoot not watch the kids.

No hearing protect ion on anyone

needless to say we packed up and left.

willie_pete
07-07-2014, 07:43 PM
A young newbie next to me was frustrated about not getting on paper. I offered some advice about removing the bolt and bore sighting it first, and that I thought he might be adjusting the windage the wrong way. "I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!" he replied. When shooting resumed I put my next three rounds through his bullseye. He was happy for a while about 'his' success. But strangely he was unable to repeat it.

Not crazy, but it's what I got.

Yeah... I'm evil in a funny way.:bigsmyl2:

that's cold. :)

i was was at an indoor range one day and a guy came in and laid out a .45 to shoot a few stalls down from me. First ( and only ) magazine went full auto. One round hit his target; six others stitched holes in the ceiling. He packed up and left after talking to the staff.

WP

DRNurse1
07-07-2014, 09:42 PM
I heard about the 'Glenn' story when it happened as 'a guy was shot at a local range, looks self inflicted.' I work at a local trauma hospital, but I did not delve into it further and the local news was strangely quiet about it. I shop at SARCO in Easton, too, and had not heard the full story until now. I am sorry for your experience, and for his loss to the shooting community.

My addition to this thread is from a near miss: wife and I were shooting in a 'league'--RO, well constructed outdoor covered 25 yd bulls eye range--when some other club members showed up and wanted to join us. Third relay National Match Course (most folks only shoot one or two relays so we were the only two shooters left), Slow Fire Stage and we were down range scoring when the new folks showed up. The RO welcomed them then allowed them to unpack their firearms while we were still downrange. Scared the stuff out of my wife when I yelled at the new arrivals and crouched unsnapping my concealed carry holster (did not draw but that was the next step if the new arrivals did not leave their firearms on the bench and step back--I think that is what I yelled because that is what they did).

Needless to say we left immediately (did not complete the relay), and stopped shooting in this league. I could not bring myself to discuss that event with the RO or the league secretary (on the firing line during the event) at the time, but did manage to chat with the CRO about it later.

This kind of near miss is unfortunately common (muzzle sweeping the range, failing to follow other existing safety rules 'just this once'...) and only leads to a complacent firearm owner and hence to ND's. The RO is a Marine, shoots regularly at other venues and, I am certain, he knows 'the Right way' and, likely, the Marine way,' but I cannot believe he let that occur.

imashooter2
07-07-2014, 09:44 PM
No way, we sez.
Way.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't understand why a guy would buy an engraved gun and not shoot it.

dilly
07-07-2014, 10:12 PM
I have also been witness to a new AR owner who didn't have the foresight to pick up an aft sight (pun intended) and just wanted to pop a few off as fast as he could. The shots kept rising up the berm and I am not sure they all hit it.

Frank46
07-07-2014, 11:32 PM
On our old range it wasn't unusual to have cows wander around down range. Noise didn't seem to bother them. I had one directly behind my target once and all you could see was the legs. Then on the pistol range while firing had a police officer start down range to change his target. Everyone stopped shooting and he was ticked off as he got a royal chewing out from the shooters. And being in Louisiana you gotta watch out for snakes. more than once someone will go down range and all of a sudden it's feets don't fail me now. yep snake. then there was the idiot with the shotgun (loaded) who accidently shot up a display of western clothing as they had a cowboy action event at the range. That one cost him big $$$. And then there are parents who let their kids run around messing with other folks stuff while not saying anything to their offspring. That one got shut down in a hurry. Turns out he was not a member and due to his kids messing with other folks stuff was politely asked to leave. Frank

brtelec
07-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't understand why a guy would buy an engraved gun and not shoot it.

I agree. Just a couple of weeks ago I bought a Stainless Ruger Bisley that is 100% engraved and of course unfired. Two days after I got it I took it to the range and put 100 rounds through it. Unfired guns are overpriced paperweights. I do not collect paperweights.

Mik
07-08-2014, 12:14 AM
A shooter next to me on the firing line was shooting a 1911 without ear protection, his earmuffs were clasped around the back of his neck. When the RO yelled at him to put his ears on, the guy didn't holster, didn't put the gun down on the table, I don't think he even engaged the safety, he just reached up with both hands and put his ears in place, pointing the gun at his head in the process.

MaryB
07-08-2014, 12:33 AM
I was on the 300 yard range at the local club I belong to getting in some long distance practice with my Savage axis 223(prairie dog range where we go is around 300). Dude pulls out some really rickety looking rifle, then unloads some 50bmg rounds. I packed up and moved 20 feet to watch. One of those cheesy single shots where you attach the round to the bolt then put the bolt in to fire. First 3 were fine, 4th went off as he was inserting the bolt. He tore one finger half off, shrapnelled his entire right side and the bolt embedded itself in the side of his car.

After doing some forst aid to stop the bleeding I waited for the EMT's and ambulance to show up. Ask we waited the guy mentioned he was shooting his own reloads from some powder a guy gave him that he wasn't sure what it was... the first 3 rounds had damaged the bolt badly and the 4th went off when the firing pin snapped forward with the bolt out of battery. Next time the guy came to the range he thanked me for the first aid. I promptly started packing to move to a different lane and he gave me a look of "what?". There was no way I would stay next to that dude while he shot handloads...

Bent Ramrod
07-08-2014, 01:27 AM
No gory experiences for me, as yet at least, thank God.

I was checking out my Chrony with match .22 rimfire to see whether I was getting realistic numbers, which I was. I'm always happy on those none-too-frequent occasions where I seem to be getting good value for a low price. On the bench next to me was a guy with the same model Chrony, at the same distance from the muzzle of his rifle, only it was a .243. Every time he fired, the Chrony shivered on its tripod like a sapling in a wind gust.

The skyscreens on the Chronys at that time were attached to the instrument by a piece of cardboard with a hole in the center, marked for scope or iron sights. I was interested to see that this arrangement was not loosened by the blast from the .243, and congratulated myself again on my purchase.

Then the guy said, "Well, that's enough for this one," cased the .243, and uncased a Model 71 in .348. I opened my bolt so he could go forward and reposition his Chrony a little farther away, but he made no move to do so, setting the 71 in the bags, loading a round into the chamber and sitting down. "Don't you think your chronograph is too close to the muzzle for that big rifle?" I asked. "We'll know in about 2 seconds," he replied, with an air of breezy confidence, and pulled the trigger.

Both cardboard skyscreen holders disintegrated into a cottony swirl of paper pulp, the plastic screens flew straight up, and the Chrony sagged down as one leg of the tripod telescoped inwards. But it caught itself at the next notch and didn't fall completely over. I was watching the front of the instrument while it reeled, and was amazed to see the numbers roll up to a reading of 2530, which I figured had to be pretty close to the standard velocity of the cartridge. I again experienced happiness over my purchase, but the guy at the next bench seemed a little put out, sacking his rifle, cleaning his stuff off the bench and leaving forthwith.

"'Tis sport to see the enginer hoist on his own petard." I think Hamlet would have gotten a kick out of this one too,

shooterbob
07-08-2014, 03:23 AM
Went to a public range and had an older gent sit down in the lane next to us and uncased a Beretta 9mm. He had shot a couple of mags and all the sudden my buddy grabs me and tells me to stop shooting and back off the bench. Apparently the guy was admiring his gun or something turned it across his body and popped one over my head. I didn't say a word as the look on his face told me he knew what he had done. Left very quickly.
Another time was at a range shooting a 300h&h and a guy with an AR shows up and sits down in the bench next to me. I lean down on the scope and as I'm about to fire, I see movement in my scope. The guy was charging the target on a hot range. He was almost running while shooting. The guy on the other side of him did fire as he didn't see the movement. Ro went berserk on the guy, and we never saw him again.

merlin101
07-08-2014, 04:33 AM
A slightly different range, impact area for field artillery. During a FTX at Ft Sill years ago base piece had fired two rounds (155mm HE) and the battery was prepared to fire two rounds for effect ( total 12 rounds) when all of a sudden I hear to FO screaming in the radio "CHECK FIRE CHECK FIRE CHECK FIRE" I jumped on the land line and passed the order on and held my breath! No loud BOOM thats good! Turns out a couple of nimrod soon to be privates decide to take a deuce N half for a joy ride out in the impact area! They came close to having 1200lbs of hot steel land on em.

chuckbuster
07-08-2014, 06:44 AM
How about a 7-8 year old shooting a Taurus Judge..... Hands barely made it around the grip

Deliverator
07-08-2014, 12:50 PM
My brother told me a story of a couple nimrods deciding to remove a stuck HE round from a 155 using a LMTV and a howitzer cleaning rod. First they tried to push it out with just the rod. Since that didn't work they decided to wheel the barrel down flat and slam into the rod with a 5 ton truck. Shortly there after they called EOD.

EOD guy showed up, pointed out how stupid and dangerous what they were doing was, put a small explosive charge in the breach, closed it, and detonated it after moving everyone WAY WAY back. The round went down range but didn't detonate, and the howitzer was toast.

flyingmonkey35
07-08-2014, 12:54 PM
A slightly different range, impact area for field artillery. During a FTX at Ft Sill years ago base piece had fired two rounds (155mm HE) and the battery was prepared to fire two rounds for effect ( total 12 rounds) when all of a sudden I hear to FO screaming in the radio "CHECK FIRE CHECK FIRE CHECK FIRE" I jumped on the land line and passed the order on and held my breath! No loud BOOM thats good! Turns out a couple of nimrod soon to be privates decide to take a deuce N half for a joy ride out in the impact area! They came close to having 1200lbs of hot steel land on em.
Buahhaha

Had something similar with a bunch of boy scouts looking for a camp site.

Heard the scout mastery state he's camped there hundreds of times. Ignoring the fence and signs et...

Hozaaza
Redleg

Ed Barrett
07-08-2014, 01:16 PM
A few years ago I was at a public range up by St. Joe. Four fellows showed up and started shooting mosin m44's with surplus ammo. They started out at the 100yd. range then the 50 yd. range then the 25 yd. range, where I was shooting pistol, I tried to explain to them that the sights on most military rifles are set for human sized targets at 100 to 200 yds. They explained to me that they knew more about guns than I could ever learn.

When they went to leave they were putting there guns in zip up cases. One of them said that you should always pull the trigger to make sure there is no pressure is on the firing pin spring. Well one by one they half unzipped the cases and pulled the triggers. The third one had the gun go off blowing a hole in the case. They all quickly threw the guns in the trunk and started to leave. About that time smoke started coming from the trunk, they started to panic and bailed out of the car. I told them to open the trunk while I got a fire extinguisher out of my truck. It turns out the flannel lining of the case caught fire and that started the plastic on fire. It charred the wood on the forend wood. One of these geniuses told the the others that the gun was ruined because the barrel had lost it's temper and the gun was defective because it went off when it should not have.

The threw the gun in the trash barrel and left pretty fast, probably because I was laughing so much.

That gun had a pretty good bore and after shooting some cast loads in it.

M-Tecs
07-08-2014, 01:41 PM
My local trap and skeet club has rental firearms. Middle age man rents one to shoot a round of skeet. He is on my squad. He walked to station one and put the barrel in his mouth and pulls the trigger. He flopped two or three feet into the air. Seemed like 30 seconds but it propely was only a couple.

Jack Ripper
07-08-2014, 02:38 PM
My local trap and skeet club has rental firearms. Middle age man rents one to shoot a round of skeet. He is on my squad. He walked to station one and put the barrel in his mouth and pulls the trigger. He flopped two or three feet into the air. Seemed like 30 seconds but it propely was only a couple.

That wins for craziest.

docone31
07-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Just got back from the range today. Lots of 400lb Mall Ninjas in all black with black head coverings. They all had Mosins and Sks's. It was amazing watching them walk to the 100yd target stations. Some had compression stockings, most waddled and sweat like crazy. They got back and were huffing and puffing. Sat through that firing round, and started to get ready in the next. Several had bandoliers and leggings. It was amazing.I was sighting in my Hawken, the front sight is too high. I been playing with patch thickness, lubes, ball size and load.Well, one range officer came to our table, picked up my 1911 and started racking the slide!I kinda resented that. My many years on a bike, my particular desire to have no one touch anything, the callousness was incredible. I have been a member of that club longer than most of them even knew it was there.I was fuming, one Mall Ninja was discussing how his Mosin could do MOA at 1000 meters for rapid fire. He was telling how he could do it, even with heavy wind and factory ammo! Spam can ammo in a factory chamber with a reamed muzzle.What a shot that guy was. He never fired though, just told others how to do it.I spoke to the top range officer and told him what the other did, he will take care of it, and we left the Ninjas to do their amazing shots that no one saw.We just left early.I know how much to file the front sight, never did fire the 1911, it did well all the other times.We just left.Times have changed for sure.

TenTea
07-08-2014, 03:17 PM
I've given out a couple dozen sets of foam ear plugs for people (families) who come to a shooting range without any ear protection.
A couple years back, here comes dad, mom, 8 year old girl and newborn baby, still nursing and maybe a couple months old.
No one wanted plugs from me, but I near begged the 8 year old wear them (she was shooting a .30-30) and they complied.
Mom just covered the newborns ears with her hands and stood behind the firing line while centerfire rifles were loosed.
The baby cried, but no big deal to them...

Then there are those that bring their dogs to a rifle range and onto the firing line.

Common sense ain't so common.

crawfobj
07-08-2014, 03:21 PM
I hate going to the public range for the reasons you guys have pointed out. I've been fortunate I guess. The craziest thing I've seen was a guy that prematurely discharged his 7mm rem mag and launched the projectile over the berm. The other side if the berm is the sporting clays range and a golf course beyond that. I know a few guys that have had bullets buzzing by them while playing that course. Just one more reason for me to not pick up a golf club.

abqcaster
07-08-2014, 03:28 PM
A petulant college kid. He had a Ruger target pistol and was shooting at bottles not 10 feet from him and missed every one. He threw a temper tantrum like a 4yo and shot at the ground while he was walking away from the stand and TOWARD his group of friends. Dang near shot his own foot. I was gonna give him a pice of my mind, but the "range master" beat me to him. It was sight....

novalty
07-08-2014, 03:38 PM
TenTea,

Thank you for carrying extra hearing protection. I carry 3 sets of ear muffs in my bag, and a couple spare sets of foam plugs. My father-in-law has almost gone through entire plastic bin of the foam plugs to family/friends that have forgotten to bring ear protection. Absolutely baffles me when people show up without any, have a couple in-laws that will show up and refuse any offered to them, and fingers in the ears are not enough. Not sure why someone would want to risk loosing something as valuable as their hearing--especially when people are offering to help.

docone31
07-08-2014, 03:54 PM
I had forgotten the dude next to my wife and myself today.Had a real crappy looking traditions kit that he built. Right.To make a long story short, he had ..50cal, .490 balls handy and he told me, as I had a front stuffer and it seemed to work to him, he kept tearing patches.Set the coffee down, put down the beer, or scotch, and get ready.His rifle barrel said, .45cal.He was driving .50cal balls down the bore with a mechanics hammer. His measure for powder was a film cannister. He filled it kinda half way for the best shot.We left as he was pounding the ball in the bore.Mall Ninjas, nitwits with Muzzleloaders, time to go home.What has happened to people?The Mall Ninjas were using hand signals on the firing line.

TenTea
07-08-2014, 04:05 PM
TenTea,

Thank you for carrying extra hearing protection.{snip}

You bet.
Having been close with many of my elders who had/have hearing loss due to gunfire and heavy equipment noise, it seems like an important protection.
Whilst in my youth, I've run many loud machines, attended many loud rock concerts, and hunted many a duck blind with 12 gauges firing near my head, without protection...I feel compelled to save what I have left and don't wish others to suffer permanent damage.
Hearing is an aid to good living.

JWT
07-08-2014, 07:20 PM
I was shooting at an indoor pistol range when a guy started setting up at the next lane. He had obviously rented the revolver. The guy couldn't hit the target at ten feet. I had set down my gun and stepped back to see what was going on and maybe offer some help. I watched him take the loaded revolver and look down the barrel while he still had his finger in the trigger guard. I packed up quick and got out.

Deliverator
07-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Why is it that everyone here seems more than willing to leave these people in ignorance rather than address the issue? If you see someone climbing up a ladder that isn't on sturdy ground do you just walk away and let them fall? Or do you run over and grab the ladder and hold it until they can climb back down and readjust? Next time you see someone doing something unsafe, tap them on the shoulder and let them know they are doing something unsafe and you'd like to help them fix that so they don't do it again. If they refuse, just tell them you warned them and walk away. Then if they blow their foot/hand/face/neighbor off they did so while intentionally ignorant of safe practices rather than just uneducated.

JWT
07-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Over 20 years ago I was shooting my SMLE over a hay bale on a makeshift range. The guy at the next hay bale was shooting a fancy stainless Ruger Super Red Hawk with a matching Leupold scope. Every time he pulled the trigger it would knock my safety glasses crooked and flatten the grass for a good 20 yards. I backed off to watch the show. After another couple cylinders the glass in the scope broke. He removed the scope and continued. A few minutes later the top strap broke. He wasn't hurt. He just seemed irritated at the poor quality of his equipment.

JWT
07-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Why is it that everyone here seems more than willing to leave these people in ignorance rather than address the issue? If you see someone climbing up a ladder that isn't on sturdy ground do you just walk away and let them fall? Or do you run over and grab the ladder and hold it until they can climb back down and readjust? Next time you see someone doing something unsafe, tap them on the shoulder and let them know they are doing something unsafe and you'd like to help them fix that so they don't do it again. If they refuse, just tell them you warned them and walk away. Then if they blow their foot/hand/face/neighbor off they did so while intentionally ignorant of safe practices rather than just uneducated.

I had the range officer speak to him immediately.

blademasterii
07-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Do you have any idea what kind of pressures you have to achieve to blow up a ruger super redhawk? I would think the recoil and muzzle blast alone would be reason to second guess your loads. I run 19g of 2400 under a 240g boolit and it has a little snap, but well within pressure range. I can't imagine the recoil of loads that would blow up a srh.

JWT
07-08-2014, 07:56 PM
His friend said it was a compressed load.

blademasterii
07-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Of what, Unique? I'm pretty careful to stay well under max loads and I own primarily rugers which are known for being overbuilt. It doesn't take max velocity to take game or punch holes in paper. More powder is more money. :D

Southern Son
07-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Two incidents spring to my mind. When I first got my Remmington 300 Winny Mag, I started handloading for it. The only place I could test these loads was Malabar Rifle range. I was a noob of the first order and happily shooting my loads when an older gentlemen sets up next to me. He pulled out one of the most beutiful Mauser rifles I had seen. He loaded up one round and liit it off. My first thought was "what the hell caliber is that?" It made my 300 loads sound like a BB gun. I looked over at him and saw him struggling to open the bolt. The 2 ROs came over to see why his rifle was waving all ove the place to find him with the but of the rifle wedged between his legs while he tried to open the bolt with BOTH hands. The ROs were two nice fellows so they offered to help. I stood back to watch what was going on. I then heard on of the ROs ask the old fellow "Where did you get the ammo?" The old bloke said with a thick accent of some sort "I make them." The RO then asks "How much of what type of powder did you put in it?" The old bloke holds up one of his handloads and says "Gun powder, I use gun powder......." he then held his finger along the side of the loaded round and said "this much gun powder........" I was gobsmacked, this silly old fool had just let off a bomb nex to my head. The ROs couldn't open the bolt on the rifle so it was put away and the old bloke left.

The second incident happened a few years ago at a BPCR event on a Shooting range at Captains Mountain. We were shooting from the 1000 yard line at a big metal buff. There was a range road that ran onto the range about 500 yards infront of our firing point. To stop anyone using it, we had a gate put up and we would lock the gate and leave a sign on it. The road actually swung around from that gate and went back up past our firing point, where we had a second gate, also locked. What no one knew was that the road had in the past not swung around and gone up range, but it had gone straight out onto a public road. It had been so long since that length of the track had been used, the bush had grown over it. Where that track joined the road, there was a locked gate with a warning sign. Anyway, just as the bloke next to me was about to fire (I mean about to fire, his finger was moving onto the set trigger of the 50/110 Sharps he was shooting), a bloody car drives out of the bush and onto the range. Everyone except the shooter saw it, but lucky for the goose in the car, the shooter heard everyone screaming "HOLD FIRE!!!!" and he stopped and looked up. The RO jumped into his car and raced down there to tear the goose in the car a new one. After a few minutes of the RO and the guy in the car talking, the RO lets the other guy out one of the gates and he drives back up the range to where we were all waiting. We were wondering where the car had come from and asked the RO what had happened and if the idiot in the car was going to be able to sit down any time soon. The RO then tells us about the gate on the public road and how about 10 years earlier it had been the main entrance. The RO then explained that the goose in the car had in fact been one of the high ups in the the Queensland Sporting Shooters Association of Australia (Those orange buttons over most of the Australian Members Avitars are the SSAA membership), and that he had let himself in throught the gate with a key that he had because of his rank in the SSAA. The reason he came in through THAT gate was because he had not been to that range in a few years and had missed the main gate (that he had to have driven past to get to the gate he used, in spite of the big signs saying MAIN GATE). At the time this happened, the Captains Mountain range was being billed as the number one SSAA range in Queensland and this twit, inspite of his rank in the SSAA, couldn't find the main gate and enter the range without nearly getting a 695 grain lead wake up call.

shooterg
07-08-2014, 10:45 PM
On our Range any firearm not in use(held by and in control of the shooter) must have mag removed if applicable , action open, so any RSO can visually see that any firearm not in use is clear . I wouldn't have touched that 1911, but would've asked the owner to make it safe(per our Range site rules).

MaryB
07-09-2014, 01:33 AM
I generally go the range mid week now, avoids all the mall ninja types and the idiots who just bought a gun and had to shoot it that weekend...

higgins
07-09-2014, 06:05 PM
The fellow several years ago who refused to take the disposable earplugs I offered him for either himself or his son - people were shooting centerfire rifles under a roof.

The genius who refused to turn his scope windage (or it could have been elevation) knob in the other direction even though his shots were going further and further in the wrong direction.

The expert who first told me how much he knew about military rifles and later asked me if my Finn Mosin was an M1 (the prominent front sight protector ears must have thrown him). There are more but they don't readily come to mind.

catmandu
07-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Back in the early 80's I went to my local outdoor range. Firing line and benches. There was about 25 feet of grass and the parking lot. I was just going thru the front row when something skipped along in front of me. I stepped on it and picked it up and right quick dropped it. It was hot! It was a cylinder with two halves of cylinders on each side. About that time two shooters start yelling and swinging on a third shooter. He 'was' shooting a S&W M29. Reloaded his own. Remembered that the shell used to be full up to the boolit base. Bullseye instead of Unique.

Paul

flyingmonkey35
07-09-2014, 10:38 PM
So that the range today shooting my Winchester 30 30 at a gong 100 yards when somebody yells that thiers a squirrel on the range what should we do.

Sure enough there is one on the 50 yard line.

I reposition and blow it away.

And yell out what squirrel. They all turn back and point to find it dead.

Crusty looks were given.

RO told me never to do that again.

Not shoot cross range. [emoji12]

MaryB
07-09-2014, 11:30 PM
This wasn't on the range today. It was at the gate. I drive up in my pickup. Park in the driveway and proceed to watch this guy trying to take the g ate apart with a pair of pliers. He finally notices me and turns red. I point to the sign and ask him to read it. He says "members only" I asked for his membership card and of course he didn't have one. Held him for the cops because he had damaged the hinge on one half the gate and was trespassing. Cops show up roll their eyes and said "again?" turns out this dude seems to think he can trespass on the range because it is next to a city park(range is privately owned). Cops hauled him off, I opened th eother half of the gate and scrape through and turn around and close and lock it. We do not leave the gate open unless it is a trap match, it is locked the rest of the time to keep people from driving in and possibly getting shot by an irate member [smilie=b:

StratsMan
07-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Summertime, at a public range a few years ago, no RO... Some yahoo's show up with a variety of guns, including shotguns and exotic ammo... You know, the fancy 12 ga stuff you see online and at gunshows... they're blasting away at empty beer boxes they threw out 15 feet in front of them, projectiles skipping over the berm... even the "flamethrower" type ammo was skipping.... sure enough, some smoke starts rollin' up from beyond the berm. Everyone quickly calls a cease fire and runs downrange to put out the fire. Check that: everyone except the yahoos that started the fire went downrange... After the fire was smothered, the yahoos were nowhere to be found...

Bob in Revelstoke
07-10-2014, 01:41 AM
This was a long time ago and I have never forgotten it and still chuckle at the recalling of it.
I was at the range by myself when a gentleman older than me came to the firing line He had a single action 45 Colt and fired a few rounds off hand. He then proceeded to lie down on his back with his left hand behind his head and his knees bent. He held the .45 against his right leg and was aiming at his target. I remarked that that was not the right thing to do. He didn't say anything, but the look I got said, Don't tell me what to do kid. So, I didn't say anything more. He let one fly. Now, I have seen people jump up in the air , but never seen anyone come straight up from a prone position like he did. There was smoke comming from his blue jeans and he did a short dance. He then packed up his gear and left without saying anything. I have since learned that this is a modified Creedoore Position and requires good leg protection. I have often thought of trying it but now that I am nearly 80 yrs. old good sense has told me not to try it. But I think of it often and still chukle to myself.

shooterbob
07-10-2014, 01:52 AM
This was a long time ago and I have never forgotten it and still chuckle at the recalling of it.
I was at the range by myself when a gentleman older than me came to the firing line He had a single action 45 Colt and fired a few rounds off hand. He then proceeded to lie down on his back with his left hand behind his head and his knees bent. He held the .45 against his right leg and was aiming at his target. I remarked that that was not the right thing to do. He didn't say anything, but the look I got said, Don't tell me what to do kid. So, I didn't say anything more. He let one fly. Now, I have seen people jump up in the air , but never seen anyone come straight up from a prone position like he did. There was smoke comming from his blue jeans and he did a short dance. He then packed up his gear and left without saying anything. I have since learned that this is a modified Creedoore Position and requires good leg protection. I have often thought of trying it but now that I am nearly 80 yrs. old good sense has told me not to try it. But I think of it often and still chukle to myself.

I always love that smug look they give before doing the stupidest stuff in world....priceless.

a.squibload
07-10-2014, 03:58 AM
Last week at our range a guy rented a shotgun, went in the clubhouse restroom and killed himself.
Haven't heard who he was. I was there the next day, saw the cleanup van and the towtruck.

Months ago a few groups were shooting, I saw movement, shouted "cease fire".
Large antelope w/horns walked across in front of the 100yd berm. Our range is
an animal preserve.

Long time ago a friend said "watch this", handed his Ruger SBH to his 92-lb girlfriend.
She seemed to hold it right so no one stopped her. Fired one off and let go, the revolver
went flying about 10 feet and landed in the gravel. We laughed at him.

Same guy, different time, hammer snapped down but nothing happened. He cocked it again,
I yelled "STOP". We found a bullet lodged about halfway down the barrel.

One time up above Blackhawk/Central City we were shooting in a little valley.
Cops showed up, everyone got nervous, made safe.
Cops passed by us, unloaded their stuff, set up targets, etc.
You never know...

Cowboy_Dan
07-10-2014, 05:07 AM
Last range trip, I found a condom wrapper midway between the firng line and the 100 yd target line. I guess someone was practicng safe and risky sex at the same time.

BruceB
07-10-2014, 06:01 AM
Last range trip, I found a condom wrapper midway between the firing line and the 100 yd target line. I guess someone was practicing safe and risky sex at the same time.

Maybe one of the tacticool types, covering-up the muzzle of his precious "shotty" or "Black Wonder Rifle" after ventilating all the baddies.... just like the LRRPs or Special Forces "operators" in the jungle??

Nothing would surprise me. Still, the range would seem to be a rather kinky place to "get it on" with one's significant other. One hopes it was DARK out, anyway, if the rubber was put to its designed use.

brtelec
07-10-2014, 08:11 AM
I worked at an indoor range for a while in the 80's and 90's as well as an outdoor range. we had a guy come in and rent our Glock 17, buy a box of ammo and a target. He did all the paperwork to use the range, set up, shot most of the box of ammo, then he stepped back from the booth, looked both ways and made eye contact with the RO, put the pistol in his mouth and blew the back out of his head. After I left there, they had a couple of more incidents of this happening. Turned out he was a mental patient from St. Elizabeths and was not supposed to be out unsupervised. This occurrence is not all that uncommon. So technically this was the "craziest" I have seen.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-10-2014, 08:35 AM
I've posted this before, but it was the craziest thing that's happened when I was at the range.

I was shooting at a sportmans club many years ago. They have several shooting ranges. I was alone on the Rifle range, there were 3 pistol shooters about 100 yards away in the club's pistol pit, also 2 Sheriff deputies were shooting pistols away from everyone else in the trap range.

A car races up to the locked gate and slams on the brakes, they obviously see the Deputies and go right over to them. After a short discussion, the deputies talked to the three pistol shooters...then came over and asked me a few questions. "What caliber was I shooting?" and "what target was I shooting at?" and "exactly what direction?" They also took my name and such. Then the deputies left with the visitor.

Three weeks later, at the next rifle League meeting that I attended, I got the rest of the story. The neighbor (about 3/4 of a mile away as the bullet flies) and his family was outside eating lunch at their picnic table, under a tree near their house. They heard strange noises in the tree, like bullets hitting leaves and branches. Of course, they also heard shooting. The shooting was normal to them, living near a fairly active sportsman club, and I was told that they didn't hate that. They had never had bullets wizzing through their tree, that they knew of, so they didn't really believe that's what it was at first, because the club had rules and backstops and is down below a bluff, they thought it must be something else...until they heard a window break, a bedroom window, the bullet (identified as a 9mm pistol bullet) hit a pillow on the bed. Well, The neighbor came right over to the club to complain. He was excited to see law enforcement officers there. Well, you know the rest of the story, EXCEPT, the only shooters shooting a 9mm just prior to the neighbor coming to complain to the club that day, was the Deputies and the blame was put on a ricochet.

I won't tell the rest of the story here "Online", because it is speculation on the part of the club's board members as the Sheriff didn't/wouldn't go into detail on any more of the investigation. But IMHO, there is only one way for a 9mm Luger LE issue pistol to push a bullet up and over a fairly high bluff (about 150') and then 3/4 mile over a farm field...and ricochet ain't part of that.

fatelk
07-10-2014, 10:05 PM
A couple years ago I was out in the hills where there are places to shoot. I passed up a couple of places that were occupied, and the one I stopped at was over a hill and past a thick stand of trees from the last place, so no chance of stray bullets coming directly from where others were shooting.

I was standing around picking up some brass someone else had left when I heard an odd noise. The bang, bang, bang from over the hill was normal, but one of them had a buzz to it, and I heard a ricochet. You know how a ricochet will buzz loud and get quieter as it gets further away? This one started quiet and was getting louder!

You know also how you can hear something in the air, like a fly or a plane, and know exactly where it is by following it with your hearing even when you can't see it? I could hear this thing coming at me at a steep angle- BZZZ...splash, right into a mud puddle maybe 15 feet from me. I walked over, reached into the shallow water, and picked a partially flattened .45acp slug out of the mud. Then we left.

dtknowles
07-11-2014, 12:46 AM
.......I watched a guy wrap his hand around the frame of his S&W 29 at the flash gap and pull the trigger. That was interesting.

I say a guy do about the same thing with a S&W .460 and he was lucky his thumb was still attached to his hand, nasty wound.

I watched two Japanese fellows mount their own scope on their brand new Weatherby rifles because they were too cheap to let our smith do it. That resulted in both of them getting a third eyebrow, that was actually funny.

Hey, laugh if you want to, that never happened to you? I have done that more than once, the scope was mounted right I was just climbing to far up the stock. Easy to do shoot off a bench.

Tim

I got a bunch more.

[smilie=l:

dtknowles
07-11-2014, 01:01 AM

I agree with this, he might deserve a beating but you don't get to be judge, and jury unless you are willing to face the same. A the range I shoot at a shooter accidentally shot another (not a mortal wound) during a cold range and got a beat down for it. The people who delivered he beat down were later arrested, tried and convicted of assault and battery.

Tim

Reaper
07-11-2014, 03:11 AM
fatelk, I've had the same experience with .45acp ricochets. One of our range officers was shooting at clays on the 50 meter berm. Heard the unmistakable buzzing of a returning bullet. Hit the deck in time to see it dent the tailgate of my truck. On another occasion, again a .45acp, the returning bullet cleared the range roof and smacked into the hillside behind us. Not necessarily proof of anything, but in my fourteen years as a range officer, they are the only times I've seen this happen. Note: Both rounds were fmj's.

Stephen Cohen
07-11-2014, 05:08 AM
We have a rule that no firearms taken into club house, while one is signing the register to shoot. I turned up to register and noticed an SKK with 30 round clip attached standing in the public gun rack, Since I was a Range officer, and we have a rule that mags be removed, and actions are to be open and firearms unloaded, except on firing line. I pulled mag off and it was full of ammo so I jacked slide and sure enough there was one up the spout and safety was off. I called senior Range officer informed him of what I found, we took rifle and locked it in store room and notified Police. That individual now has a sling shot and pocket full of rocks his licence was revoked. And I'm proud to say I played a part in that.

Swede 45
07-11-2014, 06:21 AM
About ten yrs back, I was at a match in a neighbouring town.. While waiting for my squad to be called we chilled in the cafeteria of the club.
Suddenly I heard the sound of a hammer falling and the guy infront of me turned white and eyes like pingpong balls staring over my shoulder!
I heard the sound once, twice more and turned around towards the table behind me. There´s a guy with a Colt, aiming it right between my shoulders!

I asked him what he was doing?
"yeah, I just trying to get a feeling for the trigger action, I just borrowed this from a friend and I think I´ll use it for the match" said the guy.
My calm reply was " Nice gun, can I look at it?"
Took the gun, checked it to make clear, and tossed it in a foodwaste bin..
The guy looked at me like I was crazy, and started to yell.. now the whole audience in the cafeteria had picked up on the situation..
Up to then I had been very calm.. but now adrenaline kicked in and I tore him a new one.. about 50 heads was turned towards us.. not a single word, chock I guess?

After a long saliva infused "in your face" lecture about basic gunsafety, match safety procedures, safety zones, common sense and my personal opinion that he should pick up stamp collection and drop the gunhandling sports, he studdered out "but it was unloaded!?"
His friend, the owner of the Colt, silently and like a ghost crawled along the wall, swept up the gun from the bin, grabbed his "friend" by the shirt and headed out towards the parkinglot...

Took several minutes untill the buzz came back in the room..

Funny thing.. both guys was highly ranked shooters..

dagger dog
07-11-2014, 08:23 AM
On our Range any firearm not in use(held by and in control of the shooter) must have mag removed if applicable , action open, so any RSO can visually see that any firearm not in use is clear . I wouldn't have touched that 1911, but would've asked the owner to make it safe(per our Range site rules).

More and more ranges are going to empty chamber flags, I bought a dozen then started making them from yellow plastic oil bottles.

It only takes a few seconds to remove the mag' ,bolt, lock back a slide or open the cylinder or loading gate and place a flag in the chamber.

One highly used range in my area requires them, no flags, not a problem they sell them there, when the cease fire horn sounds all fire arms are unloaded then the RO asks if any muzzle loaders are hot if they are they are discharged, then he walks the firing line, a ANY uncased firearms MUST HAVE a empty chamber flag in the breach , if not you have ONE chance, next time your out.

brtelec
07-11-2014, 08:43 AM
.......I watched a guy wrap his hand around the frame of his S&W 29 at the flash gap and pull the trigger. That was interesting.

I say a guy do about the same thing with a S&W .460 and he was lucky his thumb was still attached to his hand, nasty wound.

Hey, laugh if you want to, that never happened to you? I have done that more than once, the scope was mounted right I was just climbing to far up the stock. Easy to do shoot off a bench.

Tim

I got a bunch more.

I did laugh. They mounted the scopes as far back in the rings as they would go. They did not want to spend the $25- to have them mounted by a professional on their, at that time, $1500- rifle package. They had that one coming.

jcwit
07-11-2014, 09:59 AM
More and more ranges are going to empty chamber flags, I bought a dozen then started making them from yellow plastic oil bottles.

It only takes a few seconds to remove the mag' ,bolt, lock back a slide or open the cylinder or loading gate and place a flag in the chamber.

One highly used range in my area requires them, no flags, not a problem they sell the there, when the cease fire horn sounds all fire arms are unloaded then the RO asks if any muzzle loaders are hot if they are they are discharged, then he walks the firing line, a ANY uncased firearms MUST HAVE a empty chamber flag in the breach , if not you have ONE chance, next time your out.

I'm all for empty chamber flags, and totally support their use.

I also am a NRA Certified Range Officer and donate my time at our local range when they hold matches. I've been RO at Regional Bulls Eye Matches & Regional Small Bore Matches. I always walk the line making sure all have their flags in and making sure the line is safe before info is given to the person running the match so shooters can go down range.

There have been times "not often" where I need to remind a shooter to insert their ECI, once in a great while I need to inform the same shooter a second time. NEVER EVER have I even suggested for a shooter to be removed from the line, no one is perfect, all of us make errors, some even make the same error more than once.

I also should add I have never experienced any of the acts given in these posts at any of the matches I have been RO at, most everyone are experienced competitors.

BTW these are matches that may have as many as 70 or more shooters at the line at any one time.

Next week the NRA is holding the National Standard Small Bore Matches here and the following week they are holding the National Metric Small Bore Matches here. Our range consists of 100 lanes.

opos
07-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Tell on myself..when I go to the indoor range I always go early and often have a half hour or so all alone...that was the case when I went about a year ago...357 and 44 mag day...working on some loads...got everything "readied" outside the airlock doors and went into the range...had my earmuffs around my neck as there was no shooting...settled in..mounted a target..pushed it out to about 10 yards or so and loaded up...squeezed off the first 44 in my 4 5/8" SBH with no ear muffs on..next to the wall....low ceiling..I can still sort of feel the pain..absolutely could not hear for about 20 minutes...ringing and pain...packed up and went home...check, check and recheck.

dagger dog
07-11-2014, 11:25 AM
I'm all for empty chamber flags, and totally support their use.

I also am a NRA Certified Range Officer and donate my time at our local range when they hold matches. I've been RO at Regional Bulls Eye Matches & Regional Small Bore Matches. I always walk the line making sure all have their flags in and making sure the line is safe before info is given to the person running the match so shooters can go down range.

There have been times "not often" where I need to remind a shooter to insert their ECI, once in a great while I need to inform the same shooter a second time. NEVER EVER have I even suggested for a shooter to be removed from the line, no one is perfect, all of us make errors, some even make the same error more than once.

I also should add I have never experienced any of the acts given in these posts at any of the matches I have been RO at, most everyone are experienced competitors.

BTW these are matches that may have as many as 70 or more shooters at the line at any one time.

Next week the NRA is holding the National Standard Small Bore Matches here and the following week they are holding the National Metric Small Bore Matches here. Our range consists of 100 lanes.

Like I said the first infraction is a warning that you need to brush up on your safety next is more than a warning.

Hey, as a non club shooter I have only few places I can shoot and be assured that the rules regarding fire arm safety are insured.

I've had my fill of DNR self governed ranges and will only shoot them occasionally.

dagger dog
07-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Like I said the first infraction is a warning that you need to brush up on your safety next is more than

I've had my fill of DNR self governed ranges and will only shoot them occasionally.

A man and his terms. !

jcwit
07-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Like I said the first infraction is a warning that you need to brush up on your safety next is more than a warning.

Hey, as a non club shooter I have only few places I can shoot and be assured that the rules regarding fire arm safety are insured.

And like I said, we all make mistakes, bet you also did the last couple of times you drove, and that is with a deadly instrument also, but we all take those errors in stride. Odd isn't it, 33,561 deaths in the year 2012, and how many are alcohol related, and we accept that.

To be expelled from a range for a minor infraction when no one is down range???????????????????????
Failure to place a ECI in????????????????????????????
Second time???????????????????????

Joe504
07-11-2014, 12:12 PM
A little different, but it's all I have.

In the army, at Ft Hood. We were convoy training in preparation for a tour in Iraq. Back seat, passenger side is our SAW gunner. We're using miles gear and blanks. We get into an ambush, and we all start shooting, the saw firing good 3 to 5 round bursts. My buddy in the front right is banging away and screaming like an idiot. We all thought he was really into it, really being aggressive. When the firing stops, he jumps out, still screaming and un tucks his bdu top. Out falls about 20 .223 cases.

The hot brass from the saw was going right down the back of shirt. He had a bunch a small burns down his back.

Good times.

500MAG
07-11-2014, 01:39 PM
I only wish I could witness something like this at the range but I'd probably pee my self laughing so hard. Next he plans to practice his conceal carry.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr2Pr3sMY44

35isit
07-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Saw a man with a rifle rested on bags watch his son through the scope walk down range to post targets.

brtelec
07-11-2014, 02:42 PM
That's kind of creepy

CWME
07-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Doing my yearly qualifying and the guy next to me is shooting everything except his target. Literally shot the hanger for his target. Some of his rounds were on my target and some on the target for the guy on his left. Not on purpose mind you. Halfway through our qualifying he started his draw and discharged a round next to his foot. I asked to move after that.

Few years ago was shooting one of my AR-15s. We have an old guy that likes to collect brass. I think he resells it to supliment his income. Anyway he is supposed to be a RSO, wears the red hat etc. I was zoned into my scope working on my groups. Saw some movement, looked up and he is in front of the firing line picking up brass. He was at the other end of the row but still...

Had other RSO's want to check for my ID which is fine and part of being in a club. Only issue is a live range, rounds going off, No hearing protection.

The best one's are the RSO's that will sit in their car and honk their horn while your shooting to get your attention. They get all pissy when I finally realize what the noise is and turn around to see them holding up their ID and pointing to it wanting to see mine(while still in their car).

Oh last one from 5-6 years ago, shooting my F-Class 6BR with heavy 30" tube sitting on a front rest and a rear bag at 100 yards for load development. 25X scope with a 25X spotting scope that my Dad was using to see how I was doing. Had some guys on the 50 yard range next door with some AKs i think. They banged off a few mags quick and left. They must have skipped some rounds or something because a few minutes later a RSO shows up and lectures me about keeping my impact below the midpoint of the berm etc etc. Kept my mouth shut because I thought it was funny that he didn't put two and two together that a precision rifle was sitting there. Guess I could have showed him my target through the spotting scope.

jcwit
07-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Saw a man with a rifle rested on bags watch his son through the scope walk down range to post targets.

Was the bolt open, OCI in place and not touching the rifle in any way?

What's the problem?

Deliverator
07-11-2014, 05:17 PM

What's the problem?

In order to watch someone through your scope, that is attached to your rifle, you have to be pointing the rifle at them. Which means you are now muzzle sweeping your son. Great role model.

jcwit
07-11-2014, 05:51 PM
In order to watch someone through your scope, that is attached to your rifle, you have to be pointing the rifle at them. Which means you are now muzzle sweeping your son. Great role model.

and if the bolt is removed, or the bolt is open with a empty chamber indicator in place and you are not touching the rifle in any way I still fail to see the problem.

During small Bore matches folks open their bolts, insert ECI in place, and no one is allowed to touch their rifles yet everyone is in front of the muzzles changing targets and some get back before other others, so some are at the line some are still down range. This is also how it is at bench rest matches.

Now, What is the problem?

jcwit
07-11-2014, 05:55 PM
You are worried about muzzle sweeping someone with only a barreled action and no bolt????????????????????????

BruceB
07-11-2014, 06:03 PM
I've run a lot of matches too, and one of the basic rules, AFTER the firearms on the line are proved safe, is:

STAND BACK FROM THE LINE!

People downrange can NOT see what those folks back at the firing line are doing, and someone sitting at a bench peering through a rifle's scope is is in SHOOTING POSITION.

As a shooter downrange, OR as a Range Officer, I for one would not tolerate this activity.

The firing line must not only BE safe, it must also be SEEN to be safe..... and that means that no one approaches the line for any reason until all persons are safely back behind the firing point.

country gent
07-11-2014, 06:07 PM
One of my pet peeves is the RO that on seeing a infraction OBI out and laying there, saftey off, magazine in a rifle. rectifies it while people are down range. Hes handling the firearm under the pretenses of saftey when in reality its the safest when not being touched by anyone. I have seen it at local matches with out operating pits. Another thing to keep in mind at alot of high power matches half your day is under the targets while they are being shot at. Called pit duty. Ive spent alot of time at Perry, washenaw and other reanges pulling targets.

jcwit
07-11-2014, 06:28 PM
I've run a lot of matches too, and one of the basic rules, AFTER the firearms on the line are proved safe, is:

STAND BACK FROM THE LINE!

People downrange can NOT see what those folks back at the firing line are doing, and someone sitting at a bench peering through a rifle's scope is is in SHOOTING POSITION.

As a shooter downrange, OR as a Range Officer, I for one would not tolerate this activity.

The firing line must not only BE safe, it must also be SEEN to be safe..... and that means that no one approaches the line for any reason until all persons are safely back behind the firing point.

Not the way I've seen NRA sanctioned matches run.

I shall take note Monday, July 14, and note how the NRA themselves handle it, will not trust my memory from years past.

The Bulls Eye matches which are NRA sanctioned "not run by" the shooters are told to remove magazines, place ECI in, and place guns on the bench. No stepping away is required.

BruceB
07-11-2014, 06:49 PM
I don't know under whose "rules" you operate matches, but it took me all of thirty seconds to find the following with a Google search:

"NRA Operational Range Rules:

14. When the line is declared "CLEAR"

2. Everyone must step back from the line.

3. No firearm may be handled while the line is clear."

It seems that your match operations have not been following the NRA regulations.

R.M.
07-11-2014, 06:52 PM
I've seen it both ways.
Every range I've shot at in Canada, and that's many, uses the back away from the bench until the RO says otherwise.

country gent
07-11-2014, 06:53 PM
The command line I heard for years was bolts open flags in place magazines out step back from the line. Standing at the back edge of you mat was fine and allowed Line officers to verify flags were in and bolts open

jcwit
07-11-2014, 06:55 PM
I don't know under whose "rules" you operate matches, but it took me all of thirty seconds to find the following with a Google search:

"NRA Operational Range Rules:

14. When the line is declared "CLEAR"

2. Everyone must step back from the line.

3. No firearm may be handled while the line is clear."

It seems that your match operations have not been following the NRA regulations.

Got a link?

I did find that regarding small bore, however the rules were updated as of this year.

How bout all the other disciplines?

jcwit
07-11-2014, 06:57 PM
BruceB, ever compete at any of the matches ran by Haven Williams?

gsdelong
07-11-2014, 07:02 PM
"I would like to have an argument"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=RW3AU_OiB4qcyATJxYCABg&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DkQFKtI6gn9Y&cd=1&ved=0CBwQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNGex1thk9R1_inTMeB_7y5Xgw_UGw

obssd1958
07-11-2014, 08:40 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^ I was thinking the same thing................

Deliverator
07-11-2014, 08:52 PM
and if the bolt is removed, or the bolt is open with a empty chamber indicator in place and you are not touching the rifle in any way I still fail to see the problem.

During small Bore matches folks open their bolts, insert ECI in place, and no one is allowed to touch their rifles yet everyone is in front of the muzzles changing targets and some get back before other others, so some are at the line some are still down range. This is also how it is at bench rest matches.

Now, What is the problem?

The problem with this is that the rifle is being handled while someone is down range, and in this particular instance the rifle is being aimed AT a person downrange. I don't care if all you have is a barreled action, if your hands are on it and someone is downrange you are doing something very very wrong.

willie_pete
07-11-2014, 09:16 PM
I am an NRA Chief Range Safety Officer. Any match I am RO'ing people are back from the guns. I teach RO's the same thing.

WP

jcwit
07-11-2014, 09:19 PM
The problem with this is that the rifle is being handled while someone is down range, and in this particular instance the rifle is being aimed AT a person downrange. I don't care if all you have is a barreled action, if your hands are on it and someone is downrange you are doing something very very wrong.

Reread my 1st sentence again. Does it not state
you are not touching the rifle in any way .

jcwit
07-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Its not hard to look thru a scope without touching the arm, is it not?

jcwit
07-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Regarding safety rules in Bulls Eye Matches here are the rules, these are the ones I am most familiar with. It says nothing about any of the shooters/competitors back from the firing line. See page 23 of the link.

http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Pistol/pistol-book.pdf

shooterg
07-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Looks like most private ranges are run much tighter than the public(public ranges all scare me). During rifle matches , of course, we require ECI's, and recommend their use during open shooting. We have RSO's but not enough for full time coverage, so members are required to attend a Range Orientation and test before receiving a keycard. During matches the rifles are made safe- bolts back, safeties engaged, mags removed, ECI inserted, grounded on mat or stool. We do allow the shooter to stay on the line (at least one RSO stays to monitor during walk and paste. But we only have 16 firing points - if we had 50, we'd need more RSO's or we'd move 'em all back as done by many here.) The NRA rulebook actually allows adjusting sights, sling on the ready line. We do not allow that except on the firing line. Don't want anyone touching the firearms in any way with personnel downrange.
Everyday open shooting , I've always told the folks at orientation to walk by every firearm and visually ascertain for themselves they're all safe before walking downrange. Don't trust anybody !

Only injury in 63 years- a local city police commander shot himself in the calf !

a.squibload
07-12-2014, 01:07 AM
Our range is less formal but we have rules. Any member present must be able/willing
to be a RO. ECI not required, when range is cold rifles open and racked, handguns open.
Everyone is to stand away from the tables/firing line, no gun handling until range is hot.

Reaper
07-12-2014, 02:41 AM
I'm an R.O. No one is allowed to touch, handle or uncase a firearm, load a magazine or touch anything on the firing line when the range is cold. No exceptions. No excuses.

jcwit
07-12-2014, 08:20 AM
I'm an R.O. No one is allowed to touch, handle or uncase a firearm, load a magazine or touch anything on the firing line when the range is cold. No exceptions. No excuses.

I agree, but what is wrong with looking thru the scope.

Much of this is covered by the SOP of the range you are at. These rules differ from range to range.

GoodOlBoy
07-12-2014, 08:58 AM
If you are talking about a spotting scope not a thing. If you are talking about a scope on a rifle? Everything. At the range we use to go to during a cease fire you couldn't be within five feet of the benches. Even with that we had a bugger who tossed a sandbag onto the bench, hit a loaded rifle (it was supposed "unloaded" per rules) and discharged it causing a mass ground hugging match by those of use hanging targets. I packed up and went home where I promptly changed my drawers and sat down to enjoy a few episodes of American Pickers...... I understand the guy was banned for life from the range. i wouldn't know, it was the last time I was at that range.

GoodOlBoy

35isit
07-12-2014, 09:49 AM

What's the problem?

I was down range also with my son!!! I wouldn't stand for you, my wife, my best friend or any other person on earth to sit behind a rifle looking through the scope. With or without a oci, a bolt in it or me knowing it was unloaded.

Mik
07-12-2014, 09:59 AM
I see jcwits point, the rifle was probably in a rest and already pointed at the target when the guy leaned over to peek through the scope. If he doesn't touch anything, he doesn't make the situation any more dangerous, the gun was already pointing at the target.

That being said, it just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. "Unloaded" guns have a bad habit of being loaded, and fingers have a way of finding their way inside the trigger guard.

What is the need to be so close to a rifle you aren't going to fire? You are better off to stay away from the shooting table because things happen.

jcwit
07-12-2014, 10:04 AM
I was down range also with my son!!! I wouldn't stand for you, my wife, my best friend or any other person on earth to sit behind a rifle looking through the scope. With or without a oci, a bolt in it or me knowing it was unloaded.

That Sir is your prerogative.

We seem to be getting to the point where sweeping someone with a 2 foot piece of 1/2 inch black pipe is uncalled for.

jcwit
07-12-2014, 10:08 AM
If you are talking about a spotting scope not a thing. If you are talking about a scope on a rifle? Everything. At the range we use to go to during a cease fire you couldn't be within five feet of the benches. Even with that we had a bugger who tossed a sandbag onto the bench, hit a loaded rifle (it was supposed "unloaded" per rules) and discharged it causing a mass ground hugging match by those of use hanging targets. I packed up and went home where I promptly changed my drawers and sat down to enjoy a few episodes of American Pickers...... I understand the guy was banned for life from the range. i wouldn't know, it was the last time I was at that range.

GoodOlBoy

That likely is your ranges SOP.

Please read the link I posted in post #123.

jcwit
07-12-2014, 10:09 AM
I see jcwits point, the rifle was probably in a rest and already pointed at the target when the guy leaned over to peek through the scope. If he doesn't touch anything, he doesn't make the situation any more dangerous, the gun was already pointing at the target.

That being said, it just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. "Unloaded" guns have a bad habit of being loaded, and fingers have a way of finding their way inside the trigger guard.

What is the need to be so close to a rifle you aren't going to fire? You are better off to stay away from the shooting table because things happen.

Exactly!

Moonie
07-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Once when I was at a public range we had called a cease fire to check targets. There were 4 of us there, me, a friend, and another man and his 10 year old son. The three adults went to check targets and put up new. while we were at the end of the 100 yard range we all heard a 22 rifle fire. We turned to see the 10 year old with a rifle in his hand pointing down range. No one was hurt but all it took was a look from me and my friend to the young mans father. He packed up and left, yelling at the young man the entire time. That is one butt chewing he will NEVER forget.

I've not been down range and left children at the bench since.

marvelshooter
07-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Regarding safety rules in Bulls Eye Matches here are the rules, these are the ones I am most familiar with. It says nothing about any of the shooters/competitors back from the firing line. See page 23 of the link.

http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Pistol/pistol-book.pdf
I don't know about what the rule book says but I have shot a lot of Bullseye matches and and nobody is allowed near the benches when anybody is forward of the firing line. There is usually a painted line behind the firing line that everyone not down range has to stay behind and most of the time there is a range officer making sure.

btroj
07-12-2014, 11:25 AM
I persoanlly prefer that people not be that close to a firearm when I am downrange. When I'm down range and a guy is looking thru a rifle scope it does bother me. Chances are if he is looking thru the scope he is sitting behind the rifle. How do I know he isn't about to fire?

I don't tend to trust others at the range unless I really know them. Look at the stories posted here and you can see why.

plmitch
07-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Some hard to believe stories here.

fatelk
07-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Some hard to believe stories here.

How dare you?!? It's the internet; You can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true. It's a law or something, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc

Gunslinger1911
07-12-2014, 12:04 PM
All guns are always loaded!
Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!
Always be sure of your target!

Um, rule 2 kind of settles the discussion of looking down the scope I would say.

TXGunNut
07-12-2014, 12:37 PM
I agree with Love Life, a tongue lashing informing him how disrespectful and stupid he was is in order.

Taking it to the level of beating on him is uncalled for. Your right with your fist ends at the tip of my nose, and his also.

Having legs or not having legs has nothing to do with it.

True, do what it takes to make the situation safe (including leaving) but a beating is never called for, IMHO.

willie_pete
07-12-2014, 04:37 PM

Um, rule 2 kind of settles the discussion of looking down the scope I would say.

You've said everything that needs to be said. Cooper covered it all in the 4 Rules.

wP

jcwit
07-12-2014, 05:25 PM

So just how do you handle a firearm at a gun store or better yet at a gun show?

Please explain in detail.

jcwit
07-12-2014, 05:28 PM
I don't know about what the rule book says but I have shot a lot of Bullseye matches and and nobody is allowed near the benches when anybody is forward of the firing line. There is usually a painted line behind the firing line that everyone not down range has to stay behind and most of the time there is a range officer making sure.

If you would read page 23 of the link I provided you would know what the rule book says.

There is usually a painted line behind the firing line

Not at our range.

TXGunNut
07-12-2014, 06:27 PM
When I'm downrange I don't want anyone handling or even within an arm's lenth of a firearm and I won't handle or approach a firearm while someone is downrange. It's not just safety, it's courtesy. At our club the shooters on the rifle range may handle rifles with bolts removed during a cold range, they run matches that way but I don't like it.

Back on topic I used to help out on a firend's public range and did a fair bit of RO'ing. One day a man approached the rifle range with a Browning (?) bolt action rifle with the bolt closed. I asked him to open the bolt, he ignored me and tried to walk around me. I told again him to stop and open the bolt, a bit louder and firmer this time. I could tell he was nervous, he again ignored me, turned away and began fiddling with the rifle. Range was hot and several shooters were on the range. I hurried over to him and he was furiously fumbling around with the rifle and as I reached him it went off, luckily it was pointed at the ground. I took the rifle from him, opened the bolt, put it in the rack and called a cease fire for the range. One shooter was slightly injured by a bullet fragment or a flying rock but it didn't even break the skin. Turns out it was a brand new gun, brand new shooter, and he had loaded the gun at home but couldn't figure out how to unload it. After getting things settled down and the range hot again the guy was actually quite disappointed when I told him he wouldn't be shooting that day.

willie_pete
07-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Not at our range.

There should be.

WP

willie_pete
07-12-2014, 06:39 PM

Don't point it at anybody and keep your finger off the trigger.

WP

jcwit
07-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Don't point it at anybody and keep your finger off the trigger.

WP

The gun shows you go to must not be very well attended. LOL

jcwit
07-12-2014, 07:14 PM
There should be.

WP

Well whether there should be or not, the NRA is holding their National Small Bore Matches here starting Monday the 14th.

And I find nowhere in the rules a mention of this painted line.

willie_pete
07-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Well whether there should be or not, the NRA is holding their National Small Bore Matches here starting Monday the 14th.

And I find nowhere in the rules a mention of this painted line.

i'm not one of those people that hold that the NRA is the know all, end all when it comes to gun safety.

wP

dtknowles
07-12-2014, 07:36 PM

I usually keep it pointed at the ceiling or high up a far wall. Lately at the gunshows all guns have a tyewrap disabling function. The owners will remove it for serious buyers. I certainly don't point it at anyone until it is going back on the table. What is your point? I think you are being a little too argumentative.

Tim

jcwit
07-12-2014, 08:04 PM
I usually keep it pointed at the ceiling or high up a far wall. Lately at the gunshows all guns have a tyewrap disabling function. The owners will remove it for serious buyers. I certainly don't point it at anyone until it is going back on the table. What is your point? I think you are being a little too argumentative.

Tim

The point all these people that claim Never, Ever, Never touch a gun at anyone and make such a huge thing about it, then claim they go to a gun show where most likely all the guns are laying on tables with the muzzles pointed at the folks across the way and upon touching and picking said firearm up are immediately breaking their own rules.

This whole discussion started over someone looking down range thru a scope while others were down range. Nothing was stated about the person whether or not any part of the firearm was being touched at all, just that he was looking thru the scope. What in Gods name is dangerous about that?

And whether you think I am being a little to argumentative or not is of no concern to me.

Putting a zip tie on a firearm makes it totally safe?????????????????????????????????????????

jcwit
07-12-2014, 08:04 PM
i'm not one of those people that hold that the NRA is the know all, end all when it comes to gun safety.

wP

But you are??????????????????????????????

500MAG
07-12-2014, 08:12 PM
The point all these people that claim Never, Ever, Never touch a gun at anyone and make such a huge thing about it, then claim they go to a gun show where most likely all the guns are laying on tables with the muzzles pointed at the folks across the way and upon touching and picking said firearm up are immediately breaking their own rules.

This whole discussion started over someone looking down range thru a scope while others were down range. Nothing was stated about the person whether or not any part of the firearm was being touched at all, just that he was looking thru the scope. What in Gods name is dangerous about that?

And whether you think I am being a little to argumentative or not is of no concern to me.

Putting a zip tie on a firearm makes it totally safe?????????????????????????????????????????
The problem is that everybody needs to be treated equal at a public range. The RO doesn't know if he is dealing with a proficient shooter or some dumb*** that just snuck his daddy's firearm from his drawer. The fact is, accidents happen that's why they are called accidents. I wouldn't want anyone picking up a firearm pointed down a range while I'm adjusting a target. When the RO is dealing with a line of 30 shooters the best thing is to have a clear line. When someone goes to look through a scope the RO doesn't know their intentions.

shooterg
07-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Them painted lines don't last long on dirt and grass.

cbrick
07-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Getting back to the OP's question . . . Dumbest thing ever? At the public range, 50 BMG bolt rifle, hand loads. Bolt will not close all the way on the first round but no problem . . . This here hammer will get it closed. Rifle destroyed! Hand destroyed! Hammer is fine!

Rick

jcwit
07-12-2014, 08:53 PM
YUP! That was dumb.

waksupi
07-13-2014, 01:16 AM
I got on a new guy at our monthly shoot today. He had one of the very low end muzzle loaders, so that was a clue right away. To hear him talk, he had been shooting ML's for years. At the very first target, I took my shot, and turned around to find him with a primed rifle pointed behind us, which he proceeded to turn back towards the range, covering everybody down the firing line. I explained to him in not very nice terms when to prime a rifle on our range, and in which direction it was, and was NOT to point. I never have to worry about our old timers, I've never shot with a safer bunch of people.

dtknowles
07-13-2014, 11:01 AM
.................This whole discussion started over someone looking down range thru a scope while others were down range. Nothing was stated about the person whether or not any part of the firearm was being touched at all, just that he was looking thru the scope. What in Gods name is dangerous about that?

Would have to have been there in the situation of the OP to know but if I was in the adjacent lane and saw this guy at the bench looking thru the scope with the rifle pointed down range I would have had a talk to him. I am sure the first thing he would say is "but it is unloaded" I bet, I know I was not there but I bet he had the gun shouldered, most scoped rifles you can't see thru the scope unless you do, bet also he was seated at the bench. Probably for all intents and purposes looked like he was about to touch one off, again, was not there can't be sure.

Yea, a gun with a zip tie is still a pretty good club. The point is decrease the likelihood of accidents without a burden on our freedoms. You have to balance one persons freedom against another, one shooters freedom to go down range without fear of getting shot vs. another persons desire to watch his son change the target. I know where this balance falls for me. I have been down range and had guns pointed in my direction even when the rules were "and step behind the red line" RSO was asleep at his post.

See what you have done, you got me being argumentative ;-) My argumentative statement must have been some concern to you as you decided to comment on it.

Tim

jcwit
07-13-2014, 11:40 AM
I bet you've lost a lot of bets as have all of use, I bet. LOL

Our range has no painted line, red or otherwise.

If your range SOP requires this than so be it, and apply the rule. SOP's vary from range to range.

dtknowles
07-13-2014, 01:43 PM
I bet you've lost a lot of bets as have all of use, I bet. LOL

Our range has no painted line, red or otherwise.

If your range SOP requires this than so be it, and apply the rule. SOP's vary from range to range.

I agree. I have shot places were there is no line and no benches or it is bring your own bench so we just work it out so everyone can feel comfortable.

As far as losing bets, not so much but then not many people seem to want to wager :-)

Tim

dsbock
07-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Not crazy, just funny.

I'm at the range one day and this guy pulls up in a brand new Mercedes. He unloads a bunch of stuff onto a couple of benches. Out of one case he pulls a very high end spotting scope tripod. Out of another a Swarovski spotting scope. Out of yet another a complex bench rest rifle setup. Then a few boxes of match grade .308. By this time he has the attention of everone else at the range, wondering what's going to appear next. Finally, he puts his rifle case on the bench, theatrically flips open the latches, pauses for dramatic effect, and opens the lid. Revealing an empty case.

In the disappointed silence that followed, he packed everything up and left without a word. I still wonder what extremely expensive rifle I missed seeing that day.

David

doc1876
07-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Gun shops, that reminds me of another one, 'bout a year ago, my nephew took me to a gunshop in the big city (St.L.) while there , a guy walks out with his brand new purchase.........no big deal right? Well about 3 minuets later, he comes back in, claiming the "gun won't work." The counter guy takes the gun, and promptly shoots a hole in the floor!! Decided to leave after my hearing came back.
of course I did mention the guy, that all guns are loaded......".well he just bought it!" I stated, "it left your sight, what did you think was going to happen?"

Motor
07-13-2014, 02:18 PM
We don't have ROs at our public ranges. At least I have not been to one that does. One of the crazyest things I've seen is the guy standing 25 yards to the right of his buddies target so he could check it after each shot to see where the bullet hole was. I'm pretty sure he had a beer in his hand too.

We just waited until they left before we got started.

Another time a guy showed up with a bunch of people, 4 or 5, some of them women. After a "range cold" time out we did a range check and went back hot. This guy loaded a handgun and set it on the bench very near the end of the "cold time out" but aparently was not aware we went hot and verbely attacked me and my son when we fired. He informs me he was not aware the range was hot. I told him he had a loaded handgun on the line so the range must have been hot. He didn't know what to say, then accused us of having our rifle loaded during the cease fire which of course was not true.

Motor

dragon813gt
07-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Junker car, but still able to run, towed onto range and started up. 50 Beowulf rounds fired at it until it ceased to run. Well actually a lot more shots were fired after it ceased to run. I shot out one of the windows but was at the pistol range when they disabled the engine. I just didn't want to be near that one. Car was towed away at the end of the day and range cleaned up if you hadn't been there you would never know it had happened.

Oh the horror of that story. I can only imagine what range officers would make of it. People standing beyond an imaginary line and firing at a running vehicle.

Bullshop
07-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Sounds like training for LAPD

willie_pete
07-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Range I used to belong to in Ohio has machine gun shoots. here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzMe1t8fNvA

Pretty crazy stuff.

WP

tygar
07-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Ok, this is really embarrassing being a Marine but in Vietnam, we had just got M16s & were going to FAM fire them when Major Ebbitt(will always remember him) was going to go. He was handed the rifle & was fumbling around & couldn't get it to fire when he turned around to ask the armorer what to do & as he turned the rifle went off on full auto & he lost control & it emptied the mag over the top of us standing behind him. Luckily he had it at a hi 45 degree so it went over our heads. There was a lot of brown stained utilities around him.

Really a nice guy but dumber than a sled track.

FISH4BUGS
07-14-2014, 07:39 AM
Range I used to belong to in Ohio has machine gun shoots. here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzMe1t8fNvA

Pretty crazy stuff.

WP
That is normal for a machine gun shoot. Crazy? Not at all.
If we are going to spend all that money on machine guns, and all that money on ammo, we are going to get the most from it. Tannerite is our friend!
But safety always rules everything.

willie_pete
07-14-2014, 09:58 AM
That is normal for a machine gun shoot. Crazy? Not at all.
If we are going to spend all that money on machine guns, and all that money on ammo, we are going to get the most from it. Tannerite is our friend!
But safety always rules everything.

Bowling ball cannon = crazy. :bigsmyl2: BTW that wasn't Tannerite.

WP

2ndAmendmentNut
07-14-2014, 11:08 AM
One time at the range I had the place to myself and was practicing with my CC piece. With my ear plugs in I hear some "heavy bass" music blaring and turn around to see a low rider Cadillac pulling up to the handgun range with me. I think to myself this must be another group of wannabe gang bangers. To my surprise a mid 40s early 50s woman gets out and starts gearing up with a full size 1911. She sets up a target with the 1911 locked and cocked in the small of her back. (Or range allows practicing with concealed carry guns so this wasn't a rule violation.) She walks away and about 7-10 yards from the target, stops wheels around, draws and empties her gun. She then launches off on a self abusive rant, yelling and screaming advice and pointing out how she always pulls to the right. I watched her empty 2 or 3 more mags in a similar manner. Each time while reloading she was yelling criticisms at herself. Her handling and marksman ship with the 1911 seemed reasonably good, but her vehicle and verbal ranting seemed very odd to me.

marvelshooter
07-14-2014, 11:42 AM
This won't win any awards or honorable mentions but here goes. Many years ago a petite elderly lady stepped up to the line with a 50 caliber Desert Eagle. She carefully gripped it with both hands, turned her head to the side, closed both eyes, made a grimace like she was expecting a gut punch and fired one shot. Then she put it away and left.

FISH4BUGS
07-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Bowling ball cannon = crazy. :bigsmyl2: BTW that wasn't Tannerite.

WP
....only because we can't get HE rounds for cannons!

Dale in Louisiana
07-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Not crazy, just funny.

I'm at the range one day and this guy pulls up in a brand new Mercedes. He unloads a bunch of stuff onto a couple of benches. Out of one case he pulls a very high end spotting scope tripod. Out of another a Swarovski spotting scope. Out of yet another a complex bench rest rifle setup. Then a few boxes of match grade .308. By this time he has the attention of everone else at the range, wondering what's going to appear next. Finally, he puts his rifle case on the bench, theatrically flips open the latches, pauses for dramatic effect, and opens the lid. Revealing an empty case.

In the disappointed silence that followed, he packed everything up and left without a word. I still wonder what extremely expensive rifle I missed seeing that day.

David

That isn't funny at all.

I've gotten to the range (A 45-minute drive) and discovered that while I brought the intended rifle, my M-1A, the ammo and accessory bag was the one for my M-1 Garand. You can't push the bolt handle hard enough to get that thing to chamber a .30-06 round.

Fortunately I bring several guns when I go to the range, so I did have something else to shoot.

dale in Louisiana

.429&H110
07-14-2014, 10:36 PM
Fairbanks has the cushman st public range. Fellow next to me was rocking a Uzi on the pistol range. It stopped, he turned it sideways and started whacking it. I was looking down the little hole. I backed up. Shoulda shot'em. Din't. Asked him the Alaskan "what's goin on"
"Jammed"
So I went over to the right side of him, kept on.
every time I go there is the craziest thing I have ever seen on the range
What is this RSO thing you speak of?
Is usually quite responsible, but sometimes, you need pictures

autofix4u
07-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Does this count.. 75 mm field gun. Lots of fun

autofix4u
07-14-2014, 10:55 PM
Or how about my 13 year old with a mini gun... she had the giggles all the way home.

Sweetpea
07-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Or how about my 13 year old with a mini gun... she had the giggles all the way home.

As would I...:bigsmyl2:

TXGunNut
07-14-2014, 11:06 PM
Her handling and marksman ship with the 1911 seemed reasonably good, but her vehicle and verbal ranting seemed very odd to me.-2ANut

Sounds like one of my old girlfriends. I don't teach them to shoot any more. ;-)

Remmy4477
07-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Years ago I was at a local range shooting a rolling block in 45-70 loaded with Black Powder. Having a fun time!

Well after about 30 or so minuets a Range officer came over to me and advised me to stop shooting and put the gun away. I was a little confused and asked him why?
His response: Son your ammo appears to have been loaded to hot, it should not smoke like that and you might get blown up!

Took me a while to explain to him about Black powder, it's supposed to smoke!

Shepherd2
07-15-2014, 07:35 AM
willie pete - There was a Dillon mini-gun at the Fort Harmar machine gun shoot this spring - Awesome!!!

willie_pete
07-15-2014, 08:22 AM
willie pete - There was a Dillon mini-gun at the Fort Harmar machine gun shoot this spring - Awesome!!!

I've since moved to FL to get out of the cold weather, but I sure do miss those shoots. I used to be one of the RO's and I got to shoot a lot of different rattle guns.

WP

dsbock
07-15-2014, 08:25 AM
That isn't funny at all.

I've gotten to the range (A 45-minute drive) and discovered that while I brought the intended rifle, my M-1A, the ammo and accessory bag was the one for my M-1 Garand. You can't push the bolt handle hard enough to get that thing to chamber a .30-06 round.

Fortunately I bring several guns when I go to the range, so I did have something else to shoot.

dale in Louisiana

Dale,

I once went to the range specifically to sight in a new scope on my 10/22. When I unpacked at the range, I had everything except the magazines. The 10/22 doesn't work very well as a single shot.

What was funny was the exaggerated production this guy went through laying out all his gear. He was playing for attention until the last case was opened.

David

David2011
07-15-2014, 07:44 PM
There were only two of us shooting at a range one afternoon. The other shooter appeared to be packing p so I asked if the range was cold. I walked to the target backstop and heard the distinctive sound of an AR-15 bolt being racked behind me. I turned toward it quickly to see what was going on and the other shooter was indeed racking the bolt while I was downrange. He said he was just making sure I was clear. I was pretty hot but managed to maintain my composure. I reminded him that a cold range meant not handling guns when the range was called cold. I got back to the firing line to let Captain Moron finish packing up. As he was packing up I thought I saw a shield on his belt under an untucked T-shirt. I asked if he was a law enforcement officer. He confirmed that he was. I asked were and he told me. Then he got a polite but firm dressing down because as a LEO he should know better. He had noting to say in return and left.

One hot afternoon I rolled up to the RIFLE range at the local gun club. It's a membership club but the dues are low and too many unqualified people have joined. Out in the dirt -in front- of the RIFLE range firing line was a group of people watching a young adult woman shoot her girlie colored pocket PISTOL while another of the group photographed her with a telephone. Probably her first time to shoot the gun. She fired a few rounds, took the gun away from eye level and with finger in the trigger guard and slide in battery (causing me to assume there was a round in the chamber), she turned a full 360 degrees pointing the gun at everyone on the rifle range. Not one of her group tried to stop her. I was a few feet away and felt at risk of being accidentally shot so tried to get her to put the gun down. Of course I was the bad guy for messing up her fun. Another member suggested that they get off the rifle range and go to the pistol range.

David

jcwit
07-15-2014, 08:09 PM
There were only two of us shooting at a range one afternoon. The other shooter appeared to be packing p so I asked if the range was cold. I walked to the target backstop and heard the distinctive sound of an AR-15 bolt being racked behind me. I turned toward it quickly to see what was going on and the other shooter was indeed racking the bolt while I was downrange. He said he was just making sure I was clear. I was pretty hot but managed to maintain my composure. I reminded him that a cold range meant not handling guns when the range was called cold. I got back to the firing line to let Captain Moron finish packing up. As he was packing up I thought I saw a shield on his belt under an untucked T-shirt. I asked if he was a law enforcement officer. He confirmed that he was. I asked were and he told me. Then he got a polite but firm dressing down because as a LEO he should know better. He had noting to say in return and left.

All depends on the SOP at the range you are at.

GrantA
07-15-2014, 08:34 PM
David my range is similar to yours, low dues so a wide range of members. I applaud you for keeping cool- if I hear/see MY weapons being racked/handled while I'm downrange it won't be pretty. I hear of this way too often, you just don't mess with other people's things without asking.

fatelk
07-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Craziest thing at the range lately? Me!

I feel like an idiot. I got a day off today, had some time to myself so I dug some old projects out of the safe that I hadn't laid eyes on in a very long time. I loaded everything up in the car and made the drive out to the range (one hour round trip). When I got there I couldn't find my gate key. Not only did I not get to shoot, but now have to contact someone to try and get a replacement. I grumbled all the way home. :(

attrapereves
07-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Missouri has awesome public ranges. If you are outside of KC and STL areas, they are free. The free ranges do not have ROs and are not staffed at all. I used to go to one near a university. Man were there some stupid people!

Here are some of my experiences:

1) Frat boys (about 5) showing up with an AK. They fired about three mags and left. I felt really unsafe having that many people at one bench.

2) College aged guy showed up with his girlfriend and a S&W 357mag with a 4-6" barrel. They shot a box of ammo, then left. Did I mention that neither of them had any hearing protection.

3) An older guy and his friend were fumbling with a new 1911. As I was walking to the car, I heard a shot go off and it hit the dumpster near my car (behind the firing range). These guys failed to unload the gun and also failed to keep it pointed down range.

4) Some rednecks showed up with a flat top AR. They fired it without any optics or sights.

5) This one is the worst: I got to the range early one morning and saw an old dilapidated car in the parking lot. The range and car were empty. I figured that someone had abandoned their car. After shooting for about 15 minutes, I saw a head pop up behind the rifle range. I stopped firing and yelled. The guy said they were picking up scrap lead. I told him that he needs to leave or he can stay, but I will continue firing regardless (we were on different ranges). I told him I was calling the department of conservation. This made him leave in a jiffy.

flyingmonkey35
08-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Got a new one today

Some one stuffed a dead squirrel in the sign post.

1johnlb
08-03-2014, 06:29 PM
I was on the range beside two men sighting in a new rifle [ I think a savage /06] . One older gent was shooting with the younger one spotting with a scope on a tripod. They were talking alot between themselves and you could tell some frustration was there. Didn't think a whole lot about it. Range went cold and was going to my target when I notice the ground with alot of bullet trences. Well didn't think alot about it again. Range went hot again, then back cold and while the RO was clearing the line I overheard them complaining that they couldn't get any good groups and it must be a bad scope because ever time they get it set it changes. they check mounts and everything they could think of. This time when I went to patch my target the ground is really cut-up. I checked out there target and they were hitting the target in shootgun pattern. Didn't have the guts to tell them they were making pretty good bankshots.

deltaenterprizes
08-03-2014, 10:05 PM

One hot afternoon I rolled up to the RIFLE range at the local gun club. It's a membership club but the dues are low and too many unqualified people have joined. Out in the dirt -in front- of the RIFLE range firing line was a group of people watching a young adult woman shoot her girlie colored pocket PISTOL while another of the group photographed her with a telephone. Probably her first time to shoot the gun. She fired a few rounds, took the gun away from eye level and with finger in the trigger guard and slide in battery (causing me to assume there was a round in the chamber), she turned a full 360 degrees pointing the gun at everyone on the rifle range. Not one of her group tried to stop her. I was a few feet away and felt at risk of being accidentally shot so tried to get her to put the gun down. Of course I was the bad guy for messing up her fun. Another member suggested that they get off the rifle range and go to the pistol range.

David
was that in Longview?

deltaenterprizes
08-03-2014, 10:09 PM
David my range is similar to yours, low dues so a wide range of members. I applaud you for keeping cool- if I hear/see MY weapons being racked/handled while I'm downrange it won't be pretty. I hear of this way too often, you just don't mess with other people's things without asking.
It happened to me , I was getting ready to draw on the guy while chewing his but, in Texas that could be considered "deadly conduct" and deadly force is justified!
He picked up and left.

Kevinakaq
08-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Last time I was at the public range near Ocala (and havent been back in almost a year since this event) there was a group of young men allowing a five year old or so girl to kneel ON the shooting bench while shooting an 22 AR-15 type. The bench is one long continuous platform about 18 inches deep by forty feet wide, which means she was in front of people firing and even with about twelve muzzles on the line - was crowded that day. I was with my niece (15) who is well versed in safety and was completly aghast. What is even more appalling was people on the line were continuing to fire. I truely couldn't believe what I was seeing and don't even know where to begin with the things wrong with that scenario. Would be a long list and never will forget the feeling of complete shock at seeing it. How could anyone with half a borrowed brain cell even think that was a good idea... I promptly packed up and left. This event was the nail in the coffin that convinced me to give up on that range which is a shame because I started going there over twenty years ago with my father.

deltaenterprizes
08-03-2014, 10:22 PM
The worst thing that happened was after explaining the course of fire to my friend, as I was getting ready to draw and start to shoot the course, the head of a kid about 10 yrs old popes up at the top of the backstop!
Grandpa brought an uncontrollable kid to the range next to me and how that kid got up there I never figured out.
Grandpa got chewed on, and a call to the range officer got more reprimanding.
i got a hand shake and thank you from the range officer.
Really shook me up.
not enough time to post the stupid behavior I have seen on ranges in 30
years of shooting.

deltaenterprizes
08-03-2014, 10:33 PM
You are joking, right?

I think he was threatening the mans life and limb intentionally with a firearm which could be perceived as aggravated assault or attempted murder, and use of force would be justified

Mumblypeg
08-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Gosh... I don't know what to say. Not much happens at the range I shoot at. If I forget a gun, I just turn around and step back in the house and get it. :-) Yea.... it's in my back yard. I have been to those public ranges though and that's why I don't go there anymore..... and I'm a pretty brave man.

deltaenterprizes
08-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Idiots with guns will get you killed. They know every thing

jcwit
08-03-2014, 11:39 PM
I think he was threatening the mans life and limb intentionally with a firearm which could be perceived as aggravated assault or attempted murder, and use of force would be justified

Good Grief, you had to go back just shy of a month and 10 pages of reply's to come up with that?

Things must really be slow down their in Texas.

jcwit
08-03-2014, 11:41 PM

Neither of us was there, neither of us know the complete circumstances.

MaryB
08-03-2014, 11:48 PM
More I read more I am glad I go to the range mid week and usually have it to myself! $35 a year dues with a locked gate you need the combination for. Weekends it is full usually with people on the trap range and all the weekend wanna be warriors show up according to one of the other members I met. He was over on the 300 yard range that day with a 338 lapua and let me fire 5 rounds. One of the Savage tactical versions. Nice rifle and very accurate. He had never tried one of their Axis low end rifles and it amazed him that it was sub moa out of the box.

I did see pistol parts scattered all over the covered concrete slab at the pistol range, slide was in 3 pieces, barrel was blown open, and the frame was cracked in half. Looked like it was one of the lower end plastic guns but I couldn't find a name on any of it. I was amazed there was no blood! Someone must have been majorly dumb with a reload is all I can think of, had a no powder load followed by a double charge maybe, there was a round jammed in the barrel remains

deltaenterprizes
08-03-2014, 11:52 PM
I just found the thread and was reading the posts, I do not take kindly to idiots with gun threatening the lives and safety of others, it is illegal and should be dealt with accordingly.
Idiots with guns give anti gunners ammo to call for more restrictions and outright bans on private possession of firearms, pun intended.

loaded303
08-04-2014, 01:26 AM
What a read. Wow!

jcwit
08-04-2014, 08:01 AM
I just found the thread and was reading the posts, I do not take kindly to idiots with gun threatening the lives and safety of others, it is illegal and should be dealt with accordingly.
Idiots with guns give anti gunners ammo to call for more restrictions and outright bans on private possession of firearms, pun intended.

And if you are unable to handle a problem such as described with the perp confined to a wheel chair you have a larger mental problem than the perp.

Makes one wonder if there isn't more than one idiot.

deltaenterprizes
08-04-2014, 08:26 AM
And if you are unable to handle a problem such as described with the perp confined to a wheel chair you have a larger mental problem than the perp.

I can handle a perp in a wheelchair with a gun the same as anybody else with a gun, he will determine the outcome , either leave on his own or he will be carried out, his choice,the wheelchair does not make him less of a deadly threat if he is armed and threatening life.
This would make a great training senario!

dragon813gt
08-04-2014, 09:05 AM
This thread is proof of some of the reasoning behind why the anti gunners want them to be banned. And it has nothing to do w/ threatening lives. It has to do w/ complete lack of situational awareness. The one about the little girl on the bench ahead of the firing line while others are still shooting is appalling. Lots of other stupid safety violations as well. Firearms are deadly tools and need to be treated as such. Not saying that they should be demonized. But a lot of respect is required when handling them.

DRNurse1
08-04-2014, 10:08 AM
This thread is proof of some of the reasoning behind why the anti gunners want them to be banned. And it has nothing to do w/ threatening lives. It has to do w/ complete lack of situational awareness. The one about the little girl on the bench ahead of the firing line while others are still shooting is appalling. Lots of other stupid safety violations as well. Firearms are deadly tools and need to be treated as such. Not saying that they should be demonized. But a lot of respect is required when handling them.

I teach Firearm Safety and familiarization to new and novice shooters. I use the fire analogy: with one missing of fuel, oxygen, heat, the fire cannot happen. So with a shooter and ammunition, ammunition and a gun, or a shooter and a gun only you cannot have an ND. Combine all three and fail to observe the safety rules is just like tossing gasoline on a burning trash pile--> you are GOING to get hurt, maybe dead.

So, Dragon813GT, respect and safety definitely need to be present when guns are around. I like the reference to situational awareness since folks often focus on the firearm and not the safety and folks around them.

deltaenterprizes
08-04-2014, 11:48 AM
I teach Firearm Safety and familiarization to new and novice shooters. I use the fire analogy: with one missing of fuel, oxygen, heat, the fire cannot happen. So with a shooter and ammunition, ammunition and a gun, or a shooter and a gun only you cannot have an ND. Combine all three and fail to observe the safety rules is just like tossing gasoline on a burning trash pile--> you are GOING to get hurt, maybe dead.

So, Dragon813GT, respect and safety definitely need to be present when guns are around. I like the reference to situational awareness since folks often focus on the firearm and not the safety and folks around them.
I like your analogy! I am going to steal it!

1johnlb
08-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Guns don't kill people bullets do !

jcwit
08-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Or possibly someone beating on a guy in a wheelchair. Disarm him and prosecute him.

country gent
08-04-2014, 08:58 PM
I always set up on the far left bench at our club as this allows me to keep track of the others there also. I dont always watch but on hearing a car door or something out of the orfinary will do a "once over" the line. I am one of the few that use an OBI in my rifles when line is down or cold. Since I shoot mostly single shots it makes it easy to see the chamber is empty with out alot of handling or people with no idea checking my rifles. Most have fancy walnut on them and I dont need a do gooder knocking them over. The club uses a flag that goes down with first shooter and last shooter brings it back. I dont know how many times I heard clear and seen the flag going in front of the line before others have a chance to reply or clear rifles and make safe. I am also mobility challenged and have a couple friends that run targets out for me. I normally slide the stool I use back 1 foot or so is all. I also dont touch the rifle or face it. I made a bunch of OBIs from String trimmer line 8" long with part of it a knot to form a ball to hold see. Its a bright green. None have been used yet from the holder. The high power leauge does use the NRA flags and we push for them to be used but most ignore them. I have modified one of mine to stay in on even the roller and drop blocks. Saftey is important but its not just your firearm that can harm you any clown on the lines firearm is a threat if not handled properly. Also not just the ones on the line the guy in the parking lot "showing off his new firearm to buddies is just as much a threat.

deltaenterprizes
08-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Or possibly someone beating on a guy in a wheelchair. Disarm him and prosecute him.
Yes I am walking up to him and asking nicely he willing give you his gun and leave with his head bowed in shame.
I will let you go first and call an ambulance and hope you make it in time and fully recover from your injuries.

Freeloader
08-04-2014, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE]sighting in "New" firearm w/scope at 100 yds ( two boxes of ammo gone before he asked for help/QUOTE]
I met this guy two weeks ago. I got him on target stand at 50. Left him alone from there.
I actually had a dude step forward of the line to go to his target while I was just about to squeeze off a round. He claims it was a cease fire but I and the RSO agreed the flag was out.

BruceB
08-04-2014, 09:54 PM
I always set up on the far left bench at our club as this allows me to keep track of the others there also.

I dont always watch but on hearing a car door or something out of the orfinary will do a "once over" the line. I am one of the few that use an OBI in my rifles when line is down or cold.
Since I shoot mostly single shots it makes it easy to see the chamber is empty with out alot of handling or people with no idea checking my rifles. Most have fancy walnut on them and I dont need a do gooder knocking them over.

The club uses a flag that goes down with first shooter and last shooter brings it back. I dont know how many times I heard clear and seen the flag going in front of the line before others have a chance to reply or clear rifles and make safe.

I am also mobility challenged and have a couple friends that run targets out for me. I normally slide the stool I use back 1 foot or so is all. I also dont touch the rifle or face it. I made a bunch of OBIs from String trimmer line 8" long with part of it a knot to form a ball to hold see. Its a bright green. None have been used yet from the holder.

The high power leauge does use the NRA flags and we push for them to be used but most ignore them. I have modified one of mine to stay in on even the roller and drop blocks.

Saftey is important but its not just your firearm that can harm you any clown on the lines firearm is a threat if not handled properly. Also not just the ones on the line the guy in the parking lot "showing off his new firearm to buddies is just as much a threat.

Paragraphs are our friends, ESPECIALLY for old buzzards like yours truly. Big, solid blocks of type are very difficult for me to read, and I usually just skip over them.

In this case, the post was worth the effort of reading it!

John in WYO
08-05-2014, 01:46 AM
Twice, two years in a row between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I found that someone had taken their dog to the range and put a bullet in its head, placed it in a box and left it there. First one was a Cocker Spaniel, second was a mixed breed, both about 30 pounds.
I hauled both away and buried them.
What the hell is someone thinking, that would do that?

Another time, a guy shows up at the range with a Winchester .30-30 that he had just bought for $75.00. Leaves his kids in the car while they hang out the window and yell at him. He can't get the gun to fire. I point out that he needs to hold the lever closed. He runs two magazines full through the gun, laughing maniacally after each round goes off, just firing into the berm. No target. I was glad he left.

jcwit
08-05-2014, 05:58 AM
Yes I am walking up to him and asking nicely he willing give you his gun and leave with his head bowed in shame.
I will let you go first and call an ambulance and hope you make it in time and fully recover from your injuries.

Now you're just getting rediclous. Use a little common sense even tho we know it's in short supply these days.

texaswoodworker
08-05-2014, 06:25 AM
I watched a guy wrap his hand around the frame of his S&W 29 at the flash gap and pull the trigger. That was interesting.

That had to hurt. 0_0

Hamish
08-05-2014, 07:03 AM

Doesn't it get old being rude and picking fights?

nekshot
08-05-2014, 07:43 AM
I been following this thread and being thankful for my own ability to shoot to 300 yards on my land but I do remeber when I first got into reloading being a member of a large private range back east my buddy shot a 5 shot groub and had about 8 or9 holes in it from someone else. Around 10 or 20 other fellas there shooting I always pulled my bolt when we walked to the targets.

deltaenterprizes
08-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Now you're just getting rediclous. Use a little common sense even tho we know it's in short supply these days.
Sir , I have been an LEO and and been doing firearms training for over 22 years, walking up to an unbalanced person with a firearm expecting him to play nice may be your last mistake.
the wheelchair does not do anything but limit his mobility, does not stop him from being insane or a criminal or wanting to commit suicide by cop. People that misuse firearms and endanger people are criminal and need dealt with and this usually means using force, and is completely justified.
i have personally dealt with a drug dealer with a van full of assault type weapons, don't let the wheelchair fool you, they may be playing on your sympathies and that will get you killed!
jcwit how much law enforcement experience do you have beside watching " COPS" on TV?

jcwit
08-05-2014, 09:48 AM
First, I do not waste my time watching Cops on TV.

Second, just being a cop with however many years experience does not make a good cop, or for that matter a good person. Believe and act as you wish, allow me to do the same, if you can.

Check out the thread in the pit about a cop being sued.

jcwit
08-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Doesn't it get old being rude and picking fights?

He's the one who brought up a month old reply from 10 pages back, so just who's "picking" on who?

jcwit
08-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Fellows, go back to post 9 and reread the post that started all this. The perp was causing ricochets, but it does not imply or say he was not shooting down range, nor does it claim he was any of the following.

"does not stop him from being insane or a criminal or wanting to commit suicide by cop." Your words.

Granted what he was doing was unsafe AT THIS RANGE, but if we are to beat on everyone who does unsafe acts, what have we allowed this country to become?

Heck I sit on my front porch and watch the bikers on their trail run thru the stop sign with no concern about cross traffic, mayhap I need to go there and beat on a few bikers to attempt to correct the dangerous situation. Bet that will work out well.

Oh Ya, there have been at least one or two bikers killed here for failing to stop for auto/truck traffic.

Uncle R.
08-05-2014, 10:31 AM
:popcorn:

jcwit
08-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Back to the thread at hand.

Crazist thing I have ever witnessed?

A number of years ago in the fall the farmer was harvesting his bean field behind out hill/backstop. Some members, 3 or 4, were set up shooting, to be "SAFE?????????????" one had sent his young boy, under teen years, to the top of the hill/backstop. When the farmer brought his combine in line to being behind the backstop, the kid would wave his arms and yell, when the combine cleared the kid would again call the hill clear. The kid stayed in full view at all times.

I said to them what they were doing was against range safety rules and totally unsafe, I was informed to mind my own business. I took their plate numbers down and turned them in to the club officers, never saw them again.

Not sure if my 60 year old, disabled body should have beat of the shooters or the boy without enough brains to not be downrange.

deltaenterprizes
08-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Many people are sued, not all win, anybody can sue for anything.
I said the use of force would be justified, there many levels of force, from strong verbal commands to deadly force.
An armed unstable person can go from compliant to deadly threat in the blink of an eye.
You are putting words in my mouth, that could be considered defamation.
Twenty years of my LE experience is in firearms training.

jcwit
08-05-2014, 02:47 PM
delta, I've already gotten a warning claiming I was baiting you.

I'll say this yet, hoping the mods understand.

From post #9

When I was about 18 I use to go to a small indoor range near my house. Let's just say this place would not pass today's safety requirements. Because of ricochet problems, they only allowed cast boolits and sold only wadcutters to shoot. It was just me and the guy in the next lane, who happened to be a paraplegic in his wheelchair. Suddenly, this guy pulls out his 357 and I don't know what he was shooting but they were ricocheting all over the place. I dove on the floor and he cracked up laughing.

From the next post #10

My post disputing that#12

You are joking, right?

Now then nowhere in post #9 does it say the gentleman in the wheelchair was NOT shooting down range. Just states the poster does not know WHAT he was shooting and that they were ricocheting all over.

Dangerous? Probably, but then I was not there.

Would I have yelled at him? Highly Likely.

Would I have punched him to break his jaw or give him a black eye? Highly Unlikely

There in lies our differences of opinion.

Now again had he been shooting at me or obviously not shooting down range, it's again a whole different ball game.

deltaenterprizes
08-05-2014, 03:31 PM
I did not say I would have used physical force unless he provoked it, that could be as simple as grabbing the gun from his hand, you escalated it in your words, not mine.
I gave you the definition of the use of force, you continue to twist it.
Just because someone is in a wheelchair does not mean that they can not stand and walk,
Intentionally causing a richochet in an indoor range is like playing Russian Roullette, no one knows where the bullet will land.
I will agree to disagree.

jcwit
08-05-2014, 03:34 PM
I did not say I would have used physical force unless he provoked it, that could be as simple as grabbing the gun from his hand, you escalated it in your words, not mine.
I gave you the definition of the use of force, you continue to twist it.
Just because someone is in a wheelchair does not mean that they can not stand and walk,
Intentionally causing a richochet in an indoor range is like playing Russian Roullette, no one knows where the bullet will land.
I will agree to disagree.

I'll say that is more than likely best for the both of us.

My real problem was with post #10, and it seemed as if you agreed with it.

Lets both just move along.

deltaenterprizes
08-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Your interpretation was wrong, I agreed something needed to be done to stop the action, again the perp's actions determine the level of force used, that is how I was taught, that is how I operate.

jcwit
08-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Whatever!

1johnlb
08-05-2014, 10:37 PM
:popcorn:

loaded303
08-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Seen a guy acting a nut and talking pure plain suicide. Put his last two rounds in the ground right in front of him. Slide locked open and I proceeded to physically relieve him of his weapon. He was not happy but at the time I did not care. After that I proceeded to verbally reprimand him for a good minute. Handed the gun after I ejected the empty mag to his frightened sober buddy. I left immediately. Only the three of us were there.

runfiverun
08-05-2014, 11:52 PM
you two need a time out???
dammit your, stop.

loaded303
08-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Lol!!!!!!

loaded303
08-06-2014, 12:58 AM
Ok...........

w0fms
08-06-2014, 10:54 AM
I've seen it the other way. There is an old guy at the club that will occasionally show up with no guns and insist everyone is overshooting the berms. Even explaining that we were not because you could see the impact with the berms and that we were both engineers (at the time) and understand Brewster angle.. didn't seem to help. I think he might be one of the "shotgun" guys who probably didn't like the fact the club expanded with a rifle range and a pistol range.. like 20 years ago...

This guy is scary because that is exactly what got a public range nearby severely restricted. No actual proof of overshot berms, but one guy kept harassing the county which then basically made the range a pay range and limited access and types of equipment that can be used. I suspect if it weren't for the fact the police train there I think it would be completely gone...

Luckily any other time I've seen something questionable it was a teachable moment and the exchange was civil and positive.. private clubs are great.. I'd just leave a public range...seriously, it's not worth the risk to confront someone there.

loaded303
08-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Mine wasn't a stranger. It was some body I've known for 30+

shooterg
08-07-2014, 03:04 PM
We have good ole electricity at our main Range now. Toggle switches near all shooters for the flashing red lights. Lights on during a cease fire, NO ONE touches, handles, moves even a cased firearm.
When not on all gun handling is on the firing line. No gun shows in the parking lot here.
The sound of an action being cycled behind you tends to tighten the ole spincter !

And I always go by every gun on the line before I walk downrange in front of 'em.

loaded303
08-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Nice place.

deltaenterprizes
08-08-2014, 03:57 PM
We have good ole electricity at our main Range now. Toggle switches near all shooters for the flashing red lights. Lights on during a cease fire, NO ONE touches, handles, moves even a cased firearm.
When not on all gun handling is on the firing line. No gun shows in the parking lot here.
The sound of an action being cycled behind you tends to tighten the ole spincter !

And I always go by every gun on the line before I walk downrange in front of 'em.

We have a system like that on the range back home, works well