PDA

View Full Version : RD promising in H&R

Lead melter
01-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Just got back from the range and figured I'd drop a line about the possible success with a Ranch Dog boolit in an H&R Handi-Rifle. Cold day, temperature 29 degrees, wind gusting. Loads fired in this sequence; load, aim, fire, check spotting scope, load again, and so forth. No letting barrel cool, as this was not necessary at this temp.

Cast a bunch of RCBS 45-405-FN and Ranch Dog 460-420-FN both with BHN 14.
Light Alox lube, seated Gator gas checks, sized RCBS at .458" and RD at .460" Dipped them in 1/2 vaseline 1/2 beeswax lube, and then sized again to remove excess.
Loaded 11 each over 16 grains Unique and Federal GM210M primers in Winchester brass.
Cleaned the old H&R 45-70 sqeaky clean used Birchwood-Casey polishing cloth to remove all traces of lead. Then lightly oiled barrel.
First round of RCBS fired at nothing, just to foul the barrel. Next 10 fired at standard 4" target at 100 yards. 4 struck the paper, the other 10 keyholed all over the backing board. I have shot this boolit before, so I know it will shoot better. Only the lube is different.
Next fired the RD 420 grainer. First three shots settled in above the target descending toward the black circle. The next eight shots went into a nice 2" group. They also shot to same point of aim as my usual load of 27 grains AA-5744.
The rifle carries a 4X Weaver scope old enough to retire. This is the best group ever fired with this rifle and any cast boolits. "J-word" bullets shoot considerably better.
One group does not prove anything, but there may be something here. Have not yet scrubbed the barrel, but can see no leading as of yet. The Ranch Dog may have struck again.:)

JSnover
01-20-2008, 10:37 PM
That's encouraging! I finally had a good day with my Buff Classic this morning. Out of the box a few weeks ago it was throwing bullets about a foot to the right with max left windage at 50 yards.
I mounted a Malcom style scope and made a muzzle weight for the heck of it. This hobby wouldn't be near as much fun if I couldn't experiment.
Now the groups are settling into the black and measuring about 2" As I work the bugs out and exorcise all the Loose Screw Demons, I think it should do pretty well.
The load is Lyman 457124, WW, loaded as-cast (about 385 gr.) over 21 grains of SR 4759. Lubed with Emmert's, seated to engage the front band. Some lead flakes but they whipe out easy enough.

mroliver77
01-21-2008, 12:08 AM
I am just curious as th why you sized them diferent sizes. I dont know how old your handi rifle is but I looked down the barrel of a new one and was shoked. Very little rifling at all! Looks to me that fit and hardness would be a big concern in loading these. Keep us updated. J

Ranch Dog
01-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Lead melter...

Lube them Dogs with the Alox! It sounds like they are going to shoot good!

Shooter6br
01-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Great products Fast service common sense thinking. I use RD 350 in my Pedersoli 45-70 Rolling block. He should run for President!!!:Fire:

Lead melter
01-21-2008, 01:57 PM
mroliver77, I have a sizing disparity solely based on cast size. The RCBS mold drops at .458" with occasionally a .459" maximum. .458" sized to ensure uniformity. The RD mold drops .460"-.461" from my alloy. Once again to make it all uniform.

Ranch Dog, I hear you brother, and I know the Alox works. I'm just experimenting to keep the old noggin in shape. Besides, the beeswax smells a whole lot better than the Alox.

Shooter6br, now why would you want to take a nice guy like Michael and turn him into a low-life, dirty, son-of-a-b#%ch. Maybe NRA president, Ambassador to Sweden or maybe Lord High Boolit Guru would be OK.

Junior1942
01-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Both of my H&R 45-70 barrels like the Lee 405 least and the Lee 450 best.

shaggy357
01-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Wow, Success!! I just got an H&R BC in 45-70. I have an LBT 350gr mold on the way. I have talked with several folks who think the 405s shoot better. 2" at 100 is great, even if using that scope thing on it.

I hate to change the subject, but I would appreaciate emails or PMs with suggestions on loading this new to me rifle. I have never fired a 45-70, but I do have new RCBS dies, WW brass, WW3130 powder and a box of (gulp) Hornady jacketed bullets just to get started. When the LBT mold gets here, I will try that. I am looking for a heavier mold with wide meplate. All suggestions in getting this to shoot is appreciated. I have lots of powders and am not stuck on any one recipe.....

Steve :) shaggy357@aol.com