PDA

View Full Version : Problems with mossberg 500 trap shooting

silverado
07-06-2014, 06:19 PM
I have a problem with the trigger actuator on my 500. It pulls the trigger every time but it doesn't always break the birds. I tried using different kinds of oil and still have about a 50% hit rate. I think maybe I should call mossberg about this problem....

onceabull
07-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Maybeso Now you understand why Rudy E. favored a Rem.870.........eh ???? Onceabull

Ed Barrett
07-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Easy to see the problem. Defective clay pigeons. I have had the same problem for years.

fecmech
07-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Maybe a different "trigger actuator"? Could possibly be that the target acquisition computer needs a reboot or upgraded software.

BrassMagnet
07-06-2014, 07:54 PM
I have a problem with the trigger actuator on my 500. It pulls the trigger every time but it doesn't always break the birds. I tried using different kinds of oil and still have about a 50% hit rate. I think maybe I should call mossberg about this problem....

Your real problem is using just any oil and not the approved lubricant at the proper time and in the proper manner.

I shot in a trap league for a few years and my broken bird rate was higher than yours. I found a couple Oilcans of Foster's Bitters applied the night before worked well. It took that long to work it's way from my mouth to my trigger actuator and give it the proper snapping motion while sweeping the field.

Your results may vary.
I am somewhat handicapped and I prefer Super Handicap.
I have fallen into the trap and been disappointed with Double-A trap.

BrassMagnet
07-06-2014, 08:03 PM
My local Trap Club has a coaching technique sign in the little room.

It says "We Aim to Please, So please Aim!"

I don't get it. When I aim and squeeze my trigger actuator only breaks birds going straight away and not very often.

Some of the Ladies in my club wear pink t-shirts with "Shoot like a Girl!" embroidered on them. When I ask what the coaching sign in their little room says they just giggle and say "Stand closer! Pistol shooter!"

Don't we have to stand at the proper handicap line?

silverado
07-06-2014, 08:14 PM
My problem is trying to hit the birds too quickly. I find if I dont calm myself I end up shooting before I really have a good point at it. I can take my time and hit about 60 or 70%, but seeing guys hit the bird fast gets me all screwed up.

silverado
07-06-2014, 08:16 PM
I think I might junk this mossberg at the local recycling plant and pick up one of those $2000 scatterguns and see if I make any improvement [emoji6]

BrassMagnet
07-06-2014, 08:36 PM
I think I might junk this mossberg at the local recycling plant and pick up one of those $2000 scatterguns and see if I make any improvement [emoji6]

The bottom line will be greatly improved.

Just not you bottom line or handicap line.

williamwaco
07-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Perhaps you missed the lesson that clays are NOT hard to hit!

But they are VERY easy to miss.

silverado
07-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Perhaps you missed the lesson that clays are NOT hard to hit!

But they are VERY easy to miss.

True... I have realized it is a mental game, not at all like shooting a pistol quickly while moving, just because they are both guns doesn't mean that they are anything alike.

bosterr
07-06-2014, 09:18 PM
When I lay them on the ground 10 feet in front of me, I'll shoot a perfect score every time.

lefty o
07-06-2014, 10:16 PM
gun fit, gun fit, gun fit.. if the gun dont fit, its hard to hit. its not always the nut behind the stock (usually is, but not always). i dont care if its a $150 used pump gun, or a $20,000 silver seitz, if it doesnt fit you well, your going to shoot poor scores, no matter how good you really are. i'll use myself as an example, historically through the years, ive always carried a 23.5 average. this year due to injuries and arthritis, i can no longer shoot my good O/U, so i picked up this fancy beretta semi auto, instantly dropped my scores into the very low teens. its an excellent gun, but it fits for squat out of the box. im slowly turning it around, modifying the stock, and length of pull, ive gotten it back up to 20, but its still not hitting where im looking. find someone who can help fit your gun to you, and then maybe some good coaching.

doc1876
07-07-2014, 10:11 AM
I have a similar problem with my money. I just don't last. I talked to the bank about the warranty on their product, and they did not have anything to say. I am not sure now where to go about it either, so I feel your pain.

aspangler
07-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Most times it is the "Nut behind the butt". :redneck:

foesgth
07-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Ok guys,
Let's give the OP a real answer. If you have ever done much hunting you know that a deer won't alway fall right after you shoot. Some will run before falling. It is the same thing with clay birds. If you watch they will keep going after being hit. Follow the flight path and you will see that they break when hitting the ground. So, you aren't missing they just need to travel a bit before falling apart.