PDA

View Full Version : Bad bad day!

Freightman
01-20-2008, 05:05 PM
I picked up my Krag and just barely bumped it and the stock broke into at the wrist 45 degree angle from the tang to 3" back top to bottom. Disgusted so I took it apart and got out the Gorilla glue and clamps. Hope I can fix it, thought I would let set 48 hrs and then run some hardwood dwells through the bottom to Tye the two parts together.
Then I was in the shop so need to size some boolits got about 10 done when the handles tore the holes on the Lyman 45, threw up my hands, turned out the lights and shut up the shop.
Afraid to do anything else it might blow up or collapse.

MT Gianni
01-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Hang in there. I've had years like that too. Gianni

SwedeNelson
01-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Had a day like that.

Did the same thing to my Lyman 45 lube/sizer and ended
up with a .45 cal hole in the wall of my gun room - not a
good day.

You can get a new handle from Lyman that up grades it.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm
go down the page to:
"Replacement Parts 450 Handle Conversion Kit
$17.50"

Have a better day!
Swede Nelson

Char-Gar
01-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Hummm...I broke a Krag stock once. The year was 1960 and I was doing some fancy drill manuvers and ened up with the "Queen Ann Salute" with a Krag. I had been drinking and I forgot I was inside my front room.

PatMarlin
01-20-2008, 05:31 PM
That's every other week up here. Don't feel to bad or alone... :drinks:

correction- make that every other day... :rolleyes:

Lloyd Smale
01-20-2008, 06:20 PM
my broken stock story goes like this. We were at camp. Myself and my 3 kids. Well the older daughter that was about 12 at the time wanted to go hunting and i wasnt feeling up to walking so i told her to take a walk down the road behind camp. Only gun i had was a nice sidelock browning side by side 20 guage. Figured she would see a bird close to camp anyway. She took off and withing a couple minutes I heard a shot then a second. She came back with a bird and a stock broke right at the wrist. Seems she missed it the first time it flew a little ways and she hit it the second time but didnt kill it so she whacked the bird with my gun. Which was an 1200 dollar gun back in the early 70s! Cost me $500 bucks to have a new stock made for that gun!!

trooperdan
01-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Should'a given that kid a .22 revolver to go bird hunting with !

Swamprat1052
01-20-2008, 09:04 PM
My Mother told me I'd have days like that but she didn't tell me they came in bunches like bananas.

Hang in there, it could be worse.

Swamprat

DLCTEX
01-20-2008, 10:27 PM
When I was a kid I shot a jackrabbit with my last cartridge, and only wounded it. I gave it the Cous De Gras with a buttstroke. Yep! broke my little Mossburg. Dale

Bent Ramrod
01-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Easily 50% of the time and effort I spend on my projects involves repairs to the damage I do in the course of doing those same projects. If misery loves company, you got it! Hang in there:roll:.

44man
01-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Best fix for a stock is Accra glass but the go-rilla stuff should work. I don't use clamps. I wrap with a bunch of inner tube strips or surgical tubing. You won't see the crack if done right.
We all have days like that, that's why they made TV sets! :mrgreen:

Typecaster
01-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Some days I think everything I touch is going to turn brown and smell bad...even the computers.

blackthorn
01-21-2008, 12:31 PM
The impact you describe sounds as if it was VERY minimal, so MAYBE it was ready to fail and it is a good thing it let go when it did rather than when you fired it!!! I dont think Gorilla Glue works on fingers, wrists or cheek bones etc.

1Shirt
01-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Women have bad hair days, we have bad casting, loading, shooting etc. days! It all sort of works out somehow! Like Gable said "Tommrows another day Scarlet!"
1Shirt!

StrawHat
01-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Women have bad hair days, we have bad casting, loading, shooting etc. days!
1Shirt!

Great thought, especially since for some of us hair is only a memory.

threett1
01-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Yup, most days are like that.