PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes

wallenba
07-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Had an annual check-up 6 weeks ago. Blood work showed I have diabetes mellitus. New diet and exercise plus 1000 mg of Metformin at dinner have got my numbers real good in no time. Problem is, I think the Metformin is wreaking havoc in my gut.

Anybody else use this drug and experience problems? Doc says to hang with it, but it's keeping me house bound right now. Had to stay home on the fourth. Hope this is just temporary.:oops:

BrassMagnet
07-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Many people can control diabetes with diet alone. If you do not need insulin now, you may be able to control your diabetes with diet and without Metformin. It is worth some research and maybe a different doctor that does not favor Metformin.

dbosman
07-06-2014, 12:43 AM
wallenba, check this out.
http://www.med.umich.edu/diabetes/research/type2_studies.htm

As to Metformin, it is -the- tried and trusted med. Statistically it works better than any recent new drug, many of which have come and gone because of worse long term side affects. That doesn't mean it's perfect for you. Ask you physician if you can cut back or split the dose to half in the AM and half in the PM.
Current thinking for type 2 is to focus less on sugar and more on heart and circulatory health.

If your family suspects depression, please believe them and talk to your physician about that as well.

bangerjim
07-06-2014, 02:02 AM
Most take it with minimal side effects. If you are having stomach reactions, talk to your doctor, not a bunch of boolit casters!!!!!!!

Good luck.

bangerjim

Wayne Smith
07-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Metforin can cause stomach problems. They are usually treatable. Yes, talk to your MD.
Brass is half right - sorry Brass. It is not diet alone, it is diet and EXERCISE. Yes, learn to count carbohydrates and limit yourself to 45gms/meal and half of that between meals and exercise and you are likely to be able to get off the metformin.

Talk to your MD and have him prescribe Diabetic Education Classes for you and your wife (unless you do all the shopping and cooking!). Every major medical center (hospital) has them. There are three plus one optional on how to grocery shop. They are well worth the time. There is so much information there you might want to go back a second time. Personally, I am an information junkie. They gave me many links for diabetic education. There is a huge amount of information on the net.

gsdelong
07-06-2014, 07:48 AM
I had the same problems ask your dr if you can use the extended release version. Helped me a lot.

doc1876
07-06-2014, 07:54 AM
finally found this post, check it out

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?238712-Diabetes-information

farmerjim
07-06-2014, 08:10 AM
I am also on 1,000 MG / day , but without any problems. There is much to learn about your condition. Not everybody reacts the same to the different drugs and food and exercise. Read and learn what works best for you. My A1C was in the mid 8's and is now in the mid 5's. What when and how much you eat is important. Test - Test - Test all day long till you know what drives your sugar up and down, and how much.

Big Rack
07-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Your not the only one with stomach or may I say "Where the h***'s the john! Like right GD now!!" Your system will get used to it after a spell.
On diabetes in general I'm beginning to think it's more like welcome to the greybeard club.

bob208
07-06-2014, 08:41 AM
they tried me on metformin. tried it for over a year would not bring the numbers down and had the metformin trots and other side effects.

Rick N Bama
07-06-2014, 10:32 AM
I second the idea of switching to Metformin ER taken twice a day in 500mg doses. It sure helped me with the "Backdoor Trots". Also if you can stomach it (no pun intended) try drinking a half glass or so of Buttermilk a day. That helped my stomach problems more than anything.

HeavyMetal
07-06-2014, 11:14 AM
GNC has a product called Glucosil my Mom passed the info on to me and I tried it briefly last year when my numbers got out of control no matter what I did, pancreas did a small jump start I guess and I got everything back under control in a few weeks.

If your just a mild Diabetic try this stuff you may put off the use of Metformin for a few years. Buy on line from GNC it's half price. one with morning and evening meals worked best for me.

my opinion is the longer you can avoid prescription meds the better my fear is my system getting used to the meds and then not paying attention!

The real important thing is to pay attention to what you eat when you eat adjust your eating schudule as well, no late dinners, I eat before 7 in the evening more often by 6 later than that will raise havoc with your numbers in the morning.

Excercise is important as well, a walk in the evenings is good.

I will also second the suggestion you tell you Doc about the side effects from the Metformin, there are several other drugs he can try that may not do this to you.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-06-2014, 11:39 AM
I am pre-Diabetic and over weight and have always struggled with weight loss. I started a low-carb diet last December and it is working. Because of that, I believe the carbs and the way my body processes carbs is the root of my problem. biotrust claims their supplement 'IC5' helps with this issue. I have added the supplement to my regiment. I think it's helping, but it's spendy, obviously consult your DR.
http://www.biotrust.com/Shop.asp?p=IC5

LUBEDUDE
07-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Wallenba-

I used to sell Metformin in a past lifetime. We had a saying with the doctors : start low and go slow.

Starting you out on 1K is just asking for those particular side effects(big rookie mistake). And that tells me that either he is unfamiliar with the drug or like many physicians, does not listen to his patients about their side effects.

Or maybe in his defense he is book smart doctor, and the book is incorrect, which is very common when it comes to the real world.

If possible, as mentioned, try the extended release version. Or- 200mg 2 or 3 times a day with meals for a few weeks or a month. Then bump up to 300 mg. Then, 500mg twice a day.

And for Pete's sake, always take With a meal!

Metformin is good drug. It is the gold standard and building block for your drug regimen. It is worth the hassle if your doctor is willing to take the time to work with it and you.

Good Luck!

bstone5
07-06-2014, 04:59 PM
I take 500 mg twice a day. Taking the pills right after you eat. The best method is to take the meds with food. Been taking for many years, works very well with a proper diet and some exercise. I eat about 1/2 the amount now that I am a little older. Gave up drinking beer seemed to help a lot in keeping blood sugar level down. I drink one beer a week.

lbaize3
07-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Metformin gave me and my wife loose bowels. Our doctor prescribed taking with meals and giving it a chance. After two weeks we both demanded and got different meds.

shooter93
07-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Cinnamon and Bilberry dropped my numbers like a stone. No medications needed at all and no diet changes. You may want to read up on them. They have helped a great many people.

Ed Barrett
07-06-2014, 06:37 PM
I have been using Metformin for 12 years, no problems, watch my diet 99 percent of the time. Stay away from starches and sugar.