PDA

View Full Version : Leading removal using amonia/peroxide mix

blackthorn
07-05-2014, 07:48 PM
I know that mixing peroxide/vinegar for lead removal will result in the formation of extremely poisonous lead acetate when the solution is used and becomes mixed with lead. I am given to understand that leading can also be removed using a mixture of peroxide/ammonia. Is the residue from using this mix also poisonous? Any cautions? Thanks.

Thompsoncustom
07-05-2014, 08:16 PM
I would be more worried about what it does to your barrel. With enough uses I had the peroxide/vinigar method destory a nice handgun barrel.

bedbugbilly
07-05-2014, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't be using vinegar around a blued handgun - it will remove the blueing. That's what I use to remove blueing off of cap & ball revolvers when "antiquing" them.

Can't answer you question but just wanted to pass on the danger of vinegar and blued surfaces.

guncheese
07-06-2014, 12:25 AM
the ammonia/peroxide mix works very well
and makes lead acetate
the vinegar/peroxide mix works very well
and makes lead acetate as well as eating the bluing off your gun and eating the steel ! it will make a huge mess out of 416 ordinance stainless ask me how i know....

it easier just to use some choreboy copper strands on a bore brush heck its faster anyway and you wont kill your dog or wreck your barrel

waksupi
07-06-2014, 12:58 AM
I use hydrogen peroxide in my browning solution. 'Nuff said.