PDA

View Full Version : the inline

johnson1942
07-04-2014, 07:24 PM
some arent ment for traditional . my 14 year old son is one of those. he love to hunt and has got 6 really good deer in his 14 years but side locks are not his thing. he is right handed and left eyed. he could never get the hang of a rightsided side lock even though he got a couple deer with one of mine. he has a smokeless muzzle loader inc. made on a h anr r action. with nine power scope and it is a fine inline custom gun. i just got the special synthetic stock put on his action and he wanted to try it out. it would shoot to 300 yards easy but i have a new gong put out at 35 yards. with a hornaday hollow base copper clad 300 grain bullet he darn near took the gong off of the metal post it is welded to. also blew up a few 1/2 gallon old juice jugs filled with water.im glad he is showing interest in this gun i had built for him. he will be hunting with it next dec. and again 300 yards are not beyond reach of this gun. i really love the side lock but you have to admit a good inline is a fine machine.

smoked turkey
07-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Yes they are. I have both and enjoy shooting both. I like side locks a bit better than the in-lines due to the cleaning being some easier with the side lock. I have one of the Savage smokeless muzzzleloaders. I know there has been a lot of pro and con about them. I won't weigh in on that but I will say mine is a well made rifle.
I can certainly understand how your son could have a little problem with side locks due to his eye dominance. It sounds like your son is a good hunter, shooter and all around good son. Congratulations. I hope he gets a bit buck with his H&R. It sounds like a nice rifle.

johnson1942
07-04-2014, 10:05 PM
thanks

curator
07-04-2014, 10:20 PM
some arent ment for traditional . my 14 year old son is one of those. he love to hunt and has got 6 really good deer in his 14 years but side locks are not his thing. he is right handed and left eyed. he could never get the hang of a rightsided side lock even though he got a couple deer with one of mine. he has a smokeless muzzle loader inc. made on a h anr r action. with nine power scope and it is a fine inline custom gun. i just got the special synthetic stock put on his action and he wanted to try it out. it would shoot to 300 yards easy but i have a new gong put out at 35 yards. with a hornaday hollow base copper clad 300 grain bullet he darn near took the gong off of the metal post it is welded to. also blew up a few 1/2 gallon old juice jugs filled with water.im glad he is showing interest in this gun i had built for him. he will be hunting with it next dec. and again 300 yards are not beyond reach of this gun. i really love the side lock but you have to admit a good inline is a fine machine.

Modern inlines are muzzle loaders too! Being left-eye dominate makes shooting a right-handed side lock kind of scary. Your face is real close to all the sparks and flames. There are left-handed rifles out there but they are difficult to find and often expensive. Of course, an under-hammer gun would solve the problem nicely since they are ambidextrous. Their ease of use and accuracy make inlines a good choice. Kind of like reloading for center-fire but not having to fuss with all that brass!

johnson1942
07-04-2014, 10:35 PM
thanks for the support. when he was 10 and i was teaching him to shoot and he was so awkward and i couldnt figure it out. then i asked him to point his finger like a hand gun at me and aim at my nose. i could see he was useing his left eye. he then switched to left handed shooting and again since has got 6 deer. one was a 6x9 that should have been a 8x9 but fights knocked two tines off. hes not much into tradition but loves to hunt and shoot guns he can handle. he got to spend a day with the local gamewarden and the warden told him that he knew more about deer than the warden did. the other day he had to shoot a coon that was trying to kill one of our toms. jiggs did pretty good though, he took one eye out of the coon but got bit up pretty bad. he was still trying to fight the coon after matt shot it. it fun around here sometimes.

John Taylor
07-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Time for an under hammer.

richhodg66
07-06-2014, 07:19 AM
I've muzzle loader hunted a long time, Kansas has a good season. I started with a Hawken and used it a long time taking quite a few deer. It's a good rifle and has accounted for the three best bucks I have taken to date.

I've used a cheap Traditions inline the past three years and have actually come to like it. I use my own cast in sabots and still use loose powder and musket caps rather than 209 primers, but the rifle is dirt simple, very rugged and reliable.

I plan to go back to a more traditional rifle for this season, but the inline has a place in the stable. Another good thing about them is if you are in a "shotgun only" deer area like we have with much of Fort Riley, an inline muzzle loader is still legal equipment and much cheaper and easier to get good performance from than a slug gun, so it's not just for muzzle loader season.

Squeeze
07-25-2014, 07:54 PM
111705Knight Mountaineer, Left handed. Im right handed left eye dominant, been shooting left hand for almost 40 years though. This is my first lefty gun, and its not even quite real lefty, just stock and safety

johnson1942
07-26-2014, 11:03 AM
squeeze, that is a really really nice gun.

fj3fury
07-28-2014, 11:32 AM
I've put 3 deer down with a Knight Wolverine inline, and my last was with a Cabela's hawken. The inline is easier to clean granted the short barrel I didn't get optimum accuracy till i switched from FFg pyrodex to FFFg. The Hawken liked regular FFg though. Meat hunting first of the season I prefer to use the inline, but after that I witch to the sidelock for nostalgia.

johnson1942
07-28-2014, 12:08 PM
they have their place and my son loves his. they can really reach out and get game.