PDA

View Full Version : What's your dog worth to you

500MAG
07-04-2014, 04:43 PM
A few years ago, my wife wanted a chihuahua. We already had a bull dog and I told her that if she got that dog I wasn't even going to take it outside, it was all hers. Needless to say, it and the two others she got since then love me more than anyone. The first one just took a hold on my heart I don't know what I would do if something happened to her. Well, last week, she started getting ill. She was feverish and stopped eating. After work, I got worried, and rushed her to the animal hospital. Emergency surgery for pyometra $2100. My wife got upset with me and the whole argument started. When you know that surgery would save her what do you do?

dkf
07-04-2014, 05:04 PM
I would have sold stuff if I had to, to pay for the surgery. Some things in this world are priceless....

aspangler
07-04-2014, 05:08 PM
What DKF said.

abunaitoo
07-04-2014, 05:13 PM
They are not pets. They are a part of the family. Like an adopted child.
Some just don't seem to understand this.
I've spent money, that I really didn't have, on pet emergency care.
My pet is part of my family. I would do anything for her.

prsman23
07-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Likewise. I just spent over $1100 in emergency care for mine. I'd do it over again in a heartbeat.

shooterbob
07-04-2014, 05:28 PM
I lost one in a fire in 04 and that was the hardest thing to get over....all my guns fishing tackle, car and boat didn't mean a thing.

Artful
07-04-2014, 05:28 PM
When my Rottie's got Ill
- Bouncer was about $3500 in medical and still he only lived to 11 years old and Rowdy about $2000 before his death at 13 years,
you can't buy love but you can buy care of those that you love and love you back unconditionally.
The problem is you can't buy them a longer life - no matter how much you spend, age will still take them
- you have to look at all the factors as well as a prognosis.

RED333
07-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Growing up on a farm, cows and pigs, dogs get shot for doing the wrong thing.
Hard to say, I had a dog that was hit by a car, could not afford the work to get him repaired.
That and the more than better chance he would not make it, so I did the hardest thing I HAVE EVER DONE.
Broke my heart, after 30 years I still get a tear just thinking about it.
Pets are family, but not human, it is very hard choice, one I dont care for.

HollandNut
07-04-2014, 06:03 PM
We have been lucky over the years with our pups .. When my wife worked for a vet , that helped a bunch for bills , especially the horses ..

There has always been at least one dawg in the house .. When we had to put River Dawg down three years ago , we said that was it , he was the last , cause it's just to hard to say good bye .. Well a year or so later we got what was supposed to be a golden and something mixed pup , there wasn't a golden in the state when this critter's ma was bred , so we got a Basenji and something mix , sweetest thing and never seen one as curious as she is .. She was always hyper and so we got her a sister last year , blonde lab and something , Ally took to me , more than anyone else around here .. She's full of it as well ..

They mean more to me than most of my family .. I'd do what I have to do for them ..

9w1911
07-04-2014, 06:05 PM
they are my family Id protect them with my life

wallenba
07-04-2014, 06:12 PM
My dog 'Bud' had chronic problems develope at age 9 from his anal glands. I paid $1200 to have them removed. It was worth it, as he lived to nearly 17. My other dog 'Lola', got cancer of the mammary glands at age 8. I spent an embarrassing amount of money trying to save her. Bud's success encouraged me. But despite all the money spent after her diagnosis, she still only lived what my vet originally had given her, 8 months. It's a hard call, but when you love them like your kids....

DCP
07-04-2014, 06:31 PM
When my Rottie's got Ill
- Bouncer was about $3500 in medical and still he only lived to 11 years old and Rowdy about $2000 before his death at 13 years,
you can't buy love but you can buy care of those that you love and love you back unconditionally.
The problem is you can't buy them a longer life - no matter how much you spend, age will still take them
- you have to look at all the factors as well as a prognosis.

I so agree with you Artful.

I lost my Angel Jan 10 2014. after almost 14 years. I would give all the Gold in Fort Knox if, Just IF
Damn here come the tears again.
Guys dogs are a priceless gift from GOD.
She was truly my best friend

kenyerian
07-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Well I just put $600.00 in a 11 week old beagle pup that came down with Parvo even though he had had his shots at 6,8 and 10 weeks. He made it through and is now tormenting the wife's cats. Hopefully he will make a good gun dog.

dg31872
07-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Eleven years ago we got a new Lab pup. Paid $200for him. Had him a month when he ran under our truck. Left front wheel over right hind leg. Femer broken at both growth plates. multiple surgeries and $4000 later he was okay. At the time I wondered at the wisdom of not just getting a different dog.
Now after all this time I am sure we made the right decision. He is part of the family.

BrassMagnet
07-04-2014, 06:54 PM
My little Buddy was wandering the streets when we first saw him. He got chased away from house after house until he arrived at a house where the people were out of town for a week of vacation. They lived across the street from me. When Mrs Brass would walk Chelsey, Chelsey would go visit Buddy.
I tried to catch him one day. He jumped in a flood control ditch and ran away. Another day I came home and saw a couple of neighbors outdoors and we all decided to catch him. I blocked the flood control ditch so he ran the other direction. He ran around a house where there was no fence and into a yard with a dug but not yet concreted swimming pool. Buddy whimpered when Thorne grabbed him, but started wagging his tail when no one hurt him.
With food, water, a trip to the vet and groomer he was a different little dog.
Buddy developed diabetes and required insulin every day. Absolutely fearless for a little pekinese/poodle cross. He went blind from the diabetes. Cataracts. He would still go charging off and right into any obstacle.
We found a vet in Denver who did doggie cataract surgery. Poor little guy was miserable for a month and I am sure he had no idea why he could see again. He lived almost another year before he and Chelsey both suffered from kidney failure. Chelsey recovered some kidney function, but Buddy did not. It is unbelievably tough to hold your best friend while they go to sleep for the last time. Those last eleven months of joy for Buddy were worth every penny of the surgery and recovery costs.

DCP
07-04-2014, 07:35 PM
It is unbelievably tough to hold your best friend while they go to sleep for the last time. Those last eleven months of joy for Buddy were worth every penny of the surgery and recovery costs.

Amen to that.
But it also my honor to be there for her. They deserve that.

Alvarez Kelly
07-04-2014, 07:43 PM
I have spent thousands to help dogs who cost hundreds.

They quickly become a member of the family. If they can be helped or saved, the cost is not relevant.

lbaize3
07-04-2014, 07:53 PM
I guess you can tell from the picture that I love my dogs. I spent over $1200 on surgery for the little male I am holding. I spend $1800 on the older female not in the picture and I would do the same for the last little ****z Szu female I now have. She will be 17 this coming March and I dread her passing. You can get real attached to them. Not only would I spend a lot of money on keeping them healthy and with me, I would place myself between them and danger to keep them thus....

13Echo
07-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Beulah, our half Basset, half Yellow lab ( we call her an American Bassador Chow hound - half a dog high, dog and a half long) was hit by a car. They didn't stop or slow down. Fractured her right foreleg at the elbow and completely ring fractured her muzzle. thought she was going to die. Three months and $6,000 later she is home and back to patrolling the front yard to keep it squirrel free. Missing three teeth and has a pin in her leg. But now the sound of mud tread tires sends her running. Never considered not doing whatever we could. A dog is utterly loyal, always glad to see you, and will be there for you no matter how rotten a day you've had. They give you joy and at the end break your heart. Cannot imagine not having one around.

Jerry Liles

Hamish
07-04-2014, 08:10 PM
I have two hard and fast rules.

1. Never trust anyone who doesn't love animals.

2. Trust my instincts when it comes to rule number 1.

I'm not ashamed to say I've spent a stupid amount of money to save a four legged kid or two,,,,

BrassMagnet
07-04-2014, 08:20 PM

Anyone who is cruel to animals will be cruel to people if they can! Beware one of them with power or authority.

500MAG
07-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Well, here she is recovering.

9w1911
07-04-2014, 10:09 PM
great thread!!!!

MaryB
07-05-2014, 12:03 AM
I have had both dogs and cats, spent a lot on my first lab Misty when she got cancer. Beat the cancer only to have arthritis take away her ability to walk. Held her as she went to sleep. Several after that that made it to old age and just passed in their sleep. 2 cats right now, easier for me to take care of with my disabilities. Tigger has one major vet bill after neutering, he swallowed a toy that logged in his thoat and had to take him to the vet for that. Oreo my other cat is a rescue I got 2 years ago at 4 years old. Other than a $300 initial vet bill for shots and neutering he has been trouble free and is my bed buddy. Sleeps next to me all night, often under my arm cuddled on my chest.

They are all family, and when one passes it hurts and leaves a hole that can't be filled. But another comes along to help heal the pain and create a new bond and new love.

Gaseous Maximus
07-05-2014, 01:50 AM
I guess to my wife and I, she is worth about everything we own.

jaysouth
07-05-2014, 02:18 AM
What's your dog worth?

Two wives at least.

robg
07-05-2014, 04:07 AM
dogs are the best people,their great judges of caracter,if dog dont like em there proably wrong uns

Lonegun1894
07-05-2014, 04:21 AM
I would do anything to protect, save, or help my dogs. Like many have said, they're family. Someone asking me that usually just gets the response in the form of a question. Why? What's your child worth to you?

500MAG
07-05-2014, 06:06 AM
dogs are the best people,their great judges of caracter,if dog dont like em there proably wrong uns
I could only pray to be the man my dog thinks I am.

6bg6ga
07-05-2014, 06:58 AM
We have had German Shepherds for over 40 years. They give unconditional love and support 100% of the time. We have leared over the years that they are going to be with us for roughly 10 years and to savor every day. Can you put a price on them? I would have to say no.

trapper9260
07-05-2014, 07:49 AM
Anyone who is cruel to animals will be cruel to people if they can! Beware one of them with power or authority.

How true that is.I see too many in life that live right up to that also.I have 2 coydogs and this past Sept 2013 had to have one put to sleep because he had cancer of the lungs that was brought on by something else and he was short of one month of being 12 years old. I still have his brother that is over 12 going on 13 in Oct they look after me and I do of them and got a coydog puppy in April and love him like my other one.they are also let you know of how someone is also.I do defend them and will stick my life on the line if someone try something on them .

trapper9260
07-05-2014, 07:51 AM

You see that also like I do also and how true it is.

shooter2
07-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Worth every penny as far as I'm concerned. Ours give us nothing but love and all they ask for is a couple of meals, a place to play and reasonable care. It's the best deal man ever made. Thank you God for giving us Dogs. S2

Hickok
07-05-2014, 12:57 PM
My pet is part of my family. I would do anything for her.You said exactly how I feel about the subject. Thanks for putting it into clear and concise words!

MrWolf
07-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Aye, they are family and the costs are incidental. The hardest part is determining if we are keeping them alive for their benefit or ours - quality of life issues that we all address.

Giants fan
07-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Our animals have brought so much to our household and our hearts. My dog Ginger is a miniature schnauzer she is now 7 years old. It seems like only yesterday when we waited for her plane to arrive. One of the attendants brought her crate out to us and told us what a great job she did she flew from Oklahoma to California .. We opened up the crate and there was a little bundle of fur looking up at us and instantly started licking us we knew we had a new part of the family. She is one of the best dogs we have ever had such a smart dog loves everybody and is a great watch dog she even gets along with the cats.

rondog
07-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Anybody that tries to hurt either of my Beagle girls will find out how much they're worth to me.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/annie/DSCN2681.jpg

dagger dog
07-05-2014, 03:17 PM
My pet is part of my family. I would do anything for her.

That's it in a few common words, when you take that animals life into your care that is a commitment for life.

Blanco
07-05-2014, 03:19 PM
I got my 2 to take bird hunting with me. I have spent a small fortune getting them trained up to do AKC field trials. They are all business when it comes to hunting, but most of the time they are just like goofy kids.

LynC2
07-05-2014, 03:28 PM
You fellow dog lovers have all made excellent posts that I agree with. They become family and I treat them as such. Mess with my dog and one messes with me! I've been fortunate with my dogs as none have ever required anything other than normal vet visits or they well could put me behind the 8 ball taking care of them. I had a fantastic little Schnauzer that made it to 17 years and it broke my heart when I had to have the vet put him down. My present dog, a West Highland White is spoiled so rotten that I can't imagine not having her around. She looked just like a little polar bear cub when she was young. So yes, I love my pets even though I was raised in the country and slaughtered my share of livestock and hunted when I was younger.

brtelec
07-05-2014, 03:43 PM
I tend to agree with Red333. Having grown up around farm animals, there has to be a balance in regards to vet bills and pets. I understand people spending whatever is needed to keep their pets alive and well, but I do not think I would go to any expense personally. I also agree that anyone that is cruel to animals should be kept at a safe distance. If they are cruel to something as defenseless as a domesticated animal, you can bet they will be cruel to people also. There is just something missing in people like that.

MT Gianni
07-05-2014, 09:23 PM
I have grown up with animals all my life. I have had dogs I have loved and whom I know trusted me with their all. I have had cats I tolerated as well as sheep, cattle, goats and hogs. my maximum vet bill for non-cattle animals is $200, for breeding stock it is 1/2 of market value. Call me cold-hearted but they all have short lives at best.

MaryB
07-05-2014, 11:34 PM
When they are family it is different. These have never been breed stock or anything besides good retrievers and pheasant dogs, good cats indoor only. They have unique personalities and have all left a mark behind. Like my first lab Misty would tackle me behind the knees and then lick me to death if I was gone all day. But she was also the smartest dog I have ever had, knew a dozen hand signals, same for whistles, and voice commands had to be 30 or more.

crazy mark
07-06-2014, 12:31 AM
All our pets are family. Spent lots of money over the years and we will continue to do so. The last 6 dogs have been Doxies. We have 4 now. one is 13, one is 7 and 2 are 5. We will spend what they need to live and be comfortable. They are wonderful companions that just want love and food.

Mumblypeg
07-06-2014, 01:11 AM
My father was veterinarian so I grew up around animals all the time. When I was young I just saw them as family pets. When I started duck hunting with a friend who had a Lab I came to realize just what they were worth. I would borrow his dog sometimes when he could not go hunting. She would work for me just as she would for him and absolutely loved to hunt. When she died, I cried and she wasn't even my dog! So I got me a Lab or two after that and they were good dogs in their own rite but there will never be another "Cole or Coal". I will always remember her as the dog that changed the way I look at dogs. My father saved many a dog but ironically it seemed that he was never able to save ours as most were hit by cars and were DRT. He did patch up a few from non life threating injuries however. When my father died it was the hardest thing for me to have to take my pets to another Vet but I have one now that even reminds me of my father in many ways( He just charges me a LOT more). I know that when I get a dog I will only have them at best for 15 years+ or -. I have always dreaded the thought of having to put one to sleep but so far they have died on their own but never in my arms. Two I knew were going soon and I left them for just a minute and when I returned they were gone. I have no regrets however as I loved them and cared for them as best I could and they knew it and I was with then as I knew the time was close and they had good lives. Two of the best ones I have had, someone put them out and they came to my house and picked me. I have a Border Collie now that someone put out and I know he could not have been over 7 weeks old. My old Blue Healer brought him up to the house as to say " Look what I found! My Replacement!" She schooled him in the ways of how things were done around here. That was two and a half years ago. Belle, the Blue Healer died this past Dec. and now Toby is the "Dog". Belle taught him to respect his elders and he doesn't even bother the cat while he is eating but WILL clean up his bowl when he is done. I have never let a dog stay in the house before for more than a night or two if the weather is real bad... but now, Toby comes in every night. He sleeps by the back door and never leaves the kitchen and never bothers anything. He is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever known. And yes, he and the cat love each other. I have had many a long conversation with my animals, Mules I call them, but they don't say much. They just give you that look of understanding. Well, except the cat.... he's just a cat and you know how they are. Independent. I've always had pretty good pets. I think it says a lot for the owner. Many people can't raise children right much less a dog. I once was telling someone about a time I thought I would have to go in the freezing water to get my dog untangled from the decoys and he asked me, "You mean you would go in the icy water to save your dog?" I looked at him as if he was real stupid and said, "You Da**ed right I would and he would do the same for me." He just didn't get it. All things die sooner or later... I just enjoy the times that I had with them and never forget them. I respect them as I would a human and most know it and will come to me when they wont go to another person. I guess my father taught me that.... there are good ones and crazy ones though... just like people. You just got to know how to deal with them. Yea.... they are worth a LOT !

gandydancer
07-06-2014, 02:30 AM
what ever they weigh are pounds of pure love. I have had many. have two now. the love of my life was a mutt about 20 pounds looked like a English sheep dog. she rode on my motorcycle with me for 11 years. She's been gone now over 20 years and my heart still aches. The penguins say. "dogs don't go to heaven. so send me where they go"

smokeywolf
07-06-2014, 07:20 AM
109871109869109868Sammy, Smokey and Timber. There is no dollar limit that can be put on a family member's life or health. We had Sammy for 11 years. I think we spent near $4,000.00 on medical for him. If it had taken more we would have come up with more.

smokeywolf

LUBEDUDE
07-06-2014, 03:50 PM
Well if you've seen the movie, Shooter, you understand how things got personal real quick. The main character was being questioned about his actions.

His reply: " You don't understand, they shot my dog! "

Think that hit home for most folks.

Bodean74
07-06-2014, 04:01 PM
I love my 3 dogs first line of defense, And they keep the cats away.

gandydancer
07-06-2014, 04:05 PM
you dog lovers are my kind of people. and them that mistreat them are lower than whale droppings. gd

PS. I don't have much use for dog owners who leave them tied out to a plastic doll house as a dog shelter 24-7 there is one down the street like that for the last seven years. a golden retriever. keeps his poodles in the house. if I was able to get around I would steal it.

LUBEDUDE
07-07-2014, 01:22 PM
PS. I don't have much use for dog owners who leave them tied out to a plastic doll house as a dog shelter 24-7 there is one down the street like that for the last seven years. a golden retriever. keeps his poodles in the house. if I was able to get around I would steal it.

If I lived within a few hundred miles of you, I'd come do it for you.

Man that is just plain Wrong.

Love Life
07-07-2014, 01:24 PM
How much is my dog worth to me? Well, my entire bank roll. I spent many thousands of dollars on my dog over the last two years, and I still lost her this year. I don't regret spending a penny of it as she was happy and a part of our family.

DCP
07-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Vet just called, Patches our 9 year old Miniature Schnauzer must have a sonogram ($330.00) because she has blood in her urine. She has been on meds for 90 days. She might have a stone. She is also diabetic.

So it begins again, where she stops nobody knows.
We will be spending a lot more than MT Gianni $200.00 limit.

I sure miss Angel. So we have a new puppy coming in about 5 weeks

bikerbeans
07-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Last year, I put $1900 into successful leg surgery for my shorty Jack. Now I am looking at about another $700 to fix up my daughter's walker coon hound. They are family, so I give up my "play" money for them. If I didn't have the cash, I guess I would have a yard sale or you folks would see some of gun stuff in the classifieds.

BB

Gator 45/70
07-07-2014, 03:39 PM
My current wife has no children, So i bought her a lab puppy about 3.5 years ago, The woman loves and spoils the dog to no end, So money is no problem for maintaining the calm around the house. Beside's she goes to the range with me and will run thru an 1/2 jug of my 38 cast reloads and leave's with a smile on her face !

Harter66
07-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Well I spent $300 on 1 w/a broken leg she embolised on the x-ray table.She was certain to be a good hunter.......
Chipper practically raised me the last 8 of his 16 yr. Broke a lot of hearts when he left including Unique. Chip had leaky vessels after getting out of a truck into a boulder pile and suffered blotted hemotomas that probably cost my folks over $100 between 1968 and 1973.
Unique was was absolutely trouble free for 14 yr ,a long time for an 80# wiemerranner.
Purdy was an spring/wieler,I think maybe she was the other woman w/X1 I can't count the days much less hr afield when she was about 12 the arthritus finally made her give me the ''Nah you go ahead w/o me today ,but thanks for banking up the fire'' look,stretch......1 yr almost to the day later she bid adue'.

I was then adopted by a black cat under a full moon her 1st appearence being at 0313 11/1/07 .Now I'm not really superstitious , but when a black cat drops in under a full moon on all hallows ......... well better safe than sorry. She has been trouble free to date .

3 weeks ago I got the next dog ,Thanksgiving Friday will mark 9 yrs since Purdy, Remmy is now just over 9 weeks. She comes ,sits most times , kennels for bedtime ,doesn't woof her food and I have about $40 in her w/shots. I have high hopes for her as a rotten/pointer I couldn't tell from the picture if her father is short hair or english mom is about 75# of rottweiler. Something pushed us together because I did not need a dog to train for the coming season. Points in her favor her nose drags her around and she is becoming very attentive to the collared dove in her yard.

What are they worth ? Well I'm mixed under 9-10 I'd spend a lot more for injurys over 5-6 I don't think I would spend a lot or put the dog through the ''pain'' of cronic illness ,knock on wood I've never had to make that choice. Kill my dog in my yard or in my control you may as well figure on losing the offending hand,because I'm going to go all pitbull w/a porkchop ,monitary value $10K to start because Chip was my big brother Unique was somewhere between sister and best friend ,Purdy was .......well the kid that hunted my legs off .....

labradigger1
07-07-2014, 09:33 PM
They are worth everything to me.
My wife and i are dog people. I have always liked labs. My yellow lab of 14 years of faithful companionship had to be put down a couple months ago.
8 years ago my wife brought home a little apple head yellow chihuahua.
Now, i have never liked little ankle biters. I hated that little #&*$ for the first 6 months we had him and refused to be seen with him, i mean who amongst us could ever be seen with an 4# dog in public? Big tough men we are.
The wife and son went to a convention at the 6 mo. Mark and I stayed home with the doggies. While they were gone the little chihuahua and i finally bonded.
I have been blessed with healthy dogs and they have brought me so much more enjoyment than i could ever return. After my lab Noah passed the chihuahua (peanut butter) has helped to fill a major hole.
You ask what is your dog worth?
Whatever it takes!
They are some of my best friends, they have wonderful personallitys, i like them more than most people.
Long live your dog!
Lab

Cornbread
07-08-2014, 06:37 PM
If we are being 100% honest. I'll spend more on some dogs than on others. My dogs have always been gun dogs or working dogs of some sort. I've never had a purely pet dog other than one rescue chihuahua that the pound was going to put down because she was 12 and nobody wanted to adopt a dog that old. I took her home and she lived 3 more years, mostly sleeping on my couch but she liked to go along fishing too. She was a pretty good dog. My current dog is a blood trailing beagle and the more she learns the more I would be willing to spend on her. You can't buy a nose and a drive to blood trail like she has for any money so she is worth a lot more to me than many gun dogs I have owned. The last pointer I had I gave away for free because he had zero drive to hunt. The lady that took him turned him into a therapy dog that visits old folks homes and hospices etc. To me that dog wasn't worth the price it cost to feed him but to her I imagine he is priceless. I can't put an exact dollar amount on the current dog, she's louder than heck when she goes off but she isn't replaceable. I bet if I have another 100 blood trailers in my life I'll never see another one like her again. My kids also adore her. I'd spend more than I'll publicly admit if anything ever happens to her. Here she is last week camping with my kids and I for five days up in the mountains near my house.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/AndyTheCornbread/DSC00124_zps91a48014.jpg

smokeywolf
07-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Always had a soft spot for Beagles. Mom & Dad had 2 of them when I was a kid.

buckwheatpaul
07-08-2014, 09:42 PM
The one common thread at our Cast Boolits family is that we love our animals....there are countless posts of exactly what you are talking about....I know that I would do what is necessary to take care of my princess....Maggie the schnauzer......she has me wrapped around her paw......We had a Lab. that cost more than three of our cows due to surgeries.....they are family!!!!!!

AZ-JIM
07-08-2014, 09:51 PM
I am a lab guy, we had to put down our first one last year just after her 13th birthday. That was the second hardest thing I have ever had to go through after losing my dad 2 years before. I felt like the lowest scum of the earth for having to give the green light to the vet to do it, even though I knew it was best for her. She was a great dog and a great friend, always let you know when someone was coming while out camping....with plenty of notice.
We got another lab at Thanksgiving last year, male this time. He is quite a character. I was ready to get another dog but had some skepticism about his ability to live up to the standard his predecessor had set. He is making a heck of a go at it and is just as good of a friend, if not better. The other one cant be replaced, as this one will not be able to be replaced.
My brother in law jokingly tried to walk off with my puppy shortly after we got him, I told him that was a shootable offence....not joking :razz:

az-jim

crawfobj
07-08-2014, 10:31 PM
My older lab tore his ACL. 2 surgeries, 6 months of recovery, and $1200 later, he's doing great. He's officially retired from bird hunting though, so the little one was "hired" to do the work.

It was never a question whether or not we would do the surgery.

I've often wondered why we're only blessed with the company of a good dog for so few years. Guess it helps us remember how good we have it. The good ones should live forever.

Incidentally, my mutts now have a modeling career. They're going to be in a fundraising calendar for DFW Lab Rescue. They're in a contest now on facebook to determine the cover picture.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/09/yqesy3e2.jpg

500MAG
07-08-2014, 10:36 PM
My older lab tore his ACL. 2 surgeries, 6 months of recovery, and $1200 later, he's doing great. He's officially retired from bird hunting though, so the little one was "hired" to do the work.

It was never a question whether or not we would do the surgery.

I've often wondered why we're only blessed with the company of a good dog for so few years. Guess it helps us remember how good we have it. The good ones should live forever.

Incidentally, my mutts now have a modeling career. They're going to be in a fundraising calendar for DFW Lab Rescue. They're in a contest now on facebook to determine the cover picture.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/09/yqesy3e2.jpg
How can we vote?

crawfobj
07-08-2014, 10:44 PM
How can we vote?

You can vote by going to the link below and liking the pic. Some tough competition out there, but I'm a little biased.

https://www.facebook.com/DFWLabradorRescue/photos/a.10152994911512818.1073741838.101318442817/10152994913272818/?type=1&theater

500MAG
07-08-2014, 10:48 PM
You can vote by going to the link below and liking the pic. Some tough competition out there, but I'm a little biased.

https://www.facebook.com/DFWLabradorRescue/photos/a.10152994911512818.1073741838.101318442817/10152994913272818/?type=1&theater
Liked & shared!

silverado
07-09-2014, 11:21 AM
"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." (Genesis 9:3, NIV (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/od/faqhelpdesk/p/newinternationa.htm))
Now, I'm not saying that I would eat my dog. Far beyond that. I do treat my dogs well, and have a bond with them, but I also realize that they are animals. There is a point where I would be willing to put a dog down. It would still break my heart to do so but I know that my dog and my family are not one and the same.

nekshot
07-09-2014, 11:35 AM
I feel your love for your dogs and I for mine BUT if your dog continues to kill my chickens, chase the steers and now chasing the goats and their young ones don't wonder why I put bullet holes in them and don't give me the **** "I don't how to live in the country" because keeping a animal under control is number one rule. And I love most dogs most of the time!

tygar
07-09-2014, 12:23 PM

I'm not ashamed to say I've spent a stupid amount of money to save a four legged kid or two,,,,

Yep & I'd add, "watch out for anyone your dog doesn't like"! (this is what happens when my dogs don't like someone)

As is obvious I'm a dog guy.

I have also spent obscene amounts of money on my dogs (& horses), but my dogs "are" part of my family & I definately like my better than most my kids & most everyone else.

All the cliches about mans best friend, absolute love, etc., are all true.

My dogs are my best buddies, go with me, tramp the woods, go to the river & on one occasion they chased a bear off. Not to mention tracking man or beast & eating the bad guys.

A heads up for you guys, I have been feeding a raw, natural diet for 20 yrs now, & have great success, with my German Shepherds living up to 16 yrs, which is unheard of.

Tygar, on my left died a while back at 16, his son Junior, on my right, was 15. The average is over 14 & we have almost "no" medical problems anymore. So, I strongly recommend that you get away from that commercial dog food.

Happy dog days.

Gator 45/70
07-09-2014, 12:55 PM
tygar, What are you feeding your dogs ? Or perhaps start a thread on what dogs should eat ? Thanks'

DeanWinchester
07-09-2014, 01:23 PM
What's my dog worth to ME???

A heckuva lot more than half the humans I've come into contact with.
He's been a TRUE friend that has never lied or deceived me. He's been 85 lbs of "I don't care pops, I love you no matter what the world thinks"......just don't pinch his cheeks. He don't take kindly to that.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/DSC00195-1.jpg

nekshot
07-09-2014, 03:17 PM
I feel your love for your dogs and I for mine BUT if your dog continues to kill my chickens, chase the steers and now chasing the goats and their young ones don't wonder why I put bullet holes in them and don't give me the **** "I don't how to live in the country" because keeping a animal under control is number one rule. And I love most dogs most of the time!

Fellas, I apologise for this rant even though it was time for pain meds I have no right to ruin a good thread. I want to add of my first "real"dog I got when I was 16 and it was a pure bred german shorthair female that was the pick of the litter but somebody beat the puppy and the owner would not sell it as a gun dog. Regretfully I also was came out of a abusive childhood and me and the dog bonded and had about 16 awsesome years together. She was strickly a one man dog , a pure hunter by instinct and all I had to do was teach her to come to me when called. I would take her out for about 2 hours every night and let her work pheasents and it was healing to me to be a part of her life.

Harter66
07-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Nekshot ,
If a man has no control of his dog it is because he has little control of himself or the dog is smarter. Nothing pisses me off like picking up after the neighbors dogs ,except listening to someone rip on me about dogs at large when mine are kenneled ,fenced or leashed everywhere except the blind ,field and 20ft to the truck from the fence......

2ndAmendmentNut
07-09-2014, 03:57 PM
I have "wasted" "blown" and "burned" more money on four legged animals then I would care to admit even to myself. Last month while I was at work. My wife visited my mother and took our dog along to play with my parents dogs. Our dog got himself run over. Unfortunately money has been uncomfortably tight this year and ends are barely being met. When I got the call my mom was already rushing the dog to the vet. It was unbelievably hard to have to make the decision and instruct that the dog's suffering be put to an end rather than attempt surgery. Our dog didn't even make it to the vet so the surgery wouldn't have even been an option. After I got home from work my 2-year old son got to watch his dad cry like a baby while digging a hole to burry his beloved dog that wouldn't wake up.

Days that I have had to burry horses and dogs are among my worst. If something as common as money can prevent one of those days I would gladly trade it.

Smoke4320
07-09-2014, 04:01 PM
What's your dog worth?

Two wives at least.

I see your 2 and raise you 2 more. nuff said

DeanWinchester
07-09-2014, 04:33 PM
It was told to me by an old man like this. [...and this might be touch blasphemous but its funny nonetheless]

Ever wonder why DOG is GOD spelled backwards? It aint coincidence. Dog is God's finest work.
God didn't even make Dog until about the eighth or ninth day. God looked down, seen all he had made and took measure. Earth, vegetable, mineral, water, beast, Man......and then he happened upon Man's helpmate and friend that God had made for him [Woman], meant to love and be there for him in good times and bad. God pondered for moment and said "Aww hell I can do better than that!" The first Dog was born moments later.

500MAG
07-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Yep & I'd add, "watch out for anyone your dog doesn't like"!

We have a bulldog and 3 chihuahuas. The bulldog loves everyone and is the laziest dog you ever seen. One day, we had a guy delivering furniture and she went crazy trying to get at him. Mind you, she doesn't normally get out of her bed when a stranger comes in. I knew not to trust that guy.

tygar
07-09-2014, 08:31 PM
tygar, What are you feeding your dogs ? Or perhaps start a thread on what dogs should eat ? Thanks'

OK here is my recipe, remember I am feeding 3 GSDs(lowest # in 30yrs):

12#s ground meat either beef, turkey, chicken or any mix. If turkey or chicken I add 3#s of ground beef fat.

4#s finely ground carrots

8 cups quick oats

Any other veggies except onion family, beans etc can be mixed with oats/carrots up to 25%

2 cups wheat bran

1/2 cup wheat germ

1 cup molasses

1 cup canola oil

1/2 cup cod liver oil (or I give 1 fish oil capsule per dog per day)

1 cup apple cider vinegar

9 eggs including shells cooked 5 mins.

Grind the carrots to a fine mush, add eggs so both grind together. Add a little water 1/2 cup m/l to assist in them grinding to a slushy mix. I grind about 1 1/3# w/3 eggs in each load.

1 dog vitamin per dog per day

In a "big" pot mix the meat, fat, oats, & other ingredients, less the carrot mix, add enough water so it will combine.

After carrot mix is done, add to pot & mix all. Again add water, if needed, until it's mixed. You will need to add a cup or so of water at some of the feedings since the oats may soak it up & make the mix clunky.

I know you all want to know how much, but I feed by how the dog looks. You want the dog to be tucked at the waist, be able to strongly feel the ribs beneath the skin & lightly see the back 2 ribs.

In the adults they get "around" 1 1/2 cups twice a day, adjusted by how they look & activity level.

Pups are on it totally at around 12 wks after gradually working up to it.

People who have dogs with allergies or dogs that arn't doing well ask me about it & almost all problems are fixed by going on this diet. That's how I got on it.

I bought a bitch from the German Seiger champion (top dog in Germany) & bred her to the USA National Schutzhund Champ.

The pup couldn't keep food down & had diahrea(sp) bad & was wasting away. I asked the owner of the male if she had any ideas & said what I just told you.

In 2 days the puking & diahrea was gone & in a couple weeks his weight gain was great. In a month he was absolutely cured of all problems & back to normal size & growth.

Needless to say all my other dogs & I probably had 8 or so were on this food & have been since.

Another point I will make. Most dogs today are badly overweight. It doesn't matter whether it's a St. Bernard, Rottweiller, GSD (all of which I have raised, bred & trained) or a Pug or Daschund, all should be tucked & you should be able to strongly feel the ribs. This mix is much better at keeping dogs lean than commercial dog food.

If they were kept lean, 80% of displacia & other problems could be avoided. You also need to breed only to OFA certified hips dogs/elbows dogs, so as to breed out displacia.

Of course, as they get older, letting them add a "little" weight is beneficial.

Give it a try, it works.

smokeywolf
07-09-2014, 10:20 PM
We avoid giving our K9s grains, plant fibers or starches with the exception of a little carrot, sweet potato and apple. His protein sources are not cooked, as cooking kills the enzymes that are living in the meat or egg. Those enzymes in the food work in concert with the enzymes in their intestines to break down and assimilate the nutrients in the food.

Dogs are not in fact omnivores. Their molars are sharp and positioned relative to the opposing molars to scissor off chunks of meat which they then swallow with little or no chewing. The fact that they lack the component in their saliva that starts the breakdown of grains and fibers and have no grinding surfaces on their teeth coupled with the fact that their jaws don't move side to side to facilitate a grinding motion is physiological proof that K9s are meat eaters.

Because Timber isn't given food that his system is incapable of breaking down and processing, his little doggy land mines are about the size of what a dachshund might leave behind. He is able to make use of a far greater percentage of his intake.

smokeywolf

tygar
07-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Neither is mine. Raw natural diet. As for veggies, what is usually the first thing the wolves eat on a down herbivore...the semi digested stomach contents. The molasses, apple vinegar etc all provide the enzymes for digestion.

They may not attack a wheat field but the ground to mush stuff simulates the stomach contents of their prey, which they eat. Also, dogs/wolves, on their own, eat grasses & berries. This is all proven fact. These thing they eat in the wild are what is simulated in this diet. It is what provides a lot of the vitamins, minerals etc in their wild diet.

If you think that the scat from a dog eating commercial dog food is less than this diet you are wrong. The poop from a 85# shepherd is maybe a 1/3 of what coml food causes. That is because they "use" the stuff dogs don't process. This diet is highly utilized. The only thing you see in their poop is an occasional small bit of egg shell or carrot that didn't get ground enough.

Most vets either "don't" know or "don't" care that the dog food they sell is mostly **** with chicken beaks etc & corn & other undigestible items as well as terrible additives like preservatives.
You feed what you want but don't denigrate my diet that has been proven in Canadian studies to be a very close to the wild natural diet.

In over 20 years I havn't had anyone not say their dog has improved. Energy, coat, overall health & longevity.

When you have a lot of GSDs living 14-16 yrs in great general health it is compelling.

I didn't post this for my benefit; it was asked for!

Lonegun1894
07-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Tygar,
Thank you. I appreciate the advice and recipe. I try to feed mine as close to a natural diet as I can, and, now don't laugh too hard, but for the most part, I eat EXACTLY what they eat. Now a lot of the foods are cooked, for example pork and chicken, but I am slowly moving toward cooking less and less. THey get a mix of meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, etc, just like they would in the wild. I feel better, and they're healthy and have had no major medical problems, so it works for us humans too. Now I do feed them a variety of things, and various dishes instead of the same thing every time. I mean, it may be a meal of mostly meat with some vegetables for breakfast, and some fruit for a snack, and then fish for dinner, and various types at that, but they don't seem to mind.

smokeywolf
07-10-2014, 06:33 AM
tygar,

Was not "denigrating" your diet. You have obviously done a considerable amount of study and we agree that commercial dog food is junk. If your preparation works for your dogs, I would never suggest that you should alter it.

However, as I have also put in thousands of hours of research into the dietetic, nutritional and physiological needs of dogs, I thought perhaps I was also entitled to render an opinion.

Also, by your statement, "If you think that the scat from a dog eating commercial dog food is less than this diet you are wrong." I think you misunderstood my statement about the results (the scat) from a "raw diet". It is remarkably less than what results from a diet of commercially prepared canned or kibble. It seems to me that on this we also agree.

smokeywolf

6bg6ga
07-10-2014, 06:43 AM
I'n not trying to degrade your diet mix but I firmly believe that a dog can eat off the table if you make sure that certain foods aren't in your diet. Have had a number of German Shepherds in the last 40+ years of having dogs. Have feed them anything from high dollar food to cheaper dog food and some with a mixture of table scraps with their food. The result is I only get 10 years out of a German Shepherd and it doesn't depend on the food given. I feel if food is good enough for the wife and me its good enough for the dog.

What is your dog worth to you? How can you even begin to set a price? I'll take a good German Shepherd over some people.

500MAG
07-10-2014, 09:47 AM
I'n not trying to degrade your diet mix but I firmly believe that a dog can eat off the table if you make sure that certain foods aren't in your diet. Have had a number of German Shepherds in the last 40+ years of having dogs. Have feed them anything from high dollar food to cheaper dog food and some with a mixture of table scraps with their food. The result is I only get 10 years out of a German Shepherd and it doesn't depend on the food given. I feel if food is good enough for the wife and me its good enough for the dog.

What is your dog worth to you? How can you even begin to set a price? I'll take a good German Shepherd over some people.
Our bulldog had nothing but skin problems the first 6 years we had her. We switched her food over to an all fish diet. Her skin problem cleared up and our Vet said she is the second oldest bulldog he has ever seen at 13 and he said she ain't even close to dying anytime soon. He attributes this to us feeding her only dry food her whole life and the fish diet the last 7 years. Now, she does smell like she's been dead awhile. My wife calls her zombie dog.

DeanWinchester
07-10-2014, 09:49 AM
I asked my wife this question after making my post. Her response was "More than you.":shock:

tygar
07-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Tygar,
Thank you. I appreciate the advice and recipe. I try to feed mine as close to a natural diet as I can, and, now don't laugh too hard, but for the most part, I eat EXACTLY what they eat. Now a lot of the foods are cooked, for example pork and chicken, but I am slowly moving toward cooking less and less. THey get a mix of meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, etc, just like they would in the wild. I feel better, and they're healthy and have had no major medical problems, so it works for us humans too. Now I do feed them a variety of things, and various dishes instead of the same thing every time. I mean, it may be a meal of mostly meat with some vegetables for breakfast, and some fruit for a snack, and then fish for dinner, and various types at that, but they don't seem to mind.

Yes, but of course, don't feed pork or bear raw.

We have to fence our garden & not let the dogs on the deck where wife grows herbs & tomatoes. My "carnivore" dogs will strip a garden bare in short order. Some even like citrus, bananas are put up hi or they will steal them. lol dam dogs.

Basically, anything you eat, except for bean family & onion family is usually OK. There are exceptions but just check to see if they are listed as toxic to dogs. e.g. raisins used to be part of the diet, but further study found that they can be toxic, so no more.

When we lived in AK, a good percentage of the meat was fish.

Like others have said, if we eat it (mostly) dogs can also, but this diet provides the proper balance of nutrients, vitamins & minerals. Plus the added fish oil & dog vitamins ensure a super diet, matched to dogs requirements.

Can't say it enough but almost "all" commercial dog foods are junk with "bad" stuff in them.

I have raised, trained & bred GSDs, Rotts, & ST. Bernards since the late 50s & 10yrs was about it on a GSD, 8 on a ROtt & 6 on a St. B. On this diet, I have had ST. Bs live to 13+, Rotts to 13 & GSDs, as I said to 16. So for me, the proof is plain. Healthy dogs that live a long time with few medical problems.

FWIW

500MAG
07-10-2014, 08:00 PM
I asked my wife this question after making my post. Her response was "More than you.":shock:
Women are cold hearted.

Gator 45/70
07-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Thank you tygar, Something that I had not considered and a nice write-up by you.

MaryB
07-10-2014, 10:48 PM
My lab Misty would strip all the lettuce from my garden, along with tomatoes.

Harter66
07-10-2014, 10:59 PM
We fed Purina High Pro for many yrs.....Its not the same feed now that it was then . Our wiemeranners a 65# female and a 80# male that went 14 and 16yr. Their poodle-cessor went 22. My spring-weiler that was a pound puppy and a great hunter and worked her butt off about 7 months a yr went 12 1/2 yr,at 10 1/2 she set her personal best of 17 consecutive water retrives of 35yd chasing a current 100 yds down the beach. The next season was asprin every hunt day night , after October she would only hunt 1 day instead 3....... Her 12th dove season she just lounged her crunchy arthritic hips in the sun most of the day.

Lonegun1894
07-11-2014, 02:04 AM
Funny y'all said that about vegetables as I had to fence my garden too. Without the fence, my dogs would go graze and strip the garden bare, but now I just let them in with me, the three of us just eat what we want, and then the garden gets closed up til next time. Also, I have a food dehydrator I picked up a few years ago and make a batch of banana chips about twice a week, and they love them better than store bought treats, and I know exactly what is in them (bananas, as I don't add anything), and we all just snack on those. Another fruit they really love for treats is mangos, and it doesn't matter if it's fresh or dried. I also make beef and fish jerky for us all to snack on, no preservatives or seasonings added.

Malamute
07-12-2014, 01:25 AM
I've spent some crazy amounts on my dogs when they needed it, the money was never an issue if they needed care. They truly are part of the family, especially living alone. They make me laugh every day, get my lazy tail up and walking around every day, and bring real joy every day. I only have one now, I've had two at a time. When one goes, I tend to get another one right away. I feel it doesn't diminish the relationship with the old friend in any way, and I know theres an awful lot of truly good dogs that need a good person, a new dogs helps fill that huge empty spot and heal the sense of loss. Mine have mostly come from rescues, including a couple that the rescues thought weren't adoptable, but I was persistent with the dogs I met and really liked (I drove 1500 miles to adopt one, and shes been one of my best dogs ever). I tend to buy vehicles with my dogs in mind. When I learned that Suburbans had rear heat and AC, and plenty of room for two large dogs, I've been stuck on them ever since. No more pickups with shells.

Grouse hunting with the current Wonderdog. All my Mals have absolutely loved grouse hunting in the mountains. I think I do it more for them than anything, just to see them having such a blast out doing it.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_5663_zps9c450fb8.jpg

Two of my old dogs out in the mountains,

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/IMG_0321.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/dog16.jpg

Just for fun, a good dog story by Charlie Russell, the Western artist. It's not what you think! When I lose a dog, it always makes me think of the end of this story, and the story always makes me think of how some don't really appreciate dogs, and some obviously do.

The story is called Dog Eater,
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks07/0700941h.html#

smokeywolf
07-12-2014, 02:16 AM
Welcome to the forum Mal. Your boys and girls are just beautiful.

Our Timber is a Wolamute. 110408 Him in the driver's seat of Mrs. smokeywolf's Suburban.

smokeywolf

waynem34
07-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Dont Know whats been said but.My last dog "Littlebit"was a amazing dog.I would have giving my life for that dog if that need ever came about.She was fearless, ferocious,and a good dog.She was a small dog for her temperment and stature.Size does not matter with a good dog.Always been shocked at a dogs intelligence.Saw Littlebit chase a guy one night and the guy jumped on a 12' tall fence and he was about a foot off the ground holding on and could not climb it.Littlebit kept him there till I got there.She bit him couple times.I miss Littlebit.

white eagle
07-13-2014, 09:56 AM
my dog is way more than a pet to my wife and I
he recently had need of surgery and 5,000.00 dollars we got him on the mend
he now needs a special diet and medication for his condition that costs 500.00 a month

tygar
07-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Well, I almost had a chance to spend several thousand $s or bury a dog.

Copperhead right at the bottom of the front door steps.

Good thing I take Gunny out on a leash & use a flashlight at night when I take him out & then let the other dogs out off leash after doing a snake search.

I hate those GD things. He's in a trash bag now, well perforated by 44Mag shotshell.

Shot him 3 times just for GP.

I hate those GD things!

I hate those GD things!

Geraldo
07-22-2014, 10:43 PM
My wife says I love my Lab more than her. I tell her it's equal...at any rate, I'd do anything I could to save him if it came to that.

Malamute
07-28-2014, 02:17 AM
Well, I almost had a chance to spend several thousand $s or bury a dog.

Copperhead right at the bottom of the front door steps.

Good thing I take Gunny out on a leash & use a flashlight at night when I take him out & then let the other dogs out off leash after doing a snake search.

I hate those GD things. He's in a trash bag now, well perforated by 44Mag shotshell.

Shot him 3 times just for GP.

I hate those GD things!

I hate those GD things!

I hate rattlesnakes. Had one dog get bit in the face by one. She came out of it alright, but spent the night at the vet, and wasn't too perky for a week or so. I have no mercy on rattlesnakes if they're anywhere near home, or I see them when out in the hills with the dog. I've had many close calls with dogs. The most recent dog, I had an opportunity to train her with a training collar and a bull snake. Now when she sees a snake, she barks like crazy at it and wont go near it.

silverado
07-29-2014, 08:50 PM
While visiting my parents on Christmas one of my dogs got bit in the face by something. I thought it was my sisters dog but it may have been a snake... she had a baseball sized swell on her face for a few days.

slide
07-29-2014, 09:08 PM
I love The Rott's. The last one we had (Gretchen) was crazy about my grandson. He was about 5 or six when she died. During and after I buried her I was standing there sobbing. He came up and took my hand and said. It's ok PawPaw you still got me. She was one hell of a dog and like all grandchildren he is one hell of a kid.

smokeywolf
07-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Beverly Hills PD had a Rotti for a short time (back in about 1984). They had to take him out of service because he was just plain too smart. His partner/handler was out of the unit late at night on a suspicious pedestrian. While he was filling out a FI card (field interview card) the subject/suspect reached his hand down toward his pant cuff, dog came out of the cruiser, charged the subject and put him down. Officer patted down the subject and found a knife in the subject's boot.

Even though the K9 officer possibly saved his partner's life or that of the suspect, the dog perceived a threat and calculated & carried out a course of action on his own, without input from his handler and was taken out of the field.

Rottis are really wonderful dogs and were it not for the fact that we are lovers of wolfdogs I wouldn't hesitate to adopt one. But, like many of the other more powerful hunting breeds (including wolfdogs), I'm wary of them in pairs or packs.

smokeywolf

10-x
08-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Our current Grey has bone chips in both shoulders from not waiting until the storm door is fully opened, hits shoulders going out and in. We've heard $1,500.00 for indoscopic surgery, he see the Vet next week.

500MAG
03-07-2021, 06:12 PM
Found this old post of mine and I’m happy to report that nearly 7 years later and she is still running the roost.

Targa
03-07-2021, 07:00 PM
279164Very nice!!! I love my dogs thats for sure. Here is one of my three goof balls...

JoeG52
03-07-2021, 07:04 PM
Answer to your original post, I wish I had the choice. I wouldn't hesitate, I still miss her.

lar45
03-07-2021, 07:22 PM
Our Catahula got a new knee for Christmas, torn ACL, scratch $1200 off the budget. The wife really loves that dog.
He's gone on a serious diet so hopefully he won't blow out the other knee.

NY_Treeguy
03-07-2021, 07:25 PM
Our 1 1/2 year old rescue needed leg surgery. Ended up costing about 5k. No hesitation on my part and I didn’t want a dog in the first place. He’s my buddy and the only other option was to put him down.

poppy42
03-07-2021, 07:34 PM
My wife and I paid $1900 so our rescue Bullmastiff could have emergency prostate surgery. This was in the early 2000s! Money well spent that boy was priceless and he lived for 13 years and as far as I’m concerned that wasn’t long enough!

500MAG
03-07-2021, 07:34 PM
Our 1 1/2 year old rescue needed leg surgery. Ended up costing about 5k. No hesitation on my part and I didn’t want a dog in the first place. He’s my buddy and the only other option was to put him down.
Isn’t it crazy how attached we become? It is so true how they say that dogs give unconditional love. I also believe that when we have these things done for them that they know and understand that we are helping them.

Harter66
03-07-2021, 09:16 PM
I had a yearling when this post originated , in 18' we spent most of 3k on her to find she had healing stomach ulcers while we were boxing an loading up for a cross country move .
The desert has no bugs , sure there's a deer tick but at 4000'+ with 0° winters and 105° summers padded with 4.5" of annual rain spiders are a bigger worry . The move to Arkansas immediately , in spite of my best efforts , taught us about fleas an mites . Turns out my work place was just about crawling in fleas and chiggers .

We got her and the house cleaned up , the chewed hair coming back , etc , and we got another batch . We caught it early , medicated . She got very sick , lymphoma , so 9 months after I lost my Dad , 6 months after spreading his ashes we put her down .

The black cat that adopted me at 0300 11/1/08' under a nearly full moon remains today , but is allergic to something in the house now and is patchy at best .

Stupid cat will probably kill me when she goes . When she does that'll be that . I've had 4 dogs , 3 cats and a cockatiel . I don't need any more pets , I've lost enough friends and companions for a lifetime , I have 7 Grands and realistically I'm within 7-8 years of Greats . Any travel is already a hassle . Raising 2 grands and keeping up 2 homesteads just doesn't leave me a whole lot of time for me and pets .

lar45
03-07-2021, 10:19 PM
13 years is an incredibly long life for a Mastiff.

GARD72977
03-07-2021, 10:31 PM
I have a mutt that cost 900.00 in medical bills. I love that dog. He is spoiled

Garyshome
03-07-2021, 10:45 PM
Wayyyyyyyy more then Xibiden!

FarNorth45
03-08-2021, 03:09 AM
Awesome!!! Glad she is still doing good !!! ..
A few months back i had to put my American Bulldog" Zeus " to sleep , he had a huge cancerous tumor in his stomach. Surgery would have been 3000 , but they said he may not make it through and it might be everywhere else also !!! It broke my heart but i new it was the right thing to do , if surgery would've fixed him up i would've done it for sure !!!
Years ago I used to train labs , ran Akc / Ukc hunt test but when i had to put my best hunting buddy "joker"to rest , i lost interest in training dogs and duck hunting ?
My buddy has a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon and I've fell in love with that Dog ...... so now I've saved up $1500 and i am waiting on the litter to be born !!! I'm exicted to train a new family /hunting dog !!! His name will be "Quigley " and should be around the first of June when he is ready to come home with me !!!

Lonegun1894
03-08-2021, 07:14 AM
Thank you all for sharing the above. Too many people don’t understand that dogs are just as much part of our families as humans are. I would do anything for mine, and not just in terms of paying with money. And it means a lot to know that we have a group of your caliber here.

Coopaloop86
03-08-2021, 07:23 AM
My wife came home with a chihuahua because she thought that it was cute that it would fit in a little purse. She immediately began hating it because she had forgotten the fact that puppies require constant attention and work and house training. A year and a half later that little dog goes everywhere with me and sleeps in the bed with us. It amuses most people to see a 6'3" 280lb bearded guy with a 4 pound chihuahua in tow but I would lay down my life for that little dog in a blink. I named her Athena because she has the heart of a 400lb pit bull.

sharps4590
03-08-2021, 07:36 AM
Yeah....I get it. The stories are the same, only the names are changed. Got another "new to me" Siberian Husky about 18 months ago. He was about 18 months old when I got him. My 3rd full blooded Husky since 1995 and 1 half Husky, half Golden in between. That one was Buck.....90 lbs. of great big yellow eyes filled with I love you. This one, Steele, has no competition from other dogs and gets to live in the house and is literally, as a friend of mine calls him, my velcro dog. He is so rotten he should have an odor....and sometimes he does when it's close to his beauty shop appointment.

GhostHawk
03-08-2021, 09:20 AM
2014 I was in a slump, depressed. Wife said you need a dog. One day she emails me from work, open this link and look.279192279193279194

We had problems, issues. The young couple who had him first kept him in a 45" enclosed screened thing.

This is a high activity, high anxiety dog and smart as all get out. So he figured out how to run the zippers and he was getting out late at night, tearing things up. Doing naughty business in naughty places.
He is half Chihuahua and half Pomeranian. But the salsa is STONG in my boy Casey.
It took us a year but we worked most of the bumps out. He still seems to act out once a month or so.
I blame it on garbage from his former owners.

Summer time he goes for runs several times a day. He runs, I drive a little electric scooter. 4-8 blocks once he's back in shape after a winter of laying around. We also have a neighbor with a fenced in back yard. So once a day we'll stop in and let him run and roam to his hearts content. Neighbor has an older black lab.

He's getting older now, starting to show aches and pains in his joints.
Would not trade him for anything.

He barks more than I like, but we know when anyone approaches our house.
My wife has been through some rough back surgery then got infected. Was Septic, an hour from dieing.

When she came home Casey figured it all out right now.
She would be laying on the bed, need something. So she would call my name softly. I would not hear it. But casey would. He would jump up, bark 3 times, then point his nose at the bedroom. Momma needs something, ok I'm coming.
If I did not move fast enough he'd bark again.

14 brands of dogfood I have bought, none of them got eaten twice. Only 3 got eaten once. I know he sneaks some of the cats dry food. Mostly he exists on chicken, duck and beef jerky. Some "marrow bones" Dingo twist sticks with chicken flavor. And whatever he can talk me out of off my plate.

He's starting to have trouble jumping up on bed and couch. So I know his days are numbered.
Don't know how I'm going to go on without him.

He is a pain in the posterior, opinionated, thinks he has the right to the last word, and he uses poop as a weapon.
And I love that little rascal.

dverna
03-08-2021, 11:18 AM
I am too pragmatic to spend a lot of money to keep a pet alive. I love dogs but do not want one again. They can be a PITA...and I do not take losing a dog well. Enjoy visiting my friends who have dogs IF the dogs are well behaved.

We get the occasional dog and cat that gets dumped in the area by folks who want to get rid of their pet. That is really sad. I suspect the coyotes get them.

joe leadslinger
03-08-2021, 02:41 PM
This is my shadow and would be lost without her. The amount I have paid in vet bills is small in comparison to what she has given me in return.https://i.imgur.com/WwbcjJ2m.jpg

bluebird66
03-08-2021, 02:50 PM
Mine are priceless.

abunaitoo
03-08-2021, 05:28 PM
Don't have a Dog, but my Cat is 13 this year.
Knock on wood, she's still doing fine.
We have, in the past with other pet, never hesitated to provide anything medical needed.
Pets are a part of the family.
Sometimes better that human family.

500MAG
03-08-2021, 06:39 PM
My wife came home with a chihuahua because she thought that it was cute that it would fit in a little purse. She immediately began hating it because she had forgotten the fact that puppies require constant attention and work and house training. A year and a half later that little dog goes everywhere with me and sleeps in the bed with us. It amuses most people to see a 6'3" 280lb bearded guy with a 4 pound chihuahua in tow but I would lay down my life for that little dog in a blink. I named her Athena because she has the heart of a 400lb pit bull.

This particular Chihuahua was bought by my wife when her best friend passed from ALS. I said “this is your dog, don’t ask me to feed it or take care of it”. Guess who’s dog it is? Along with the other three. I love them dearly.

500MAG
03-08-2021, 06:41 PM
279222 This is my shadow and would be lost witout her. The amount I have paid in vet bills is small in comparision to what she has given me in return.

Well put.

white eagle
03-08-2021, 09:00 PM
A few years ago, my wife wanted a chihuahua. We already had a bull dog and I told her that if she got that dog I wasn't even going to take it outside, it was all hers. Needless to say, it and the two others she got since then love me more than anyone. The first one just took a hold on my heart I don't know what I would do if something happened to her. Well, last week, she started getting ill. She was feverish and stopped eating. After work, I got worried, and rushed her to the animal hospital. Emergency surgery for pyometra $2100. My wife got upset with me and the whole argument started. When you know that surgery would save her what do you do?

Money is meaningless in these circumstances you want whats best for your friend ,period
we had a similar occurrence with our 4 year old lab his colon flipped,normally it's the stomach that gets torsion but in his case it was the rare colon torsion.We were told that surgery was the only option to save him and that the survival rate was around 4% we did it anyway and 5 grand later we have our beloved dog with us still.He is currently 11 and to the end of his days needs to eat a special diet for his digestion.The vet calls him the million dollar dog,we wouldn't have it any other way

gbrown
03-08-2021, 09:26 PM
We have a 13 yoa lab, pit, Basset mix. Sweetest animal you ever met. We have been spending a lot on him, lately, meds, vet visits, etc. Ok, I'm good with that. I love him and want him around as long as possible. Just love that old guy.

Thundarstick
03-09-2021, 06:27 AM
I've had dogs my whole life, even slept with them most of my life, but in the end they are animals. We have two at the moment and if one came down with cancer, we'd have the vet send him out instead of having him suffer because of our selfishness. My wife has always told me that farm people look at life differently, and look at pets as livestock, I guess she's rite in a way. Having grown up on a farm with livestock on the ground, we had dogs cause massive losses to hogs, sheep, goats, chickens, etc. I couldn't count how many dogs I've sent to where ever bad dogs go, no different than popping coyotes today! I'll never forget the dog advice my Grandfather told my years ago, "boy, if you shoot someone's dog, make sure only you and Jesus know about it, because people will kill you over a dog, and Jesus ain't talking!". Reading this thread and other dog threads reinforce his advice.

The original question was, what's your dog worth to you? He's worth more to you, than he is to me, so treat him that way! Protect him, keep him out of the street, off others property, and out of trouble.

There's a show titled, Fear Thy Neighbor, watch some episodes if you get a chance, you'll be amazed at how many neighbors kill each other over dogs!

Rockzilla
03-09-2021, 12:55 PM
What ever it takes, they are family members. Our baby girl 2 year old Pit mix (rescue) then, needed ACL surgery on her one leg after we got her
4k later for that one, she had to have it on the other leg another 4k, therapy, and all that went with, call us crazy so be it. She is / was worth
every penny, our pets come first what ever they need, they are our kids, we will do what ever is needed. We call her our 6 million dollar Pit.
we got her a brother another Pit rescue have him for almost 5 months now. They are something. The backyard looks like a dog toy "boneyard"
balls, Kongs, bones, etc.. when it snowed they would be out digging in the snow for them. But once again our babies, family members.Spoiled
rotten, Marley, she sleeps in bed "under the blankets" Gherico comes back latter, tries to fit between everbody, I end up leaving as they all push
me out of bed. Oh well....

-Rock

kerplode
03-09-2021, 01:10 PM
For me, it's about quality of life. I'd spend any amount if it meant that my furry buddies would recover and return to a normal life.

I'd think twice about it, though, if I'd just be putting them through more pain and suffering...I wouldn't make them suffer simply to delay the pain of not having them around. That day is going to come regardless, and I love them enough to let them go when it's time.

03-09-2021, 01:19 PM
I love my Shepard and think more of it than I think of most people.

Gator 45/70
03-09-2021, 06:42 PM
Belle is the Lab 10 yrs old ,
Evie is the terrier mix that we rescued 5 years old,
Bootsie butt is the Longville trash cat I jumped a ditch and caught her @ less than a pound, She now weighs in @ 13 #s
Can't upload picts for some reason?

William Yanda
03-09-2021, 08:02 PM
Last July my wife spent a grand on a 13 year old cat. I would have pulled the plug sooner, but you know the saying, If Mama ain't happy.........

Lead pot
03-09-2021, 08:24 PM
You just don't put a price on Family.

Texas by God
03-09-2021, 11:22 PM
My Blue Heeler Floyd and Aussie Shepherd/Heeler/coyote mix Pepper were being chased by the cows the other day.......it was hilarious.
Just last fall we lost Buster- 60 lbs of Walmart parking lot puppy at 14 years old. He was a laid back lazy sleepy guy- probably why he lasted so long. I'm a dog person, I serve a couple of yard cats here but they won't be buried under the big pecan tree like our dogs are. They are family.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

SeabeeMan
03-09-2021, 11:42 PM
I've put more money than I care to admit into pets over the years. A cat that was diagnosed as diabetic at 1 year old, we got him through another 12 years after that. He was my wife and my first pet together after getting married, little bugger was stationed out in California with us and traveled in the back of the car to Wisconsin when I got out. Best road trip buddy ever!

Shortly after getting out we got a 3 year old rescue Shiba Inu. Everything from tooth abscess' to pancreatitis, and a special diet for 7+ years following that latter.

Our current dog is a 100lb Husky/Golden mix who is my kids constant companion. He's their watchdog and if they're outside and anything comes within a half mile of the house, he's on alert. And he's going ballistic if somebody is in the driveway until one of us greets them, then he is the biggest sweetheart in the world. I know there's a dollar amount we'd have to start weighing options with at some point, but it's gotta be pretty high up there. I'd put a dent in savings for that bugger.

Lloyd Smale
03-10-2021, 05:33 AM
My last dog (before the one i have now) got into the neighbors trash and swallowed a bear bottle cap that plugged his intestine. We payed 2200 bucks to have it taken out. I didnt bat an eyelash. there was not even discussion on it. I ended up selling one of my 475 linebaughs to pay for it. Would have sold every gun in the safe if needed. Would do it for the one we have now too. Its good to see so many here that agree with me. If you dont you have no business having a pet.

rondog
03-10-2021, 06:30 AM
Recently adopted this 8 y.o. Beagle in November, a local breeder retired him from stud duty. He's the sweetest dog I've ever known, the perfect lap dog I've always wanted. Name's Snoopy.

The black marks on his face are where he was bit by a rattlesnake when he was a wee lad.

Lloyd Smale
03-11-2021, 05:25 AM
got to love a beagle. Anyone who wouldnt fall in love with a beagle pup has no love in them. I grew up with at least 2 beagles in the family.

rondog
03-11-2021, 05:52 AM
got to love a beagle. Anyone who wouldnt fall in love with a beagle pup has no love in them. I grew up with at least 2 beagles in the family.

Agree! He's #3. I'd have a whole herd of 'em if I could.

OS OK
03-11-2021, 08:17 AM
What's your dog worth to you

They are worth more to me than most people I know!

https://i.imgur.com/Zr3Rd4D.jpg?2

remy3424
03-11-2021, 08:48 AM
A farm kid here, not quite on the same wavelenght with most of the replies here. I will not need to get a pet for companionship, my dog, is my dog, and he earns his keep for 3 months of the year. I am not buying any dog that does't hunt, just don't need that....no need for any cats. Guess we are wired quite differently...and we won't ever quite understand the other. If my dog needs an excessively expensive treatment, I would consider many things, including the cost, the animal's age, chance of success and its abilities.....this crowd will say that is cold, I might think you are plum crazy. These are pets to me and not people, even though they think they are people.

dverna
03-11-2021, 09:31 AM
A farm kid here, not quite on the same wavelenght with most of the replies here. I will not need to get a pet for companionship, my dog, is my dog, and he earns his keep for 3 months of the year. I am not buying any dog that does't hunt, just don't need that....no need for any cats. Guess we are wired quite differently...and we won't ever quite understand the other. If my dog needs an excessively expensive treatment, I would consider many things, including the cost, the animal's age, chance of success and its abilities.....this crowd will say that is cold, I might think you are plum crazy. These are pets to me and not people, even though they think they are people.

You are not alone. Love dogs, but they are dogs. They will die to protect you without hesitation....but they are dogs. Many people in this world need them to fill a void...nothing wrong with that. We all need unconditional love.

I want a dog, but not the hassle of owning one or the pain when it dies. Been through that three times. Admire those who will go above and beyond for their furry buddies...it is not how I am wired.

I have seen the other extreme living here in the country. Got to know the local leader of a prominent group of bear hunters. He has about 12 dogs and will take a dog that can no longer hunt and put in bullet through its head. Heard of young dogs that would chase deer instead of bears "disposed of". I could not do that.

When most owners here face a large vet bill, some will take their dog into the woods for one last run, while others will ask a friend to do it. Poor people cannot afford to save a pet without hesitation. Do not agree they should not own a dog. Their dogs get to play with kids, love a bunch of crazy humans, and enjoy life for the few years God has given them.

lksmith
03-13-2021, 04:17 PM
So far, my current one, ~$700. His brother $12,000, still paying on it and lost him, but I'd never forgive myself if I didn't try since he was only 9months old at the time

Physics
03-14-2021, 12:49 AM
Somehow I have ended up with 3 and I'd do just about anything for them. Two are rescues and the other is an adoptee.

Given how much I spend just to hire a sitter when I go out of town overnight, I doubt I could tell you the limit of what I'd spend to save them.

Some things aren't for sale, and other things can't be bought. My dogs have made me their human and I promised each of them that I'd be their human right up to the very end.

MisterStyx
03-14-2021, 07:39 PM
I don't have a price limit. If I can afford it, I pay it. If I can't, I don't.

It has to be worth it though. IE, lifesaving surgery as opposed to delaying the inevitable.

I love my pets like they are family, and I will spend the money I have, but I won't go into debt.

hwilliam01
03-17-2021, 06:59 PM
I think this says it....
Who loves you more, your dog or your bride?
Here's a little test, take them both for a ride.
Twenty to thirty minutes around town in the trunk will do.
Open the trunk and see who still loves you.

I'd sell my house if I had to!

WinchesterM1
03-17-2021, 07:03 PM
I dunno about $250 each for AKC beagles lol I love those little farts279748

lightman
03-17-2021, 08:15 PM
I spent $600 on a free cat. We adopted a little ball of fur with blue eyes that would fit in the palm of your hand. Right off, she got sick and needed surgery. She was 16 years old a few days ago and every day has been a blessing of some sort. I made a living climbing poles and I have pulled splinters out of my arms with my teeth and worked on stuff in the dark and the rain that can kill you. But I'll probably cry like a baby when She dies.

Plate plinker
03-17-2021, 08:16 PM
Last check a little bit north of $10k

fatelk
03-18-2021, 12:16 AM
You are not alone. Love dogs, but they are dogs. They will die to protect you without hesitation....but they are dogs. Many people in this world need them to fill a void...nothing wrong with that. We all need unconditional love.

I want a dog, but not the hassle of owning one or the pain when it dies. Been through that three times. Admire those who will go above and beyond for their furry buddies...it is not how I am wired.

I have seen the other extreme living here in the country. Got to know the local leader of a prominent group of bear hunters. He has about 12 dogs and will take a dog that can no longer hunt and put in bullet through its head. Heard of young dogs that would chase deer instead of bears "disposed of". I could not do that.

When most owners here face a large vet bill, some will take their dog into the woods for one last run, while others will ask a friend to do it. Poor people cannot afford to save a pet without hesitation. Do not agree they should not own a dog. Their dogs get to play with kids, love a bunch of crazy humans, and enjoy life for the few years God has given them.

I have to say I agree with you in nearly every word you wrote. I'm not a dog person, never have been. I know many of you all will judge me for that, but it's just how I am. I grew up on a farm and a dog was a farm animal. My dad was more of a dog person than I am, and the dog was his valued friend, but still a dog. It hurt him deeply whenever he had to put one down, but he never would have spent an inordinate amount of money on one. The dog we had during most of my growing up years was a beautiful collie. She was my companion on many walks and adventures, whether rounding up the cows for milking, or wandering through the woods. I was deeply affected when she died, but it was nothing like the loss of my father last year, not even close.

A good friend of mine once told me that his dog meant more to him than most children do to their parents. Years later when he had children of his own, he told me that he understood things a bit differently. He was crushed when his dog died, but he couldn't even imagine losing a child. My wife and I were talking about that, and I said Imagine seeing one of our kids standing in the middle of the road with a truck bearing down. You could save them but certainly die in the process. Would you? Absolutely, without hesitation! Imagine the dog in the same situation. Would you? Sorry, no. It would be tragic, and hurt terribly, but I can't imagine that many people would die for their dog, no matter how much they love them.

Please don't take this as anything against those of you who see things differently; it's just how I am. Dogs are wonderful companions, loyal and loving to the ends of the earth. I have absolutely nothing but respect for those of you who love your dogs and will do anything for them.

On a related note, my teenage daughter got a puppy a little over a year ago, a border collie mix. He's a good dog and the kids love him. There is one problem, and he's in the proverbial doghouse today. We have chickens and he's always trying to get at them. She has worked with him to try to break him of that, to no avail. These chickens are more pets than anything else, and the kids absolutely love them too. One of them got out of the coup today, and the dog killed it. My son was especially furious (it was his chicken) and wanted to hit the dog. We stopped him, told him the dog was just doing what comes naturally - that instinct is powerful.

Anyone know how to stop a dog from killing chickens?

blackthorn
03-18-2021, 12:48 PM
Stopping a chicken killing dog is really hard. My Dad got rid of a couple of dogs for that very reason, but one time he took the chicken and tied it under the dog's chin and let the dog drag that dead bird around for three or four days. It worked!

OS OK
03-19-2021, 01:14 PM
https://i.imgur.com/tFERwgP.jpg

(thanks Jimbo!)

Lonegun1894
03-19-2021, 01:42 PM
https://i.imgur.com/tferwgp.jpg

(thanks jimbo!)

very nice!!!!

Duckiller
03-19-2021, 02:37 PM
The prior stories make me feel better. In the first two months of this year I have spent $1000 on a cat that died and $1000 on a sick Chiwawa mix. Dog is doing fine but granddaughter may have taken her from me. Dog is staying with my son while I complete my move to Oregon. 9 month old granddaughter and dog have become good friends.

MOshooter
03-22-2021, 01:47 AM
I get way to attached to my K9 members
I lost a Lab, it took 5 years after I lost that Lab, and the unexpected passing of my Dad before I found another buddy. I found Axel less than 2 months after the passing of my Dad,I don't know what I would do without my boy Axel.
He's the best,a very gentle giant weighing 112 pounds and so good with our 3 year old grandson.
We had a costly trip to ER after he tried eating the TV remote when he was a puppy, nearly scared Dad to death!

echo154
08-10-2021, 12:14 AM
I was a K-9 handler for 14 years (2 partners) and I never trusted a human partner like I trusted them. I was fortunate enough to be sent to Germany to train with my first one. He was an extremely hard dog....I have the scars to prove it:shock: but I would take another like him in a heart beat.....he saved my life twice...both times taking down an armed suspect! No money in the world could replace them!!!!!!!!!

echo154
08-10-2021, 12:17 AM
As an add on.....I wouldn't have a K-9 that didn't test his handler:awesome:

David2011
08-13-2021, 03:34 AM
It's tough when one gets sick. We paid several hundred dollars for cancer surgery one one back in the '90s and still had to put her down eventually. The one we just adopted 2 months ago, in the "Possum" thread is part of the family as much as if we had her for years. It's hard to put a price on the little critters for health care. This one was a "free dog" because her family could no longer keep her. We've spent $500 or more on her already for a vet checkup, heartworm/tick meds and general stuff we wanted to get for her. She won't play with the toys we got her so not much spent there. She would rather chase squirrels than play with toys. She has never offered to bother a thing that wasn't hers; not even a piece of paper.

Finster101
08-13-2021, 12:05 PM
For me it's not about the money. How do you explain to an animal that the treatment they are going through is for their own good. I've done it if the prognosis is very positive. I can't see putting them through a lot of pain and feeling like crap when the odds are you are going to lose them anyway. It doesn't seem fair to them.

gbrown
08-13-2021, 07:08 PM
I spent a lot of money on my best buddy, Joey, in the last year. Meds, procedures, visits. Don't know how much, don't care. Lost him a week ago. My heart still hurts, I'll get over it, but it will take a while. Sweetest, most lovable dog you could have. We put him down, he was surrounded by his family, loving on him.

Shanghai Jack
08-13-2021, 07:46 PM
If you gonna live with em you gotta take care of them.

One of my pups had a eyeball knocked out - prosthetic eye UC Davis vet school
Hip replacement for another - Texas A&M vet school
Heart worm treatment (mother didn't give preventative while I was deployed) University of Iowa vet school

That doesn't even take in account vet visits, shots, vitamins, tooth cleanings . . .

Spent enough for a small car - and would do it again in a heartbeat,

sigep1764
08-13-2021, 08:25 PM
Fell in love with my Grandparents English Bulldog. Had to have one of my own. Breeder called me about a year later and sent a pic via text saying I had my pick of the litter. She said she had bred them with a mistake stud. I had my suspicions that the Grandparents were behind it but I played along. I got an all white female and we named her Sugar. Grandpa wanted to name her Cocaine, but the girlfriend, now the fiancé, said there was no way her name was gonna be mentioned on a cell phone if it was that. Anyway, she's been my friend now for 6 years. Not the problem child that folks make bullies out to be. She's been pretty healthy, save for the ear infection and small surgery she just had today. Completely worth the effort, fun, love, and protection she gives. Im sure theres a limit to what I'd spend to keep her, but I haven't found in yet. 6 years later, she's my girl. I don't have kids per se in the human sense. But she's mine and I aint giving her up if I have the choice.

sigep1764
08-13-2021, 08:28 PM

The day I brought her home

David2011
08-14-2021, 01:40 AM
I spent a lot of money on my best buddy, Joey, in the last year. Meds, procedures, visits. Don't know how much, don't care. Lost him a week ago. My heart still hurts, I'll get over it, but it will take a while. Sweetest, most lovable dog you could have. We put him down, he was surrounded by his family, loving on him.

So sorry. At least we’re blessed with a lifetime of memories when they’re gone, as much as it hurts for a long time.

richhodg66
08-14-2021, 10:09 AM

Agree with this. A while back I rescued a kitten that was looking like she was going to be blind, eyes just looked awful. Mentioned it on here and some turd told me to kill her. Yes, there are despicable people out there, fortunately not many on this site.

In the end, it didn't cost too much to get her healthy and she's a lot of fun now. The vet was really surprised she can see, even called it divine intervention when I took her in for her last check.

I was ready to spend a lot of money to do the right thing for her, turned out I didn't have to. Had a shi-tzu for years who I had to drop a few thousand on, never hesitated and he lived a good life for many years afterwards. If you're an even remotely decent human being, you take care of your pets.

samari46
08-15-2021, 12:04 AM
Had a North American pit bull terrier I named Bob. No way anything like the breed. Just a big lovable mush. Loved to sleep on the couch with the wife and in her bed. When she wasn't home he'd sleep on my bed. Sadly hip displasia and cancer was making his life miserable. Hardest decision we ever made was to put him to sleep. So ever time I go in the living room still expect to see him sleeping on the couch. He made 11 years old which is longer than normal for the breed. Hardest thing now is to type this as me and the wife miss him terribly. Rest in peace Bob you are missed. Frank

Shanghai Jack
08-15-2021, 08:04 AM
Dog's are a gift from God. Is it any wonder that God spelled backwards is Dog.

Wag
08-15-2021, 10:57 AM
I have five little chihuahua mixes. They are my children. I don't think about it too often but there will come a day when they will pass away. My heart can't take the thought. When it actually happens, I'll be devastated.

And they're a blast to have around!

All of them are rescues and I think they're all about nine years old so they're going to end up leaving me about the same time, I'm sure. Probably in the next 8 to 10 years.

I can tell you one thing for certain: I like my dogs more than I like people.

--Wag--

444ttd
08-15-2021, 02:50 PM
the yorkie knows who the master is...........

yes Master, i'll scratch you.

https://i.imgur.com/NFOBCrx.jpg

iomskp
08-15-2021, 07:55 PM
Simple answer I couldn't put a price on them.