PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of brass framed Navy Arms revolver?

Maven
09-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Saw an unfired replica of the Griswold & Gunnison (.36cal.) at a reasonable price the other day. As my mind isn't made up yet, is there anything I should know about brass framed revolvers? Btw, I believe the original was brass framed as well. Thanks in advance!

Blackwater
09-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Maven, I've read some reports that warn that those frames may stretch, but a buddy had one back in his old college days to shoot rabbits with in the headlights of his car when he, some buddies and their gal pals went to the river for a weekend's fun and games. He fed them pretty well with it back then, and he had it a long time. He finally got rid of it years later, still working and shooting fine, and has lamented letting it go ever since. I'm not sure if it was the memories associated with it, and the meals it provided, or whether it was its Confederate history. I suspect a combination of both.

One example doesn't give you much of a pattern to go on, but maybe it'll help with a few more? I sure wouldn't push that brass frame if it were me, and I think I'd shoot real black in it exclusively, but that's maybe just me?

They sure do LOOK fine, don't they?

Buckshot
09-14-2005, 03:12 AM
...........Many long years ago a buddy bought one. Looked like a '51 Navy but it was in 44 cal with rebated cyl. It DID eventually shoot loose. One in 36 cal might last a lot longer (his lasted a couple years) or even not be affected at all? Lots of different brass alloys out there and his was for sure a cheapie.

..............Buckshot

jethrow strait
09-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Maven, Sounds good to me as a target gun, and something a little bit less common than the brass-framed Rem '58s I have. Been shooting them for nearly ten years now---first in Kowboy Plainesman events and more recently in muzzleloading shoots and just plain plinking---and mine are 44s, but beefed up a bit by the top strap. I have an iron version of same, but don't shoot it as much. I just just like the heft and feel of the brass-framed ones.
Being as I don't feel the need to load em up with more than 25-30grains of black, I doubt that I have stressed them much.----------jethrow

KCSO
09-15-2005, 12:45 PM
If you stick to a reasonable load and keep it clean the brass framed Navy 36 will go about 7500 rounds before loosening up too much to shoot. This is based on one we re furbed for a long time black powder shooter. His dad gave hi the gun 30 years ago and he shot it till it got loose around the base pin. The 7500 round is his estimate of the rounds fired. He had the gun sighted for 18 grains of FFFg and used it for plinking and hunting rabbits. We fixed the loose base pin and re set the gap and the gun is back in action. The 44's will shoot loose some quicker and if you load all the powder you can you wil shoot a 44 lose in as little? as 700 rounds.

Dick Dastardly
09-22-2005, 02:02 PM
We see a lot of C&B pistols at SASS matches. The shooters love them and they get shot a lot. Since these never were "Magnum" revolvers, there's no reason to tease the dragon with stout loads. Properly loaded, as stated in the previous post, they will go a very long time before any work is needed. And, they can be tightened up as also previously stated.

Probably more C&B revolvers are lost to rust than any other cause. Be careful with your cleaning and keep 'em dry and your grand kids will enjoy 'em some day.

DD-DLoS