PDA

View Full Version : barrel pitting-newer Taurus 38 special

sk69
07-03-2014, 04:16 PM
I have a question . My relatively new Taurus 85 ultra light has a small pit in the barrel just ahead of the forcing cone . It could have been there for a few years. I just started reloading cast the last eight months. Before only shot factory FMJ. My question is would cast wheelweights or purchased cast projectiles cause this? I doubt it . I have a twenty plus year old Taurus 357 I have shot all types of stuff through and it still looks new.

nhrifle
07-03-2014, 04:21 PM
I can't see lead of any kind causing this as it's too soft. Are you positive it's a pit and not a bit of fouling or jacket material left in there? Also, do you carry this pistol? Carry arms can sometimes benefit from a little extra attention now and then as they pick up salts from the body.

dubber123
07-03-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm sure it was there from day 1, we sometimes just don't notice things like that right away. No way on the WW boolits causing it. I've only seen bores polished/improved by shooting lead.

sk69
07-03-2014, 05:17 PM
I believe it's a pit but maybe from when it was made. I was thinking of sending to them to look at. I do carry this but not very much. It usually sits in glove box or in safe. Probably from manufacturing and I only noticed now because of borelight and magnifying glass.

sk69
07-03-2014, 05:36 PM
I don't think it could have happened from cleaning. It's a very short barrel so who knows. They at Taurus want to have it sent in. I don't believe it is worth it.

tazman
07-03-2014, 06:02 PM
If it takes a magnifying glass to see it and the gun continues to shoot well, I wouldn't be concerned about it.
Just check it from time to time and see if it gets worse.

Beesdad
07-03-2014, 06:41 PM
I don't think it could have happened from cleaning. It's a very short barrel so who knows. They at Taurus want to have it sent in. I don't believe it is worth it.
If Taurus will pick-up the shipping charges both ways I would send it back... If it's not causing any performance problems I don't think I would invest a lot of effort and money on returning it.

sk69
07-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Appreciated everyone.

TCLouis
07-03-2014, 07:53 PM
I sent a Charter Arms Bulldog back to the factory unfired because of the chunks missing in the barrel.

QA must have be on holiday.

sk69
07-03-2014, 07:57 PM
It probably has always been there. I dont shoot it as much others. I also believe many manufacturers are cranking out so many their quality does slip some.

Crash_Corrigan
07-03-2014, 08:04 PM
I picked up a SMLE 303 a few years ago. I finally got around to shooting it and the rounds made a shotgun pattern at 20 yds with most yawed. I took a good look in the barrel and found a chunk missing in the middle. I put that puppy away in the back of the safe and I am awaiting a newer version at my FFL's. This one is another internet find but cost me about the same....$200.

I kinda have a soft spot for decent WWII military rifles. I have a Garand, a Mauser rebarrelled in 6.5x55MM, a commercial Mauser in 8x57 and my beloved SMLE. I let an Eddystone 30-06 slip through me hands a few years ago. I have always regreted that mistake.

sk69
07-03-2014, 08:22 PM
I have a few mosins and a k31, lucky so far. Some pitting in one mosin the others look really good.

44man
07-04-2014, 07:43 AM
I would not worry about a small pit. If it shoots OK, that's what counts.