PDA

View Full Version : Length of cast bullets?

Idz
07-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Does anybody have a table of the length of cast bullets?
Most load data shows COAL but doesn't give a seating depth or bullet length. Since the chamber pressures are dependent on seating depth not COAL it makes it difficult to compare loads.
Lee provides some information and some can be found in the Quickload data tables but others (Lyman, RCBS, etc) provide no information on their casting molds other than weight and diameter.
Anybody know where such bullet length information may be found?

thanks

kenn
07-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Most load data shows COAL but doesn't give a seating depth or bullet length. Since the chamber pressures are dependent on seating depth not COAL it makes it difficult to compare loads.
Lee provides some information and some can be found in the Quickload data tables but others (Lyman, RCBS, etc) provide no information on their casting molds other than weight and diameter.

thanks

http://www.shootforum.com/forum/bulletdb.html

This one is pretty good...

Idz
07-03-2014, 11:21 AM
The shootforum link is just the Quickload database, which is incomplete. Too bad manufacturers, other than Lee, don't want to release info on their bullet designs.

Ed_Shot
07-03-2014, 12:13 PM

thanks

I agree that such a list would be very valuable information, particularly for handgun boolits. Wish there was a sticky here where such info could be compiled.

hickfu
07-05-2014, 11:45 PM
so If the members on here listed there measurement with mold numbers, etc why could not one be done in Cast Pic (for a automated database /excel spreadsheet for download) or some other cast friendly area?

That is a good idea!!!

wallenba
07-06-2014, 12:06 AM
Good idea. That has been a point of confusion with the Lee manual with me. Nowhere does it state the 'style' of bullet. for example, a 200 grain 45 might be a SWC, a RN or even an RFN. With the base all at the same depth, the COAL will be different. Thus pressures will be different.

kenn
07-06-2014, 02:11 PM
There's another easy way - google documents. As long as people are willing to help, a public spreadsheet can be created. Of course some doofus can come along and destroy it... I'll start one. Give me a bit to get it all set up and I'll post a link and create an auto backup of it nightly. If someone wants to host it (cast pics) for instance, they are more than welcome to take the data. It's public domain

kenn
07-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Ok, take a look. I've put up a spreadsheet. If there are enough people willing to contribute, I'll create a "how to" post for using google document's spreadsheet. The only real issue is if someone completely *****s it. I can back it up regularly, but if someone wants to destroy a public document, they can. Any suggestions? Click on the link here to see what I've done so far. Remember that this is a "live" document. More than one person can be editing it at a time so be careful when editing that you don't step on someone else's work if you are using the calculator to average or if you are inserting rows.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OmQMAWiq7c6o-dlDFjH2GjBO8N0OZQ_zcfU8TQECvMA/edit?usp=sharing
(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OmQMAWiq7c6o-dlDFjH2GjBO8N0OZQ_zcfU8TQECvMA/edit?usp=sharing)
Note that it does not sort by default but that can be turned on. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get it to save in "filter view". I'll sort it from time to time but I have a filter view set up so you can sort by any column. You just have to turn it on when you view the doc. Again, if this is something people want, I'll write up a how to use document and if the mods like it enough, they can sticky it somewhere.

Idz
07-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Some of the Lee cast bullet dimensions are at
http://leeprecision.com/instructions.html

also the weights listed in the google doc are alloy dependent so a column for alloy should be included.

It will be great when this document gets info!

kenn
07-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Some of the Lee cast bullet dimensions are at
http://leeprecision.com/instructions.html

also the weights listed in the google doc are alloy dependent so a column for alloy should be included.

It will be great when this document gets info!

Ok, I took that column out but easy enough to put back in... Very little in the way of commentary, people putting data in, or views of the file. Does this need to be a new post titled, "Cast Boolit Database" or something?

frnkeore
07-11-2014, 11:04 AM
I can't get the spread sheet to work. The box high lights but, I can't type in it.

I think a new thread would be helpful, with a title indicating what we are looking for.

Frank

kenn
07-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Done. I've got it in view only at the moment... the reason is that one false data sort can misalign every row and destroy the data. A few stewards that know what they are doing with the sheet might make sense. Regardless, I started a new thread... please visit it and let me know if you think a public free-for-all edit is advisable.