PDA

View Full Version : Anoher newbie question

bobthewelder
01-19-2008, 10:52 PM
I have the Master Caster Lyman outfit, do I need tumble lube moulds or not the tumble lube molds?

Calamity Jake
01-19-2008, 11:11 PM
I have the Master Caster Lyman outfit, do I need tumble lube moulds or not the tumble lube molds?

YES, and NO, what casting setup you use makes no difference,
Tumble lube boolets are for tumble lubing with LLA but the others can be tumble lubed too. :grin:

Buckshot
01-20-2008, 03:26 AM
................As Calamity Jake said.

http://www.fototime.com/68E891AD4F08210/standard.jpg

The Lee 457-340F on the right is NOT a TL design, but it has been treated to a dose of it and then run up through a .452" die for use in a 45 Colt.

...............Buckshot

bobthewelder
01-20-2008, 03:46 AM
Thanks! Did I miss a point? I will be working with .45 Automatic for a 1911-A! variant.

Calamity Jake
01-21-2008, 10:38 AM
"do I need tumble lube moulds or not the tumble lube molds?"

Thanks! Did I miss a point? I will be working with .45 Automatic for a 1911-A! variant.

Boolet type or shape is your choice, or maybe the gun's choice.

Lee is the only maker of TL boolets, there ment to be shot as cast(no sizing) with there LLA on them which should work just fine in your 45 Auto, although you will get a lot of lube buildup in your seating die. magazine and feed ramp.

I much prefer the size and lube design, a little more work( or fun) from casting to loaded ammo, but the outcome is a cleaner boolet with no sticky lube on the nose, although I do TL some boolets, just depends on what I am doing with them and and what gun there shot in.

Marshal Kane
01-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Bob,

You are not "locked in" to any particular mould. If you think you want to try a tumble lube mould, then go ahead and try it. If you want to try a Saeco, Lyman, RCBS, H&G, Lee, etc. mould, there is nothing stopping you except the size of your wallet. Just make sure you are getting a mould for your .45 ACP with the shape and weight you desire.:-D