PDA

View Full Version : Little Help with the Lyman 457130 "Collar Button"

Trelan
07-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Decided that I wanted to play around with a lighter load for my Marlin 1985 CB. I thought that this little gem would be a fun place to start. ( I may have been wrong???) Was lucky enough that another member was willing to cast some up for me so that I could play with them before forking out the cash for the mold (Special thanks to Mazo Kid).

Now to the problem I have run into. I am using a set of Hornady Custom Grade Dies to seat them. I am just getting the boolits set in just past the lube groove before the die stars crimping the case. I have the seating stem run as far down as it will go. Anyone have any suggestions? (Excluding purchasing another seating die.)

Any help would be great.

w30wcf
07-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Trelan,
Back the die off so that it doesn't crimp in the seating operation. Then place another bullet on top of the one being seated and adjust the seating stem accordingly. That is the technique I have used in the past in seating short bullets.

w30wcf

Trelan
07-02-2014, 06:19 PM
That could work. The other idea that i came up with at work today was to cut a wood plug to insert between the seating stem and the adjustment screw.

country gent
07-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Several ways to accomplish this are as stated above also the wood plug or spacer could be glued in to the stem. Most stems are a standard thread and a allen head bolt could be purchased the head formed to fit the bullet and used. Another way would be to give the plug a couple wraps of maskng tape leaving end of tape above the stem by what youwant to extend it plus a little. coat a bullet with release agent and coat the inside of the tape with release agent. Let dry. mix epoxy ( JB weld works good) fill with epoxy to hieght desired then press the coated bullet into tape to form the nose cup. Let cure for 24 hours.

HeavyMetal
07-03-2014, 10:18 AM
A roll of tin foil has served me well for years as a temporary seater plug when needed!

In this case a ball about large gumball size can be place in the seating die and forced against the plug, it will take the shape of the collar button nose and work well for a time in the end you'll need a custom plug cut for this particular boolit which shouldn't be difficult for any of the memebers here that do sizing dies and such.

You will have to check on that, LOL!