PDA

View Full Version : RPM window ??

Jack Stanley
06-30-2014, 07:40 PM
I just got to wondering today about bullet lubes and centrifugal force . I would think the softer lubes would come off the bullet easier than hard lube . I seems that the effect would be better on bullet stability . Does the idea make sense ? anybody ever worked on that angle much ??

Thanks , Jack

NVScouter
06-30-2014, 07:52 PM
I just got to wondering today about bullet lubes and centrifugal force . I would think the softer lubes would come off the bullet easier than hard lube . I seems that the effect would be better on bullet stability . Does the idea make sense ? anybody ever worked on that angle much ??

Thanks , Jack

Where do you think it would go sealed in the lube groove between steel and lead? Is this another taunt Larry party?

mrbill2
06-30-2014, 07:54 PM
I have heard of shooting through a cardboard tub to see if the lube stays on or comes off the bullet.
I do get lube on the chronograph if I set up too close.

MBTcustom
06-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Yes, the soft lubes jettison upon exit of the crown, and yes, centrifugal force is what makes it go away, and yes, I do believe it is more accurate. The lube is like a sabot. It flies off evenly and the naked boolit is free to travel on in a balanced state.

Harder lubes not only do not work very well, but they stick to the boolit (mostly) as it goes downrange.

Not that I know jack diddly about lube, but I know how it works physically on exit. You can demonstrate this by shooting through a piece of paper. It will be splattered with lube.

Larry Gibson
06-30-2014, 11:10 PM

Thanks , Jack

Makes complete sense and is well documented. Several threads have covered this and I mention it often as on of the criteria to push the RPM Threshold. I've conducted high velocity/RPM tests on numerous lubes (one of the many "variables" I'm accused of not taking into consideration). The ones that purge from the bullet immediately on bullet exit from the muzzle give the best accuracy. Here's a picture I've posted several times regarding this subject. You can readily see the lube splatters all over all 3 screens. Start screen is always 15' from muzzle.

Larry Gibson

BABore
07-01-2014, 05:22 AM
Larry,You wouldn't have so many accuracy issues if you'd move the Chevy out of the way!

44man
07-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Larry,You wouldn't have so many accuracy issues if you'd move the Chevy out of the way!
Had so many problems with a chevy, it is in the right spot! :bigsmyl2: I dare not mention a friends Ford, his driveway is worn away from crawling under it so much!
Larry and Goodsteel are correct, I recovered too many boolits with chunks of hard lube still stuck in places. It is why I love Felix lube.
Jack, you are a little behind because the fact has been preached here forever.
I give a prayer every time I use it, may Felix rest in peace. The greatest loss to us ever.
A moment of silence, PLEASE!

dondiego
07-01-2014, 04:01 PM
I did not know that Felix had passed away!! When did it happen? He always had good stuff to say and was a real gentleman. Did I miss the thread?
Don

bannor
07-01-2014, 04:05 PM
A buddy of mine bought a new Silverado back in 2005, paid like 30k for it. got on some slick stuff and couldn't move. I went to a neighbor's and a $3000 old ford pulled him out. :-) I teased him about it for days. He was hatin' life.

Jack Stanley
07-01-2014, 05:53 PM
I didn't post the thread to start a taunt Larry thread , I think what got it started was seeing LBT blue splattered on my hundred yard target .

Though now that you mention Larry , I did wonder why he mentioned giving some of my Javalina lube stash a good home ;-)

My test bullets are RCBS 22-55-SP using LBT blue . The cartridge is the .223 Remington , at fourteen hundred feet per second even iron sights give good groups and no splatter on the target . Boost the velocity using nineteen and a half grains of surplus 4895 and lube splatter appears . On a warm day with a warm barrel to soften the lube a bit , I can see it leave a smoke trail to the target .

Thanks guys !

Jack

Larry Gibson
07-01-2014, 06:44 PM

Traded it in shortly after...........[smilie=l:

Larry Gibson

PS; on another Silverado!109473

Larry Gibson
07-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Jack

You are sending the Javelina? I'll pay shipping?

:happy dance:

Larry Gibson

Jack Stanley
07-01-2014, 09:38 PM
He he he he !!:-) you are a funny man !;-)

Jack

David2011
07-01-2014, 10:21 PM
I did not know that Felix had passed away!! When did it happen? He always had good stuff to say and was a real gentleman. Did I miss the thread?
Don

We lost him April 22 of this year. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?239640-Who-was-Felix-Robbins-History

dondiego
07-02-2014, 04:37 PM
We lost him April 22 of this year. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?239640-Who-was-Felix-Robbins-History

Thanks for that David. I don't know how I missed that thread. Felix was one of a kind.
Don

MBTcustom
07-02-2014, 10:08 PM
I didn't post the thread to start a taunt Larry thread , I think what got it started was seeing LBT blue splattered on my hundred yard target .

Though now that you mention Larry , I did wonder why he mentioned giving some of my Javalina lube stash a good home ;-)

My test bullets are RCBS 22-55-SP using LBT blue . The cartridge is the .223 Remington , at fourteen hundred feet per second even iron sights give good groups and no splatter on the target . Boost the velocity using nineteen and a half grains of surplus 4895 and lube splatter appears . On a warm day with a warm barrel to soften the lube a bit , I can see it leave a smoke trail to the target .

Thanks guys !

Jack

Jack, was that LBT Blue Soft lube, or hard? There are two flavors.
Thanks

Jack Stanley
07-02-2014, 11:15 PM
I believe it to be the hard but not the commercial grade . I bought it a very long time ago when I think he had three flavors but I could be wrong . I'm sure it's not the soft because I remember the description back then said the soft was the consistency of modeling clay .

Jack

Cadillo
07-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Where do you think it would go sealed in the lube groove between steel and lead? Is this another taunt Larry party?

My bullets actually make it out of the forward end of the barrel. His do also.

Oh the humanity!

mikes2
07-03-2014, 08:57 AM
Where do you think it would go sealed in the lube groove between steel and lead? Is this another taunt Larry party?. Visit the lasc website and read the bullet lube article,,,it explains where the lube goes when squished between lead and steel.

Larry Gibson
07-03-2014, 02:45 PM
A "party" for Larry............

Just bring a good heffy, good Canadian whiskey or good marguerites' and let's party on down...........:drinks:

Larry Gibson