PDA

View Full Version : ROSSI 92 broke down again!!!!!

mainiac
01-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Ive shot 1300 rds threw this .357 rossi, and i broke a ejector in the beginning. Put a new one in,and lightened the spring(would throw brass 15 feet in the air!) then,i broke the firing pin at about 700 rounds. Been shooting it again,testing loads, and today ejector #2 broke! I aint happy about this piece of junk right now!!! I treat it real easy,never John Wayned it, and am wondering if any of you folks have my bad luck with this gun?? When i get another ejector, im not firing it again, and I will trade it for a marlin!!! As many of these that are out there,i dont here of this happening,only me.

felix
01-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Yes, it happened to me too. Upon discovery via destructive methods, the reason is that the breaking parts are too HARD. Replace with winnie parts, or home made ones. I wanted a bigger diameter and longer firing pin, so I had my smithy make a brand new one from scratch. Kept shaving off the pin until no more primer perforations with 45K loads using Federal small pistol. Little or no heat treating. ... felix

mainiac
01-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Yes, it happened to me too. Upon discovery via destructive methods, the reason is that the breaking parts are too HARD. Replace with winnie parts, or home made ones. I wanted a bigger diameter and longer firing pin, so I had my smithy make a brand new one from scratch. Kept shaving off the pin until no more primer perforations with 45K loads using Federal small pistol. Little or no heat treating. ... felix

Felix, are the genuine win parts the same? As you know, they break where the ejector is milled real thin and flat, (pretty near in the middle). If win parts wont fit, then maybe the next one,i will heat it red hot,and let it cool naturally,maybe soften it up? Wish i could find the back end of it,,, I would tig weld it back together, but the back end piece vanishes!

Calamity Jake
01-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Sounds like Rossi has changed steel composition and or heat treat methods. I have 4 of there lever guns, a 357 and 3 45C, the newest about 2 yr's old, all but the later have K's of rounds cowboy shooting thru them and have never broken anything. The newest has about 1500 thru it, no problems. LOL I guess there are lemons in everything.

Bret4207
01-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Go over to Pacos Leverguns site http://levergunscommunity.com/ and ask over there. Nate Jones and some other guys are up on these rifles.

No, the Winchester parts are not ALL interchangable. Griff, who used to post here and still posts at Leverguns, sent me a firing pin from a Winnie to use when my Rossi broke. They're a bunch different. Of course I told Griff I'd send the pin back and now I can't find it.....

mainiac
01-20-2008, 10:12 AM
I beleave this rossi is pretty old, 8-10 years? Anyway,its marked src and has a puma cat on the side. Has blueing on it that is rarely found on factory guns,(very deep,and high polished) and the best part is the trigger, right out of the box,the trigger was completly useable. Wood to metal fit is very very close. Overall, a nice looking gun,,shoots real good also, but i cant keep her running! Maybe ill just shoot it single-shot! Hate to see someone else end up with it!

Bass Ackward
01-20-2008, 11:37 AM
There is usually a reason. Look at the old one for clues before you chuck it. Play CSI.

If you can identify it, you can usually remedy it.

felix
01-20-2008, 12:31 PM
It's the older ones that have the hard metal. There has been enough ******** about it so I think now Rossi has now fixed the problems. Maybe you can get parts from the current importer. They surely would know which "kit" to provide. Mine needs an action job badly. If the gun were not so playful, short 16 incher 357, and accurate, it would have been long gone. ... felix

longhorn
01-20-2008, 07:07 PM
I own a Rossi; stainless, .45 Colt. An absolute piece of junk--maybe the only bad one they every produced? Maybe not. It's bad enough, and evidently unfixable ('smithing has now cost more than the rifle) so I won't even sell it except as parts. Get a Marlin.

Four Fingers of Death
01-21-2008, 06:50 AM
The real old ones had trouble here in Australia, especially the 357s with warmish loads from memory. I never owned one, but a few friends did and they had all sorts of trouble. I'm talking 1980s. I have a 357 that is a few years old and I have put thousands of cowboy loads through with out a glitch, but no hot loads.

Sam Carp
01-21-2008, 07:16 PM
The ejector broke on my Rossi .357, I replaced it but it never was the same.

Sam

mainiac
01-21-2008, 09:44 PM
thanks fellers, at least i know i aint the only one! Hello marlin,im on my way!!!

Blkpwdrbuff
01-21-2008, 11:34 PM
One of the guys I work with bought one in 454 Casull. The extractor broke on the 2nd shot!!!
He had a real hard time getting any parts and NO WARRANTY!!!!!
He finally got a new part but had to do a lot of fitting.
When looking at the old part we noticed the extractor was cut too deep. It was only about 1/16 or less thick right there.
He said he'd never buy another Rossi.

Blkpwdrbuff:castmine: