PDA

View Full Version : Blackberries! MILLIONS of blackberries!!!

oldred
06-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Went to check the wild blackberry crop this morning and was pleasantly surprised! The wild berry crop here in East Tn this year is fabulous to say the least! The last couple of years have been really good with lots and lots of berries but this year, due I suppose to all the rain we have had, the berries are bigger, fatter and juicier than I have can ever remember in well over 50 years of picking wild berries. :razz: I came back in from the field and told (well more like asked nicely :oops:) my wife to "git the buckets, we're about to go berry pickin"! In nothing flat we have picked over 3 gallons of shiny plump wild blackberries and didn't even make a dent in the crop, the cows have blazed trails through the briars and pickin is easy!

So far this year we have had an abundance of Mulberries and red raspberries but unfortunately all that wet weather that I think has made the wild berry crop what it is has at the same time ruined our cultivated strawberries and grapes, the blackrot fungus has already devastated the grapes and they aren't even half grown yet!

quilbilly
06-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Your blackberries are ripe already? Wow. Ours just set fruit.

osteodoc08
06-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Looking good here in NW GA. Lots of rain this year so nice big plump berries. Hoping to pick some tonight

big bore 99
06-30-2014, 12:20 PM
My raspberry bushes here are loaded too here in western N.C. Picking a mess every day.

fastfire
06-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Our raspberry's and black caps are ripe but we have some black berry's that are as big as your thumb all the old growth winter killed.

wabashman
06-30-2014, 01:00 PM
My little brat spent the entire weekend picking berries....and eating them. Anything that was within her reach and ready is now gone.

DougGuy
06-30-2014, 01:21 PM
All our berries here were LOADED this year too! I got a gal and a half of black raspberries out of a little 30" x 8' bed! And the blackberries are so heavy with fruit they are pulling the canes down so they are laying all over. Ridiculously good too!

ph4570
06-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Blackberry wine comes to mind. Sadly our yield has been poor the last several years. Prior years provided enough for all manner of treats including multiple 5 gallon batches of wine.

mack1
06-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Crop is good in sw mo as well but an equal amount of chiggers to go with them.

340six
06-30-2014, 02:26 PM
The drought has not given us any Dates. And when they come in the birds and squirrels get them. Glad to see Ya getting some free Fruit

starmac
06-30-2014, 02:31 PM
COBBLER, I can almost tastet now. lol

R.M.
06-30-2014, 02:32 PM
Wow, ours haven't even blossomed yet, but then the irises are in peak now. Things are slow up here, even me.

SeabeeMan
06-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Wow, hopefully this is a good sign for the upper Midwest! I transplanted a bunch of raspberries this year and am hoping the wild ones will do well. Last year ours got wiped out in one weekend by all the bears.

Daniel964
06-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Went to check the wild blackberry crop this morning and was pleasantly surprised! The wild berry crop here in East Tn this year is fabulous to say the least! The last couple of years have been really good with lots and lots of berries but this year, due I suppose to all the rain we have had, the berries are bigger, fatter and juicier than I have can ever remember in well over 50 years of picking wild berries. :razz: I came back in from the field and told (well more like asked nicely :oops:) my wife to "git the buckets, we're about to go berry pickin"! In nothing flat we have picked over 3 gallons of shiny plump wild blackberries and didn't even make a dent in the crop, the cows have blazed trails through the briars and pickin is easy!

So far this year we have had an abundance of Mulberries and red raspberries but unfortunately all that wet weather that I think has made the wild berry crop what it is has at the same time ruined our cultivated strawberries and grapes, the blackrot fungus has already devastated the grapes and they aren't even half grown yet!

Looks up something called bordeaux mixture. It can be used on grapes, potatoes etc. It helps to keep fungus etc from getting started on your plants. You make it yourself with powdered lime copper sulfate and water. You then just spray it onto the plants.

CastingFool
06-30-2014, 05:57 PM
I just checked our wild blackberries, they are starting to ripen. However, our mulberry trees are loaded. Grandkids eat them as fast as they can pick them (the branches they can reach!)

JeffinNZ
06-30-2014, 06:26 PM
I was out mountain biking in an inland forest a while back and it was berry season. Found a grove of bushes and set the bike down and commenced to chowing down. I must have eaten a couple of pound. Man is was good.

dtknowles
06-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Your blackberries are ripe already? Wow. Ours just set fruit.

Here ours have come and gone.

Tim

GoodOlBoy
06-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Ours are nothing but little knots on the stalks with almost no sugar content in the few ripe ones so far. I mean you TALK about bitter sheesh. So this fall they will all get cut off even with the ground. Harvest will be mild next year but the next year we should have great berries again. I envy you! Man I can almost taste the blackberry cobbler, jelly, and ice cream!

GoodOlBoy

Mod42
06-30-2014, 09:46 PM
Here in NW wisconsin we have about a week before the blueberries are ripe, raspberries have just set blossoms and the blackberries aren't blossoming yet. But the blueberries will be fantastic, lots of berries, and they will be large. My back is sore just looking at them!!

Spruce
06-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Where are all the pictures of these mystical berries? Maybe it really didn't happen, just men dreaming like I am now of cobbler, jam and wine.

jjohn143
06-30-2014, 10:01 PM
I just checked our wild blackberries, they are starting to ripen. However, our mulberry trees are loaded. Grandkids eat them as fast as they can pick them (the branches they can reach!)

i got a ditto on the mulberries, my trees are bowed down they have so many. i haven't looked at the blackberries, but we'll have a bumper crop of black caps and reds this year. For mulberries i use a garden rake and a tarp to harvest, lets you reach up into the tree to shake them loose.

dtknowles
06-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Where are all the pictures of these mystical berries? Maybe it really didn't happen, just men dreaming like I am now of cobbler, jam and wine.

picked these myself

A local fella told me these were Dewberries but they sure look like big black berries to me. In a field they are on runners on the ground. In hedges or brush they climb like a vine.
Tim

Spruce
06-30-2014, 10:15 PM
Now I am dreaming. Thanks for the pic.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-30-2014, 10:31 PM
My transplanted wild black razberries are looking real good this year as well, a bumper crop for sure,,, they be ready to start picking in a week or so. http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Razberries_zps482435b5.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/Razberries_zps482435b5.jpg.html)

I picked some tart cherries sunday night (right after I took these photos), by the looks of the tree, I may be 2 or 3 pounds total this year ...Last year I had a bumper crop of about 20lbs.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/cherries_zpse288cab4.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/cherries_zpse288cab4.jpg.html)

MaryB
06-30-2014, 11:46 PM
Blackberry pancake syrup.... I can taste it now...

AlaskanGuy
06-30-2014, 11:55 PM
We get these.....

Salmon berries..... Either yellow, or red, they are good.... Gunna make wine out of them this year....

109412 109413

They also make wonderful awesome pancakes... :)

TCLouis
06-30-2014, 11:57 PM
Turkeys take care of it for me before I ever think of it.

Fun to watch them pick them in the back yard.

Wayne Smith
07-01-2014, 07:57 AM
We have four quart bags of blueberries in the freezer, have given bunches to the kids, and have another full bush that isn't ripe yet.

crowbuster
07-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Good crop here as well. Always happy to start pickin, even happier when it is over. Freeze got the cherries and peaches, gotta make it up with berries.

oldred
07-01-2014, 09:54 AM
The freeze got our cherries too and I have given up on growing peaches because of Brown Rot, Brown Rot is an insidious fungal disease that will devastate any stone fruit except for tart cherries and is especially destructive to peaches. I sprayed everything available in an effort to save our peaches and nectarines to no avail, out of desperation I even sprayed them heavily with powerful rose fungal spray that would have rendered the fruit inedible in an attempt to eradicate this plague but that too failed and in the end I just gave up. It seems once Brown Rot becomes established in an area there's little that can be done, there are sprays and recommended growing methods but apparently these are pretty much futile as evidenced by my failed attempts and the county agent's agreement of this based on a 100% failure rate of others in the surrounding area.

DougGuy
07-01-2014, 10:05 AM
My transplanted wild black razberries are looking real good this year as well, a bumper crop for sure,,, they be ready to start picking in a week or so. http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Razberries_zps482435b5.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/Razberries_zps482435b5.jpg.html)

Yours are LOADED like mine were! I built a stick frame and stapled bird block netting over mine because the birds will get 100% of them if you don't. I fixed it where the sides are just loose and hanging, you lift up teh bottom piece and lay it across the top to harvest the berries.

I got about a gallon and half out of just this tiny bed you see in the pic, Jon you are going to have a LOT more than that!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/2014%20Garden/DSC02496_zps5b37e4b7.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/2014%20Garden/DSC02496_zps5b37e4b7.jpg.html)

Bullwolf
07-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Our berries are pretty much all picked and done now. A mix of wild black berries from the Ranch, and some thorn-less domesticated boysenberries harvested from the garden. The grapes however are still ripening on the vine.

Makes it hard for me to take a picture of the black berries, because they have been turned into blackberry Jam in jars now.

Have harvested about 6 full 1 gallon zip lock bags of berries this year.

The family gets together and we make Jams and Jellies out of the fruits, and occasionally even blackberry syrup.

- Bullwolf

Bullfrog
07-02-2014, 06:55 AM
We have tried to grow them here and it is just too dry and hot. In Washington state they use darn near flame throwers to destroy them because they are so noxious. I wish I had that problem because I love a good cobbler. Berries here in the grocery stores are 5 dollars a pound :(

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-02-2014, 07:25 AM
Yours are LOADED like mine were! I built a stick frame and stapled bird block netting over mine because the birds will get 100% of them if you don't. I fixed it where the sides are just loose and hanging, you lift up teh bottom piece and lay it across the top to harvest the berries.

I got about a gallon and half out of just this tiny bed you see in the pic, Jon you are going to have a LOT more than that!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/2014%20Garden/DSC02496_zps5b37e4b7.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/2014%20Garden/DSC02496_zps5b37e4b7.jpg.html)
Great looking frame.
I just dance with the birds ...I get some , they get some :)
although I wish they'd drop there purple poop elsewhere ;)

oldred
07-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Berries here in the grocery stores are 5 dollars a pound :(

I'm RICH!!!! I have at least a million dollars worth, lol, now all I need to do is get them all picked! :mrgreen:

MaryB
07-02-2014, 09:22 PM
One of my favorites over waffles and on no bake cheesecake(I can post recipe in food section if interested). I simmer the berries wit a little sugar to make a lumpy syrup then serve it over this cheesecake from the fridge. Very good on a hot day and I always requested it for my birthday instead of cake.

We have four quart bags of blueberries in the freezer, have given bunches to the kids, and have another full bush that isn't ripe yet.

Sweetpea
07-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Mary, I'd love that recipe...

jjohn143
07-02-2014, 09:43 PM
nice looking blacks!
here are our summer Reds, in a week or so we will be a pickin
here is what the Mulberry trees look like this year

mold maker
07-03-2014, 02:25 PM
The blackberries are huge, sweet, and plentiful here, but there are a doz chiggers guarding each one, and they're good at it.