PDA

View Full Version : Overweight Boolits.

MO Fugga
06-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Good evening, everyone. New loader here, and I cast several hundred boolits awhile back, and finally started loading them today. They are .401, 175gr Lee tumble lubed with straight alox (with the tiny bands, 6 cavity, waterdropped, cooked at 750 degrees, per PID), unknown alloy. The diameter was spot on, and they look good, other than the occasional wrinkle on the nose. The 2 dozen sample I weighed on a Dillon D-Terminator ranged from 181ish to 187.8! Most were 183.9. Is this normal? These are intended for being plinkers for 10mm in a G20. I am running them with no gas check, atop only 7 grains of 800X at 1.260" OAL. Thanks!

243winxb
06-28-2014, 10:51 PM
Normal for a high percentage of lead.

MO Fugga
06-28-2014, 10:53 PM
Thank you. They were round, layered scrap ingots from the recycling center. No telling what's in it. Seems fairly soft.

DrCaveman
06-29-2014, 01:27 AM
I dont load 10, so cant say exactly for sure about that mold, but i can tell ya that most of my molds drop a bit heavier than advertised. Usually around 5-8% heavier, to be more precise, but even that varies from pot to pot.

I just weigh my samples, and look for load data from there. It never matches up 'exactly', but it works...when i do my part as far as load workup.

You might consider dumping (remelting) the heaviest and lightest from the batch. As for the rest, use starting data for 184 gr (or the next highest in the books) and go from there

MO Fugga
06-29-2014, 02:43 AM
I dont load 10, so cant say exactly for sure about that mold, but i can tell ya that most of my molds drop a bit heavier than advertised. Usually around 5-8% heavier, to be more precise, but even that varies from pot to pot.

I just weigh my samples, and look for load data from there. It never matches up 'exactly', but it works...when i do my part as far as load workup.

You might consider dumping (remelting) the heaviest and lightest from the batch. As for the rest, use starting data for 184 gr (or the next highest in the books) and go from there

Looks like I will require more manuals. I have the Lyman 49, and it only lists 2 loads for that size, without converting data for jacketed 180gr bullets. I still have much to learn.

randyrat
06-29-2014, 05:41 AM
The variation of weight is from the a cooler mold, as your mold heats up the wrinkles on the nose go away and the weight gets more consistent. Consistency is your friend when casting. Save the first 20-40 boolits for plinkin and the rest for more serious shooting or just remelt them later.

You may or may not know this but if you add a harder alloy (Tin, antimony) the weight will drop

For your loading, just load them with 180 grain specs. Your not going to load these right on the edge of a nuke load so you have plenty of a buffer. If you convert keep a buffer in there.

The problem you may have is slightly different diameters from beginning to end of your casting, are you sizing .401 or are they all falling out of the mold at .401 Hopefully the slight different diameter won't give you feeding problems. If your running 181ish to 187 your gonna have some slight difference in Dia...

Have you not heard, you can't shoot lead out of a Glock..Sorry I just had to say that

243winxb
06-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Molds are regulated by a certain alloy blend. Lee uses 10-1 Lead to tin. My old Lyman uses there #2 alloy.
Bullet Sizes & Weights – How to Vary Them
The bullet diameters and weights presented in this list are based on the use of Taracorp’s Lawrence Magnum bullet alloy (2% tin, 6% antimony, 1/4% arsenic, 91.75% lead).

Bullet diameters and weights will vary considerably depending on the lead casting alloy used. This variation can be as much as 1/2% on the diameter, and 8% on the weight among the most commonly used casting alloys. For example, a .358-158 grain bullet might show a diameter variation of .002", and a 13 grain difference in weight.

Of the most commonly used alloys, wheel weights (.5% tin, 4% antimony, 95% lead) will produce bullets having the smallest diameter and heaviest weight, with such bullets running approximately 1/3% smaller in diameter and 3% heavier than bullets cast with Taracorp's metal. Linotype will produce bullets with the largest diameter and lightest weights. This alloy will produce bullets approximately 1/10% larger and 3% lighter than Taracorp. Other alloys of tin and antimony, with antimony content above 5%, will produce bullets with diameters and weights falling between those cast f rom wheel weights and linotype.

Alloys containing little or no antimony will cast considerably smaller than wheel weights and in some cases will produce bullets too small for adequate sizing.

Within the limitations given above, the weight and diameter of a cast bullet can be adjusted by varying the
alloy’s antimony content.

The size and weight of bullets of a given alloy will also vary according to casting temperature. Higher temperatures will result in greater shrinkage as the bullet cools, thereby producing a slightly smaller and lighter bullet than one cast of the same alloy at a lower temperature.
http://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/88-bullet-moulds-charts

MO Fugga
06-29-2014, 01:16 PM
The variation of weight is from the a cooler mold, as your mold heats up the wrinkles on the nose go away and the weight gets more consistent. Consistency is your friend when casting. Save the first 20-40 boolits for plinkin and the rest for more serious shooting or just remelt them later.

You may or may not know this but if you add a harder alloy (Tin, antimony) the weight will drop

For your loading, just load them with 180 grain specs. Your not going to load these right on the edge of a nuke load so you have plenty of a buffer. If you convert keep a buffer in there.

The problem you may have is slightly different diameters from beginning to end of your casting, are you sizing .401 or are they all falling out of the mold at .401 Hopefully the slight different diameter won't give you feeding problems. If your running 181ish to 187 your gonna have some slight difference in Dia...

Have you not heard, you can't shoot lead out of a Glock..Sorry I just had to say that
Thanks, Randy! I did have a few issues seating some of them. While I had plenty of case flaring, a few of them shaved. I have the Lee boolit sizer kit, but all it does is smear the driving bands, so I decided not to use it. I'm not too worried about shooting lead, been doing it for years. After this though, I will be on a stricter cleaning regimen.

popper
06-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Try you pot temp closer to 700F. I got minor leading in 40 with that boolit & LLA. PC and it goes away. Yes, the sizer will knock down the lube grooves but you don't need them anyway. smear the driving bands - don't know what you mean by that. I load to mid range jacketed with no problem but 10:1 alloy doesn't work. IMHO I'd find some COWW (or equal) so you can make a harder alloy, test to see what the 10 likes and then you can also load top end for piggies.

John Boy
06-29-2014, 03:07 PM
I weighed on a Dillon D-Terminator ranged from 181ish to 187.8! Most were 183.9. Is this normal? Your 6gr Bell Curve bullet weights is normal ... Because:
* The pot melt temperature was not held constant ( correct temperature is when sprue puddle frosts in 5 seconds)
* Your pour time into the mold was not constant (should be 5 seconds)
* Your casting rhythm was not consistent
Regardless of the alloy - make these 3 simple corrections and your Bell Curve weights will drop to 0.5gr variance ... If You Do It Right

44man
06-30-2014, 09:36 AM
I have a Lyman .45 mold listed at 325 gr but WW metal drops at 347 gr. No matter at all and they take the same load as the 335 LBT. Weight variations with cast has not proven to be a big problem as long as you work loads.

inspector_17
06-30-2014, 12:04 PM
I use the same mold, using straight coww. Boolits almost always end up 180 -185. Only time I get 175 is when I make homemade Lyman #2. Don't have a Thermometer but have dropped the temp in my casting pot. And I size everyone of them, due to leading problems in the past. May not need to but it keeps me out of the wifes clutches for awile! LOL