PDA

View Full Version : Sizing 7mm down to 270 - How many here do this?

Laredo
06-28-2014, 08:04 AM
I tried one last night. I ran a powder-coated Lee C285-130-R (with gas check) through my Buckshot .278" push-through sizer. Everything seemed fine. As expected, the lube grooves are a bit shallower. I will be trying a few in a .270 Win. soon. I am hoping this works as I have two 7mm moulds and this will save me the purchase of another mould.
I was wondering how many casters here do this with good results?
What other calibers do you size down to?
I would suspect a .309" down to .285" would be easy if a intermediate sizer was used would it not?
One more question;
How much reduction in lube groove can typically be tolerated, say with a powder-coated bullet?
Thanks in advance.

Tatume
06-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Hi Laredo,

I size cast and jacketed bullets to repurpose them to cartridges for which they were not intended. Rifle bullets for the 45-70 make excellent slugs for the 454 Casull. Jacketed bullets for the 375 H&H work well in the 9.3x74R. If they shoot well, shoot them.

Although I don't powder coat, I would imagine any level of lube groove reduction would be tolerated. You're not using the lube groove for anything, are you?

Take care, Tom

ktw
06-28-2014, 08:27 AM
I size the Lyman 287405 (150 gr loverin) down to 280, 278 without any issues.

If you lube the bullets before sizing them down, you won't lose much in the way of lube groove capacity.

-ktw