PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it good to know Walmart doesn't price gauge?

Rainier
06-27-2014, 11:53 PM
First time I've been in a Walmart in a couple of years - Might be my last.

zidave
06-28-2014, 12:35 AM
Had no idea they sold components

Russ M
06-28-2014, 12:49 AM
Apparently some do, some don't. I try to avoid Sleaze Mart as much as possible but our local does sell components. Never bought a firearm from them but have bought powder, primers, bullets, dies in the past.

That pricing is a little silly. Some doofus will probably buy them for that.

CastingFool
06-28-2014, 07:48 AM
I live close to two superwalmarts and a smaller walmart. The superwalmarts only carry BP stuff, but the smaller one does carry reloading stuff, powder, dies, shellholders. Don't recall seeing bullets.

shooterg
06-28-2014, 08:00 AM
That's about right for a box of 250. Some clerk probably sat the box of 100 there by mistake.

kencha
06-28-2014, 08:04 AM
While I may have a strong dislike for Walmart for many reasons, to be fair, that photo is misleading.

That tag is for the 250-count box (9025530502), not the 100-count.

ETA: Oops. Too slow. Looks like shooterg beat me to it.

starnbar
06-28-2014, 08:07 AM
If you look at the scan bar the last 5 numbers are the same so the price is probably right not saying I would buy em at that price but it is what it is.

WILCO
06-28-2014, 08:09 AM
That's about right for a box of 250. Some clerk probably sat the box of 100 there by mistake.

That would be my guess. I'll never understand corporate bashing though. Jobs aren't social programs and Walmart employs thousands of folks who need to earn a living.

Huskerguy
06-28-2014, 08:53 AM
It is interesting how a thread about the cost of some bullets - don't buy them or whatever it is if the price is too high - turns from one point to another. I don't think anyone on here can say they can find ammo consistently at a better price than what Walmart charges. Then throw in other things that a person might accidentally need like food, drugs, clothes, etc. My 84 year old father went to work for them 7 years ago and loves them and working for them. My daughter worked in the corporate offices for several years and while she did not like the corporate life style she was always impressed with the corporate concern for the customer. That is not to say they don't intend to make a profit, that is what any business should be doing although that is sometimes hailed as a mortal sin these days. She would tell stories of corporate meetings in 2008 how they were concerned about their customers at Christmas time and what they could do to give customers the best value for their dollar. I have visited the Walmart museum for old Sam and I look at where he started to where WM is today and frankly I don't think in the current market place that anyone could do that now. If not Walmart then who? Kmart? Aldi? Target? They all have their faults and all import stuff from China - along with Sears, Penny's, Kohl's and the rest. I have a couple local LGS that gouge like crazy on some things - $100 22 ammo- and I just don't darken their door, that is my choice but I don't gripe about them and their business model. I am the consumer, not them. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Bad Water Bill
06-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Sam was a sharp business man.

When they were building a new store Sam purchased almost a 1/2 mile of vacant property fronting a major hiway.

When asked why he said "I will make enough profit off of the sale of my unused property to folks that just want to benefit from being near me to pay for my store,decorating it,completely stocking it etc making my investment 0 out of pocket".

What is wrong with that thinking?

snuffy
06-28-2014, 04:04 PM
My last visit to my local wally world was far from a pleasant one. I needed to visit the rest room as soon as I got there, the stall had a wet floor. No, not pee, the stool was leaking. On of the urinals was taped off, said out-of-order. I never order anything from the urinals, just make a deposit. Trying to wash my hands on the way out, the sink faucet refused to work until I bumped it, then it nearly fell off the sink back. Got a drink at the water fountain outside but was thirsty by the time I got to the back bathrooms, the bubblers there were both taped off.

The place is falling apart! Floors are filthy. They place musical chairs with merchandise, never in the same place two weeks in a row. I like to know where something is from one time to another.

No components at that store, or guns! Very limited ammo, never any .22 shells. I get laughed at when I ask each time I'm there. The same song and dance, we put them out in the morning when we get some, they seldom last more than an hour!

monadnock#5
06-28-2014, 06:53 PM
"Price guaging" is the secret to their success, and all their competitors know it. You'll have to wait for the "lowest price of the season sale" anywhere else to beat Walmarts "every day low price". If you can't find it anywhere else in town though, don't go to Walmart without your sticker shock meds.

If the guys at Sears had followed the same paradigm those two towers in Chitown might still be theirs. Around here, three different incarnations of Sears have gone down the tubes in the last 35 years.

500MAG
06-28-2014, 07:03 PM
What do we care? We cast our own.

kencha
06-28-2014, 07:22 PM
If you look at the scan bar the last 5 numbers are the same so the price is probably right not saying I would buy em at that price but it is what it is.

That 5 digit number on the box is Hornady's SKU. The barcode number is UPC (minus check digit). There is not necessarily a connection between the two.

UPC for 250ct is 090255305029 (with check digit). UPC for 100ct is 090255275131 (with check digit), and appears to be the tag to the left.

Sorry, I don't mean to be so type-A, but it is definitely a tag for the 250ct.

I'm not one to defend Walmart (history of predatory pricing until competition is driven out of business, then increasing prices, and "dirty" deals with the city to keep competitors out, at least in my old hometown. etc), but they're not gouging here. Just a simple mistake, or an employee who doesn't know or care.

LAH
06-28-2014, 07:25 PM
My two local WM are clean and well stocked with loading supplies. Never noticed over pricing here. The manager is probably the difference.

dragon813gt
06-28-2014, 07:34 PM
What do we care? We cast our own.

There are plenty like myself that shoot jacketed bullets as well. When the Wal-Mart by me became a super Wal-Mart two things happened. The store became close to ten times the size of the old one. And the stock selection became about a quarter of what used to be in the old store. W/ little selection I don't buy nearly as much as I used to.

GLL
06-28-2014, 07:36 PM
My bet is that a customer placed it back on the shelf in the wrong location !
Looks like empty spots on either side.

Try buying bolts at a Home Depot. It is a jumbled mess !

Jerry

ohland
06-28-2014, 08:15 PM

$19.94 for 100 rounds, there was a similar Winchester product there as well.

Was at a local gunshop today, $55 for a 1K box of primers. Price gouging, anyone?

500MAG
06-28-2014, 08:17 PM
There are plenty like myself that shoot jacketed bullets as well. When the Wal-Mart by me became a super Wal-Mart two things happened. The store became close to ten times the size of the old one. And the stock selection became about a quarter of what used to be in the old store. W/ little selection I don't buy nearly as much as I used to.
Ok, Ok. I'm a boolit caster and I shoot j-words too. There, I said it.

Bad Water Bill
06-28-2014, 08:39 PM
The ONLY time I entered my local WM was about 10 years ago.

I asked for some GUN OIL.

After several minutes of verbal instructions by the attendant (no sales man would do this) on how deadly guns were I walked out and have never entered since.

From what I have heard they still do not stock anything gun related in that store.

Bad Water Bill
06-28-2014, 09:11 PM
If the guys at Sears had followed the same paradigm those two towers in Chitown might still be theirs. Around here, three different incarnations of Sears have gone down the tubes in the last 35 years.

1975 IIRC was the year the BEAN COUNTERS took over the board.

House cleaning at all levels was the rule.

No longer were dress codes, knowledge of products or customer care important.

Upper management,store and department managers were dismissed as well as employees with less than 5 years of employment.

Rainier
06-29-2014, 12:03 AM
Let's see if I can't make a short story long. My wife decided to attend a fiber show in Moscow, Idaho - spinning and knitting is her thing though she's more then happy to shoot my boolits through her 1911. While she was attending a class I went looking for a few components, some 168gr AMax were on the list. I was advised that the local Walmart carried reloading supplies so needless to say I was surprised when I saw what you see in the picture. I didn't ask any of the Walmart personnel if that was the correct price, I just took the picture and fled like a scalded dog.

On a very happy note I did wind up driving to Lewiston, Idaho and was very pleased to find a fine store called Black Sheep Sporting Goods. They had what I "needed" plus some I probably didn't - stuff just has a way of following you home :)

500MAG
06-29-2014, 07:16 AM
Let's see if I can't make a short story long. My wife decided to attend a fiber show in Moscow, Idaho - spinning and knitting is her thing though she's more then happy to shoot my boolits through her 1911. While she was attending a class I went looking for a few components, some 168gr AMax were on the list. I was advised that the local Walmart carried reloading supplies so needless to say I was surprised when I saw what you see in the picture. I didn't ask any of the Walmart personnel if that was the correct price, I just took the picture and fled like a scalded dog.

On a very happy note I did wind up driving to Lewiston, Idaho and was very pleased to find a fine store called Black Sheep Sporting Goods. They had what I "needed" plus some I probably didn't - stuff just has a way of following you home :)
I've seen pictures of that place on the internet. What a great firearms supplier. I'd go there on vacation just to visit that store.

richhodg66
06-29-2014, 09:32 AM
I've never seen a Wal mart that sells reloading components. I'd like that.

I used to be real down on how Wal Mart has gone (Sam Walton was an Awsome American and his original concepts were wonderful). Lately I've become more accepting of them. I still prefer mom and pop places, but all Wal Mart does for the most part is fair, free enterprise.

I bought a single shot .22 for my son who was eight at the time and didn't like how they handled it, so won't be buying guns from them anymore, but I rarely buy a new gun anyway. As to ammo, they seem to be decently priced when they have it, at least ours do.

I think Wal Mart leaves a lot of decisions up to the individual store managers. Some have FFLs, some don't. Their store, their business

DHurtig
06-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Walmart is a necessary evil. I don't like some things they do, but I can't afford not to shop there. On the other hand, most people completely overlook the entertainment value of walmart. How can you not be entertained by Walmartians in their native habitat. It's like a zoo and a freak show all rolled into one. And to be truly entertained, angered and disgusted all at once, go on the 10th of the month when the state deposits money into all those EBT ( food stamp ) accounts. It's like a freak rendevous. You can marvel at the freak show and then be angered by all the money wasted on soda and junk food. I think the three basic food groups for most people on food stamps are carbonated drinks, chips and anything that can be heated in a microwave. Sorry, I guess I'm getting a little off topic.

Dale

MostlyLeverGuns
06-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Walmart's vary widely due to politics, state law, political correctness. In Cheyenne, Casper and other parts of Wyoming, Scottsbluff,NE stores carry firearms, ammunition, and components with prices at least comparable to local gun stores, quite often better. Most Denver area Walmart stores got rid of firearms. Older stores in failing neighborhoods fade and close or are moved to better locations. Like the Godfather, It is just business.

troyboy
06-29-2014, 12:18 PM
I shop at WM and will continue to do so. I support Sears and K-mart as well. It's nice to live in a country where we have so many choices.

mold maker
06-29-2014, 01:27 PM
When K Mart closed a month ago, the last dept store in the area is just a memory.:| Several grocery stores have followed the death of the down town. :mad:
There are 2 super Walmart stores within 7 miles, and it's another within 3 miles to Target, Kohl, and the only other competition.
Now I don't really like dealing with WM, but I'm not gonna bite my nose off to spite my face.
At 11 MPG, I don't drive even a mile out of the way, when WM is so convenient. (less than 2 miles) They now have a program that matches your receipt against most everybodies advertised prices, and gives you the difference back . They even show you how much you saved.
They are also trying to sell more American products.
Although I haven't been there early enough to get 22 ammo lately, their biz model is winning me over, especially since I have no local choice.
I also save 10-15c/gal on gas right in front of WM using their card.:bigsmyl2: Even if I try, I can't argue with saving money, while living on SS.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-29-2014, 02:01 PM
You can talk of all the positive things about Walmart, Rags to riches, it's the American dream, home town boy makes good, changed the way we shop but as you drive around this country you can't help but see all the little towns that company has destroyed. Small towns used to have appliance stores, bicycle shops, sporting goods stores, tire shops and the list goes on. Now all you see are the little main streets with boarded up windows or at best dept. stores turned into a collection of second hand /junk stores. I think America paid way too high a price for a little lower price and a bit of convenience.

dragon813gt
06-29-2014, 03:01 PM
I know it's different in every area of the country. But all those small local stores are still thriving here. The population is also a lot higher so it makes sense that they would be able to survive. This isn't about Wal-Mart but another big box store. When Home Depot opened up shop across the street from a local lumber yard they HD sent them a dozen black roses. The local yard has expanded that location as well as opening up to more in the area. Home Depot and Lowe's have done wonders for their business. I have a limit on how much I'm willing to save versus buying locally. Try as I might I can't spend $5 more per jug of laundry detergent at the employee owned grocery store. Wal-Mart gets my business for that product. But I will never ever in my life buy food at Wal-Mart. Buy fresh, buy local, know the farmers in your area.

Bad Water Bill
06-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Years ago I drove to northern Wisconsin.

I drove thru many small towns with many mom and pop stores.

Yes even a gas station I could pull in at 2 in the A M and fill up my tank and pay for it the next time thru when the station was open.

Then the state snapped a chalk line and built a new hiway to help the tourists that hated driving thru the small towns.

About the only stores that have survived are the taverns and lumber yards.

All the small towns were left 2-5 miles off the new hiway and not one superstore had a hand in putting the many stores I knew and visited out of business.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Small towns never depended on tourists for there survival. I grew up in a small town and I have seen it go just the way I described as well as all the little towns around it. I have driven across this country many times in the last 50 plus years, it has changed and not for the better. You could say it was inevitable with world trade being what it is but please don't try to tell me it didn't happen and that Walmart did not have a part in it.

destrux
06-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Walmart is a ruthless company with some questionable store managers... but at least they aren't jumping on the bandwagon with Google, Paypal, Target.... and pulling all gun related stuff. So for that they will get my business.

Actually, Walmart has been going the opposite direction. Our local store used to only sell camping stuff when it first opened 7 years or so ago and now it sells ammo, AR's and other semi auto rifles, and I heard they will be selling components soon (the next store over does already and the prices are in line with buying online).

My only major complaints with Walmart were that they never had enough registers open and they never had a person in the sporting goods department. In the past few months they hired on a full time sporting goods guy who actually has an interest in firearms and the put in a half dozen automated self-checkouts in addition to the three full service checkouts they always had open. I guess they do read their "complaint box".

jcwit
06-29-2014, 07:45 PM
WalMart got to be the largest retailer in the world in history by being evil?????????????????????????????????????????

For those of you who do not know it, the retail business is ruthless at all levels, that is how one succeeds in the retail world.

swheeler
06-29-2014, 07:54 PM
What the hell is "price gauge" hope you mean gouge?

ghh3rd
06-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Walmart hasn't changed the price of their .22 ammo since it became so hard to find. I walked in a few weeks ago at 7:15 am and picked up one (limit) box of 550 for $22.49. I dislike some things about Walmart, but respect the fact that they have not price gouged ammo, here at least.