PDA

View Full Version : Depth of cast bullets' hardness?

Naphtali
01-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Am I correct that as-cast hardness of wheel weight, linotype, monotype, etc. is essentially throughout the bullet?

Regarding bullets that are heat treated to enhance hardness, how deeply does enhanced hardness penetrate?
Regarding over-the-counter bullets, such as BearTooth, LBT, Leadhead, etc., what are depths of penetration of their heat treated bullets' hardness?
Were I to heat treat bullets I have cast to improve hardness, if hardness does not penetrate throughout the bullet, when is the time to size bullets to retain any hardness enhancement -- or to allow cast bullet to age-to-hardness?

drinks
01-19-2008, 02:33 PM
N, the hardness is uniform all the way through, easily proven when using a Lee BHN tester, check the BHN on a flat nose bullet at the nose, then file a flat on the side and retest, you will get the same reading.

Naphtali
01-19-2008, 02:43 PM
N, the hardness is uniform all the way through, easily proven when using a Lee BHN tester, check the BHN on a flat nose bullet at the nose, then file a flat on the side and retest, you will get the same reading.Hardness throughout for as-cast and heat treated bullets? If what I just gave back to you is correct, then it make zero difference when to size heat treated bullets?

454PB
01-19-2008, 02:54 PM
I did some testing of heat treated boolits, and found what drinks says is true. I can't say "all the way through", but at least 1/3 of the diameter. In addition, sizing heat treated boolits that have aged does resoften them. For that reason, I either size and then heat treat, or quench them and size within a few hours.