PDA

View Full Version : Ballisti-Cast

Bradley
06-27-2014, 01:17 PM
I did business with Wayne Gibbs for decades. After he sold to Ballisti-Cast I bought a lot of their moulds as well. What I want to know is how well the moulds made by the new Ballisti-Cast owner are.

youngmman
06-27-2014, 02:06 PM
FYI, I just sent one back that I took delivery on about two weeks ago. It is a clone of the H&G #34. Frankly, I don't know what was wrong with it but I was getting fins on a couple of cavities and evidence the mold blocks weren't aligning. It was new and clean and I cast about 200 bullets using a 93/5/2 alloy, bottom pour Magma pot, temp about 750. The mold didn't appear warped since there was no gap between the block halves when closed.

Funny thing I sent it back a couple of days ago with sample bullets I cast and sent an e mail prior to that saying I was sending it and why.....................no response at all from Keith, the sales guy who I had been talking with.

They will have it today or tomorrow so we'll see what they do.

Labanaktis
06-27-2014, 10:28 PM
I will say that I got some undersized no lube groove molds for my Ballisti cast mark X. Keith has been extreamly helpful and answered emails very fast. Just a fact!

they were 9mm 124 gn dropping at .354/.355 I needed at least .357/.358. They are being made now.

hope that helps,
Matt

youngmman
06-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Matt,

I don't have any negative notions about this at all toward Ballisti-Cast and apologize if that's the way it sounded. Keith has been very helpful in the ordering process and did ask for feedback.

I just want the mold to cast well and hope they can diagnose the problem. I've done all I can think of at my end.

Mike

Labanaktis
06-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Yes, nothing negative. Keith has been very helpful.

Matt

MGnoob
06-30-2014, 05:32 PM
I was just emailing with Keith today, i was originally pretty butt-hurt with my first order taking as long as it did .Also a sizing die that i order .356 came in .357, i was ok with it and figured it would give me flexibility since i did already have a magma .356 die.for some reason it take 4x the force to size though the larger ballisicast die than the smaller magma die. damaging the bases and noses, once more none of my guns like .357 projectiles. That said, i have to say ballisicast offers some products noone else can compare to.And they do seem to really turning things around

My 4 set auto-cast molds 124 9mm are great. one cavity has trouble dropping on sometimes, i've got to look at it closer. WW @800f drop at .3575-ish cooler temp probably .358. the lube grooves are a tiny bit shallow than the comparable saeco mold but seem antiquate.
-
My 4 set auto-cast molds 230 .45 run the same.They have a chart on there website that gives you size weight by alloy type. It seem dead nuts on when compared to the molds i received.

Today i ordered another custom .223 4 mold set, 6 week leed time , but price wise it was very reasonable.

*I was very rude to keith and ballisticast so much i am surprised they'll even do work for me. which is kind of an important quality for anyone who does business with me......if you piss me off.

* i should also mention i have 15k+ cast with the 9mm set*

Sgtonory
06-30-2014, 07:57 PM
I took delivery of a mark x on friday. Let's just say I am not very pleased. Can't get this machine to work correctly. I am having to fix issues with a new machine that should not be there.

MGnoob
06-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Is the mark x there manual caster? i have the manual caster, they had it listed under 2 different names so i am not sure.
What are the problems pm me i had alittle trouble the first 2 or 3 go arounds. Theres a start-up procedure and a few things you have to be careful off.Also alittle adjustment may be required.
if it is the manual castor give it some time and you'll be thrilled.PM me if nessisary

Labanaktis
06-30-2014, 09:06 PM
The single biggest issue I had was casting the 9mm 124 gn. The pour was way to fast. I had to slow it down by adjusting the 1/4-20 screw and nut. Plus casting for 15/20 minutes to warm the moulds up.

what issues are you having? I'd like to know and follow the results in case I ever start getting them.

thanks, Matt

MGnoob
06-30-2014, 09:45 PM
well to start i ran 80lbs of lead through the machine without a good projectile @650f. It takes much less time at 850f and don't just keep pulling the handle, over pour the mold without getting everywhere and let it sit. (i've got 4 molds unit so i can let 2 sit), once heat is dissipated pull handle and repeat. it's just way less work.You'll know you'r up to temp when you go to index the machine and it thows some molten lead in your face. then your off to the races.

There are 3 ways to jam the machine.
1 spruce plating binding on the posts. adjust the post locations
2 projectile caught in spruce plate in the 4rth(rear-most posistion) Pull it out or move spruce post to allow spruce to be rotated away
3 Bullet fails to release causing hard lock-up once the machines springs wears in you can index through a hardlock, this is not recomended with a brand new machine
The offending projectile is almost always is the cavity the the spruce does not sompletly clear the front right cavity when in the 3rd position(bottom) You'll have to pull the mold, i'd recomend you abort and allow the machine to cool don't reach in ther with you face shaking the machine with 80lb of lead in the pot. you can rotate the stop to allow alittle movement and possible free the projectile. if you remove the stop the handle moves past it you'll will wish you didn't

once the machine is running don't let it drip into a mold, halfstroke it and let it drip, never stop with an empty mold or when you restart you'll have created and unsafe projectile.
don't let the lead sit on the spruce to long or it will stick and come around and you'll pour and the lead will not fill the mold and spill.mold release can be used but it's just better the keep the spruce hot enough and it just won't be a problem.

If your lead stream isn't coming out strait you can compensate but adjusting the reseting spruce post in the rear to adjust the position of the spruce when pouring

your machine should be ridiculously easy to pull if it's not inspect the spruce plates for flats or binding, adjust as necessary. mine came out of wack and put some wear on the plates quickly after fixing it it seems ok but if you can avoid it you'd be better off i too more life off of them the first hour than i have in the last 8.

have to adjust the lead pour but you'll find the way you pull the fill handle drastically effects the stream evenness judt correct by feel.

Good luck happy casting!

*if you could post the specs of your machine?* I've got the large pot on top but i hope you opted for 240v it's awsome and it was free

dondiego
07-01-2014, 09:03 AM
A spruce is a type of tree..............

youngmman
07-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Have any of you used the manual or auto pour casting machines from Magma Engineering?

MGnoob
07-01-2014, 04:15 PM
that's completely off topic to ballisticast, but if you check out magma's website aswell as youtube you should have enough info to keep you busy for 2 hours.
While i love magma as a company, the manual casting machine isn't worth owning in my opinion. you'd be far better off with some 6 cavity hand molds. the only benefit to it is it's biggest failure...... It only uses 1 mold. i think the unit is $1000 and requires 1 mold so it is a cheap startup, but no benefit to production (Unless you have arthritis or handicap)
most of ballisticast's machine price is the lead pot. I love this guy on you tube but he spent like close to what it would cost to buy a real production machine automating the magma unit.
i'm going to automate my machine air pneumatic would be $500(less compressor)and quite versatile. it's more like $1000 to go electric and would be less adjustable.
either way 3500-4k for a 4 position autocast machine is a huge value.

AS far as production machines with 6 and 8 molds i've seen them.. but with obama ammo demad and all the used units selling for as much as new units and the wait 4 a new unit would suck.
the ballasticast manual machine should be offered automated, very few of us would have a need for the larger units.......unless your a buisness

MGnoob
07-01-2014, 04:19 PM
A spruce is a type of tree..............

That's hillarious..i've never said the word aloud and didn't even realize what i was typing....I'm going to leave it messed up so new readers will understand your post...i almost didn't get it.

dondiego
07-02-2014, 11:18 AM
I see "spruce" written often instead of "sprue". I think that a lot of the auto-correct functions default to spruce. Sorry for being nit picky. Everyone knew exactly what you meant.

Don

Sgtonory
07-02-2014, 10:11 PM
My issue was front fan not working. The PID was not setup correctly temp was reading wrong. The machine was dripping lead. Also machine is binding on one station with or without molds in. Boolit's all have fins around them. I am going to give it another solid go tomorrow and try and work some of these things out. But for a new machine and molds i was hoping for better quality control.

Labanaktis
07-03-2014, 09:24 AM
I totally agree, the fans should be working upon arrival. I would find it hard to believe a connection came loose but **** does happen. The PID was outta whack to huh? The binding might be from being new to using the machine. I have a Mark X and after the 3rd or 4th time using it the action seemed smoother. As far as the fins in the casts, make sure there is no leading on the mould faces where they part and come back together.

You would think there would be a certain amount to ease to operating a simple machine like this one, especially after spending that much money one one. I get it because I have been going thru a few issues myself. It's a well built machine thou.

My next step is getting the pot centered under the plates better.

Please keep us updated.

Matt

MGnoob
07-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Wow i though i have it ruff. my machine had an unplugged bent sensor for temp. there is too much stuff stuffed in the control panel.all my stuff worked but if you adjust temp without then powering on and off the unit it will soar past the set temp.Mine was packaged very well, and no bs ballisticast wasn't responsible for the damage. i was going to tap into the existing power to run an autodrive, but after looking in there i am going to install a second panel, i also wish the factory bannel was mount 1/2" lower so i could autodrive it from that side and leave the handle and1 way bearing for manual operation. one of my lead streems is crooked but my machine runs flawlessly.....although breakin is key and a real thing.Once again i sure hope you all oped for 240v... if you didn't i bet you could replace the plug and move some wirenuts around......if not you blew it!

MGnoob
07-03-2014, 08:06 PM
spruce spruce spruce
I have another drink.........it's all southern accents fault...and 10% AUTOCORRECXTION

youngmman
07-07-2014, 04:33 PM
I just heard from Keith at Ballisticast. He said they casted several times with the mold and it was fine so they are sending it back to me.

Labanaktis
07-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Well that don't sound good.... So you sent in moulds that didn't work for you, they tried them and said they are fine???

did they give you any ideas or helpful hints?

MGnoob
07-07-2014, 05:39 PM
That sucks. i would make sure you have the right handles for the mold, or properly modified.

The molds i just sent them had "fin" issues....i got it from midway and it is a saeco.
All the saeco molds i have are great but i'm not paying 50+ for handle and waiting for backorder. i assume the handles i am using are causing the problem.although they seem to be perfect when i modified them...

Dirty alloy will also cause a buildup that will then keep the mold from closing all the way. and seems like misalignment.

Clean the molds up and try again.. if they don't work i'd send them back and ask for a refund. good luck

youngmman
07-08-2014, 05:35 AM
I bought it with handles so they should be ok for the mold. Keith said they had two experienced casters and three newbe's use the mold and they had no problem. He suggested I hold a tighter grip on the handles. Of course! I have six original H&G molds, and several LBT, some Lyman and a SAECO and I have no problems producing good bullets with any of them, so I won't venture comment.

6bg6ga
07-08-2014, 05:59 AM
As an owner of a MArk IV I can attest to the fact that you have to have things adjusted correctly in order to produce good bullets. You can make an adjustment in order to obtain a good tight match up on the mold. Yes, it does take time to arrive at good bullets. In just a few minutes I came to the conclusion that I don't need to look at the PID's temp reading. I adjust the PID temp in order to obtain good bullets. Lead that is too cold will never warm the molds up correctly and you will end up with scrap time after time. It also takes time and a feeling in order to obtain all the sprews on the operator side of the machine instead of with the finished bullets.

I can produce more bullets per hour with this machine than I possibly could have with 6 cavity molds. One of the best secrets lie with setting the temp correctly to obtain proper results. Once this is done the machine almost runs itself. Yes, you can blame the machine when in reality the problem lies with the operators understanding of the machine and the proper temp adjustment of the machine.

Someone mentioned Magma and well they seem to work fine and they adapt themselves well to modification that results in automatic operation. Part of this reason is they only deal with one mold block and not 2 like the Mark IV or 4 like the Mark X does. They are a lot simpler and they will produce far fewer bullets per hour. But to each his own.

MGnoob
07-09-2014, 01:53 AM
I think it would be easier to automate my 4 mold mark 10 than the magma. do to the mold being rotated 360 deg rather than the 90 of the magma...most of the auto magmas conversion i seen use little tampers or a "double tap" to ensure boolit release. i'll probably use the tampers on mine to ease the process but now that it's warn-in it can just smash them for all i care....other than possible mold damage, but the projectile is still so pliable at the point of release i doubt it will damage a mold.

I heard from keith today and he received my molds and samples and says as far as he can tell they match his drawing so i told him to proceed. i've notice much better comunication as of recently....the few issue i do have with there product are not that big of a deal.. for example the punches for the sizer should be more caliber specific and less universal.I tryied to order the secondary lube heater and was told it didnt really work and would just make a mess and just setting at a high tempurate will help. I just don't think enough volume is pre-warmed to keep up with even a modest pace. i have yet to use my own lube which is softer and lower melting point. If the secondary heater didn't work and made a mess i don't see how going hotter with the primary won't do the same thing. The magma star sizer headed base is a joke with little control and huge temp swing and it works much better. since i plate and don't lube often it doesn't matter to me.

finishman2000
07-09-2014, 06:00 AM
I tried to add a second heater on the tube of my ballisticast sizer and yes it did make a mess. it would work if you set it up on it's own pid which I might do one od these days.

MGnoob
07-09-2014, 08:39 PM
interesting, i am glad to hear from someone who owns one rather than just the manufacturer..i assumed it had a separate pid....
i bet it would work great with the primary set to the right temp for the lube and the 2ndary preheating the lube in the tube to 5-10f lower than the primary.....

youngmman
07-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Regarding my post of 7/8 regarding my return of #634 mold to Balisti-Cast. I just received it back and frankly it looks like ****. The bullets they said were ok, cast by them as a test by several people, are not ones i would use except as melt. One of the mold faces is buggered up looking like it was battered with something that left tracks across it.

So to those who may be thinking about a mold from them: Buyer beware. I will have nothing further to do with them and don't even want a refund.

Labanaktis
07-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Regarding my post of 7/8 regarding my return of #634 mold to Balisti-Cast. I just received it back and frankly it looks like ****. The bullets they said were ok, cast by them as a test by several people, are not ones i would use except as melt. One of the mold faces is buggered up looking like it was battered with something that left tracks across it.

So to those who may be thinking about a mold from them: Buyer beware. I will have nothing further to do with them and don't even want a refund.

Really sucks to hear. BUT THANK YOU for the update. There is nothing wrong with telling it how it is.

Matt

MGnoob
07-10-2014, 08:35 PM
It's pretty lame to send you their "test" boolits and have them not have them be of shooting qualilty.....
i get them saying it works fine and just sending it back type tactic....but to say they're fine and mail you projectile that are not fine seems moronic.
Do you have some photos?

youngmman
07-10-2014, 09:04 PM
I don't have photos now but will in the next day or so. I don't understand this at all, they didn't even secure the two mold halves together with a tie for shipment in a flat rate box so they were banging around togather. Please excuse me for just not wanting to deal with it any further just now.

6bg6ga
07-11-2014, 06:28 AM
I don't have photos now but will in the next day or so. I don't understand this at all, they didn't even secure the two mold halves together with a tie for shipment in a flat rate box so they were banging around togather. Please excuse me for just not wanting to deal with it any further just now.

Did you contact them after receiving the molds back? I doubt it. It would seem to me the proper way of handling this would be to pick up the phone and call them instead of running your mouth and putting them down. No pictures? Seems strange to me. Try calling them and telling them the molds have damage now as a result of shipping. My bet is they will replace them.

youngmman
07-11-2014, 06:54 AM
6bg6ga,

Let me say it is not particularly important to me what you think. I have no ulterior motives here except wanting a good mold. They NEVER contacted me after sending it back nor prior to that in contacting them by e mail. Additionally, there was nothing whatsoever in the box with the mold explaining their view.

I do not call and bitch to anyone particularly after TRYING to communicate as I have. It is nothing more than an indifference on their part at this point. My way is simply to NEVER even consider doing business with them again. Now I know why the Hardline Industriies people split from Ballisti-Cast over a year ago. It seems sistemic.

So, pal, if you don't like my way that's too damn bad.

6bg6ga
07-11-2014, 07:04 AM
My point pal...

Instead of running your mouth here put your mouth up to the phone where it surely will do some good.

Labanaktis
07-11-2014, 08:24 AM
That's his point...it won't do any good. He has voiced his concerns to Ballisti Cast. They did not fix his problem. He has chose not to do business with them again. Ive had similar issues as well.

not that my opinion counts as anything but I value someone's feedback whatever it is. If you don't want to read it....don't.

MGnoob
07-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Youmman, When i initially started dealing with these guys over a year ago it got to the point where i just gave up and was done with them, a week later i got the call that they could fill my order.I almost didn't go through with it due to how bad the experience was.....i've been happy with the products, but almost didn't reorder due to the handle of the entire affair...it does seem things at ballisticast have drastically improved, that's why it was disheartening to hear a so recently that there is still problems.I am glad to hear they may be a resolution's to your issue.

Unfortunately there initial response of "it's fine" was pretty weak.....i am glad to see they can accept responsibility for this..... no one perfect but excuses really piss me off.
You should probably also note that any communication with them is confidential...so giving the jist of what they said may be more appropriate than cut and past from an email..

youngmman
07-11-2014, 10:12 PM
I do understand about the confidentiality. I just there wasn't anything threatening in it and, indeed it may improve the views of some about the company and I think it has, Oh well, good news is always welcome.