PDA

View Full Version : Using the word "Weapon" is offensive?

Catshooter
06-27-2014, 01:11 AM
Seeing Felix's very classy goodbye thread reminded me that I wanted to ask this question.

I see that he disliked the W word and that some have agreed with him here.

Can I please ask why it's offensive?

I've used it on occasion in posts here and other forums (I know, I am embarrassed :oops: ). Now the last thing I am is a Ninja operator. I'm pretty sure I don't even own any tacticool gear.

To me the difference between the W word and firearm in general is one I generally would use only for sporting purposes. The W, well, it would be or could be more intended as an actual weapon.

So learn me up here please gentlemen and ladies if there be such present! Plumb me up if y'all would.

Thanks.

Cat

BruceB
06-27-2014, 01:47 AM
"Weapon" is a noun used to describe an object which is used to harm or threaten a human being, or INTENDED for such use.

Multitudes of objects may be used as weapons; only a relative few are firearms. Firearms in turn MAY be used as weapons, although most are not.

"Weapon" has a connotation among the general public that implies crime, violence, pain, threats, death..... and other undesirable conditions.

The use of the term by those of us who use firearms for our own non-violent, non-criminal, recreational and otherwise harmless pursuits GIVES AMMUNITION TO OUR ENEMIES.

The apparent willingness of honest users of firearms to adopt the term, AND its implied meaning(s), also lends an appearance of willingness to be identified with the unsavory meanings of the word.... "weapon".

Firearms in the hands of police and military organizations are indeed, "weapons". They are intended to be used against humans in the final analysis.

A military rifle in MY personal possession is NOT a weapon. It may have been built as a weapon, and even USED as a weapon..... but until such time as *I* use it against a human, it is NOT a weapon in my estimation.

I even have trouble with the term "gun", of all things. This is due to the overwhelmingly negative use of the term in mass media. I rarely use the word, just as I rarely use the liberal catch-word,"feel". Firearms, to me, are not guns, and not weapons...at least in verbal communication.

Rifle, shotgun, handgun etc..... yes.... but not "weapon", and not "gun".

starmac
06-27-2014, 01:51 AM
This ^^^^^ could not have been explained better. It is just a word, but it can and has been used against us.

Fyodor
06-27-2014, 01:54 AM
In English you have the great opportunity to distinguish between a weapon and a gun.

A weapon is any object used to harm a human (over-simplified), but itn't necessarily a gun.

A gun is a "particle projector", but not necessarily a weapon.

In German we only have one word for both, "Waffe", which is much closer to your weapon. We can only distuingish a gun from any other weapon by calling it a "Schußwaffe", which would translate to "shooting weapon". This lack of difference makes it very hard for us to discuss the difference between weapons and guns, because there is none in our language.

Be happy that you can tell the difference in English, und use the word accordingly. It makes arguing against gun grabbers much easier.

Bullfrog
06-27-2014, 06:37 AM
What has been said above is all that needs to be said. In 4H we are forbidden from using the "W" word (weapon) and told to only call it a gun, rifle, pistol, bow and arrow, etc.. because of those very reasons and how the liberal media vilifies and personifies guns as purely evil.

walltube
06-27-2014, 08:25 AM
Thank you, Mr. Bannister. Well said, Sir. Well said.

Fyodor, thank you for your German language contribution to this thread.

Yours Truly,
Harold.

dale2242
06-27-2014, 08:42 AM
I see weapon as a military and law enforcement term.
I use firearm as a sporting goods term.
I do not use the term weapon when teaching Hunters Ed.
As sportsmen we use them as sporting goods, not as a weapon....dale

blackthorn
06-27-2014, 10:39 AM
I use the term "firearm" for all the reasons expressed by Bruce, BUT I hate having to be so careful not to "offend" some thin-skinned fool. SO---the "politically correct" Liberals win again, driving us further "underground"! So sad!

MT Gianni
06-27-2014, 10:43 AM
I had a reply but Bruce said it all. I believe weapon has come in vogue by being drummed into military recruits.

woody1
06-27-2014, 10:46 AM
"Weapon" is a noun used to describe an object which is used to harm or threaten a human being, or INTENDED for such use.

Multitudes of objects may be used as weapons; only a relative few are firearms. Firearms in turn MAY be used as weapons, although most are not.

"Weapon" has a connotation among the general public that implies crime, violence, pain, threats, death..... and other undesirable conditions.

The use of the term by those of us who use firearms for our own non-violent, non-criminal, recreational and otherwise harmless pursuits GIVES AMMUNITION TO OUR ENEMIES.

The apparent willingness of honest users of firearms to adopt the term, AND its implied meaning(s), also lends an appearance of willingness to be identified with the unsavory meanings of the word.... "weapon".

Firearms in the hands of police and military organizations are indeed, "weapons". They are intended to be used against humans in the final analysis.

A military rifle in MY personal possession is NOT a weapon. It may have been built as a weapon, and even USED as a weapon..... but until such time as *I* use it against a human, it is NOT a weapon in my estimation.

I even have trouble with the term "gun", of all things. This is due to the overwhelmingly negative use of the term in mass media. I rarely use the word, just as I rarely use the liberal catch-word,"feel". Firearms, to me, are not guns, and not weapons...at least in verbal communication.

Rifle, shotgun, handgun etc..... yes.... but not "weapon", and not "gun".

I trust this is sufficiently "muddying" for the subject?

Bruce, this is clear, concise, and spot on. I would remove the last sentence. Regards, Woody

jmort
06-27-2014, 10:54 AM
"...BUT I hate having to be so careful not to "offend" some thin-skinned fool. SO---the "politically correct" Liberals win again, driving us further "underground"! So sad!"

Agree. We are dancing on the head of a pin. I never used the term weapon, but not for any reason expressed here. I'm not going to let people control what I think or say.

mack1
06-27-2014, 10:56 AM
I would only add that the meaning words and the correct use of them is important, if we let them change the names or meaning we have lost the debate before the facts can be added. This holds true for any subject.

BruceB
06-27-2014, 11:04 AM
I would remove the last sentence.

Regards, Woody

No sooner said, than done!

Funny.... I ADDED the last sentence around 0300 because I thought maybe the post was too know-it-all or pontifical for many people.

I don't see our guarding of our terminology as a victory for the forces against us.

Rather, I see it from the opposite viewpoint: by watching our words, we are actually depriving THEM of arguing points, or some illusory "moral high ground" they might THINK they hold.

Besides, it's a very easy tactic to become accustomed to ... I simply don't even consider using the 'weapon/gun" terms in normal conversation or correspondence. The words just do not appear in my daily vocabulary.

mold maker
06-27-2014, 11:10 AM
I'm tired of the Lefties dictating to me how to talk and live. Even a marshmallow can be used as a weapon.
By any definition any weapon can also be defensive. I am offended by the imposition of others dictating to me what, they, think is proper.
I'm just an old country boy, who grew up using the language of the 40s and 50s. I'll die a tarheel still speaking as I was taught.
If it offends anyone, that's their problem.
No offense intended.

dtknowles
06-27-2014, 11:19 AM
In my signature line I use a quote "words are weapons" and of course so can be kitchen knives or an axe. Choose your words with care so you only say what you mean to say. Among friends it might not matter much because we will try understand what you meant to say not what you actually said but to others they will twist your words make you look like a fool.

Tim

Col4570
06-27-2014, 11:21 AM
I always use the word Firearm when dealing with the authorities since Weapon could imply my train of thought as to the firearms use.Here in the UK a firearm cannot be acquired for defence ,only for sporting or Target use therefore the word Weapon is not used.

Cornbread
06-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Nearly 10 years of everything having to do with guns being called weapons while I was a Marine is a HARD habit to break. Even my phrases for safety for shooting with my kids such as "keeping the weapon on safe, present yourself to the target at a low ready and prepare to fire" and so on.

The word weapon is in every part of my vocabulary where it is related to guns and ammunition. I see the reasons you guys have presented as valid and I will try to keep that word out of my posts as much as possible but I seriously doubt it will cease to be a mainstay of gun related vocabulary.

When my son goes into the Marines in just a few years now he will be the fourth consecutive generation of infantry Marines in my family. We have now served in the Corps in the infantry in every major war from WWII until now. That word is such a huge part of my families vocabulary I don't see it coming out any time soon.

jmort
06-27-2014, 11:29 AM
"That word is such a huge part of my families vocabulary I don't see it coming out any time soon."

And it should not. Sounds like you come from a great family.

Nrut
06-27-2014, 11:33 AM
I heartily agree with what BruceB said..

dtknowles
06-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Nearly 10 years of everything having to do with guns being called weapons while I was a Marine is a HARD habit to break. Even my phrases for safety for shooting with my kids such as "keeping the weapon on safe, present yourself to the target at a low ready and prepare to fire" and so on.

The word weapon is in every part of my vocabulary where it is related to guns and ammunition. I see the reasons you guys have presented as valid and I will try to keep that word out of my posts as much as possible but I seriously doubt it will cease to be a mainstay of gun related vocabulary.

When my son goes into the Marines in just a few years now he will be the fourth consecutive generation of infantry Marines in my family. We have now served in the Corps in the infantry in every major war from WWII until now. That word is such a huge part of my families vocabulary I don't see it coming out any time soon.

I see no reason to not use the word Weapon when it is appropriate and like I said among friends it should never be a problem. I would like to think we are all friends here but sometimes I wonder.

Tim

shooterg
06-27-2014, 11:51 AM
So the .223 I shoot at targets is a firearm and the .380 or .45 I tote concealed is a
weapon ? Seriously ? I can sorta kinda see a point in this somewhere, but the folks on the other side are already offended that we own any firearm/gun/weapon anyway.

montana_charlie
06-27-2014, 01:04 PM
So the .223 I shoot at targets is a firearm and the .380 or .45 I tote concealed is a
weapon ? Seriously ?
What does CCW stand for?

But, turning to the general discussion ...
Why abandon a perfectly legitimate word for all time just because in certain connotations it aggravates certain people?
Personally, I say 'weapon' when I mean weapon, and I use 'firearm' (or one of several other nouns) when it matches the meaning I am trying to convey.

Think about this ...
We all make a big deal about the right to keep and bear 'arms'.
What does the word mean? Isn't is 'weaponry'? Isn't it the things you equip yourself with to fight against other men?

You can say you are 'loaded for bear', or 'over-gunned' (under-gunned), or fully equipped when you go into the woods to hunt.
But do you enter the hunting ground or the battlefield when 'fully armed'?

If somebody suggested that we should abandon the word 'arms', what would we say?

I would say there are times when either word applies, and times when it isn't the proper choice.
The trick is in knowing the difference ...

CM

06-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Use the term(s) you are most comfortable with.

However, if we can't use certain words, regardless the subject matter, the other side has already won.

Bullshop
06-27-2014, 01:09 PM
If I go deer hunting I carry a gun or firearm or pistol or rifle or shotgun or whatever. If I am attacked by a bear while out deer hunting then the item in hand as previously described becomes a weapon. Weird!

searcher4851
06-27-2014, 01:30 PM
It's not a matter of giving in to the lefties or anything like that. It's just a matter of being accurate. According to Webster's Dictionary, first definition, a weapon is "any instrument used for fighting".
Weapon is a far too general term. I try to be more accurate in my speech. When I talk about my Sharp's rifle, I don't call it a weapon, because I don't want people to think I'm talking about my Sharp's baseball bat, or my granny's Sharp's knitting needles, both of which would fall within the definition of weapon as well, under the right circumstances.
By that definition, no rifle, shotgun, or handgun is a weapon until it is USED in that manner.
JMHO, but what do I know.

jmort
06-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Spinning like a top

Springfield
06-27-2014, 01:51 PM
The pistols and rifles in my house are just firearms until someone tries to break in, then they become self-defense weapons. Nothing wrong with using language accurately. I never call my truck a car, either.

country gent
06-27-2014, 02:09 PM
Weapon describes how an item is used more so than what it is IE ball bat, knife, tire iron ( although the new ones are pretty flimsy), firearm, vehicles. The names used are identifing an actual item. I tend to use rifle pistol revolver or firearm way more than the much broader term weapon. Having spent alot of time on ranges during matches we learned early on to be very direct with terms otherwise it can be misconstrued by media. Terms as NRA Match rifle, NRA service rifle, Bench rest rifle and such are more descriptive and harder to misconstrue by media.

RogerDat
06-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Accurate use of words is important. The words define the discussion and I think it is in the interest of those that support the shooting sports and self defense to use the correct terminology and correct those that do not.

Anyone else get annoyed at Wolf Blitzer or countless others calling a detachable magazine a clip? Any "black" gun or one with a pistol grip an assault weapon? It is not giving in to anyone or position, exactly the opposite. It is forcing discussion of issues and postitions related to firearms be in accurate and well defined terms.

During a discussion after Sandy Hook with my wife it took some effort to explain that the SKS with the black poly stock and pistol grip had less in common with an "assault weapon" than the Ruger mini-14 in .223 or the Marlin Papoose in .22 LR because those at least had detachable magazines. She was basing her assessment on the appearance of all those images on TV not functional reality which while she shoots she has not really considered. The SKS all she considers is it's too loud and kicks too much, the other two not so much.

I'm with it's not a weapon until it's pointed at someone or when that is the sole intention of the firearm as in the Marines, police etc. mentioned earlier. Otherwise it is a specific type of firearm such as rifle, pistol, revolver, bolt action, shotgun etc. Or they are collectively firearms. Define the terms and you define the debate. Don't think so? Why do you think supporters always say Affordable Care Act and detractors always say Obama Care? Or why opposition uses the term assault weapon rather than semi-automatic rifle?

Many people:
1) Don't care enough to really spend time thinking and exploring details on issues that do not directly impact them.
2) If given a word with a mental or emotional connotation will form basic opinion on that alone. Consider how a poll response can be shifted based on the wording.

If you don't give the word the proper meaning trust me someone else will. Is this a debate you want TV news readers to define?

Friends call me Pac
06-27-2014, 02:42 PM
I don't find it offensive. No big deal to me.

aspangler
06-27-2014, 02:49 PM
A weapon is what I carry. A gun is what the artillery boys fire at enemy position out in front. Ask any DI. he'll tell you the same thing.

gray wolf
06-27-2014, 04:37 PM
On and on we go and the lefties laugh there tails off.
They huddle together and say " WOW we got them trained real well don't we "
know wonder we are loosing almost every encounter we enter into with the lefties.
After the smoke clears ( if it ever does ) lets see how far being PC has got us.
Probably the kneeling position for starters.

It's a club until it's loaded, but we don't call it a club, that would indicate it 's a weapon.
Next it will be "" OK people, pick up your piece of sporting goods and point it at the target ""

Sorry I have to agree to disagree on this one, As long as someone does not go out of there way to purposely offend someone, they should not be dictated as too what words to use.
.However a good dose of common sense should be mandatory.

wv109323
06-27-2014, 04:49 PM
In WV when the CC law was passed originally it was for weapons.(plural)It specifically said that you could carry multiple and any combination of weapons including knives,firearms,blunt objects or whatever. The law was later revised so that it was accepted by other states and the wording was changed to firearm. (singular).
About 20 years ago the NRA raised the issue of using the word weapon. They thought it would be more warm and fuzzy to use a different noun. During that time I was at a Hunters Pistol Silhouette match and one of the competitors was using a pistol that I was unfamiliar with. He was a dentist and was known to have a peculiar personality. I asked "What type of weapon was he firing?" . I got the 5 minute speech not to use the W word and he was never so kind to explain the type of pistol he was using. I walked away and later found out it was a homemade single shot falling block pistol. The barrel could be switched out for the RF and centerfire match using the same action.

Springfield
06-27-2014, 04:56 PM
No one is dictating to me whether or not I call my firearms weapons, I just don't until they are. Personal choice. I have a motorcycle with a sidecar attached. I never call the whole thing a sidecar, because it isn't, it is a motorcycle with a sidecar attached. I do call it my rig though, a pretty popular slang term for the set-up."Accuracy counts", used to be a phrase we used in the Armored Truck business, and not just in shooting.

mpbarry1
06-27-2014, 05:07 PM
it is only a "weapon" when used against another human being. I use the term firearm. i have no intention of using one in anger. anything can be used as a weapon. (a floorlamp, a bat, an ink pen, anything.)

RogerDat
06-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Sorry I don't see the PC connection. You want to win an engagement you start by picking good ground for your purpose. Words are the "ground" in this debate. I don't think assault weapon is the better ground than semi-automatic rifle. I don't think weapon is better ground than firearm. With terms like "gun crime" being used together often I'm pretty sure pistol is better ground than gun.

Whole lot of folks don't perceive themselves as having a stake in this issue, you have a better chance of reaching them if you approach it using words that do not have a pre-conceived negative connotation. It's a democracy and there just are not enough gun owners and DI's to outvote everyone else. Majority do not own firearms, so the 30-35% that do have to convince enough people to not support laws that really don't hurt them if passed. Words are how you do that.

Why do you think it's so easy to pass a "sin" tax on cigarettes? Because majority don't smoke, smoking is bad for you, tax it a lot and fewer bad things will happen. States will put a 50 cent tax on cigarettes without batting an eye. Same politicians won't pass a 3 cent gas tax increase as the roads fall apart. The anti-smoking crowd defined that cigarette debate once they got the term second hand smoke in common usage connected with health hazard. To the point where smoking in public is banned in some campgrounds in your own site. Who do you want picking the ground for the debate on firearm and ammo restrictions? Words define the ground the debate takes place on.

Outpost75
06-27-2014, 05:37 PM
The Second Amendment is not about target shooting, sport or subsistance hunting, competition or gun collecting, but the right of the people to keep and bear arms for their personal and collective defense, against all enemies, foriegn and domestic.

If we intend to keep that right, we must be prepared to fight for it.

There was never an enemy soldier killed with a baseball, football, golf ball, catchers mit or hockey stick. This has always been the task of an individual soldier, armed with personal arms, yes, weapons.

Politically correct euphemisms do not apply.

perotter
06-27-2014, 05:44 PM
..... Who do you want picking the ground for the debate on firearm and ammo restrictions? Words define the ground the debate takes place on. There is nothing to debate so there is no need to be concerned about debating it. Go monitor the posts on a gun control forum. The only debate there is what is the fastest way to take all the firearms away from people. The days of anyone thinking we can reason this out are long over.

RogerDat
06-27-2014, 06:18 PM
There is nothing to debate so there is no need to be concerned about debating it. Go monitor the posts on a gun control forum. The only debate there is what is the fastest way to take all the firearms away from people. The days of anyone thinking we can reason this out are long over.

What the gun control forum members want to do and should not do is the debate. While important concepts such as the second amendment should provide the protection there are clearly those who wish to push the Supreme Court decisions allowing regulation further than I believe is appropriate. What the voters are willing to support is not determined by either side because neither has a majority. It is decided by moving the people that are in the middle by education. Education starts with proper vocabulary for the subject.

Frankly I think the control crowd has worked the "militia" part of the second to their positions benefit. So far no one has come up with a way to refute my question "If I have a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness does that not imply I have a right to defend that life?". Not going to change the die hard anti crowd but it does often start a discussion on much better ground to reach that person if they are not already in the die hard guns are bad camp.

Also have to remember that there are more urban people than rural and people living in those two areas tend to have distinctly different experience and context for firearms. People vote and can be influenced to vote one way or another by debate, reasoned arguments, or phrases that push certain emotional buttons. I would rather be know as being "being in favor of individual rights and responsibility" than "pro-gun". Easier to explain and much harder to object to or dismiss as being "one of those".

perotter
06-27-2014, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=RogerDat;2834961].... Frankly I think the control crowd has worked the "militia" part of the second to their positions benefit. ....[/QUOTE You are incorrect them working that to their benefit and it is to our benefit for them to bring it up. If the antis don't back down on gun control, I don't expect them to, in the next few years one or more state will pass a law that arms it's state defense force with personally owned firearms. A state decides what the weapons will be. That would be the "stake in the heart" for gun control. None of the gun control laws passed under the government power to regulate commerce apply to such a state law. The court decisions, up to the highest court in the land, on a state being able to do this have already been made.

Catshooter
06-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Mmm. Very interesting. Quite the set of viewpoints here on this. I find some of the concepts expressed fascinating. Not wrong, just some I hadn't considered.

Words do matter, that I understand. I can see not calling a pencil a weapon until it's used as one. However the Glock inside my waistband, to me, is more a weapon than firearm or really any other term. This particular one has never been used as one, but that is it's purpose in life. Calling it a firearm, pistol or even a Roscoe are accurate words, but none fit as well as weapon.

Words do matter. The problem I see with the PC crowd is there is no room for judgment or common sense. It's being taken to insane extreme levels by individuals with zero tolerance and zero common sense. Our government in other words. :)

One of the reasons I posted this thread is that I learned that I often suck when it comes to written communication. The internet and it's forums have taught me that. Too many times I've posted in anger or frustration, or just selected such poor words to say what I'm trying to say that afterwards it's a real face palm moment. I've had to apologize more than once.

So thank y'all for the responses. You have clarified for me how and when I should or shouldn't use the word weapon. I see that it can have scary connotations for some. While I don't rule my life with concerns of not being offensive I also don't walk into anyone's church and shout out the F bomb ten times just for old times sake. I like a middle ground, usually.

Thanks again.

Cat

gray wolf
06-27-2014, 07:23 PM
It's a democracy and there just are not enough gun owners and DI's to outvote everyone else.
Sorry to disagree but it's a free republic, one we did not take care of, one that slipped through our hands.
When Ben Franklin was ask what kind of Gov. did you give us ?
His answer was a free republic, if you can keep it -- we didn't.

Old Ben had a way with words
They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety--deserve neither--liberty or safety.

Got to hand it to old Ben

I don't have a problem about using the words Pistol or Revolver, firearm also works just fine, But if the word weapon comes out of my mouth I am not going to go and do penance over it. Like I said, common sense should be the dictate, not stubbornness.
Sometimes we care so much about what other people think, --- and many times other people could care less about what we think.

freebullet
06-27-2014, 08:30 PM
I like the word weapon as I like weapons.

dtknowles
06-27-2014, 08:43 PM
I like the word weapon as I like weapons.

I like it too, it is a valuable word. It is a bit overused. I save it and just use it when it is appropriate. It is also a very general word. If I said I was carrying a weapon you don't have much of an idea what I am carrying. If I said I was armed, still not very descriptive. If I told you I was carrying a 8 inch S&W Model 29 with 240 grain hollow points, it might make a difference to you or maybe not, your call. Make my day.

Tim

RogerDat
06-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Interesting concept. If a modern state or two passed a law requiring able bodied people to be prepared with personal arm for militia participation. Hmm wonder how that would play out?

I believe it is considered a democratic republic under a constitution. But the simple fact is if enough people vote for politicians or ballot initiatives that seek to restrict firearm rights then restrictions are what you are going to get. If one wants to avoid that outcome one has to influence those voting outcomes, simplest way is to influence voters.

TXGunNut
06-27-2014, 09:38 PM
For 25 years of my life the firearms I spent the most time with were indeed weapons. Their purpose was (and is) defense but they were weapons nonetheless. Some did double duty as match pistols and revolvers, one or two even went hunting. The firearms I still carry today are weapons but again, their only purpose is defense. The firearms I come here to talk about are not weapons. Several are replicas of weapons from another era but they are merely research and hobby pieces now. Others are hunting rifles and pistols and a few are just for fun.
I think I understand Felix's intent; we're here to talk boolits, not weapons.

jsizemore
06-27-2014, 11:22 PM
Do you think the liberals say firearm and don't think weapon?

Don't you think they equate owner of firearm with stupid redneck?

I AM the redneck with firearms that will be used as weapons when necessary! Everyone of them!

Eutectic
06-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Do you think the liberals say firearm and don't think weapon?

Don't you think they equate owner of firearm with stupid redneck?

I AM the redneck with firearms that will be used as weapons when necessary! Everyone of them!

You're in New York City having dining with the president of your company. You are being considered for a BIG promotion! You don't know anyone but your wife; you don't even know the suit you're wearing!
A waiter sets the most luscious steak in front of you that you have ever seen! People are eating; you look for your steak knife... There isn't one!! Embarrassed, you finally see an oval pure silver platter with several pearl handled steak knives on it.... It's right in front of the president's wife.... She makes eye contact and smiles....

"Ma'am.... Would you please pass me one of those weapons in front of you?"

Eutectic

jmort
06-28-2014, 04:04 PM
In England it would be a weapon. This is tedious. Any gun is or can be called a weapon. Same goes for most any knife. The example cited changes nothing. If my Blackhawk is on that same table and you wanted it passed to you, you could call it many things, including a weapon. I don't use the term weapon in referring to firearms, but all my firearms are weapons.

Eutectic
06-28-2014, 04:35 PM
If your Blackhawk was on the table that would be one great president!!!!
I'd feel pretty confident of getting promoted at that point!

Eutectic

onceabull
06-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Eutectic: If my 8" Randall #1 was on the platter in front of the lady,I expect the president could still be called great... Onceabull

Eutectic
06-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Eutectic: If my 8" Randall #1 was on the platter in front of the lady,I expect the president could still be called great... Onceabull

You bet!

bannor
06-28-2014, 05:00 PM
Your mind is the actual weapon. All objects are just tools to that end (if you intend to fight). Jeff Cooper said it well:"Armed is a state of MIND. You are no more armed because you are carrying a gun than you are a musician because you own a guitar". Also by El Jefe:"A good man or woman with a 'mere' .22lr is far more effective than a medium tank driven by a baboon". :-)

MBTcustom
06-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Keep it civil fellers. We've got enough enemies on the left to go around.

montana_charlie
06-28-2014, 06:48 PM
Keep it civil fellers.
( ...!..??... )

randyrat
06-28-2014, 07:32 PM
We are all brothers....I don't mind what you call guns...I have some weapons, as I call them, because they are designed to kill and are worthless on the range. I also have some guns or firearms for range work.

Anyone that has been in the military knows how tough it is to call a weapon a GUN. Calling it a GUN is worth a bully beat down from the DS and is to frowned upon:mad:. I wonder if it still common in the military to call them weapons or has it change to a more PC/ peaceful tool.

MBTcustom
06-28-2014, 08:45 PM
( ...!..??... )

I deleted an inflammatory post.

Tar Heel
06-28-2014, 08:54 PM
A weapon infers an OFFENSIVE tool whereby a firearm or gun or pistol or whatever else you call it is simply a tool which can be used DEFENSIVELY. Saying "Weapon" when you are defending yourself in a self-defense shooting can be a contraindication of your desired position. Any tool can be used as a WEAPON. By using the word WEAPON you are inferring the action for what it will be used for. I can use a hammer to pound in nails or I can use a hammer as a WEAPON. In the military we are issued a rifle which will be used solely as a WEAPON, which is a tool with which to kill human beings. It is its only purpose and hence the term WEAPON is accurate. My sporting rifle, an Uberti 1866 Yellowboy, is a rifle which has been yet to be used as a weapon and hopefully it never will be. Get the point now?

I'll leave all the grammatical terminology to the English majors and I'm sure somebody on here can elucidate and edumacate us all on participles, adjectives, verbs, and adverbs.

If you ever have to appear in a court of law defending yourself for a shooting in which you were involved and you use the word weapon in your defense, get used to a cell mate named Rocco who winks at you a lot for the next 30 years.

montana_charlie
06-28-2014, 10:44 PM
I deleted an inflammatory post.
Oh ... That makes the caution a reasonable one.
Otherwise, it looked like it came out of nowhere, for no reason ... after I went back and re-read the entire thread.

MBTcustom
06-28-2014, 10:46 PM
Oh ... That makes the caution a reasonable one.
Otherwise, it looked like it came out of nowhere, for no reason ... after I went back and re-read the entire thread.

Sorry about that. Sometimes I forget to see how the thread reads. My bad.

Bent Ramrod
06-29-2014, 01:34 AM
"The right to buy weapons is the right to be free."

A. E. Van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

I first read this story when I was in high school, and have never seen any reason to doubt the sentiment, before or since. Firearms are weapons, as are edged "weapons" and projectile "weapons." Ideas are the most powerful "weapons" of all. The idea that there are an infinite number of crypto-victims out there who must not be offended by anyone's thoughts, words or deeds is one of the most dangerous weapons in use today. I will not censor myself to cater to this notion, no matter who espouses it.

Catshooter
06-29-2014, 01:41 AM
Well, I think I've had my question answered adequately.

I don't agree with all the posts but that would hardly be newsworthy. :)

Thanks for the help boys.

Thanks Goodsteel for your moderation.

I think I'll close this now before the trolls find it and it gets out of hand. :)

Cat