PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolit logo patch (attempt)

pretzelxx
06-27-2014, 12:01 AM
So far, I've found some older software to get the logo cleaned up into a "workable" stitch converted picture. I've got it set to 14 thread colors, and the first render looks... well, pretty bad, actually.

I think what I'm going to do is clean up the boolits, cut down the "shading" for the threads and maybe ease the background color into maybe only three instead of what looks like 5 or so. Any suggestions as to what to do? Anyone who has worked on embroidery software have any input? This will probably take me another week or so to get something workable, by then I should have some workable images to throw around and make into actual patches.

The theory is having a velcro backing to it so most everyone can use them, I may see if the wife will help me find some of that iron on stuff too! I was hoping to keep it about the same size as a flag patch would be, but that might be a little difficult as it's slightly longer than tall.

Bloodman14
06-27-2014, 12:22 AM
When you get it figured out, I WANT SOME!!

rockshooter
06-27-2014, 12:36 AM
remember KISS? i'd recommend starting with 4-5 colors and see if adding colors adds to the overall design. Sometimes being too artistic just complicates things.
Loren

fastfire
06-27-2014, 12:53 AM
Can't make out the word cast..... what rockshooter said.

theperfessor
06-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Great idea, would love to have several of the finished products.

Echo
06-27-2014, 10:18 AM
I will need 3-4, but not iron-on - I have had problems w/IO patches curling up, and I have a seamstress handy for sewing...

osteodoc08
06-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Use fewer contrasting colors. 4-5 at most. I had many fraternity brothers work at a screen print shop and when the color numbers went up, so did the complexity and sometimes the T shirts looked aweful. Otherwise, keep at it and I'd love to have a few to put on my range bags, soft cases, etc.

Perhaps the light burnt orange back ground with light grey lettering and dark grey boolits. Contrasted, easily visible and distinguishable. Then work on adding layering/colors.

bangerjim
06-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Cut down on the colors! Too much shading makes it very hard to read.

banger

No_1
06-27-2014, 12:21 PM
We currently do not offer embroidered patches but other Cast Boolit products are available here: http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

Springfield
06-27-2014, 12:54 PM
You did have patches for a while, I have one.

dsbock
06-27-2014, 12:54 PM
I can try working on this as well. Generally speaking, CNC embroidery requires simple vector graphics.

David

Beagle333
06-27-2014, 01:12 PM
I got one from when Oneokie sold some patches on here one time. I think it was last summer. 8-)

No_1
06-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Ken had a few patches which were provided to him by a member but there are none available now.

Charley
06-27-2014, 01:59 PM
So far, I've found some older software to get the logo cleaned up into a "workable" stitch converted picture. I've got it set to 14 thread colors, and the first render looks... well, pretty bad, actually.

I think what I'm going to do is clean up the boolits, cut down the "shading" for the threads and maybe ease the background color into maybe only three instead of what looks like 5 or so. Any suggestions as to what to do? Anyone who has worked on embroidery software have any input? This will probably take me another week or so to get something workable, by then I should have some workable images to throw around and make into actual patches.

The theory is having a velcro backing to it so most everyone can use them, I may see if the wife will help me find some of that iron on stuff too! I was hoping to keep it about the same size as a flag patch would be, but that might be a little difficult as it's slightly longer than tall.

Try Embroiderydesign.com, they will convert it for you at a nominal price, as long as you have design rights, or it isn't copyrighted. My wife does a LOT of machine embroidery, she's curious about your background in embroidery.

fred2892
06-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Does this help? I kick myself for only ordering one from the original batch. Could do with a couple more.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/28/3y3ubyhe.jpg

Bloodman14
06-27-2014, 02:55 PM
^^^bingo!!

pretzelxx
06-27-2014, 05:34 PM
The thing about the program is that it starts with a picture. I'm working backwards to basically get to the old patch as I see above.

pretzelxx
06-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Try Embroiderydesign.com, they will convert it for you at a nominal price, as long as you have design rights, or it isn't copyrighted. My wife does a LOT of machine embroidery, she's curious about your background in embroidery.
My background is about 30 minutes working on some software the other day. I have none besides watching someone do it once.

RogerDat
06-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Fewer colors and vector graphics. Vector graphics maintain proportions when resized so you can adjust graphic to fit patch without distortion. Fewer colors yield clarity for embroidered logos. Cafepress is doing image printing so the full color version does look good. I think cafepress will do some items as embroidered but I might be thinking of Zazzle.

uncle joe
06-27-2014, 06:07 PM
SWMBO has a monogram machine, anybody have the logo digitized? we could do shirts for site benefit bucks.
!

Bad Water Bill
06-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Keep us posted.

SciFiJim
06-27-2014, 10:35 PM
I too, am curious about the software you are using. I owned an embroidery business for several years and always had to farm out the digitizing process. I could never do it well enough for commercial use. All of my time was spent with the embroidery machines.

pretzelxx
06-27-2014, 10:45 PM
The software is from brother. I might start fresh with a totally different image to convert to stitches. So far my tinkering seems.... useless

osteodoc08
06-28-2014, 02:29 PM
We'll keep at it. Love the patch that was pictured and would love to have a few. Surely beats a "G" glock symbol.

Bad Water Bill
06-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Why don't you contact ONEOKIE and find out where he had them done?

See post #12

pretzelxx
06-28-2014, 03:07 PM
That will probably be the best option. My original intent was to figure out how to use the machine and programs so it wouldn't just be a paper weight!

SciFiJim
06-28-2014, 11:10 PM
That will probably be the best option. My original intent was to figure out how to use the machine and programs so it wouldn't just be a paper weight!

digitizing4less.com is where I had my digitizing done. Reasonable rates and fast turn around. Keeping the machines running was the easy part.

MaryB
06-29-2014, 12:02 AM
I can edit that posted pic, what format do you need it in? I digitize stuff for vector graphics on my laser all the time. Something like this after I clean up the edges?

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/castboolitspatch_zps14db2138.jpg

pretzelxx
07-04-2014, 03:48 PM
For anyone who is watching the posts, I'm sort of in a slow working mode. Got ill for a few days so I was catching up on rest. Anyways, working on the original logo to convert to stitching by lowering the colors and what not. I may need an outside source!