PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone removed a Traditions .45 breechplug?

docone31
06-26-2014, 07:59 PM
I got this brandy 20yrs old new barrel, in .45 cal. I am a lefty, and it is a righty. I plan on removing the breech and installinghttp://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/663/1/PLUG-FH-14-5I can remove the last 1" but if I can unthread it, that would be simpler. The barrel is 33 1/2 so missing an inch is no biggee. I actually want to make a lefty Tryon style.Backhammer and all.Has anyone done it?

Tatume
06-27-2014, 07:07 AM
I removed a T/C Hawkin breech plug and installed an underhammer plug. It wasn't particularly hard to do. Use plenty of penetrating oil inside and out and let it soak overnight, put it on a padded anvil and tap the breech all around with a soft-faced hammer, then soak in penetrating oil overnight again. Then put the barrel in a padded vice, clamp it close to but not on the threaded area, and turn out the plug.

bubba.50
06-27-2014, 12:45 PM
the Spanish made cva/traditions breechplug, drum, and end of the barrel are interconnected and a lot of the machine work is done after assembly to line stuff up. so that inch or so of barrel is likely gonna hafta go anyway so ya might as well save a step & cut it now. luck & have a good'en, bubba

docone31
06-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks Bubba. That helps.I will probably attempt to remove the plug, but I will remove the end also. The Breech Plug I am looking at, is 5/8-18 so I will probably have to retap any way. New drum, new plug, and off to the races.The barrel is spankin new, it was in storage for many decades. I consider it a good platform for my build. I am a lefty so the rifle came backwards from the start.No rust, no bluing.Should be a clean build up for me.I might lap the barrel at this point also.

JeffinNZ
06-27-2014, 08:54 PM
I just removed my flinter's plug after 10 years. Two days soaking in Ed's Red and BINGO, out it came.

docone31
06-30-2014, 02:11 PM
I am going to bet, it is metric threads also. The breechplug I am looking at is SAE.MIght as well cut it off and retap.It will be more to my length also.

bob208
07-02-2014, 09:17 AM
you have to remove the drum first as it screws in and locks the breach plug in. I have seen many cva and tradition barrels nessed up by not doing it that way.

KCSO
07-02-2014, 09:36 AM
The breech is installed and then the drum is threaded into it and THEN the whole unit is drilled through the barrel for the powder chamber. They are not made to take apart at home, that is why the drum has no flats for a wrench. IF you use a special drum removal tool and IF you can get everything back up tight you MIGHT be able to do this yourself. I have replaced several of these boogered up drums from folks trying to FIX them themselves. I have a milling machine and a lathe and specil jigs to align everthing. I do not recommend you try this yourself unless you have a well equiped shop and some expirience.

fouronesix
07-02-2014, 10:25 AM
I am going to bet, it is metric threads also. The breechplug I am looking at is SAE.MIght as well cut it off and retap.It will be more to my length also.

Excellent choice to go with bubba.50's recomm. Even if you could get the drum and breech plug out cleanly, you'd still have an extra hole or two to deal with not to mention the likelihood of metric vs SAE threads or different major/minor diameters. The extra 2-3" of barrel length saved would come with a price :)