PDA

View Full Version : how does one sell on gunbrokers.com?

mozeppa
06-25-2014, 09:21 PM
wife owns a gun....wants to sell it.

undocumented gun

belonged to a friends , cousins grampa

now she has it.

how can one sell this on gunbrokers?

IraqVet1982
06-25-2014, 10:02 PM
What do you mean by "undocumented"

500MAG
06-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Normally requires FFL to FFL transfer.

GhostHawk
06-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Start by signing up.

From what I've seen gunbroker has some pretty good help pages regarding buying and selling.
I'd plan on spending an hour or so doing some reading.

Decide how you are willing to be paid, where you are willing to ship to, and what you think the gun is worth, and if you going to set a reserve so the gun doesn't sell if your price isn't met. (But you might end up oweing fee's to gunbroker.)

In short, do the research, put in the time.

cainttype
06-25-2014, 10:23 PM
The law allows you to ship directly to the buyer's FFL of choice, with your ID included. Many FFL receivers will not accept a private transfer via mail, so require an FFL on your end to ship to the firearm... so expect to have an FFL from your end mail the firearm.
Registering and placing adds on GB is explained in detail on the site.

mannyCA
06-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Depending on where you live you could try armslist.com and do an instate sale person to person.

Jupiter7
06-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Shipping kills us non-ffl people. Best to check local pawn shop or lgs about shipping for you. Otherwise, face to face at a gunshow or via arms list will net better returns.

IraqVet1982
06-26-2014, 06:05 PM
You can ship directly to a FFL.

Although the OP hasn't addressed what they mean by "UNREGISTERED"

If it's a homemade gun then it's illegal to sell. All guns get registered with the ATF at the manufacturer.

Tatume
06-26-2014, 06:30 PM
None of my guns are registered.

The manufacturer keeps records on which distributor received the guns. If a gun turns up in a crime the ATF can contact the manufacturer, then the distributor, then the dealer who sold the gun, and then the person who bought the gun from the dealer. There the trail may go cold. In most states the purchaser is not required to register the gun, nor is he or she required to keep any records of disposition.

Take care, Tom

Tatume
06-26-2014, 06:32 PM
It is legal to sell a homemade gun. It is not legal to manufacture guns for the purpose of selling without ATF licensing. A homemade gun must be serial numbered, and I think it must carry your name and address, like a commercially made gun. As long as the sales are "casual" and not for the purpose of being "in the business" the sales are legal.

Tatume
06-26-2014, 06:36 PM
I suspect that by "undocumented" the OP meant the guns were not purchased from a dealer, but were person-to-person sales. Either that or they had been in the family since before the ATF.

243winxb
06-26-2014, 06:51 PM
All the info is on Gunbroker.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-27-2014, 07:56 AM
Mozeppa where are you located? Most states do not have registration. Assuming you live in one of these states you have committed no crime. If you do happen to live in a People's Republic of ________ I suggest moving. Gunbroker makes it really easy to sell your gun and there are lots of informative tutorials on their site. A word of advice though is that most buyers are very hesitant to bid on a "new" sellers item. You may have better luck posting here or locally.

P.S. if it happens to be a S&W revolver please feel free to PM the details and I'll make you an offer.

Bonz
06-27-2014, 09:25 AM
wife owns a gun....wants to sell it.

undocumented gun

belonged to a friends , cousins grampa

now she has it.

how can one sell this on gunbrokers?

what kind of gun is it ? photos ?

Jayhawkhuntclub
06-27-2014, 11:00 AM
... set a reserve so the gun doesn't sell if your price isn't met. (But you might end up oweing fee's to gunbroker.)
Just put a minimum bid. Skip the "reserve" unless you want fewer bids. I never bid on a gun with one on it. Because the reserve is never met.[smilie=b: I really wish GB would lose the reserve feature.

thetelsteris this uk
06-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Is this uk?

Tatume
06-27-2014, 12:11 PM
"Is this uk?"

?

Jtarm
06-28-2014, 08:52 PM
I've sold on there a number of times.

The shipping difficulty mostly depends on whether it's a handgun or long gun.

You can ship either directly to an FFL in another state, but only FedEx and UPS will ship handguns being sent BY non-licensee, and they must be shipped priority overnight, which costs like $50 to send a letter across the street. I finally found a good dealer to handle my transactions. Had some real adventures with others.

I second the gun show suggestion. Unless you're planning to sell a lot, it's a PITA. You can get good money for your guns, though, and I've done enough that it's faster.

I don't like FTF transactions cause you never know what you're walking into, AND I'm sure not letting a stranger see my house.