PDA

View Full Version : Elmer Keith Articles

jroc
06-25-2014, 07:19 PM
I am not sure if this site has ever been posted before. It is new to me and I am going to post the link to it. If it is a repeat sorry. It's the Elmer Keith Memorial Website and it has links to a bunch of his articles from early American Rifleman and Guns and Ammo Gun Notes. I don't know if it will come up as a link or if it will have to be copied and paste.

http://www.elmerkeithshoot.org/GA/

Stonecrusher
06-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the link. Some good reading there.

rmatchell
06-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks for posting this ill have to go through all of these.

jroc
06-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Ya I've been reading since I found it earlier this evening. It never ceases to amaze me the knowledge that some of them old timers had. I grew up reading Elmer Keith, Jack Oconner,Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan and many others. Them guys had some incredible insights into ballistics without the technology we have today.

Treetop
06-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Thanks, jroc! I have Sixguns and Hell, I Was There​ by Keith. I've read them so many times that they are dog eared! What life he lived! Tt.

melloairman
06-25-2014, 09:42 PM
Thanks I am sure I will gain knowledge with these articles .Marvin

imashooter2
06-25-2014, 10:24 PM
Hell, I Was There! is available as a free download in a variety of formats here:

https://archive.org/details/Hell_I_Was_There_Elemer_Keith_Autobigraphy

David2011
06-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Thanks, jroc!

I just finished the March 1934 article on coyote hunting. Every handloader should read that article to realize how good we have it with the quality of bullets today. Expanding bullets as we know them were nonexistent at that time.

David

jroc
06-26-2014, 12:20 AM
Thanks imashooter2 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?52-imashooter2) for the link for "Hell, I Was There".

Screwbolts
06-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Thank you for posting this, I have several of his books with my favorite also being " Hell I was There "

Ken

jonp
06-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Very cool. Thanks for the links. I have read "Hell I Was There" on the Archive and it is an interesting story.

dek16001
06-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Thanks Jroc....
Dan

DR Owl Creek
06-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks for posting that! I'm a big Elmer Keith fan. That's good stuff.

Dave

offshore44
06-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the link...

gtgeorge
06-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the links guys. I am reading them a little at a time and enjoying the heck out of a glimpse of days gone by from someone who lived them :)

jroc
06-26-2014, 03:22 PM
I didn't know if many people would enjoy the Elmer Keith Memorial Site as much I do but apparently it is being enjoyed by many. I didn'realize you could download "Hell, I was there". Got me wondering what else is out there just by searching a little. I know I think it's the LASC'S site has a lot of older books archived.

gray wolf
06-26-2014, 03:54 PM
I wish I could read some or all of the articles, Julie and I only have dial up connection and it takes forever and ever to just down load one page and some of the stories are 5/6 pages long. Adobe reader is a slow way to go.
Does anyone know if they are available in something like HTML or someway else I could read them ?
Would be nice to have something to read.

GW

W.R.Buchanan
06-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Guys,,, Thanks so much for these links! EK was one of my favorite gun writers of all time. I relate to him perfectly and had I been given the immense honor of knowing him, I just know we would have gotten along famously.

They just don't make them like that any more.

I will read and absorb everything he has written.

When people talk about Elmer and Whelen few realize that they were in fact the fathers of modern sporting arms in this country. They also don't realize that these guys knew more about what a gun should be than any one before or since.

To say, "that they had forgotten more about guns than most of us will ever know," is probably a gross understatement.

I try to keep that in mind when operating within the boundaries of their expertise. IE: I don't question a whole lot of what they say.

They are what we call "Source Material."

Randy

brstevns
06-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Hey! Don't forget about Pete Brown!!

Ya I've been reading since I found it earlier this evening. It never ceases to amaze me the knowledge that some of them old timers had. I grew up reading Elmer Keith, Jack Oconner,Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan and many others. Them guys had some incredible insights into ballistics without the technology we have today.

harley45
06-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all the above links!!

jroc
06-26-2014, 08:33 PM
gray wolf I sent you a PM.

bangerjim
06-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks!

Guys, do some searching around on that site. A treasure trove of free books!!!!! Most are 200-500M PDF's, so you guys still with dial-up.......well.....time to get a fast connection or you are kinda out of luck.

But if you have a super fast connection like I do, those d/l in a couple minutes or less.

LOTS of good books there! LOOK AROUND!

banger

bangerjim
06-26-2014, 08:41 PM
I wish I could read some or all of the articles, Julie and I only have dial up connection and it takes forever and ever to just down load one page and some of the stories are 5/6 pages long. Adobe reader is a slow way to go.
Does anyone know if they are available in something like HTML or someway else I could read them ?
Would be nice to have something to read.

GW

According to the box at the left on the site page, they are in txt format that is much smaller. Don't know. I have a super fast connection and it downloaded the 500+M PDF in about 2 minutes.

banerjim

gray wolf
06-26-2014, 09:28 PM
High speed internet is not possible for Julie and I, it's 46 Kbps or nothing.
I guess we are to remote here at our little house, and we could never afford $ 70.00 a month for a dish.
That much money is a weeks worth of food, even with what we get from the Church pantry.
JROC I going to help me with the stories so I can read them.
Thank you Sir.

GW

bangerjim
06-26-2014, 10:13 PM
High speed internet is not possible for Julie and I, it's 46 Kbps or nothing.
I guess we are to remote here at our little house, and we could never afford $ 70.00 a month for a dish.
That much money is a weeks worth of food, even with what we get from the Church pantry.
JROC I going to help me with the stories so I can read them.
Thank you Sir.

GW

Good luck to you and God Bless! I know many are out in "the boonies" of sorts and do not have fast connections. At that speed, it would take a very long time to download those huge files, and you would be out of communications on the phone! I do around 35-40 Mbps or better.

Glad someone can help you get the files somehow. They can always be burned onto a CD and mailed to you!

But, hey.....enjoy life!

bangerjim

Newtire
06-26-2014, 10:17 PM
I am not sure if this site has ever been posted before. It is new to me and I am going to post the link to it. If it is a repeat sorry. It's the Elmer Keith Memorial Website and it has links to a bunch of his articles from early American Rifleman and Guns and Ammo Gun Notes. I don't know if it will come up as a link or if it will have to be copied and paste.

http://www.elmerkeithshoot.org/GA/Thank you jroc. We were just discussing Elmer with one of our group with "just a tad" more experience than either of us and now am craving some good Elmer stories.

jroc
06-26-2014, 10:39 PM
Gray Wolf it's coming your way via Priority Mail. You might have it Saturday but probably more like Monday. Enjoy.

Stonecrusher
06-27-2014, 09:34 AM
While I was reading this thread I thought, "Someone should send Gray Wolf a cd with the files on it." It never did cross my mind to "be" that person. Good job jroc. Thanks for stepping up and offering a favor. It also is a reminder to "attempt" to be more thoughtful myself.

This is what makes this site great! It makes a much nicer thread than folks getting riled up over nothing'. Or something.

gray wolf
06-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Yes men, JROC stepped up to the plate and hit one over the fence for me.

This is what makes this site great! It makes a much nicer thread than folks getting riled up over nothing'. Or something.

I guess we can all agree with that statement, EH.

jroc
06-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Gray wolf I would think that if I had limited internet access and wanted to see something that I was unable to download someone on here would have done the same for me. This is a great sight with a great bunch of guys on here. I like to treat people the same way I want to be treated, and hey when somebody wants ro read Elmer Keith articles they should have that opportunity. Stonecrusher if I somebody hadn`t already done it I`m sure you would have stepped up to the plate. I`m just happy this link has been enjoyed by so many.

fatelvis
06-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Wow, very nice link. Thanks!

jroc
06-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Graywolf when you get your cd if you have trouble opening it let me know and I will help you out. I am having knee replacement Monday but I will try to get on here Monday night. If I don`t one of these other guys will help you out.

Newtire
06-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Someone already beat me to it (imagine that!) and made a CD for Greywolf.

Thanks also imashooter2 for the Hell I Was There link.

Beerd
06-30-2014, 03:15 PM
a link to more prose from another gun writer:

http://www.darkcanyon.net/skeeter_skelton.htm

gray wolf
06-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Got them,
Yes I got my two CD,s from JROC ---- and JROCS CD,s rock !!!
Opened the little door, put in the disc, the files came up, double click and read, read, read.
I can't say thank you enough for going through the trouble, you were a great help.

GW ----Sam

jroc
06-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Graywolf no trouble. I`m glad I could heip you out. Jim

Geezer in NH
07-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Thank You for the link!!

woodbutcher
07-07-2014, 09:28 PM
[smilie=w:Just tuned in.Elmer Keith was one of my favorites also.Have his"Hell I was there"also.My wife has read some of it also and on a couple of stories she just about fell out of bed laughing.Bookmarked the other sites shown.Thanks for posting those.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

DisinterestedThirdParty
07-08-2014, 07:25 AM
"Ya can't have too much gun..."