PDA

View Full Version : Lune, gas checks, seating

sapper_eng
06-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Alright guys.

My my gas checks have finally arrved and I'm about to make not only my first reload ever, but my first cast reloads as well.

So I have a question for all you experienced casting and reloading experts.

Im about to size my cast boolits to .314 (for a .303 British slugged at .3125). The cast boolits all came out at around .314 and .3135. I've lubed them up before resizing with Lee Liquid ALOX. But do I need to let them dry before sizing or do I size them wet?

And if I let them dry before resizing, how long does the liquid ALOX take to dry?

ohland
06-25-2014, 09:23 PM
But do I need to let them dry before sizing or do I size them wet?

And if I let them dry before resizing, how long does the liquid ALOX take to dry?

First one is easy, let it dry. Second one, not a clue. I'm a loob monkey, working the handle of my LAM2.

Are these Lee boolits of the Tumble Lube (TL) persuasion? Is your sizer a Lee push-through?

:2 drunk buddies:

sapper_eng
06-25-2014, 11:09 PM
Thanks Ohland.

They arent tumble lube boolits, but everyone has said it doesn't make a difference. As for the sizer, yes it is a lee push through die.

Tatume
06-26-2014, 06:29 AM
You should let the Lee Liquid Alox dry overnight, and it's best if they are spread out so the bullets aren't touching each other.

ohland
06-26-2014, 01:06 PM
They arent tumble lube boolits, but everyone has said it doesn't make a difference. As for the sizer, yes it is a lee push through die.

Alox loobed will also work in a Lyman/RCBS loober. The Alox loob is pretty tough. Not sure if the Alox would need to be re-applied after sizing.

For me, the Lee push through would be fine (it does have nose first sizing!) but I'm a loob monkey.

blaster
06-27-2014, 02:11 PM
For rifle I dip lube by filling a cap with alox and dipping the bands of the bullet in lube.

I then stand them up on wax paper and let them dry for a day or 3, then size and check in one pass.

After that I load as is.

trixter
06-27-2014, 03:04 PM
I lube with Lee Liquid Alox. Process is: put about 100 boolits in a large Cottage Cheese tub, heat LLA in the microwave about 17 to 20 seconds. Squirt LLA on the boolits. Shake rattle and roll for about 30 seconds. (It's longer than you think) Pour out on wax paper covered $-Tree cookie sheets. Spread them out and either air dry for at least overnight. If I am in a hurry I will turn a fan on them and they are ready to go in about 3 hours. Next, ron them through the Lee Push Through Sizer then another round of LLA. I put the second coat of LLA on because I have chosen to, whether it is necessary or not I am not sure, however, I do not get any leading in any of my barrels, pistol or rifle. YMMV

DukeInFlorida
07-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Using straight Alox (I suggest you buy "White Label" brand Xlox, which is the same stuff, but much cheaper) is too thick!

You should thin the alox/xlox with mineral spirits to where the mineral spirits takes on a beige color. Dip or tumble the boolits in that thinned mixture. The mineral spirits should evaporate in about an hour. Spread on waxed paper, and roll every now and then to hasten the spots that are still wet. When dry, the boolits should almost have a clear coating on them, which is more than enough tumble lube to do the job.

I don't tumble lube any more, preferring to do a real sizing and bees wax based lube in my Lyman 4500 Lubricizer. However, when I used to tumble lube using the method I described, I was often able to load those boolits within an hour of lubing them.

John Boy
07-02-2014, 05:38 PM
After the bullets are tumbled and spread out on the wax paper - take your wifes or yours [smilie=s: hair dry and heat the bullets up. Warming the Alox'ed bullets quickens the drying. I have reloaded with them as soon as about 4 hours but by 8 hours they are ready to be used

Be sure to cut the Alox with mineral spirts. Otherwise it is a long drying process

joesig
07-02-2014, 06:06 PM
You may wish to polish the inside of your die with some 400 and 600 grit paper before you resize. It will make the job much more pleasant. If you polish the die well, you can skip the prelube and just lube after you've sized.

It has to dry first. Thinning before tumbling saves lube and speeds time. Strongly suggest you do that.

This thread may help you too:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67654-Tumble-Lubing-Made-Easy-amp-Mess-Free

Good luck with your reloads!

10x
07-03-2014, 08:04 AM
I use Lee Liquid Alox in a heavy duty Zip lock bag. I drop a pea sized gob of Lee Liquid mule snot on about 100 bullets in the bag, give it a quick shot of Brake Clean (in a well ventilated place) to dilute the alox, force the air out of the bag and work the alox over the bullets.
then dump them out of the bag (once again in a well ventilated area) on to wax paper on a garage sale cookie sheet to dry. The Brake clean evaporates in minutes and the alox seems to set up faster. They should be a dark color rather than shiny. If the alox pools at the bottom of the bullet you may have used too much.

I will do a light layer of Liquid alox, let it dry, install the gas check and size, then do a second coat of Lee Liquid Alox. I have yet to have leading in any of my guns using this process.
I have gotten into the habit of