PDA

View Full Version : Saeco #221 OAL

MGnoob
06-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Just like the title, what oal are you guys using with you saeco #221 projectiles? Are you using the crimp groove, or do you guys leave them longer?
I've been leaving them longer like i usually do at early stages of load devolment. Also it lets me quickly see if i am getting bullet setback.I also leave my projectiles as long as will reliably feed, now i am trying to achieve more accurate loads and just wanted to see what others where doing, and yes i did google search thoughly.

I guess this is more of an ar15/semiauto question although those shooting them from bolt guns are welcome to teach us semi guys about accuracy.
mine are 2.2" long and if i seated them .07 deeper they would be crimped in the groove nicely. I going to try them there...then when i shake a load cartridge i don't think i will be able to feel the powder shifting around anymore ie full @ 23 grains ramshot exterminator. (there may be alittle room left and you could definatley compress more in there)

DR Owl Creek
06-26-2014, 11:25 AM
I have the NOE version of that mould, but I have cast anything with it yet. I'm interested in the answer too.

Dave

IT Hitman
06-26-2014, 12:52 PM
i usually try and get them as close to the same length of a standard FMJ round as i can with my #221. i also have the NOE version. i have had a few issues with that depth however. every once in a while the RN will catch on the ramps and cause a jam. Id say 13-15/1000 rounds will do this. i never really payed any attention to it. if it fits it ships in my AR. i get some nice groupings to. about 1 1/2 inch at 50 yards with 18 gr of varget. i enamel coat my rounds though. idk if that makes a difference.

MGnoob
06-26-2014, 06:02 PM
I was using the same thinking, that you could use a fmj to get a good starting oal. which is what i did......which also happen to be just short enough to fit in the mag.which is where i would have started anyway.My experience is also similar with the Rn jamming on the "star"for the locking lug, I still think it is a magizine issue.Although crimping short at the crimp groove my help with this.
Also with just naked lead it'll bend the projectile, it seemed to be less of and issue when i coated them and no issue one i plated them.although after plating they are 22-24 Bn (wd ww)

Thanks for the help maybe s few other will chime in.

Hitman, What Velocity do you achieve with 18gr of varget?

IT Hitman
06-26-2014, 07:19 PM
just over 2k fps

.22-10-45
06-26-2014, 07:59 PM
When I was doing load development for my .22 Hornet & .222 Rem., The biggest boost in accuracy came when I made a tapered sizing die to taper size 1st. band to match my leade angle in throat. The threaded adjustment rod on my Lyman 45 allows precise dia. & taper length. When bullet seating, O.A. length is adjusted so as to fully engrave this tapered band as action closes. This final step in my gradual accuracy improvements allowed me to fully equal best match jacket bullet accuracy at 100yds. These rifles are both single-shots..the Hornet is a Shillen barreled Sharps Borchardt & the .222 is a Ruger No. 1..so this info probably wouldn't work for semis.

IT Hitman
06-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Iv been enamel coating my .224 lately. That seemed to cut down on my issues with binding in the barel extension. It also increases the durability slightly and i have not had any leading whatsoever.

MGnoob
06-27-2014, 12:39 AM
My most accurate loads where epoxy coated, they sometimes leave shaving or residue on the star but always fed.i always felt there accuracy was due to how soft they were.
I have anther thread in the gas check forum about hardness that i may ties into this thread when i get some response.I guess i should try epoxy coating the saeco..i've only coated the lyaman and the saeco is just better.
.22-10-45 i though your post was helpfull