PDA

View Full Version : What is with cabelas?

Bad Water Bill
06-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Early this mourning I clicked on the Cabelas banner.

Wow they had a pair of moccasins I liked and they were $10.00 off so I proceeded to order them.

When I hit confirm the sale price had vanished.

I called the home office and was told they no longer stock that # and they are sold out therefor I could not order them even at the regular price.

I just tried the stock # and the site took the sale confirmed they are still in stock and will be at my local store Tuesday.

Sure they could get things straight.[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

doctorggg
06-25-2014, 01:14 PM
I would expect better from Cabelas. However the almighty dollar rules today. Companies hiring people at minimum wage who don't know their head from their ****. I am seeing too much of this lately. It is so frustrating.

starmac
06-25-2014, 02:04 PM
lol The joys of internet shopping. lol

Bad Water Bill
06-25-2014, 03:34 PM
lol The joys of internet shopping. lol

Yes.

Before, all I could do was cry in my beer.

Now OVER 34,000+ folks across the world know a dirty old man was done wrong.:evil:

fishnbob
06-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Since Dick passed away I haven't been able to afford anything in their catalog. WTH is right!!!

gtgeorge
06-25-2014, 03:49 PM
I too was shocked when we finally got one in town. I really don't see how they sell anything except BP pistols. #10 caps were plentiful on my last visit but as always I walked out empty handed. They were $7.99 per 100.

Hickok
06-25-2014, 04:09 PM
We have a Cabela's in Wheeling WV, and it is a wasted trip for me to go there, as prices are way too high. If I go through that way, I stop at Old Washington PA, as there is an excellent gunstore there, right of I-70, "Aces Sporting Goods."

NSB
06-25-2014, 04:51 PM
I've had nothing but great experiences with Cabela's for over forty years. I've never purchased anything from them that they wouldn't take back if I wasn't happy with it. Not one thing. I received three different Pedersoli rifles from them that were either damaged in shipment or defective. They jumped through hoops to make it right with me. Full refund and gift cards for my inconvenience. In forty years I don't remember them ever leaving me stuck with something I didn't like or something that was defective. If you don't like the prices or the selection go somewhere else. The next post on here will be either Dicks, Gander Mountain, or Bass Pro. Doesn't seem like any of the big box stores are getting it right, yet they're still making billions a year. That's billions with a B, not an M. I don't think they're getting it all wrong. Satisfied people don't complain. FYI, every time I had a complaint with any of the big box stores a simple phone call to the right person made it all better.

BruceB
06-25-2014, 05:35 PM
My sentiments about Cabela's echo those of NSB.

After decades of seeing only the catalogs (living in Northern Canada), I was eager to experience the stores "in the flesh", and when the Cabela's in Reno opened its doors, I was NOT disappointed.

In the years since, I've not been a particularly frequent customer, but on every occasion, either by mail/on-line orders or personal shopping, I've been very satisfied and pleased with the experience.

Among other things, the Reno store has honored Internet sale prices for merchandise they had in stock.... no questions asked, just good service. Find a good price on-line, print out the info, take it to the store.....and pay the sale price.

This policy once saved me almost a hundred dollars on a spinning rod that was NOT on-sale in the store. Instances like this will quickly gain customer loyalty.... and they have mine.

imashooter2
06-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Prices reflect the quality of customer service and those fantastic stores they build. Well worth the trip to Hamburg PA even if I'm not buying.

marlin39a
06-25-2014, 09:10 PM
My Cabelas is 125 miles away in Glendale, AZ. I have done great with rimfire ammo and close outs shipped to store for free. I get down there once a month to pick up purchases. I think Cabelas does good by me.

freebullet
06-25-2014, 09:16 PM
anymore they are overpriced.

kencha
06-25-2014, 09:19 PM
I can tolerate Cabelas. Probably because there aren't really any other local options. Their pricing structure is *****'d though.

Online vs in-store pricing sometimes doesn't match. That's just silly. I've had a time or two where they wouldn't even match their own prices. (I never pushed the issue though, and they weren't "online-only" sale prices either.)

The local one has had a habit of not changing shelf tags too. You never know what an item will ring up at on the register. Most of the time it is the same, but there are plenty of times that it is an issue.

They did have their jeans (which I like, since I can't afford $160 for a pair of American made jeans) on sale for $12/pr a while back. I'm set for jeans probably for life. :)

But, I can definitely relate to the OP. Their inventory/pricing backend really needs some work. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't _think_ it is done on purpose, but who's to say?

I just get a feeling they, as a company, have gone the way of almost all other corporations (heck, I think they were a leader). "Can I get your phone number?" and "Do you have a Cabela's card?" -- a corporation run by bean counters who probably consider walking the shih tzu an outdoor adventure, and who have no idea what's actually going on at the customer level. I'm quite surprised they haven't off-shored the call center yet.

country gent
06-25-2014, 09:27 PM
I enjoy the Dundee Cabellas store for alot of reasons one is the help from sales people. When I bought my pendersoli Sharps I was asking about info for Blackpowder loading and the sales person I was dealing with called over several others all were honest and admitted they had no experience with black powder cartridge loading. One of the few times I had slaes people admit they didnt know. One did syggest picking up SPGs manual. M grandson loves the displays of stuffed animals, aquairium and trout stream. I always go to the "Bargain Cave" and check for shoes and to see whats there. Awhile back I found a 100 count bag of 45-90 starline cases for 75.00. Theu offer alot for everyone.

TXGunNut
06-25-2014, 09:52 PM
I'm a big Cabelas fan but I seldom pay full price for much of anything. I've found the shirts I like in the bargain basement for less than half price, scored some flannel lined jeans (gotta think ahead!) recently for under $20. They put my shirts and jeans and most other clothes on sale 2-3 times a year, I can wait. My shorts are on sale now. :-) That C&B revolver they have on sale may follow me home this weekend, we'll see.
Yes, their overhead is huge but I enjoy spending time in there. If I don't like their prices I rack up lots of Cabelas points buying gas every month so it doesn't hurt so much. I bought my 3/4 hp meat grinder when they made a mistake on their online ad, nearly $150 off so they will match online prices.
Yes, they may seem expensive but it pays to be an educated consumer. I'd tell you my Gun Library strategies but they won't work if everyone does it. ;-)

Handloader109
06-25-2014, 10:02 PM
I like looking at a lot of their stuff, spent some money there, I had issues with price on shelf vs register one day. 3of 5 items rang up high, spent time to get someone to verify. Complained online through survey, phone call a few weeks later, no real results, back in a while back and I waited over 15 min at register to ring up one item that wouldn't come up. Arrg

TXGunNut
06-25-2014, 10:03 PM
I enjoy the Dundee Cabellas store for alot of reasons one is the help from sales people. When I bought my pendersoli Sharps I was asking about info for Blackpowder loading and the sales person I was dealing with called over several others all were honest and admitted they had no experience with black powder cartridge loading. -country gent

I've been known to help field a few questions when the clerk doesn't know or is busy. They just moved a bunch of stuff but I'm pretty observant and can generally answer "where is___?" better than the average employee. Reloading guy appreciates the help, he checked the incoming powder shipments for me a few weeks back and I scored some much-needed powder the following weekend.

SciFiJim
06-26-2014, 12:12 AM
There is a Cabelas in Springfield OR that I drive by and visit once a year on the way to visit family. To me, the store is like the old Green Stamps stores. I spend the accumulated points on my Cabelas card. The last trip a week ago, I got a new dutch oven. My last one wandered off with one of the kids, so I needed an new one for making gumbo and stews.

oldred
06-26-2014, 10:22 AM
The bottom line is those big flashy stores with all that glitter plus paying all those employees cost a LOT of money and if they tried to compete price-wise with a mail order outfit that operates basically out of a warehouse with FAR fewer employees they wouldn't be around very long. For this reason I almost never buy anything from Gander Mountain or Bass Pro but I still enjoy going in on occasion although after a few times it has gotten old and we don't visit very often anymore. If a person is willing to pay the prices they ask and enjoys the atmosphere of the store then they will love the place(s) but expecting all that fancy store scenery (for lack of a better description) at mail-order prices and then complaining because prices are high is just being unrealistic.

WILCO
06-26-2014, 10:26 AM
I would expect better from Cabelas. However the almighty dollar rules today. Companies hiring people at minimum wage who don't know their head from their ****. I am seeing too much of this lately. It is so frustrating.

Vote with your wallet. It really is that simple.

HeavyMetal
06-26-2014, 10:31 AM
I vist family in Minden NV at least twice a year, a year or so ago I was up, Thanksgiving, and was looking at Cabella's on line. saw a real good deal on estate shotgun shells and called to see if the deal applied to the 28 gauge, I was told it was ( $80 a flat) as I had several gift cards from my credit card "points" I went up Black Friday morning and went in to buy the shells.

Spoke to a sales person, price quoted over the phone was wrong (only 12 gauge at that price) but they would honor the price because the sale person I talked to had already told the manager and advised him of said mistake!

As I had told them I was on my way he had advised Gun dept staff somone would be asking for the estate 28 gauge deal! I was out the door with a 250 round flat of 28 gauge ammo for $80!

I don't get into Cabella's that often and I might not spend a lot of money on pricey stuff but so far I think the customer sevice end of the store is way better than Wal Marts!

Cornbread
06-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Cabela's has been a mixed bag for me over the years. There is one of their stores off I-90 in Post Falls Idaho on my way to and from seeing my kids so I could stop there any time but I almost never do. The only times I stop are when my kids are with me and they want to see what my youngest calls "dead animal mountain". I like looking at all those life size mounts too so it isn't a super hard sell.

When I buy from them it is generally something I can't get anywhere else and I have it delivered to the store and I pick it up on my way through that way I have no shipping costs. I got my Finnish ice auger this way and I buy some Japanese fishing lures for pike this way as well. I buy my kids boots through them too because the kid is really hard on boots and they have always replaced them for free if they give out before they should.

Most other things I can get from Black Sheep or online much cheaper, so I do but for those rare items I can't get elsewhere I have no problem buying from Cabela's. Their customer service is excellent for me so far.

troyboy
06-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Cabelas is first rate, top shelf. Love the bargin cave.

376Steyr
06-27-2014, 06:09 PM
The Boise Cabela's has the Elmer Keith gun collection on display. You can press your nose against the glass and be 6 inches away from his 4" Model 29 and his #5 revolver. I think they lose money on me for the cost of Windex alone.

dragon813gt
06-27-2014, 06:57 PM
The one in Hamburg, PA is close enough to be convenient to go there. I'm probably there once a month if you average it out over a year. A good portion of my firearms have come from there. I don't like having to drive to a bunch of smaller shops only to not find what I was looking for. I've bought a lot out of the Gun Library. They're like all firearm retailers when it comes to prices. You have to know what's a good deal or not. They're usually slightly higher in price on new models. But they have them in stock unlike the smaller stores. When it comes to reloading components. They are usually a lot higher than online retailers. But when you only need a box of bullets their price is usually less than what you would pay after having them shipped to your house. Clothing, I don't bother because they're really over priced and poor quality IMO. I would be upset if I made a special trip there because they usually don't have what I went there for to begin w/.

winchester85
06-27-2014, 10:20 PM
i used to buy a lot of stuff from cabela's. clothes, boots, arrows, broadheads, reloading stuff etc...

i have a cabela's credit card so i always have some money to spend with them, in years past it was never an issue. now i go sometimes six months and then have to scour the sale catalogs to find something i want. i have not bought reloading stuff from them in years except when they had some z-max bullets on sale a few months ago. i started buying cabela's kangaroo leather boots about 15 years ago, every couple of years they would "change" them. every time the quality dropped and the price went up. last pair i bought was nearly $200 and within a couple of weeks they leaked badly. they replaced them with a "new product" which had the soles falling off in a few days. i finally took back several pairs of "waterproof" boots and bought one pair of NON-cabela's brand.

i think their prices have gone up, the cabela's branded products have dropped in quality, and every now and then some products they have that i LIKE gets discontinued!