PDA

View Full Version : Babbitt

Jeffreytooker
01-18-2008, 09:22 PM
A fellow gave me 22 lb. of babbit. The two marked ingots are 4 lb. each and cast in a mold that says "American Smelting And Refining" Babbitt. the rest of it is in smaller ~ about 2.2 lb unmarked ingots. the unmarked ingots have a small tail near the upper left hand corner. They are as hard as the marked ingots. They appear to be babbit. I know there are several kinds of Babbitt. So any ideas?

Jeffrey Tooker
Paynes Ck Ca.

mainiac
01-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Ive been sledding down this slippery slope for a while now. Adding babbit to your alloy, makes very shiny,hard boolits. Everytime I experiment with it, it ends up plugging the spout in my rcbs bottom pour pot! Im really hesitant to use it of late because of this only reason. I aint got patience to do the ladle pour thing, so havnt been fooling with babbit. Felix is the man to ask about this voo-doo stuff!

Tom W.
01-19-2008, 03:19 PM
I haven't had any problems with it, and I've been using it for almost 20 years...I 've used it straight, mixed with lead, and mixed with Wheel weights. The straight babbitt makes very hard and somewhat lighter bullets. Mixing it hardens up your other alloys, making harder bullets. I now mostly just add a piece to my pot to help with the hardness.

mroliver77
01-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Article by Felix on babbit here
http://www.castpics.net/index2.htm