PDA

View Full Version : Coating a Stainless Steel Cleaning Rod

kungfustyle
06-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Hello,
I didn't know where to post this. So here is the question: I have a Berrymfg 40" stainless steel cleaning rod that I bought for my Mosin Nagant a few years ago. The thing works great, but I'm wondering is there a coating that I can put on the thing that it wont scratch up my rifles? I've tried electrical tape....epic fail on that one. Is there a spray enamel or such that will stay on and not harm the bbl?

blikseme300
06-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Heat shrink tubing is what I used.

country gent
06-24-2014, 05:48 PM
YEP Hit the local hardware store with the dia of the rod and length you need. They should have it by the foot. Slip on the cleaned and degreased rod apply heat and it will shrink up tight on the rod. I have to use it on my big dewey rod as the hammer spurs on my cpa and hepburn oth take a toll on its coating.

MostlyLeverGuns
06-24-2014, 05:53 PM
There are two thoughts about cleaning rods 'coated' and uncoated. One - a coated rod will pick-up grit and can wear the rifling, muzzle or throat. A steel rod will not pick up grit, but is not as hard as barrel steel so the uncoated steel rod will cause less damage. I mostly use coated rods, but realistically with a proper bore guide for throat or muzzle and some care, your cleaning rod should NOT be rubbing the bore. An empty cartridge case can be drilled and used as a bore guide in the chamber.

bannor
06-24-2014, 08:22 PM
No more accurate than Mosin's are, I doubt bore wear from a cleaning rod is ever going to matter. Are you using corrosive primers? If so, a good soaking in boiling water should come first, then the rest of your cleaning. Treat the gun as you would as if it were a muzzleloader using black powder.

kungfustyle
06-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the foresight. However, I'm hanging on to the 2nd half of my spam can and shooting cast out of the Mosin now. I wanted to use the rod to help clean other rifles, hence the concern. Love the idea of using a drilled case... I will have to go see about the shrink tubing.

zuke
06-28-2014, 06:27 AM
I made on up out of a 36 inch piece of 1/4 inch stainless steel rod foe my Pedersolli sharp's. I use it as is. Later made up a couple more for 30 cal and 22 cal

markshere2
07-08-2014, 09:17 PM
I stick with Aluminum cleaning rods for minimal wear on crown & bore.