PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Point Wad Cutters?

bedbugbilly
06-24-2014, 10:02 AM
I am curious if a hollow point wad cutter would be a functional boolit? I googled "hollow point wad cutter" and didn't' come up with much - got hollow base and an image of a boolit that sort of resembled a HP - but not a whole lot more.

Hollow points are used for hunting and SD but the boolit usually is of a more "pointed" design and not a flat nosed hunk of lead. I've never seen a HP WC so am just curious.

I am not advocating a HP wad cutter - just curious as to what it would do as far as "in flight" and "expansion" on impact? I realize that the main purpose of a WC is paper punching and target shooting/plinking and there are better designs of boolits for SD/hunting.

As an example - if you took a standard 148 gr WC and put a tapered hole in the nose (like most HP boolits have) - would it fly straight or would it be prone to tumbling and key holing? I don't hunt, other than critters like woodchucks and such, but when it hit the target (such as in hunting or a solid of some type) nose first (assuming it would fly straight) - would it mushroom out like a standard HP or because of the "bulk" of it, would it just "smash" out similar to a solid WC on impact?

I cast/shoot 148gr & 160gr WC - both solid base. I've never played with hollow base WC. I did run across several images where it appeared that the cartridge was loaded with the hollow base out but I wouldn't consider that a "hollow point".

I know there are a lot of bullet designs out there for WC that I'm not aware of so perhaps there is one for a HP WC? I am assuming that if a WC was made in HP, the diameter of the hole and depth would have an impact on bullet flight - i.e. keeping it "balanced" in flight so it didn't tumble? Would the width of the nose on a WC, with a HP added, cut down on the FPS that the boolit travels (in theory - due to the HP adding more resistance - or does that not happen?.

This may be "bullet design 101" so my apologies - I'm just curious and perhaps someone much wiser than me can explain what the effect would be to put a HP in a WC in terms of "flight", "impact", etc.? Many thanks!

Beagle333
06-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Like this one?
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/Picture026_zps2818b49b.jpg

It flies straight. It's my favorite .357 boolit. I call it the "Turtle Buster". :cool:
It doesn't so much mushroom as it "plumps" when it hits. But the terminal effect is determined by the HP depth. The pin on mine is adjustable and if it is very shallow, it'll flatten the nose, but if it goes 3/4 of the way through it, she'll plump up to a .45 cal diameter.
This is after a water jug at 1050 fps.
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/tb-expand_zps0e4a05a7.jpg

prs
06-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Hollow point SWC is done on occasion.

prs

Tatume
06-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Hollow based wad cutters have been loaded backwards for decades. They shoot well, and are very effective as self defense bullets.

Buck Neck It
06-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Ben, what is your alloy? Any leading?

GLL
06-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Not exactly a hollow-point but works well at 50 yards.
Custom modified by Buckshot. :)

http://www.fototime.com/E92CDCFCEF2173B/standard.jpg

Jerry

StrawHat
06-25-2014, 06:42 AM
Years ago I loaded the HBWC backwards and tested it against water jugs and samll game with the idea of using it for SD loads. I found the soft lead boolit expanded excessively if shot faster than target loads and even at target speeds was not giving me the penetration I wanted.

The boolit pictured by Beagle333 looks to be cast from a good alloy and gives decent expansion and looks like it would pentrate well.

What I eventually chose was a full wadcutter, cast from a harder alloy and shot at 850-900 fps. Great pentetration, accuracy and easily controlled.

bedbugbilly
06-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Thank you all for the information - greatly appreciated! I like trying different boolits and I can see that I need to be on the look out for a WC mold to modify to HP. Thanks for posting the photos - some interesting boolits for sure and I can see that the door is wide open to play around and experiment with WC. All of the information was very helpful and interesting - I really wasn't aware of how a WC could be modified and still "fly". Interesting stuff! Thanks very much!

44Vaquero
06-26-2014, 07:24 PM
.32 H&R Magnums loaded with Hornady HBWC's Left to right too fast to too slow the middle just about right! Accurate and fun to shoot!

dbosman
07-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Try the same experiments with a gas check on the solid end of the HBWC.

Cmm_3940
07-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Hollow based wad cutters have been loaded backwards for decades. They shoot well, and are very effective as self defense bullets.

.38 Spl. swaged HBWC's loaded upside down are great for using on coons and possums in the barn where you REALLY don't want a ricochet.. *SPLAT!*

TMenezes
07-06-2014, 08:41 AM
You don't have to just look for already modified molds. You have sevearl options.

If you want your currant mold hollowpointed go to Hollowpointmolds.com. He modifies them for you. He also has many of the cheap Lee molds in stock ready to modify for you. If he doesn't have the one you want then just call him and ask.

You could also look over the molds at NOE, I have seen hollow point wadcuttermolds custom made and in stock. If none are in stock you can look over the group buys being planned by them or Mihec. I know there was a group buy planned by one of them for hollow point wadcutters.

I too like full wadcutters, I have a mold for 38/357. And was looking for molds in 44 and 45 awhile back. Recently had my first kid so that project took a back seat to more important things. Good luck in your search.

PS if your looking for expansion at slow to moderate speeds you need to use something like 20-1 lead. In my molds 20-1 around 1,000 fps works pretty well. If your going moderate to high velocity then a small amount of antimony may be needed. Too much though and your slug will either not expand or will shatter. Good luck man.

ironhead7544
07-12-2014, 09:05 PM
The original Hydra-Shok was a hollow point wadcutter for the 38 Special. They also sold the bullets and I loaded some. Had the post in the center of the hollow point

Hardcast416taylor
07-13-2014, 12:19 PM
I used to load HBWC boolets made by Speer in both .38`s and .357 mag. rounds. Best results were with the .38`s, but not past 30 ft. for hitting what you are aiming at. Water jug testing was a mix of good and bad. Shooting at a 2x6" board was also interesting. Now adays I just use a good 150 gr. SWC at a decent velocity to settle the discussion.Robert